Does music have an "effect" to change people in what they do?

I don't actively listen to Drake, but Forever is most probably one of my favorite modern-day songs. Although it was a four-person collab, it still remains a good song regardless.

To answer your question, why do people have fanboy fights? Because one person thinks the PS3 is awesomesauce, and won't accept any other opinion. The adamancy of people these days cause them to bash anyone with a remotely different opinion. I can't say everyone is always like this, but most people express it for some topics. Some homophobics refuse to listen to any arguments supporting homosexuality, and on a less serious note, some pop-addicts refuse to listen to any songs that are of the rock or metal genre. It's just the way the mind works, and it's a flaw.

Just because you don't like Justin Bieber doesn't mean that he/she sucks as a singer. That can be your grounded opinion, but that doesn't mean everybody who likes Justin Bieber is a homosexual or deaf or a three-year-old teenage girl (contradiction). The fact is when you have a strong opinion, you refuse to believe that anyone could be stupid enough (in your opinion) to listen to Justin Bieber.

I probably made a large post out of a insignificant topic, but it does go on to explain why some people bash others for opposing tastes.

Although this post did nothing to explain/answer the question posed in the OP. =P

Time to vent. I heard you liek walls of text.

I wouldn't say music definetly changes people just their mindset (Rap pumps up some people, metal for others, on and on), but I feel most people are drawn to music because of their past experiences and can relate to it, or because everyone else likes it and they just want to it in, but there is no certainty to either of these opinions becasue your not in their head.

I enjoy pretty much all music at least a little (except Country), even though at heart I'm a metal head I think Eminem is a great rapper because he raps about real stuff not just "Get money-I fucked dem bitches nine times", I like Reggae like Marley and Peter Tosh, I like Classic Rock such as The Beatles, Zeppelin, The Stones, Floyd even some Show Tunes music like Rent and Across The Universe, and even oldies like Elvis and Sinatra.

But I feel most mainstream stuff nowadays isn't about the music anymore as someone could talk into a mic and could have it over produced and made into an album. I don't want to bash peoples opinions on music as I love it but I hate it when people listen to stuff just beacuse it's popular even if the song has no point at all or is about the same thing as EVERY mainstream artists (money, girls, fame, love), and it blows my mind that people think Lady GaGa and Bieber and Drake (I could have wrote some of that) are musical greats while Metallica sucks because they can't understand the words (Srsly? Learn to listen, not follow how easy is rap to get?) even though they are excellent instrumentalist, so I just think that peoples idea of "good" music has greatly been degraded, I'm not saying my music is better than yours, by all means listen to what you are drawn to and more power to you for doing so, just that I don't see the merit in 95% of mainstream music.

I also want to comment on how using the media to raise children albeit common, is terrible parenting in the same way that blaming Ozzy for peoples suicide is bad parenting or video games making people kill others is bad parenting, parents need to have more control over their kids and what they are exposed to, which is nigh impossible because they can only monitor when they are around.

Honestly even though I'm 16 and still a "kid" in some peoples eyes I feel that the youth of this nation are absolute shit as they have no respect for anything they don't like or don't know about and they feel that it makes them better than everyone else because they have an opinion "lolwut". But I guess that's just how it goes. / End rant / Steps off soapbox.

tl;dr
I think music changes mindsets, but we can't know for sure, listen to what you like not what other people like. Mainstream music (as is most mainstream media of any kind Movies, TV etc. but I love me some comedies) is dying as is the parenting ability and youth of our nation. And thanks and much love to whoever took time out of their day to read all of this. Also don't let this turn into flame material and derail the thread just my $0.02

Get money-I fucked dem bitches nine times

Erm, isn't that a horribly misunderstood stereotype? I'm not advocating rappers or pop artists, but how would you feel if someone said metal music was all about bowing down to Satan and commiting acts of sin? Music stereotypes are more often than not correct, and not all rappers talk about fucking bitches all the time. I agree that it is a recurring theme through rap (and even pop) music, but there are other lyrics involved, some which have more meaning than your generic sex songs.

people think Lady GaGa and Bieber and Drake (I could have wrote some of that) are musical greats while Metallica sucks because they can't understand the words

Again, this is what I said about deep-rooted opinions and adamancy. Pop-addicts love Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber and Drake (although Drake is more rap instead of pop, right?), and they wrongly bash metal music (which is what I am assuming Metallica is) because of their opinions. But in the same vein, you are bashing pop music (or at least hinting at it) after you explicitly stated that you were a metal-head. I think it would do everyone a favor if everyone would listen to their own music and not give a shit what anyone else listens to. Go to any metal or rock song on YouTube, and one of the top rated comments will be "x number of people [who disliked the song] are Justin Bieber fans". This just overall shows the idiocy of anyone who has deep-rooted feelings about any genre of music.

