Doubles UU

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DUU Nominations (order: Clius / Yoda / TTree / xzern / n10sit)

Arcanine 1 <- 1.5 -> 2 -> 2.5 -> 3
Clius: Arcanine perhaps fits best at 2, with the introduction of victini it’s use has dropped, but still has access to intimidate and solid offensive and defensive capabilities.

Yoda: 2. Could possibly see drop again later on but 2 is fine for now. See previous post for reasoning, wisp/intim/snarl isn’t that good over other Fire-types.

TTree: Leaning towards dropping this to 2, my peers seem to agree. The only niches I can see it having over the many other fires are defensive but supportive sets aren’t good so…. meh.

Xzern: 1.5. Use him as a physical attacker u fools. Support set is bad in doubles

N10sit: 2. I vastly prefer entei, only thing arcanine has over entei is intimidate. Also does not compare to other 1.5 mons, as I find arcanine requires more support than it provides.

MAero 1.5 -> 1
Clius: Mega Aerodactyl is perhaps one of the first threats that comes to mind when teambuilding, shuts down teams that are unprepared for it, crazy speed, however it is very frail and loses to most forms of speed control so I’d be okay with keeping it at 1.5.

Yoda: No. Mega Aero is really good, but has some flaws such as weakness to TR, weak Flying STAB meaning it does worse against stuff like Tang and Yama than you would want, and struggling against Steels and Waters.

TTree: 1.5. Too many good things beat this far too easily: Genesect and Mega Blastoise being the biggest ones.

Xzern: 1.5. Frail and stuff

N10sit: 1.5. Definitely not splashable, doesn't have great typing and is very frail. Doesn't hit very hard despite high attack stats and speed is beat by scarves and trick room.

Virizion 4 -> 3 -> 2.5
Clius: Virizion deserves 3. 2.5 is a bit much given how many things wall it or ohko it.

Yoda: 3. Better than 4 at least, but has a lot of unfavourable matchups looking at 1/1.5 and it isn’t the strongest. Also there are lot of better Grass/Fighting types which it faces competition from.

TTree: 3, as I said earlier it’s clearly better than all the other things in 4. I’m fairly consistently disappointed by its damage output, but decent coverage, bulk, and that perfect weight to avoid Sky Drop definitely make it better than 4.

Xzern: 3 makes sense. Its definitely better than shiftry, aromatisse, etc. not on par with 2.5 threats like sableye and reuniclus though

N10sit: 4. Virizion hits like a 3 year old girl. I disagree that it's better than shiftry due to the support shiftry provides, while Virizion does a bad job at fulfilling its role as an attacker. It only bops frail things.

Diancie 1 -> 1.5
Clius: diancie is one of the best mons in this tier absolutely not.

Yoda: No. Diancie is by far one of the best Pokemon there is and checking Volc/Zard X wasn’t it’s only niche. It’s one of the best TR setters and users in the tier, with Diamond Storm being as great and ever, and is really bulky due to typing and stats. Rock/Fairy coverage is still amazing in DUU, just look down the VR.

TTree: 1, I’d even go so far as to say one of top 3 Pokemon in the tier. To be fair to Tymano, who nommed this, it was when we mistakenly led people to believe that Volcarona would be tournament banned. Still, even without Volc, I think I’d leave Diancie in 1.

Xzern: quick question: what the fuck. Diancie is very splashable, even on non-trick room teams as a beyond-solid check to fires. Try the life orb set sometime

N10sit: who nommed this wtf

Hoopa 1.5 -> 2
Clius: dies to dark and ghost, however both are not that common in this tier, can perform tremendously in right conditions, no.

Yoda: 1.5. Quite strong, Ghost typing is nice when FO is everywhere, and isn’t as frail as you would think (pretty bulky specially). Works well on TR and against it which is pretty good.

TTree: 1.5, it’s so incredibly powerful and has some cool 3rd move options like Energy Ball, Ally Switch, Focus Blast, and Sub. Yes it’s frail but give this a little bit of support and it definitely pulls its weight.

Xzern: no it’s very good as an attacker and trick room stop (taunt user that isn’t hit by fake out. I really like using taunt hoopa idk about you guys) it hits really hard and the only really effective checks to it are dark types, nothing else can switch in as easily

N10sit: ahh this is tough. Super bad typing but it's so strong and has great coverage and can set TR offensively. I think it has to stay in 1.5 but it's fringe.

Serperior 2 -> 1.5
Clius: No, it needs to get off one leaf storm to be a threat, while its speed is good its coverage is not.

Yoda: No. Needs a boost to threaten a lot of stuff, also it’s really weak to tini, gene, maero, and bat (also volc while it’s here). Glare helps can catch switches but you still lose most of the time, and you miss taunt/coverage to have it.

TTree: Definitely needs the boost, and even with one boost I’m still frequently overestimating its damage output. I mean… +2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 268-317 (89 - 105.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO.

Xzern: no it’s not as good as other 1.5 threats like latias and salamence. Has frailness and bad coverage. Cant see it being better than shaymin

N10sit: no, requires support like arcanine and it just doesn't compare to 1.5 mons as xzern said

Deoxys-A 1.5 -> 2
Clius: abstain. Deoxys-attack should perform extremely well in this tier in theory, have yet to see it perform to what I expect it to be, but it hasn’t been long enough to say that this mon isn’t an absolute monster offensively.

Yoda: Abstain. Hits super hard, but weakness to TR and prominence of FO hurt it a lot.

TTree: I can definitely see this dropping, fullroom is great and of course this is strong as hell but every team is either fullroom or has an abundance of setup attackers / priority attackers which just leaves Deo-A a bit stifled.

Xzern: yes, seems to fit the 2 description. Gets decked by every form of speed control and every priority attack, but is still good and poses great offensive pressure

N10sit: lol if TR wasn't so prominent i’d be like wtf but i think it has to go to 2 because of how the metagame is going

Magnezone UR -> 4 -> 3 -> 2.5 -> 2
Clius: solid attacker in TR, a variety of good sets (wp sturdy, scarf) can keep the opponent guessing, beats many top tier threats in the tier once fires and fightings are gone (which mind you can also be taken out by a wp attack once sturdy activates). Walls many teams that are unprepared for it. “Pokemon which, while good, either only fit on specific team archetypes, fill solely supportive roles, or have some glaring weakness.” pretty much sums this pokemon up. 2 for me.

Yoda: 3. Clius has used it to success but then again he has with weirder things. Typing is nice but slow and struggles with stuff like Fires, Tang, and Yama. Walling is a strong word for a mon like this, and WP sturdy is a bit gimmicky imo.

TTree: I don’t think I’d ever really use this but I can see why it would be good. I’d probably say 4, at least for now since this is so based on theorymonning.

Xzern: abstain. haven’t seen it & don’t want to

N10sit: 3, checks Diancie and provides a sort of water check. This thing is better than virizion and tier 4 mons

MBlastoise 1.5 -> 1
Clius: Yes. Read my nom post.

Yoda: 1. Good bulk and great coverage, which you can also adapt a bit to the team. Speed control helps a lot with Water Spout but can run sets without it.

TTree: Mega Blastoise is amazing and I find it really difficult to check. Easy 1.

Xzern: yes. Strong offensive threat, bomb coverage, can also provide support with fake out

N10sit: abstain

Cobalion UR -> 4
Clius: A life orb set on this mon can catch many people off guard. Its speed allows it to outspeed and take out many threats, such as volc (stone edge), diancie obviously, etc. this thing also walls some common megas and takes them out as well (mega aero). Too new to rank higher than 4 but we should put in on the VR as of now.

Yoda: Abstain. Never seen or used.

TTree: Kind of disappointing damage output, physical bulk isn’t hugely helpful when it’s still dunked on by Victini. I say leave this UR until someone can actually prove its utility.

