Does music have an "effect" to change people in what they do?

I have seen people who started to listen to a lot of rap get, you know, more like the character of "gangsters". They start to act "cool" and quote verses from songs.

So yeah, I think music does have an "effect" to change people in what they do, but this is mostly in the rap/hip-hop area.
Living in Georgia, *suburbs in Georgia*, I see this a lot. People try to change everything about them no matter what race they are, they want to be wannabe gangsters. They become posers. They start talking like idiots. As a metal fan I don't be going *Dude this Suicide Silence song is so br00t@1!* (SS sucks btw, core sucks). It comes a lot from the mainstream is what I notice. The garbage posers like Lil Wayne, Drake, anyone on Young Money, 50 Cent, yada yada. Then there is the whole stupid sagging pants. All these people with their fake toughness. As my math teacher has said "Uh uh, there is no one hard in Lawrenceville, stop looking like a fool. You from the mean streets of Taylor Road." I completely agree with her.

Living in Georgia, *suburbs in Georgia*, I see this a lot. People try to change everything about them no matter what race they are, they want to be wannabe gangsters. They become posers. They start talking like idiots. As a metal fan I don't be going *Dude this Suicide Silence song is so br00t@1!* (SS sucks btw, core sucks). It comes a lot from the mainstream is what I notice. The garbage posers like Lil Wayne, Drake, anyone on Young Money, 50 Cent, yada yada. Then there is the whole stupid sagging pants. All these people with their fake toughness. As my math teacher has said "Uh uh, there is no one hard in Lawrenceville, stop looking like a fool. You from the mean streets of Taylor Road." I completely agree with her.
I completely agree with you. People need to stop acting like they're living in some dream world and wake up to reality. These...songs aren't going to do anything good for them, if they act like this. People need to start getting their act on. It's the only thing that can save them.

Unfortunately, Justin Bieber just did... all his songs may be different, but they all say "Oh girl I love you" which is plain unoriginal, I mean, people have been singing about love a loooooong time ago, the only reason he has fans is because they are young girls who think he is "hot". I can say that some of his songs like "One Time" are catchy, but that's about the only redeeming thing I can find. And even then, when he sings "One Time", he doesn't say it once, but maybe about 20 times, he could have at least thought of that before making the lyrics.
What? I said he didn't sell out, not he's original.

First off you can sell out. What happened to that little kid playing guitar and doing covers? The record label knew he would not sell that way. They knew a little kid saying shawty and throwing up that overused "A" sign would sell. Why does it sell? I blame the radio listeners. It sickens me how short their attention span is. Speaking of radio listeners, where's the Jonas Brothers fans? The next Beatles right? Some things happen in the lives of each one personal wise, and they got a bit heavier music wise. What happened? Those same people who claimed they were such big fans, turned on their ass for Justin Bieber.
Are people even reading my posts... When did I say you couldn't? I said he didn't. Do you know how many people on youtube are doing covers? People could do their own songs, but covers get more attention. That doesn't mean they want to do covers for the rest of their musical career.

You're basing your opinion on terrible stereotypes. I listen to the radio, but that's not the only thing I listen to, and if I like an artist, I'll almost always stick with them. However, not everyone is into music that intensely and often will just turn on the radio to dance or to hear something catchy.

Do you know how many musicians are out there who are working their ass off, playing their instruments writing their own songs? Instead of promoting talented musicians, we're promoting crap like Ke$ha and 3OH!3. I mean really, Ke$ha combines every bad musical element in mainstream music.
Besides the fact that I have already said Ke$ha does write her and other songs (as does 3OH!3 - their first cd was independently released), I agree that it would be nice if all musicians were displayed equally, but just because they're mainstream doesn't mean they didn't work hard to get where they are.

You could even argue that it's harder to be mainstream than it is to be independent. Like you had said, certain people will turn away from bands or artists if they aren't constantly played on the radio while indie fans tend to follow the band more religiously. Add in the fact that you have to have a certain look, sound, etc. and it could definitely be considered more difficult (or easier sometimes if you're lucky).

tl; dr: as long as there are people who will listen to music for the way it sounds more than what the message is, there will be mainstream. If you don't like it, turn off the radio.