Music changes a person as much as violent video games makes a non-psychopathic person a killer. That is not an absolute no, as Firestorm stated absolutists in this argument are wrong entirely. But the effect of music on one's personality, in most cases, is insignificantly small.

Am I bashing it. If you feel I am then I apologize I just feel very strongly about music. I wasn't directing my post at everyone who like pop music just the people who believe that it's gods gift to earth and all other music is irrelavent (even though all music has roots in other genres) and therefore are ignorant close minded people, I woudn't not talk to someone because they like Rap or Justin Bieber or w/e because I just don't care what they listen to as it doesn't affect me at all, I'm also not saying it's bad music just that I don't get the appeal.

Also my rap example was an example and just that (also a true one) as you said it is a recurring theme, and stereotypes (can you even call it that if it's true?) are used to define everything nowadays so why should music be any different? Have you listened to any rap music lately that isn't kind of R&B like Drake, I'm talking Hardcore rap where all they do talk about is girls, and money you can say that they have deeper meanings:

"I wake up and got four or five bitches in the bed
Smokin weed drinkin liquor by the keg
I was born an OG if you ain't hear bout me
I put 4 or 5 bullets in your head"

Real lyrics from a pretty popular Ace Hood song, your right these are pretty deep. Please don't give me the "rap is more than just money/girls because of one or two songs on an album" because (almost all) rappers do songs like that at one point, yeah some of it is real as I said but most of it is just about what I described (I don't wanna argue on this point because people will blindly defend what they love regardless) while there are Metal artists who do songs only about Politics/Nihlism/Humanity in general and have nothing to do with Murder/Satan and if people said it was I wouldn't care becuase I know what it's really about to me.

It is absolutely fruitless to sit here and argue about what music is about because people will listen to it anyway so I will walk away from this and leave it at that. Also sorry for raping you eyes with all my words but I drank 2 and a half cups of coffee today for the first time in a while and I'm pretty wired.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ParadoxFTW, it's pretty hypocritical to base all your assumptions on rap on mainstream shit when you yourself say mainstream music doesn't have a lot of depth to it. As for why people listen to mainstream pop, it's because it's catchy and played enough on the radio that they get it in their heads. I honestly don't see any problem people liking the catchy flavour of the month.

There are exceptions to the stereotype that mainstream music today is shallow, but right now sex sells. Rapping about smackin' hoes and cappin niggas, or singing catchy tunes about how slutty you are is going to make money. But like I said, there are exceptions to the rule, which is why we can't cover every song that gets a fair amount of airtime with the "pop garbage" blanket.

The thing that irks me is how the majority of the ENTIRE WORLD grossly overrates a lot of the "talent" that's selling these days. Justin Bieber is an annoying douche mildly capable at singing, but the media makes him out to be the second coming of Christ. Same goes for GaGa. It might sound hipster, but if the two of them were less popular I would have a lot more respect for them. Less so for Bieber, because I just can't stand his voice.

Well, apparently in Japan in 1996, when Pokemon Green came out. About one hundered children commited suicide after hearing the Lavender Town Music and the Ghost
*Shivers*
thats a hoax bro

Neither does Ke$ha. She actually plays several instruments, is and has been a songwriter, and has meaning behind most of her songs. The same thing happens to her that happens to a lot of mainstream artists: either people take her too seriously or don't actually look into it and pass it off as junk.
i heard on npr that kesha actually doesn't like her music and that she tried doing the genre she liked, but couldn't be successful.

i think more than anything who you are drives what you listen to.

and the only thing that bugs me about most pop is how cookie cutter it is. there was a video i saw on youtube about how all the pop songs since clapton have been in the same key and the same four chords, and there was a guy who proved it.

also all this i am a creative individual bullshit. i saw the flaming lips live last week and they rolled out in their hamster ball and i realized they have been doing this same act for 15 years! and they claim to be creative.

mainly the same reason i hate most emo kids

Honestly, why can't we just listen to music because we like it? None of my favorite music is current or pop-y, but I don't hate pop artists and everything they stand for.

And yeah, Drake sucks.
Justin Bieber is an annoying douche mildly capable at singing, but the media makes him out to be the second coming of Christ. Same goes for GaGa. It might sound hipster, but if the two of them were less popular I would have a lot more respect for them. Less so for Bieber, because I just can't stand his voice.
you're doing this on purpose right?

and you might want to be careful, Lady GaGa has posted in this thread!

i heard on npr that kesha actually doesn't like her music and that she tried doing the genre she liked, but couldn't be successful.

i think more than anything who you are drives what you listen to.

and the only thing that bugs me about most pop is how cookie cutter it is. there was a video i saw on youtube about how all the pop songs since clapton have been in the same key and the same four chords, and there was a guy who proved it.

also all this i am a creative individual bullshit. i saw the flaming lips live last week and they rolled out in their hamster ball and i realized they have been doing this same act for 15 years! and they claim to be creative.

mainly the same reason i hate most emo kids
yeah i feel ya.

and it's funny you say that because supposedly ke$ha wants something different on her next record, she said "like Flaming Lips-y, Arcade Fire-y"...should be interesting how that goes.