Xzern: UR. i don’t see any reason to use this over mega lucario

N10sit: UR has the virizion problem and unlike magnezone doesn't check anything that isn't Diancie

Roserade UR -> 4 -> 3 -> 2.5 -> 2 -> 1.5
Clius: Big flower proves to be good, taking out most redirectors and hindering trick room. However, middling speed and it’s frailty wants me to nom this mon for 2, not 1.5.

Yoda: 2. See previous post, good Tang and TR check and has powerful STABs, but frail and middling Speed.

TTree: 2 seems to be fitting, I’ve used this and it deserves to be beside Shaymin and Serperior - I haven’t actually figured out which of those three is the best yet.

Xzern: 2. I have used this and it works very well for me. Good powerful stab coverage that also has access to those neat technician hidden powers but i think sleep powder is more useful than hidden power. Its speed isn’t exactly bad either

N10sit: 2 great sleep user/hidden power user and is a strong poison I do like big flower

Tangrowth UR -> 4 -> 3
Clius: Tangrowth has certain niches over its smaller counterpart, since it can hold an item and is still very good defensively. It also provides more offense than little shoes. 4.

Yoda: Keep unranked. See previous post, worse than Eggs/Bell on sun, outclassed by Tangela otherwise.

TTree: UR - the nom starts with “Chlorophyll. Sleep. Powder” but Tangela is literally faster and also has Chlorophyll, which I’d consider using on a Sun team. I want this to be good but it just doesn’t have a niche.

Xzern: say yes to big shoes. Offensive tangela

N10sit: UR this thing sucks wang I bet this got nommed bc of kylecole

Crobat 1.5 -> 2
Clius: No. read yoda’s post

Yoda: No. See previous post, Sash Bat is bad and BB is pretty good offensively on it.

TTree: 1.5, Brave Bird is strong and Inner Focus Taunt / Whirlwind is huuuuuuge.

Xzern: NO crobat is very good for a support mon that also packs a punch

N10sit: 1.5, one of the best support mons in the tier with a decent stab move

Krookodile 2.5 -> 2
Clius: There are not a lot of good ground types in this tier, krook has access to some great abilities, scarf moxie can potentially sweep through teams, intimidate helps it’s survivability. Would bump up to 2.

Yoda: 2. Pretty good for a Ground type in this tier, and Dark STAB is nice. Stone Edge is nice coverage with EQ, Intimidate is nifty and helps it check Victini.

TTree: Abstain. Scarf Stone Edge outspeeds and OHKOs Volcarona but it’s kind of a mixed bag and I’ve had extremely varied results with it. I’ve been trying out Moxie a little bit and I’m here to say: don’t do it. Not worth it, like ever.

Xzern: i actually am not a fan of krookodile at all. It has always disappointed me by being pretty weak. It also lacks any decent defensive typing, which doesn’t work well for an intimidate user. 2.5

N10sit: bleh 2 it's like the only good ground besides nidoking, can run both scarf and life orb, and intimidate is good

Manaphy 1 -> 1.5 -> 2
Clius: 1.5. Manaphy needs the boost to excel, and teams should be prepped for it, but it’s not really an immediate threat.

Yoda: 1.5. See previous post, needs to set up to do damage, among other flaws.

TTree: 1.5, it’s great but not stellar. Everything that can be said about this mon has already been said.

Xzern: 1. The manaphy is the powerhouse of the team

N10sit: FUCK YOU GUYS THIS IS A TIER 1 MON

Mew 1.5 -> 2 -> 2.5
Clius: This mon is so good and so versatile, it’s been 2 week since it came out, i’d give it some time before lowering it. 1.5

Yoda: 2. See previous post, but Transform isn’t so good and you can usually get FO/TW/TR support in mons that aren’t as super passive.

TTree: I think 2 fits better, I’m really not a huge fan of support pokemon and the fact that I will never have a situation where I say “hmmm I’m having trouble with x, y, z… let’s add Mew!” means that I will likely never use this mon. I can see why other people would though, so that’s what’s keeping me from putting it any lower.

Xzern: 2. I can’t see it being any better than victini or latias as a psychic type, uu doesn’t have any ridiculous strong priority users like azumarill for mew to transform into either

N10sit: 2, great support but unlike crobat can't do damage and psychic coverage isn't great already

Crawdaunt 2 -> 1.5
Clius: 2, i think this mon is a bit overrated, dies to anything, and stopping Tr is not enough to warrant 1.5

Yoda: 1.5 (was my nom lol). See previous post, but basically it’s super strong and destroys TR.

TTree: 1.5 - Slow and frail, but its Aqua Jet is sooooo strong and it doesn’t even need to carry SD since Crabhammer is a freaking nuke (it 2HKOs Aboma guys).

Xzern: 2. I don’t like how it’s such a slow mon that is also so frail. I think this fits the tier 2 description of having “some glaring weaknesses”

N10sit: 2 needs crazy speed control or support to setup and is incredibly frail

Ninetales 2.5 -> 2
Clius: 2.5 all it does is set up sun and look around meekly

Yoda: 2.5. Really doesn’t offer that much by itself other than sun, especially over other fire types. Also I don’t think sun is super duper amazing or anything (definitely not needing a suspect or anything).

TTree: 2.5, Ninetales as a pokemon itself makes me reluctant to ever use sun because I have to use that trash. Even supportive sets with things like Wisp or Disable to ignore its weakness are bad because it’s not bulky.

Xzern: 2.5. Ninetales is ridiculously weak and its only saving grace is sun

N10sit: 2.5 all it does is set sun and can't hit for shit

Kyurem 3 -> 2.5 -> 2
Clius: 3, there are better blizzspammers.

Yoda: 3. Haven’t seen hailspam do well (plus there are better users like Gene). Faces a lot of competition from Salamence and Latias, which are both pretty good.

TTree: 3, there are better scarfers, and it also loses to all of them. If it had Teravolt then I could see it being somewhat more viable since its EPower would actually hit Heattom, but Pressure is so unhelpful.

Xzern: 3. It’s probably not a good idea to use mega abomasnow outside of trick room just to be able to use kyurem for a blizzspam team. Salamence and latias are better the dragons

N10sit: 2.5???? This thing loses to other dragons but like it's super strong on its own even without abomasnow

Sableye 2.5 -> 2
Clius: 2.5, this meta is full of special attackers and sableye doesn’t do much to them

Yoda: 2.5. Not as good as the mons in 2, prio wisp isn’t that good and it’s quite passive.

TTree: 2.5, fits the description perfectly. “Pokemon which, while good, lack some redeeming qualities or require heavy support.” Sableye is lacking any offensive presence.

Xzern: 2.5. While i like it a lot for snarl & prankster quash and willowisp, it can’t really stand its ground against many relevant threats like diancie and victini at all, and that isn’t too good for a solely supporting mon

N10sit: 2.5, great support but mew problem with less bulk

Clefable UR -> 4 -> 3 -> 2.5 -> 2
Clius: 2.5, unaware, moonblast stab, not as good as regular stoise movepool.

Yoda: 2. See previous post for reasoning, but has some better matchups over other redirectors and isn’t just for Unaware. Also if you say Clefairy is better I’ll laugh.

TTree: 2.5, it’s about on par with Clefairy imo since they have similar bulk, the same typing, and it’s basically about whether Unaware or Friend Guard will be more helpful in a particular battle.