Same meaning = unoriginal?

By that criteria Lady Gaga is unoriginal, and in fact so is every band of the last 30 odd years if not more.

A storyteller takes the same story and adds their own twist to it, so does a musician.

I've got a really fuckin odd taste in music; old country (i.e. not shitty pop country from Nashville), heavy metal and hard punk.. don't know if that changes me or if I listen to it because of the way I am.
Ah good point. I misphrased what I intended to say, I mean a LOT of artists sing about love and whatnot, but few, if any artists sing about Fame, the good side, and the bad side.

Ah good point. I misphrased what I intended to say, I mean a LOT of artists sing about love and whatnot, but few, if any artists sing about Fame, the good side, and the bad side.
There have been plenty.. hell I'm pretty sure even Eminem hit that topic.

What? I said he didn't sell out, not he's original.

Are people even reading my posts... When did I say you couldn't? I said he didn't. Do you know how many people on youtube are doing covers? People could do their own songs, but covers get more attention. That doesn't mean they want to do covers for the rest of their musical career.

You're basing your opinion on terrible stereotypes. I listen to the radio, but that's not the only thing I listen to, and if I like an artist, I'll almost always stick with them. However, not everyone is into music that intensely and often will just turn on the radio to dance or to hear something catchy.

Besides the fact that I have already said Ke$ha does write her and other songs (as does 3OH!3 - their first cd was independently released), I agree that it would be nice if all musicians were displayed equally, but just because they're mainstream doesn't mean they didn't work hard to get where they are.

You could even argue that it's harder to be mainstream than it is to be independent. Like you had said, certain people will turn away from bands or artists if they aren't constantly played on the radio while indie fans tend to follow the band more religiously. Add in the fact that you have to have a certain look, sound, etc. and it could definitely be considered more difficult (or easier sometimes if you're lucky).

tl; dr: as long as there are people who will listen to music for the way it sounds more than what the message is, there will be mainstream. If you don't like it, turn off the radio.
People listen to Justin Bieber because of how he looks. Look at the past with Backstreet Boyz, O-Town, New Kids on the Block, Britney Spears. People listen to Rihanna, which I still question. She's going back to her roots? Yeah in interviews back in 2006 you didn't have the stupid accent, now you do? She can't sing to add on, but those raised on American Idol believe she can.

Ke$ha is like Taylor Swift when she writes her own songs. She writes them completely poorly. Taylor Swift writes lyrics poorly and plays guitar poorly. I'll give anyone who is going at a very slow pace a year to be able to learn what Taylor Swift plays. Taylor Swift's singing, gosh it isn't anything special. Her voice could be found in the average high school chorus. But this is just the studio... She botches a lot singing live.

Ke$ha's lyrics that she wrote herself, who are they trying to appeal to? "Tik Tok" is really idiotic, it's like saying HEY LET'S GET DRUNK AND PARTY 24/7 CAUSE' THAT'S WHAT LIFE'S ALL ABOUT! By the way, does she have any idea what Mick Jagger looks like? No woman is going to stop by for a man that looks like Mick Jagger, unless they know/like the Rolling Stones and his music. It's really cheap saying his name, just to find a word that rhymes with swagger. Her singing style, is terrible. The auto-tune isn't helping and her voice is just very annoying. I'd rather listen to someone scratching a rusty nail on a chalkboard. "Blah Blah Blah" is even worst than "Tik Tok" this song features 3OH!3, I can't take it serious. In the past she was featured on a Flo Rida song. Nothing about her is positive.

"Tik Tok" and "Blah Blah Blah" are all I heard from Ke$ha, and I really believe that's all I need to hear. I was tortured with Drake's album, I don't feel I need to go and torture myself with a whole album from Ke$ha and her damn slut pop.

There have been plenty.. hell I'm pretty sure even Eminem hit that topic.
or David Bowie...