Get money-I fucked dem bitches nine times

people think Lady GaGa and Bieber and Drake (I could have wrote some of that) are musical greats while Metallica sucks because they can't understand the words

Again, this is what I said about deep-rooted opinions and adamancy. Pop-addicts love Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber and Drake (although Drake is more rap instead of pop, right?), and they wrongly bash metal music (which is what I am assuming Metallica is) because of their opinions. But in the same vein, you are bashing pop music (or at least hinting at it) after you explicitly stated that you were a metal-head. I think it would do everyone a favor if everyone would listen to their own music and not give a shit what anyone else listens to. Go to any metal or rock song on YouTube, and one of the top rated comments will be "x number of people [who disliked the song] are Justin Bieber fans". This just overall shows the idiocy of anyone who has deep-rooted feelings about any genre of music.

I like Lady Gaga, but I dislike Justin Bieber, he only appeals to young girls, I may be a 15 year old girl myself, but geez, he needs to do better than that to appeal to a larger audience, all his songs are like "Oh girl I love you" wow how original, and that was sarcasm, and what kind of a 16 year old hasn't hit puberty, even I have a manlier voice than he does, and that's saying something. And I don't like metal, but I don't go to Metallica's videos and click dislike, as my parents said "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it."

There are exceptions to the stereotype that mainstream music today is shallow, but right now sex sells. Rapping about smackin' hoes and cappin niggas, or singing catchy tunes about how slutty you are is going to make money. But like I said, there are exceptions to the rule, which is why we can't cover every song that gets a fair amount of airtime with the "pop garbage" blanket.

The thing that irks me is how the majority of the ENTIRE WORLD grossly overrates a lot of the "talent" that's selling these days. Justin Bieber is an annoying douche mildly capable at singing, but the media makes him out to be the second coming of Christ. Same goes for GaGa. It might sound hipster, but if the two of them were less popular I would have a lot more respect for them. Less so for Bieber, because I just can't stand his voice.
At least Gaga appeals to a wider range of audience, and not just young girls, and her songs mean more than "Oh I love you so much". Bieber has got to be the most hated artist of all time, if you go to Metacritic the user score is at 19%. Wow, I am amazed. Gaga has gotten 72% for "The Fame" and 74% for "The Fame Monster", so yeah, this means that the only people whom are fans of Bieber are young girls, and for Gaga is much more varied, because her songs at least have some meaning, and although she doesn't show it, she is a pretty accomplished pianist and has talent she rarely shows for an odd reason, look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3R3KqrJAI4

Is that Lady Gaga talking in third person? lol

Music has an effect on people on what they wear, sometimes, like somebody might get a band t-shirt or something. Music can inspire people to go make music themselves, or to inspire them to go to club for the sole purpose of dancing, but it really all depends on the person. Different people react differently to all different kinds of music. It makes me kinda curious about it actually.. Is the music you end up liking kinda genetic? It probly has to do with your personality and ppl around you, etc.

For me.. I like messing around trying to make music w/ ableton =P

and it's funny you say that because supposedly ke$ha wants something different on her next record, she said "like Flaming Lips-y, Arcade Fire-y"...should be interesting how that goes.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!exclaim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im listening to the flaming lips now and i saw them live a few weeks ago.
also im pumped for arcade fire's new album.

if youre personality is affected my the music you listed to, than youre weak minded, not affected by the music. i can listen to pop dem ho's and rool wit dem niggas for a longs time and not be affected.

and i had to listen to avenged sevenfolds new album at my work for 3 hours and i wanted to kill myself.

there not that bad but i also had to watch the music videos whitch are the dumbest things, its just like 'hate hate hate its so badass to be a deuche blah blah'

dont get me started on how i feel about disturbed

Because obviously, I am not her, just a fan. Take a look at the user named Megan Fox, she's the same case.
Don't know why Lady Gaga would be posting on a Pokemon forum anyway. Speaking of Megan Fox, they need to stop casting her in movies. It's really tiring of this whole she's hot thing, being attractive does not mean you have acting skills.

Point taken on Gaga. I still have a problem with her "weird for the sake of weird" schtick, though. At least she's better than Bieber.