Xzern: 2.5. has cool support movepool with stuff like TWave and helping hand, can also run sitrus berry

N10sit: xzern sucks tier 3, fairy coverage isn't great doesn't do damage clefairy is better I hate yoda

Summary of changes:
Arcanine Tier 1.5 -> 2
Virizion Tier 4 -> 3
Deoxys-A Tier 1.5 -> 2
Magnezone UR -> Tier 3
Mega Blastoise Tier 1.5 -> 1
Roserade UR -> Tier 2
Manaphy Tier 1 -> 1.5
Mew Tier 1.5 -> 2
Clefable UR -> Tier 2.5

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
nomination: Roserade: 2 -> 1.5

really strong. roserade decks a lot of things with its stab coverage (gastrodon, jellicent, tangela, clefairy, manaphy) and most things that it doesnt beat, it can incapacitate with sleep powder. it could also use a strong technician boosted hidden power to beat more things. it doesnt have bad speed; it can use max speed timid to outspeed neutral max speed base 100s or modest and still be able to outspeed stuff like hoopa. its also better than serperior, and probably better than shaymin to an extent. i also won both of my round 1 duu seasonals games with roserade teams

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader

Mega Blaziken: UR -> 2 / 2.5
After seeing Memo use it succesfully I tried it myself and really like it. Swords Dance is great on it and lets it outrun and destroy nearly everything with strong dual STABs. Higher Speed than regular Blaze means it can outspeed Scarf Gene and base 150s at +1 which is great, and it has decent bulk and no LO recoil which is helpful. Redirection obviously goes a long way, and it pairs pretty well with the common users like Tang anyways.

Some sexy nominations:
ty ttree for getting me off my ass and actually nominating these mons.
MEGA BIRD: UR -> 2.5

This beautiful mon has great speed, 2hkos everything that does not resist it, and has access to nevermiss hurricane AND never-miss heatwave! You'll never have to worry about missing a heat wave again! The reason to use this mon over other flying types (aka tornadus) is that 1: it has fire type spread that is great in a meta with many grasses and 4x weaks, and 2: this thing is a special attacker, which is cherished since there are many super physical walls that could take acrobatics/brave bird better. Sub is the ideal 3rd move since this mon forces a lot of switchouts, and it protects Mega Pidgeot from status.
Most notably, this mon can consistently ohko most tangelas whereas physical tornadus can't, and special tornadus needs lo/sky plate and has to rely on 70% accuracy. Also ohkoes many other significant threats such as volcarona (without the fear of getting burned), genesect (which u can pick off if locked), mega aboma, etc. Once the opposing team doesn't have a rock/ground type to switchin, bird just 2hkoes things that are supposed to check it such as most bulky waters (manaphy, blastoise).
oh also confusion is a thing lol

Meowstic: UR -> 2 / 2.5

I am going to be comparing this pokemon to Klefki and Liepard, since many believe it is outclassed in every way, which I disagree with.
It is very strange how Klefki is on this VR, but Meowstic isn't. I've heard many people say Meowstic's defensive typing is worse, but in DUU, this is simply not the case. With the abundance of fire types in this tier, combined with a lack of many good dark/bug/ghost stabs, I often find that meowstic can stay on the field just as long or longer than Klefki can. This brings me to my next point:
Liepard by nature is a very offensively oriented support mon. It also has fake out and charm, but that is where the similarities with Meowstic end. After the Fake Out, Liepard will most likely be encoring, foul playing, using fake tears. Also a huge difference is that Liepard is forced to carry focus sash or it gets ohkoed by nearly everything.
Klefki's usually run swagger, metal sound, foul play, and moves that are by nature aggressive. Unlike Klefki and Liepard, Meowstic not only helps HO, but also fits on teams with a more defensive playstyle.
Meowstic, however, is played best when it's defensive utilities are maximized.
The two moves that Meowstic must run are Fake Out and prankster Charm. Fake Out is relatively fast, given Meowstic's good natural speed. With max SpDef and Charm, meowstic will not only be living for very long, but will also be protecting his partner from many hits. After these two moves, Meowstic has access to an amazing movepool that can be tailored to the team specifically. On more offensive teams, Safeguard, Thunder Wave (probably best option for HO teams), Helping Hand, and even Leer can greatly help it's partners. On slower/defensive teams, safeguard is once again a popular choice for obvious reasons, but meowstic can also use both screens (although usually light screen only since charm is better). I have also seen Yawn be used very effectively, as it forces a switch from the opponent if they do not want to be slept. Safeguard Swagger is gimmicky, but it exists as well.
My final point with Meowstic is that it is fantastic on Trick Room teams. Since most TR teams have Hariyama, you automatically have double fake out. Meowstic actually can counter many common ways to stop Trick Room. Safeguard stops sleep, but most importantly, Meowstic is the only mon in the tier that has access to a naturally fast prankster Trick Room. This means that Roar also is uneffective in stopping Meowstic from setting up TR. Pair this with Meowstic's amazing defensive utility and you have a mon that not only is good, but is also easily splashable onto almost any team.
Swagger is bad and tbh RNG is not as good as the other defensive options Meowstic has to offer (like safeguard to protect you from fkin swagger).

Mamoswine UR -> 3

After Lando-I left the tier, I thought Mamoswine got worse, but now with the popularity of Roserade, this mon just got good again.
Ice Shard does so much damage. It ohkoes roserade, does 70-83 on mega aerodactyl, and is a 50/50 to OHKO after intimidated by Salamence. Earthquake hits everything like a truck, most teams in this tier are actually really ground weak. Needs speed control such as TW and Trick Room, but honestly this mon is very bulky when you don't invest in speed so it does well.

Last edited:
Clius here, back at it again (lol kill me) with some sexy af nominations:

Magnezone 3 -> 2/2.5:
here is what i said previously:
Nomming magnezone for tier 2.5, and if you don't agree at least tier 3. It's dual stabs and great abilities make it a great trick room attacker, and it's straight up walls a good portion of tier 1 and 1.5. with WP sturdy it can even take out things that would've checked it, such as volcarona or victini.
Beats diancie, manaphy, mega abomasnow, mega aero, mega stoise, stoise, crobat, jellicent, etc etc. walls a bunch of them too.
edit: change my mind i think it's tier 2

After watching magnezone be used a lot in the current tournament, there a lot of situations where magnezone just wins, or legit beats whole teams.
Here are some examples of magnezone just putting in work:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesuu-387089104
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesuu-385695304
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesuu-387096120 (weakness policy working ey)

Chesnaught UR -> 3
this mon has a lot of potential. Spiky sheild is great as a fake out deterrent. A life orb or expert belt set ohkoes mega stoise, diancie, most jellicent (all with life orb), with wood hammer. Since this thing gets bulletproof, it actually counters roserade too since it's immune to sludge bomb and gets access to zen headbutt (which ohkoes with ebelt or lo). with ZH, checks hariyama as well. This thing is great under trick room, gets access to stab hammer arm, low kick, or drain punch to match whatever set you want. Even has rock slide and stone edge to get ohkoes on flyings/fires (hooray for no priority brave bird). It's more defensive options (since this thing is physically bulky) include feint (great in TR), helping hand, leech seed, synthesis, and taunt for pesky follow me's/sleeps.
This thing also happens to hard counter crawdaunt and roserade, both mons TR usually really struggles with.
replays of chesnaught putting in work:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesuu-387298701
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesuu-387304513

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Moltres UR -> Tier 3

Fire Bird is basically a bulkier Mega Pidgeot with Flame Body that doesn't use up your mega slot. On rain teams, its Hurricane becomes 100% accurate and it's an invaluable remover of Grass-types. Sadly, it faces lots of competition from the many other flying types in the tier, but with a Life Orb it's really really strong, as shown in this replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesuu-387404799 where it OHKOs a +1 Volcarona.

Nominating:
Dragalge UR-> 3/4

Really overlooked mon, it can 2hko pretty much everything without any boosting item and its typing+bulk allows it to switch in on a ton of mons like victini, genesect, hariyama, volcarona, etc. I've been really liking a substitute set, something it can get up pretty easily against resists.