People listen to Justin Bieber because of how he looks. Look at the past with Backstreet Boyz, O-Town, New Kids on the Block, Britney Spears. People listen to Rihanna, which I still question. She's going back to her roots? Yeah in interviews back in 2006 you didn't have the stupid accent, now you do? She can't sing to add on, but those raised on American Idol believe she can.
If you really believe that, I feel sorry for you. People listen to it because it's catchy and current. If what you said was the case, all of his, rihanna, and all of the other people's singles you listed would be hits (which they weren't). Honestly, that is one of most ridiculous things I think I have ever heard and I'm starting to wonder if you're just a troll.

Ke$ha is like Taylor Swift when she writes her own songs. She writes them completely poorly. Taylor Swift writes lyrics poorly and plays guitar poorly. I'll give anyone who is going at a very slow pace a year to be able to learn what Taylor Swift plays. Taylor Swift's singing, gosh it isn't anything special. Her voice could be found in the average high school chorus. But this is just the studio... She botches a lot singing live.

Ke$ha's lyrics that she wrote herself, who are they trying to appeal to? "Tik Tok" is really idiotic, it's like saying HEY LET'S GET DRUNK AND PARTY 24/7 CAUSE' THAT'S WHAT LIFE'S ALL ABOUT! By the way, does she have any idea what Mick Jagger looks like? No woman is going to stop by for a man that looks like Mick Jagger, unless they know/like the Rolling Stones and his music. It's really cheap saying his name, just to find a word that rhymes with swagger. Her singing style, is terrible. The auto-tune isn't helping and her voice is just very annoying. I'd rather listen to someone scratching a rusty nail on a chalkboard. "Blah Blah Blah" is even worst than "Tik Tok" this song features 3OH!3, I can't take it serious. In the past she was featured on a Flo Rida song. Nothing about her is positive.

"Tik Tok" and "Blah Blah Blah" are all I heard from Ke$ha, and I really believe that's all I need to hear. I was tortured with Drake's album, I don't feel I need to go and torture myself with a whole album from Ke$ha and her damn slut pop.
Like I had already said, Ke$ha's lyrics aren't to be taken seriously. She has even said this. And that's exactly what you're doing - taking it too seriously. Her music and a lot of mainstream isn't for everybody, and it's obviously not for you, but just because you don't like it, doesn't mean you have to constantly bash it. Don't listen to it, it's not that hard.

Anyway I think I'm done with this pointless discussion, I'm tired of constantly repeating myself.

If you really believe that, I feel sorry for you. People listen to it because it's catchy and current. If what you said was the case, all of his, rihanna, and all of the other people's singles you listed would be hits (which they weren't). Honestly, that is one of most ridiculous things I think I have ever heard and I'm starting to wonder if you're just a troll.
Because thousands of women did not go on about how hot Lance, Justin, and JC were right? Because all those women were not talking about what these guys were doing in the music videos. Try this same formula with people who don't look all that appealing, I guarantee you people will not be listening to it.

oh yeah, I just remembered Haus of GaGa. It's her entire design/production company which collaborates on her clothes and stage sets and sounds. And if you knew mainstream you would also know that it, unfortunately, has everything to do with image. Mainstream has nothing to do with music quality in case you haven't noticed. It's about being current and catchy and she's knows exactly what she's doing.
^image is only part of the formula.

or David Bowie...
Theres a reason I didn't write the entire list; it would've been a long list.

I was using Eminem to make a point using someone the children of today would have heard of :)

^image is only part of the formula.
Image + metronome beat + synthesized vocals = most pop music.

As Bill Hicks put it; they're taking AIDs germs off slides, putting a metronome beat behind them and Ted Turner's colorizing them.

Ugh pretty sure people in the South are only exposed to the most atrocious forms of rap. Snap music or some shit :|

Ugh pretty sure people in the South are only exposed to the most atrocious forms of rap. Snap music or some shit :|
A lot of bad music down here in Georgia when it comes to hip hop. At least Outkast doesn't suck though. I always feel that when that crunkcore idiot Lil Jon got popular, mainstream hip hop just became so bad and unbearable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)