Point taken on Gaga. I still have a problem with her "weird for the sake of weird" schtick, though. At least she's better than Bieber.
Me too, people are always talking about what she wears. That's all image, what does image have to do with music quality? She doesn't even make/design the clothing herself anyway. Justin Bieber is a very big music sell out, and his fans have very short attention spans and will jump ship as soon some other musician douche who has no talent comes along that the radio wants to promote.

Me too, people are always talking about what she wears. That's all image, what does image have to do with music quality? She doesn't even make/design the clothing herself anyway. Justin Bieber is a very big music sell out, and his fans have very short attention spans and will jump ship as soon some other musician douche who has no talent comes along that the radio wants to promote.
god, you are so misinformed .-.

Before Lady GaGa posts, I will say that she does make/design her clothes. At least some of her clothes, as I remember seeing a special on where she shared the inspiration, meaning, yada yada. As for details, you'd have to take that up with her.

Plus you can't 'sell out' if you never did purposeful music. He's always done teen boppy, catchy music, but whatever, this is just what I was talking about when I said people trash mainstream without knowing anything about it in the first place.

EDiT: oh yeah, I just remembered Haus of GaGa. It's her entire design/production company which collaborates on her clothes and stage sets and sounds. And if you knew mainstream you would also know that it, unfortunately, has everything to do with image. Mainstream has nothing to do with music quality in case you haven't noticed. It's about being current and catchy and she's knows exactly what she's doing.

god, you are so misinformed .-.

Before Lady GaGa posts, I will say that she does make/design her clothes. At least some of her clothes, as I remember seeing a special on where she shared the inspiration, meaning, yada yada. As for details, you'd have to take that up with her.

Plus you can't 'sell out' if you never did purposeful music. He's always done teen boppy, catchy music, but whatever, this is just what I was talking about when I said people trash mainstream without knowing anything about it in the first place.

EDiT: oh yeah, I just remembered Haus of GaGa. It's her entire design/production company which collaborates on her clothes and stage sets and sounds. And if you knew mainstream you would also know that it, unfortunately, has everything to do with image. Mainstream has nothing to do with music quality in case you haven't noticed. It's about being current and catchy and she's knows exactly what she's doing.
Unfortunately, Justin Bieber just did... all his songs may be different, but they all say "Oh girl I love you" which is plain unoriginal, I mean, people have been singing about love a loooooong time ago, the only reason he has fans is because they are young girls who think he is "hot". I can say that some of his songs like "One Time" are catchy, but that's about the only redeeming thing I can find. And even then, when he sings "One Time", he doesn't say it once, but maybe about 20 times, he could have at least thought of that before making the lyrics.

Unfortunately, Justin Bieber just did... all his songs may be different, but they all say "Oh girl I love you" which is plain unoriginal, I mean, people have been singing about love a loooooong time ago.

Same meaning = unoriginal?

By that criteria Lady Gaga is unoriginal, and in fact so is every band of the last 30 odd years if not more.

A storyteller takes the same story and adds their own twist to it, so does a musician.

I've got a really fuckin odd taste in music; old country (i.e. not shitty pop country from Nashville), heavy metal and hard punk.. don't know if that changes me or if I listen to it because of the way I am.

Yeah I was kidding about the lady gaga talking in third person thing lol.. that would be wicked cool though ^_~

Don't know why Lady Gaga would be posting on a Pokemon forum anyway. Speaking of Megan Fox, they need to stop casting her in movies. It's really tiring of this whole she's hot thing, being attractive does not mean you have acting skills.
I think the reason why btw is because nobody really wants to see ugly people act. =p I understand where you're coming from though, what you say is true.

Plus you can't 'sell out' if you never did purposeful music. He's always done teen boppy, catchy music, but whatever, this is just what I was talking about when I said people trash mainstream without knowing anything about it in the first place..
First off you can sell out. What happened to that little kid playing guitar and doing covers? The record label knew he would not sell that way. They knew a little kid saying shawty and throwing up that overused "A" sign would sell. Why does it sell? I blame the radio listeners. It sickens me how short their attention span is. Speaking of radio listeners, where's the Jonas Brothers fans? The next Beatles right? Some things happen in the lives of each one personal wise, and they got a bit heavier music wise. What happened? Those same people who claimed they were such big fans, turned on their ass for Justin Bieber.

Do you know how many musicians are out there who are working their ass off, playing their instruments writing their own songs? Instead of promoting talented musicians, we're promoting crap like Ke$ha and 3OH!3. I mean really, Ke$ha combines every bad musical element in mainstream music.

I have seen people who started to listen to a lot of rap get, you know, more like the character of "gangsters". They start to act "cool" and quote verses from songs.

So yeah, I think music does have an "effect" to change people in what they do, but this is mostly in the rap/hip-hop area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)