Gourgeist-Super UR-> 2
Really amazing TR setter, basically a grass type jellicent with physical defense rather than special. Best thing about it being grass is that it can set TR on sleep powder mons like tangela and roserade, as well as ignore tangela rage powder to wisp its partner. Gets reliable recovery with synthesis, wisp to cripple attackers, decent attack options with seed bomb/phantom force, and in general is really bulky. Also has some cool niche options like leech seed or disable.

Entei -> 2/2.5
Let me tell you bout this sick mothafucka right here. Not only is it extremely dangerous with its 50% chance to burn, 100 damage sacred fire (we all know how sick af that shit is), it also has the ability to clean up late game with extremespeed, and the speed tier to function decently in or out of TR. Dis boi also has that sick coverage in the form of iron head for that little bitch ass nigga diancie or stone edge to beat basically every other fiya type in that whole damn meta. He basically arcanine without intimidate, but also without recoil 'n shit.

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 304-359 (97.4 - 115%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
LOL NIGGA YOU THOUGHT THAT WAS A SWITCHIN.

I said I would post some teams after Clius' tournament, and it finished for me so here it is the first team :)

THE TEAM

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Drain Punch
- Encore / Protect

This mon can work as a support thanks to fake out, and as a powerful wallbreaker thanks to his excellent attack stat. I like it a lot cause it's gonna be helping the team in almost all situations and matchups.
If HO matchup: Faking out paper mons like Deoxys and similar ones, and maybe killing some mons slower than lop
If TW Balance matchup: Breaking walls overall and faking out tailwind setters
If TR matchup: Fake out everything (especially turn 1, fake out the setter or the opposing fake outer) and killing MegaAbo if you can find the right opportunity

Darkrai @ Focus Sash
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Blizzard / Ice Beam
- Taunt
- Protect

Basically make ton of damage with his good coverage (dark pulse and ice beam). Taunt is to surprise the always annoying tangela shutting it down, and to stop Diancie from setting up TR (cause they are all safety googles).

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

The Wall. This is usually gonna be your switchin to whatever (except for water and ground attacks). Intimidate is super helpful, as well as Will-o-Wisp, making Arc able to shut down the most physical sweepers by itself. Flare Blitz for the option of making good damage to help Lop/Dark finish the opposing team off. Extreme Speed for killing low HP mons and killing Deo if sash has been consumed.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

The Tailwind setter. It basically provides the team speed to perform better. Draco for doing amazing amounts of damage, and hydro cause it gives Salamence really nice coverage, being able to hit things like Diancie super hard and hit steel types like Genesect, Metagross or Escavalier decently well. Second mon with intimidate, which makes the team much better, always being able to intimidate a mon if you want. This is never gonna result counter-productive cause there is no bisharp in duu.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

The best mon in the tier right now imo. Not much to say, it's quite simple. You try to find a decent opportunity to Tail Glow and then DESTROY. It becomes a huge threat after you tail glow, and gets even bigger if you're under TW.

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Perfect mon to complete the FWG core. Really nice against TR, which definitely helps this team a lot. Nice speed (306) with Sleep Powder to put slower things to sleep and it also helps out with bitchy mons like Tangela and Gastrodon.

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS
The team started with the M-Lopunny + Darkrai core, which puts amazing offensive pressure outside of TR of course. Next thing I added was the best dragon type in the tier (apart from the semi-banned Zard X). Mence resists fight, sets up TW, hit super hard and also supports its teammates with intimidate. At that point I was looking for a bulky mon to help me with M-Abomasnow and TR. Arcanine was the best option: beats MegaSnow and it's also really good against TR. That was also the starting point to make a FWG core. Next came the best (imo) setup sweeper in the tier now that Zard X is gone, Manaphy. It's a based 100 and if you didn't know, THAT'S REALLY BULKY. It has Tail glow which puts you at +3 (Wreck shit). Last mon, to complete the FWG core is the now-insanely-popular Roserade. I don't know what to say about this that isn't already said. Rather powerful, with Sleep Powder to put to sleep things slower than Rose and also quite good against TR builds. As you can see, a fun-to-use standard TW Offense which is not very difficult to use, so it's perfect for the Sample Teams. It's fine if you wanna change evs to resist specific things but I'm not doing that.

REPLAYS
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesuu-384250456 against DaAwesomeDude
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesuu-383252768 against xzern
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesuu-382452537 against Cyco Vision, a friend of mine which has climbed up the ladder to top 1 several times.

In these replays I'm using Deo, which I changed later, cause the team was very weak to TR.

EDIT:I've included a description of every mon and the team has undergone some changes since I posted it, and here they are:

-Lopunny doesn't carry Encore anymore cause, although it was very good at certains situations where you could catch off guard a TR setter or, setup sweeper or any mon in turn 2 which protected expecting fake out, protect is really necessary if you wanna keep lopunny alive for more that 2 turns.
-Darkrai has changed from Blizzard to Ice Beam cause blizzard misses a lot if you're outside of snow, and if you're in snow you're probably gonna be facing Abo in TR, in which case, Darkrai is not the best option.
-I sometimes use Arcanine with 252 attack evs instead of 252 def evs, but it's not that clear of a change yet.

The team in general has gone simpler, and it maybe lost some surprise factor but I think it's a worth change. It made it more solid in most situations.

GUIDE ON HOW TO LEAD:
I can't just say you must lead with this against this playstyle, cause teams vary a lot, and although they can be similar in the main strategy they use to win (TR, TW...), mons and wincons vary, so this guide is just a little help, but you should be flexible if you're gonna use this team. That being said, here are some tips.
-Against HO: I usually lead Lopunny + Salamence. The purpose is to set up TW to outspeed the opponent's team and try to win from there
-Against Tailwind Offense: Darkrai + Salamence is a great lead if the opponent doesn't have a fake out user. The purpose is to taunt the opponent's tailwinder and set up your own with Salamence. If there's a fake out user, Lop could be a better choice over Darkrai/ Salamence.
-Against TW Balance: Darkrai + Lopunny. Darkrai taunts the tailwind user and Lopunny fakes out the other slot. You don't need Tailwind on your own cause you're naturally gonna be faster most of the time.
-Against TR: Lopunny + Darkrai/Roserade/Manaphy. Lopunny fakes out the opponent's fake outer and depending on your opponent's Trick Room setter, Darkrai can deal with Psychic types, Jellicent, Cofagrigus and Hoopa, Roserade can deal with Aromatisse or other fairies or you can Sleep powder if you're sure the opponent's TR setter is not Safety Googles, or if you're not sure of anything and there are several setters, you can Tail Glow with Manaphy and let TR being set up.
-Against Rain: Lopunny + Manaphy / Roserade would be a great option
-Against Sun: This one is a little bit trickier. It's more dependent on the team than any other playstyle I think.
Again, THOSE LEADS MAY VARY DEPENDING ON DIFFERENT FACTORS RELATED TO THE OPPONENT'S TEAM.

Here you have another replay after all those changes mentioned before

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesuu-400061286 against the only person in the room who doesn't ignore me when I ask for battle, the always kind silverwhiteblue.

SHOUOUTS
I wanted to give a shoutout to every single person who helped me test this team :]

SOME FINAL WORDS
Finally, I'd just like to mention that after months of playing DUU and tons of teams built, this is my favourite one, and so, I would love to see you all trying it out, as a reward for the the effort made to build this team, trying it out in different situations, writting this post and giving you the possibility of playing with it.

Thank you for reading :)

Attachments

Last edited:

nvakna

consistently random
is a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Nominating vivillon to tier 3.

upload_2016-6-18_12-18-17.png

This thing is essentially the breloom of duu with the ability to set its own tailwind.
My favorite set (probably the standard set) is tail wind/hurricane/sleep powder/protect with focus sash.

Near 100% accurate sleep powder from 89 base speed destroys trick room teams since goggles isn’t too common.
It isn’t totally useless against HO, because the sash (best item on vivillon) forces the opponent to either double into it, or accept a tail wind/sleep powder.
Hurricane hits the grass types you can’t sleep powder, and prevents vivillon from being taunt bait since base 110 STAB flying destroys things. Also, make sure to remember the confusion hax bonus :)

Some other move options that may be viable are quiver dance, endeavor, rage powder.
I’ve had some success with quiver dance in the place of tail wind, but I’ve never tried the other two.

I planned on using my seasonal match as justification but it didn’t turn out very well…
Here’s a replay of me sacking vivillon in a crucial point in the match, which allowed me to win. Vivillon is such a lord.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesuu-388198368

Also, fake out + vivillon lead is pretty cool since you pretty much guarantee yourself a tw or sleep powder.

xzern

for sure
DUU Nominations (order: Clius / Yoda / TTree / xzern / n10sit)

Roserade Tier 2 -> 1.5
Clius: Can’t really justify giving a mon with a 22% win-rate with 1.5, I feel like this mon needs to be expertly used to be at its full potential, it’s a little too tricky to just slap on and call it an amazing mon.

Yoda: Abstain, really on the fence. It does have good matchups against stuff like Diancie, Tang/Stoise/Clef and a lot of Waters, and sleep is nice; but it’s frail, really weak to tini/gene/flyings/dragons and speed tier is a little unfortunate. Still, definitely the best offensive Grass and good at destroying previously mentioned stuff, and sleep is great.

ttree: While I have my reservations due to its frailty, looking at some of the other Pokemon on the VR I believe it fits better in Tier 1.5. Clearly a better grass than Shaymin and Serperior imo. Its win rate in the tour, while disappointing, isn’t really a deal breaker to me as it’s only great in some matchups and that’s a fairly small sample size.

xzern: yes its GOOD. can beat more than half of tier 1 mons, its like shaymin but it can kill grass. Read my nom fools

n10sit: no can do folks this thing is doing poorly

It's a tier 2 Pokemon if I've ever seen one it's super frail and middling speed tier 1.5 is not where it belongs sorry

Mega Blaziken UR -> Tier 4 -> Tier 3 -> Tier 2.5 -> Tier 2
Clius: Tier 3 is where I would put it for now. I need to see it used to even more success in tour games to fully grasp how good it is. Honestly this mon needs a lot of support to be good, and it’s frail even without all the drops it gets with its best moves. Many times I am not sure why I personally would use the mega slot over regular blaziken which does the job similarly imo.

Yoda: 2.5. See post for reasoning (was my nom lol). Speed Boost is really nice and with the better speed than regular blaze is really nice. Really good with SD and redirection. Hits hard, but intim weakness and not being able to hit stuff like Jelli/Diancie/Mence hurts it.

ttree: 2.5. 100 Speed makes this sooooo much better than regular blaze in a lot of situations, and with Fletchinder not really being a thing, both SD sets and Stone Edge sets have merit imo. I’ve seen Memoric use this to great success and been really enjoying the games I’ve played with it.

xzern: 3 sounds good. I got owned by it once and clius’s reasoning is sound

n10sit: tier 3, it's just a sub par mega imotbh, u gotta set up and even then it's just meh, there's an abundancy of trick room and thunder wave an immense competition from other fires

Mega Pidgeot UR -> Tier 4 -> Tier 3 -> Tier 2.5
Clius: Unlike any other special flying in the tier, Mega Pidgeot not only has 100% accurate hurricanes but also amazing speed. Tornadus, Vivillon, Moltres all are less accurate, or have a middling speed/spA stat. It’s doing very well in the tour (71% win-rate). Read my nomination, 2.5. Okay guys also this is basically the only flying type that can reliably ohko tangela with its flying stab, and it also gets tailwind if that’s what you’re into, AND spread fire move. Definitely deserves at least being ranked.

Yoda: 4. Speed + 100% accurate Hurricane is nice, but the speed isn’t that much better than like Torn, and Crobat is faster and can still hit pretty hard. Niche, generally going to be worse than another Flying type + a better mega.

ttree: 4. I’m with Yoda on this one, but I want to try to explain it a different way. Yes it’s faster than Tornadus, but the only relevant things in between the two are Raikou and Serperior, one of which beats you anyway and the other of which would be better countered by Crobat. The lack of solid resistances and its awkward speed pre-mega make it really difficult to justify being higher than 4. Sure it has seen success in the tour, but I believe that’s more due to clius’ team being one of the more solid teams out there for the moment and not due to anything special that Mega Pidgeot has pulled itself.

xzern: why would i use this over, like, staraptor or tornadus or crobat? Sure it can hit hurricanes but tornadus doesnt need to use hurricane (ive seen physical sets) and its more widely applicable with tailwind and making rain good. Unranked for me

n10sit: this thing has ONE MOVE lol all u do is bring in a rock type or electric type etc and u beat it rof UR

Meowstic UR -> Tier 4 -> Tier 3 -> Tier 2.5 -> Tier 2
Clius: Read my nomination: basically this mon to me serves as the premier defensively-oriented support mon. excellent movepool that makes it stand out from liepard and klefki. Meowstic also has a 66% win-rate in the tour. PLEASE read my nomination, 2.

Yoda: 2.5. Nice support movepool but doesn’t really offer much offensively. Not really sold on using it on TR, sorry Clius :^[

ttree: Reading clius’ nomination has convinced me that this definitely deserves a place, but its lack of any offensive presence makes me think that 2.5 fits much better. Being alongside Klefki and Sableye seems fair, another case of its winrate being more reflective of the team than the mon itself.

xzern: 2, clius’s nomination is sound

n10sit: wow I'm on the fence but this is really a worse liepard I think this is is 2.5 though fam, tough call though, just a bit weak to me

Mamoswine UR -> Tier 4 -> Tier 3
Clius: read the nom, tier 3 for me. Very anti-meta mon with perhaps one of the best priority in this tier.

Yoda: 3. EQ is strong, Ice Shard is quite nice. Strong but needs speed control to function best, faces competition from Krook somewhat.

ttree: 3. Ice-type priority is huge in a meta with so many Ice-weak pokemon, even if I’ve been unlucky with it myself I’ve seen others use it quite well.

xzern: 4, i dont know if i like my ground types losing to fire

n10sit: tier 4 this thing sucks dawg it loses to non heat wave volcarona

Magnezone Tier 3 -> Tier 2.5 -> Tier 2
Clius: read the nom, 70% win-rate doesn’t lie, it’s this tier’s bulky steel except it’s also excellent offensively. Excellent trick room attacker as well. Can beat entire teams that are unprepared. Tier 2

Yoda: 2.5. Steel is good defensively and great for Diancie, elec is nice. Disagree with beating whole teams (what team doesn’t have a fire, for example) but a pretty good mon. Weak to Yama/Tang though, and restricted to TR.

ttree: Getting this out of the way: Winrate about team > about mon. Since the meta doesn’t have very many good Ground-types or Steel-types, this has done much better than I expected. I’m okay with putting it at 2 for now.

xzern: 2.5 sounds okay, it looks better than mega manectric and mega heracross. The sub set looks hot

n10sit: tier 2 I thought this thing was straight butt until I saw it used and used it I really think it does well in this meta

Chesnaught UR -> Tier 4 -> Tier 3
Clius: read the nom, it’s a versatile mon that is great under TR, great offensively and defensively on the physical side. 3. Beats bulky waters which is what hariyama can’t do (stoise manaphy etc).

Yoda: 4. Really awkward speed tier where you’re faster than base 60s for TR but quite slow outside of TR. Diancie underspeeding you under TR being the big problem. Has some unique coverage for TR, mainly hitting Waters imo, but still faces a lot of competition as well from like Hariyama which has FO to help set.

ttree: Mega Aboma or Hariyama will almost always be better choices. I’m not saying that this mon is ineffective, it’s just not as effective as other things in the meta. Staraptor isn’t necessarily bad in DOU, but it’s a worse Talonflame, so you have no reason to use it. Same situation here imo. UR.

xzern: i cant imagine a situation where i would look at one of my teams and say that chesnaught fits better than hariyama. Even if its for beating jellicent, hariyama still does that with guts. Keep unranked

n10sit: abstain I've never ever seen anyone use this

Moltres UR -> Tier 4 -> Tier 3
Clius: 4 perhaps is good for a mon that seems to be best used on rain, speed ties with roserade (which it desperately needs to take out). Without rain you’re having to deal with RNG with both stabs, and rain makes it’s fire stab weaker with the tradeoff of 100% accurate hurricane. Modest Mega-pidgeot can still outspeed timid and hit way harder and way more accurately. (Even timid can hit harder). Also it’s typing is abysmal

Yoda: 4. Faces a lot of competition from other Fire/Flying types, especially Torn. Quite niche, and haven’t seen much usage of it or rain.

Ttree: Nommed this myself, the typing really isn’t that bad since this meta has far less Rock Slide. Sadly, any team that is prepared for volcarona (which should be all of them) is most likely prepared for Moltres, so it’s not awesome. I still think it could be 3, but I can see that my peers don’t agree so 4’s cool too.

xzern: looks like it could be cool, fire type that potentially beats other fire types. Also a steel killer on rain i guess? 4 sounds okay

n10sit: tier 4, it was tier 4 material when I used it

Dragalge UR -> Tier 4 -> Tier 3
Clius: Tier 3 is good for dragalge, not too many ground types in this tier, and under TR kills everything.

Yoda: 3. Dragon coverage hits hard if you can deal with Diancie/steels, and Sludge Bomb is nice for Tang since you underspeed. Speaking of which you underspeed base 50s and 60s under TR which is really nice. Also has nice bulk, especially on the special side.

ttree: Very few good Ground / Steel types, and Dragalge even has Hydro Pump to hit Rhyperior, many of which will be running enough speed that you are faster in TR. Easy 3 for me.

xzern: 4 sounds okay. I guess its the only dragon thats good on trick room and also one of the few counters to the mighty roserade

n10sit: tier 3, this thing is sick, love it in trick room I used this all the time back in the early days of duu

Gourgeist-Super UR -> Tier 4 -> Tier 3 -> Tier 2.5 -> Tier 2
Clius: Tier 3 maybe, tier 2 is way too high for a mon i’ve never seen used in my life. I can see how it’s nice that it can’t be faked out + it can’t be slept, but the grass typing can really fuck you over with so many good fires in the tier. Reuniclus also doesn’t get slept, and is way stronger.

Yoda: 3. Typing is nifty despite Fire weakness. Not as good as Jelli overall but similar in terms of bulk/recovery/support with a few perks over it such as natural sleep immunity and better phys def.

ttree: Sure it can set TR without Goggles… but what does it really get out of that free item slot? Leftovers? Colbur? I’m not seeing it. Very low offensive presence, almost entirely outclassed by Jellicent since Jelli isn’t weak to the thousands of Flying- and Fire-types. I’d go Tier 4 at the highest.

xzern: 3 sounds good. Only setter that can set up in the face of tangela while running an item other than goggles

n10sit: who nommed this to tier 2 rofl anyways like tier 3 is a stretch it just gets owned by the most common tr mon, mega snow, so u gotta pair this with victini, then u just hard lose to Diancie especially if lum, so like, lol, tier 4

Entei Tier 2.5 -> Tier 2
Clius: Entei holds it’s own among fires for two reasons: 1. Sacred fire 2. Extreme speed.

It also gets great movepool to hit anything it wants. Tier 2. Also doing well in tour.

Yoda: 2.5. Outclassed by Arcanine loads, Intim>Sacred Fire burns for reasons xzern states. Otherwise coverage is almost identical. Lack of FB recoil is nice but not enough.

ttree: Stone Edge is the only thing keeping this mon from dropping further imo. Tier 2.5 is good.

xzern: keep in 2.5. Ive been saying this for a while but arcanine is way better than entei. Okay entei gets stone edge, big whoop, but arcanine gets intimidate which is really useful against (guts) hariyama / victini. Sacred fire doesnt work against either of those. Offensive arcanine is good

n10sit: keep in 2.5 dawgs

Vivillon UR -> Tier 4 -> Tier 3
Clius: Tier 4. Yes it can sleep things with a meh speed but after that it hits like it doesn’t want to hurt anything lol. Also 80/50/50 defenses screams sash, which would be okay if it wasn’t suffering from being so weak in the first place. Tailwind is nice but i think there are better setters that don’t die to anything.

Yoda: 4. Sleep is good but you’re a bit slow, and outclassed by other Flying types which have better speed and bulk. Not the strongest either, since you need sash basically and you only have base 90 Sp Atk.

ttree: Being outsped by Roserade by 1 point hurts Vivillon so bad. The only reason I’d use this over Roserade is setting Tailwind, but that niche coupled with its AMAZING new formes has me ok with giving this a place on Tier 4.

xzern: 4 sounds okay, vivillon looks niche

n10sit: tier 4 but I love this mon increase its speed please, let's suspect a 91 speed vivillon

Summary of changes:
Mega Blaziken - UR -> 3
Mega Pidgeot - UR -> 4
Meowstic - UR -> 2.5
Mamoswine - 4 -> 3
Magnezone - 3 -> 2
Moltres - UR -> 4
Dragalge - UR -> 3
Gourgiest-Super - UR -> 3
Vivillon - UR -> 4

Oh cool new VR update.

Nominating:
Slurpuff UR -> 3: Slurpuff is a cool wincon for most teams, as it, when paired with a redirector, can get to +6 Attack and +2 Speed in one turn, which sweeps teams once fires or genesect are removed. It also has Drain Punch to recover which is pretty nifty, but return is also good to hit Fire-Types. It also a cupcake, and cupcakes are good, which means it should be on here somewhere.

Klefki 2.5 -> 2: I don't know why this is 2.5, as it has a huge number of redeeming qualities and does not need heavy support. It also isn't to team specific either, as it can fit on all archetypes bar TR. Prankster T-Wave from a steel types is cool to kill most faster threats, and its typing means that it can be an excellent support mon. Plus it has swagger and foul play, which is the best move combo in the game.

Ninetails 2.5 -> 3: Sun is bad, and Ninetails doesn't make it better, since it loses to all sun checks and is weak in general.

Exeggutor 2.5 -> 3: See above, also chlorophyll sleep powder is already good on Tang, so I'd rather use it since it can do more than just sleep powder.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
A few things have come up irl and I'm finding myself with less free time than expected. So, since I haven't been playing / building much DUU lately, I will be stepping down from the VR Council. However, it's not getting any smaller! Nido-Rus is the perfect addition to the team, someone who plays the meta a lot, and is clearly passionate about it as well. Welcome him with some fantastic new noms :^]

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion

Tier 2.5 to Tier 3
Mega Swampert's niche in the metagame has always been a rain sweeper. However, in a metagame where Politoed is banned, it makes this much harder. While it does have Prankster Rain Dance from Tornadus, it's just not as effective. It's been used only 6 times in the DUU Tour and only one of them as been from Top 16. I don't see how it's ranked Tier 3 in DOU and Tier 2.5 in DUU where it's best buddy is banned.
I'm pretty new to DUU and I'm still learning but this is based on my personal experience and the DUU tour.

I can post my teams now! They are all pretty straightforward weather teams and won in the duu tour so they would make good samples imo

Rain Bulky Offense

Genesect @ Choice Band
Ability: Download
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Extreme Speed
- Blaze Kick

Manaphy @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Tornadus @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Rain Dance
- Protect

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SpD
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Icy Wind
- Moonlight
- Helping Hand

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Roserade @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

I usually lead with Tornadus and set up either Rain or Tailwind, depending on the opposing team. The rest of the team supports a Manaphy sweep, with Mega Swampert as a backup. You could probably use Mega Blastoise instead and do okay, but then you have 3 Electric weaknesses and no Rock resists, so you have to play better. I like a bulky Manaphy spread, but you can change it to max Speed if you'd prefer. Roserade is probably the most replaceable on the team if you want to get creative, but it is my best Trick Room check, aside from manly CB Genesect Extremespeeds.

Sun Hyper Offense

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Disable
- Protect

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Heat Wave
- Protect

Hitmontop @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Atk / 60 Def / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Wide Guard
- Feint

Liepard @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Swagger
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave

Blastoise @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 SpD
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Roserade @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

I know there is another Mega Houndoom team but that one has Life Orb Roar Ninetales so lol.

Mega Houndoom, Ninetales, and Roserade offensively cover the entire meta on their own. Hitmontop is a great support mon on sun teams for obvious reasons. Blastoise helps with the team's lack of bulk and resists by being broke af. Liepard works really well against the meta for whatever reason, and it can provide last minute sun, so I like it in the last slot.

Hail Trick Room

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Protect

Rotom-Frost @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Protect

Victini @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Atk / 60 Def / 60 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- V-create
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick Room
- Protect

Blastoise @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam

Cofagrigus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Ally Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

HailRoom is a bomb af playstyle in DUU so I don't see a problem with two on the sample teams list.

This team was built to use funmon Rotom-F. It's pretty straightforward. Cofagrigus is a cool setter because it's ridiculously bulky, Ally Switch shenanigans, and Mummy does cool things against threats such as Guts Hariyama and other ability-reliant mons. Blastoise is there because it's broken af. You can win most of the time by just leading Blastoise/Mega Abomasnow.

Last edited:
Also I have some noms for the Viability Rankings:

Regular Blastoise for tier 1: This mon is way better than Tangela as a redirector. It can tank both physical and special attacks, doesn't lose to Safety Goggles mons or any of the thousands of dominant Fire-types in DUU, better coverage with Scald/Ice Beam, and has Roar (which is a more reliable Trick Room check because of Safety Goggles Victini being everywhere). I'd argue it's broken af but moving it up is a start.

Diancie for tier 1.5: It's still a great setter and kills fires, but it's very passive against neutral mons and loses to troll stuff like Heavy Slam Hariyama. Most people don't even use Earth Power for coverage making it even worse against the meta.

Tangela for tier 1.5: there's literally a million fire types in DUU and it loses to safety goggles everything.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I agree with Blastoise, sort of iffy on Tangela because sleep is cool and anything people do to try to counterteam sleep powder is more or less just to cteam this and to a much lesser extent Roserade. That being said, I rarely find teams that I'd ever prefer Tangela on over Blastoise.

I did want to nominate Rotom-Heat for 2. I think it really struggles to actually check what it sets out to check due to their common partners or coverage, ie most fire types carry coverage for it, etc. Outside of 2hkoing Mega Blastoise / Manaphy (with investment) I'm just not sure what relevant niche this does better than bulky Arcanine (who I know is a pretty mediocre set in of itself) to warrant being 1.5. It does check Tornadus and Shaymin, which is cool but not exceptionally so. Decent mon, but not really comparable to the amazing mons we have floating around 1.5, in my opinion. It's questionable showing in the tour makes me further thing it's just ok.

Also wanted to share a cool Mega Altaria spread I've been using because I really dislike max/max Timid.

EVs: 164 HP / 28 Def / 156 SpA / 64 SpD / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Tailwind
- Protect

Speed is for Deo-A/MegaAero under tailwind. Spatk will always kill Darkrai with Hyper Voice (which is unfortunately somewhat weak, you can miss the kill with 252 timid). Evs should almost always live a Maboma Blizzard after hail damage (and by extension a large portion of strong, unstab super effective attacks), which I chose because Malt is otherwise pretty mediocre vs Hailroom teams. Phys def prevents Genesect from getting a +attack download boost, meaning you live any hit from Scarf and KO back. I'm not going to say this is a particularly amazing malt spread, but I've felt that max/max timid was sort of meh and didn't play up the strengths of Malt's typing, which is probably its most compelling reason to use it. Unfortunate that such a good fire check can't do much to hurt them back, though, even if you're Draco.

Some nominations:

upload_2016-7-5_17-11-25.png

Mega Lopunny Tier 2 -> Tier 1.5
136 Attack base stat and 135 Speed base stat. I have no idea why isn't this in 1.5, it's the Mega-Kangaskhan of DUU. It has super strong fake out, nice stab attacks (return, drain punch, which also allows you to recover hp/ high jump kick, if you wanna be risky), ice punch, tricky moves such as encore, sub, thunder wave and healing wish if you really need a surprise factor. Basically, it's able to 2HKO almost everything non-resisted (except for super bulky mons such as tangela or diancie) while outspeeding every mon is the tier other than Mega Aero and Deoxys-A. It has cool abilities as well, being able to switch into thunder waves thanks to limber before mega evolving and hit ghosts with its two stabs after mega evolving thanks to scrappy. This also makes it able to stop ghost types from setting up TR with fake out.
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 148-175 (49.4 - 58.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO (100% chance to 2HKO after Fake Out/Adamant nature)
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Genesect: 133-157 (46.9 - 55.4%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO (100% chance to 2HKO after Fake Out/Adamant nature)
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 0 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 217-256 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Victini: 172-204 (50.4 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 238-282 (78.8 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (OHKO after Fake Out)
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 172-204 (50.4 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
upload_2016-7-5_17-12-7.png

Staraptor Tier 2 -> Tier 2.5
It's way worse than the other mons in Tier 2, and it's really outclassed by torn or crobat.

Mega Medicham UR -> Tier 2

252 Attack Jolly = 598 Attack Stat thanks to Pure Power. 252 Attack Adamant = 656 Attack stat thanks to Pure Power. BEAST
Move options include: Fake out, zen headbutt, drain punch, ice punch, bullet punch, fire punch, poison jab, rock slide, thunder punch and sub. It has a pretty nice Speed stat as well (100)
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 186-220 (62.2 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Diancie: 153-181 (50.3 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Diancie: 204-244 (67.1 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Genesect: 213-252 (75.2 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 546-644 (127.2 - 150.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Tangela: 162-192 (48.5 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 160 HP / 16 Def Volcarona: 303-357 (86.3 - 101.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Outside of nominations, I've been thinking in this tier a lot, and why its popularity has raised up in such a short time. I think it was mainly because of DPL and Clius' tournament, so I just thought that holding seasonals for this tier would make it even more popular, and thus, I invite the tier leaders to think about that idea.

To finish, I'll be posting another team soon, but I need replays to try it out, so please, whenever you see me on showdown (my name is CMGmaster), chall me :)

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Kyurem to 1.5
it's only major weakness is fighting types, so I have been pairing it with mega pidgeot successfully

It's an ice dragon with lots of bulk. Put it behind a sub. It's SpA is greater than kyurem b. It doesn't have same ability but there is no gengar or rotom wash so that's ok.
Nice move pool
Glaciate is the strongest speed control you can have
I like roost bc it's bulky af and can live long time

Reactions: CMG

nvakna

consistently random
is a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Dumping some teams because why not.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Heat Wave
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Substitute

Blastoise @ Wacan Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Icy Wind
- Roar
- Scald
- Follow Me

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Salamence @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Rock Slide
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Klefki @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Swagger
- Safeguard
- Flash Cannon

It looks like I tried to build around mega-cham but it's actually the other way around. I started with volcarona, then added the op mons darkrai/mence/toise/klefki to support it, then realized that I had no mega.
I felt that fake out would be a nice addition to the team, so my options were either mega lop or mega cham. But I felt the need for another steel move since it's a bit diancie weak so I added medicham.

Generally, this team tries to win by...
1. quiver dance volcarona
2. safe swag medicham
But since all of the mons in this team are pretty powerful even without set up, it plays like a balance team.

I realized how weak it was to raikou when I played stax in clius's tour, so I added wacan to the blastoise.
Swagger is a great check for stuff like raikou :3

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesuu-391845066
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesuu-395425605

Darkrai @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Protect
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide

Vivillon-Monsoon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Protect

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Mild Nature
- Protect
- Superpower
- Psycho Boost
- Flash Cannon

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Water Spout
- Dark Pulse
- Water Pulse

Clefairy @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Follow Me
- Encore
- Moonblast
- Protect

Vivillon is cool. Pretty much sums this team up.
This team generally wins by setting up tailwind, then proceeding to sweep with water spout.

Some cool tech on this team include...
Sleep powder + Bad dreams to break sashes while immobilizing foes
Min speed encore clef to reverse trick room
Flash cannon deoxys to bop diancie

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesuu-388193338
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesuu-388198368

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Figure I'd jump on the team dump train, pretty much everyone else that joined the tour said the same but DUU is pretty fun, lots of cool stuff that seems relatively unexplored. Despite my trainwreck of a finish in the tour these teams got me to semifinals so they've at least been successful. Or maybe I'm just lucky who knows.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Protect

EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Follow Me
- Icy Wind
- Roar

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 120 Def / 120 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Wide Guard

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Protect
- Glare
- Dragon Pulse

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Protect
Main goal of this team is to try and create a Volcarona sweep, Salamence and Blastoise are solid lead options and I find myself leading both because Blastoise is broken and Salamence always hits if you believe in it. Volcarona also likes Intimidate support and redirection, and Hariyama is a strong Fake Out user that can protect Volcarona from nasty spread moves like Rock Slide. Serperior smashes some of Volcarona's more annoying checks like Blastoise and Diancie, and can threaten faster stuff like Mega Aero with Glare. It also gives the team a second wincon. Metagross was mainly added because I realized I had no Mega and also no safe Diancie switch-ins. Also deals with Mega Altaria which this team kinda hates.

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Clefairy @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Follow Me
- Icy Wind
- Encore
- Protect

Manaphy @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tail Glow
- Protect

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat
- Protect

Hitmontop @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard
- Close Combat
- Detect

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Protect
- Glare
- Dragon Pulse
This is a fun Manaphy team that happens to abuse a lot of Intimidate mons, Hitmontop is a really cool support mon and offers very useful Wide Guard support without being super slow like Hariyama, which has proven useful for this team. The spread hits 210 Speed which doesn't hit anything particularly important outside of outspeeding bulky Rotom-H, I just wanted to hit a decent Speed benchmark while maintaining some bulk. Manectric was mainly used because I noticed the team lacked a Mega and wanted something with huge Speed. Volt Switch can be used but I wanted Overheat's power for Magnezone and Tangela which can both be rude. Serperior used to be a Tornadus for Rain Dance but that makes this team insanely weak to Diancie so Serperior is used instead, also helps with Mega Blastoise which is scary for this team under Tailwind or Trick Room. Also kamikaze told me to use Band Reckless Staraptor when I asked what Staraptor ran in this tier so it's that's why it's the first mon in the importable, but it's still a pretty cool wallbreaker. That's also why this isn't a triple Intimidate team.

Blaziken-Mega @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick
- Swords Dance
- Protect

EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Follow Me
- Icy Wind
- Roar

Salamence @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Explosion

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Tailwind
- Protect

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Ice Beam
- Protect
Very hyper offensive team, this one is actually built around a Mega to begin with and Mega Blaziken is pretty fantastic. Fire/Fighting coverage is amazing by itself so Swords Dance is used since Blaziken doesn't have a good move to hit Diancie with. You can also afford to actually run Adamant which gives you more power and Speed than LO Blaziken with less recoil. Blastoise and Salamence are a strong pair that helps Mega Blaziken set up and/or clean late-game, Genesect deals with Diancie and can surprise explode to remove threats to a Blaziken sweep, and Shaymin also checks Diancie while also threatening Blastoise. Tailwind is mostly filler but is still useful to prevent this team from being destroyed by an opponent's non-TR speed control. This team also really hates Trick Room but Blastoise has Roar for that and Shaymin deals with Diancie and Jellicent, while Darkrai has Taunt and also beats Meowstic and Bronzong.

With that out of the way I also have a quick nom. I know it hasn't been updated in the VR post but I personally think Mega Blaziken is more tier 2.5 than tier 3. Fire/Fighting is really good offensively and you still hit surprisingly hard even if you get Intimidated, and you smash Volcarona which is a crazy mon. I also don't usually feel the need to click Swords Dance when I use it so I don't think it's a super setup dependent mon either, Rock Slide/Stone Edge is also really cool and dunks opposing Fire-types and Flying-types like Mega Aero and Mence. Trick Room and Blastoise sucks for it but that's why I think it's more of a tier 2.5 mon and not higher (though tbh I'd rather use Mega Blaze than Luke or Lop but that's probably just bias).

In general I also don't feel like Mega opportunity cost is nearly as high in DUU as it is in DOU. At least when I make teams I often times find myself adding a Mega later in teambuilding so I'm not entirely convinced by opportunity cost being a huge issue, though I won't deny this tier does have plenty of good Fire-types that aren't Megas.

Guys, I've edited a post I made some weeks ago about a team. I've been playing this tier for some months and I've built a ton of teams, but that one is definitely my favourite one. It's on page 9, spot 210. Some moves on some mons have changed, and I've included a description of every single mon, as well as a guide on how to lead against different playstyles. There are also some replays of it. It's my favourite team and I'd really like you to read the post cause I've made a big effort in writting it.
page 9, spot 210 :)

New nomination:

Mega Sharpedo UR --> Tier 2.5 / 2

Simple and powerful mon. TURN 1: protect and get a speed boost. TURN 2: sub up/ wreck teams
Nah, seriously, this mon is surprisingly good. It gets to 463 speed after 1 speed boost (adamant nature), and 416 attack. It also has access to a great ability being strong jaw, which makes bite-based moves 50% stronger (Crunch gets to 120 power WITHOUT STAB, and 180 power with stab). Maybe his bigger flaws are his fragility and lack of spread moves, but this is not such a big issue considering that MegaSharp is a super fast and powerful mon which performs EXCELLENTLY against all kinds of playstyles. It outspeeds every mon in the tier, being easy to sweep HO teams. Balanced teams are not a problem cause it's super powerful and you also have other 5 mons. It's an amazing anti Trick room, being able to kill most setters including hoopa, cofagrigus, jellicent and victini, and also do a ton of damage to diancie and aromatisse, which get cleaned by a steel type such as genesect. Rain is obviously not a problem. Maybe the most difficult playstyle is Sun, which still can tear it up a bit with crunch.

Some calcs:

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 410-486 (101.4 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Colbur Berry Hoopa: 446-528 (122.5 - 145%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Victini: 452-534 (111.8 - 132.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Cofagrigus: 330-390 (103.1 - 121.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Those are only a few ones but it can literally 2HKO every single mon in tiers 1, 1.5 and 2, including mega altaria and tangela if sharp carries ice fang.
I can't think of any other mon able to do that...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)