Does music have an "effect" to change people in what they do?

Recently I has forced to listen to Drake's studio album Thank Me Later, while being in the car with my brother. Where is all the hype to this guy coming from? There wasn't any song I liked on that album. The main problem I have with this album is that on every song on the album Drake has zero energy, he freaking talks like nothing is going on. He also has terrible flow. His album was like any of his singles, but multiply it for a whole album. Every song on the album is among the lines of money, the popularity he has, and how he got well known in little time.

With that said my older brother's music catalog consists of anything off of the mainstream such as Lil Wayne, Eminem, Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, T-Pain, any other generic radio rapper/pop act that sounds the same. He constantly insults me and any other person who actually listens to any older music (1960, 70, etc) just because it's older. He gets on people's weight, he insults anyone for being a virgin. He assumes things he "thinks" he understands. He de-grades women as well.

With that said, do you believe music has an effect on people on the type of choices they make?

Buffalo_Wings

Abnormally Cruel
is an Artist Alumnus
I think it's more that that kind of person is drawn to that kind of music.
Then again, If you grow up exposed to a culture like that it probably has some kind of influence

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Your brother sounds like trash. I think he picked that music because of the way he is, not because the music "made" him that way.

Would I be right in assuming dropout/lower highschool?

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First off, yeah thank me later was a disappointment. The only good songs were Over and Miss Me imo.

Secondly, Lil Wayne and Eminem are good! :|

I listen to them and I don't go around calling women hos or "cappin niggas," but some people can take some of that stuff literally and it can affect them.

norulz

excellent
I listen to them and I don't go around calling women hos or "cappin niggas," but some people can take some of that stuff literally and it can affect them.
that would be caused by sheer ignorance and/or idiocy, not the music itself, it just serves as a "passageway" if people are willing to swallow any (if any) message in any song.

I do believe music changes people, their minds and ways of thinking especially.

take for example, considering the fact that there is a history for every genre in the music scene, if you get to enjoy a certain kind of genre, you have an easier time understanding and adapting to the underlying culture that created the genre.

to directly answer the topic, considering how you "do what you think is right", it'd be an easy assumption that "music changes what we do", since it "changes how we think".

I dunno, it could affect the way someone behaves I guess, but it could also work the other way, where the person is like that so they are drawn to that kind of music. Personally, I don't know anyone who is like that, I guess where I'm from we have more vaired libraries. I mean, I've got everything from Queen to Eminem to Linkin Park to Journey to Skillet to Train. Still, I wouldn't really sweat it.

Music is a culture on it's own, therefore it's bound to have some effect on us. I know music is a big part of my life, it helps me connect with the world, helps me connect with my feelings, and makes me see people for who they really are, and see me for who I really am. Do I act differently based on the music I'm listening to? No, but it doesn't surprise me that it does affect the behaviours of some people. Really, your brother sounds a total ass, but, that isn't necessarily because of his music, but it probably does have something to do with it.

First off, yeah thank me later was a disappointment. The only good songs were Over and Miss Me imo.

Secondly, Lil Wayne and Eminem are good! :|
I'll have to agree with TC, Drake is total hype. Lil Wayne has never been any good, anyone who says so isn't trying hard enough in hip hop. Anything Eminem has released after The Eminem Show has been trash.

Back on topic, living in Georgia I see a lot of ignorant people who talk and act the way the TC's brother does. My brother is the exact same way to be honest. Anyway, I listen to a lot of metal (mainly trad and thrash), people make stupid assumptions when it comes to death metal. Listening to death metal with gore lyrics (Obituary) is no different than watching a horror movie, it's good fun but *is not* suppose to be taken into actual seriousness such as killing someone.

It seems to me you don't give new music any real chance of you liking it the sane way your brother doesn't like old music (although I don't like alot of the main stresam artist aswell) to me it seems both of you are equally stubborn and always bicker and you most likely always insult his music constantly which can be very annoying so he just answers back saying the music you like sucks IMO you both need to get off your high horse and it seems to me you feel yours is taller

I dunno, it could affect the way someone behaves I guess, but it could also work the other way, where the person is like that so they are drawn to that kind of music. Personally, I don't know anyone who is like that, I guess where I'm from we have more vaired libraries. I mean, I've got everything from Queen to Eminem to Linkin Park to Journey to Skillet to Train. Still, I wouldn't really sweat it.
It seems to me you don't give new music any real chance of you liking it the sane way your brother doesn't like old music
I agree with these statements.

Music, and any other media outlet, only affects someone as much as they allow it, honestly. It depends on the person as well. So sure, your bro may be a douche because of the music he listens to, but he could also be a douche because he's a douche.

I don't really see the connection between mainstream and the things that you listed anyway. I listen to all types of music, including mainstream, but I frequently listen to music for the sound of it more than the message. So if something is catchy I'll listen to it and possibly not even notice what the song is about. I think the difference is that I can differentiate when a song has a stupid theme/message rather than going 'oh this is cool, I should do this'. If the song does have a nice message, that just makes it even better, but it's not a deciding factor for me most of the time (unless it's just really ridiculous lol). Which reminds me of how I never really understood the unspeakable hate of mainstream. Not all of it is that terrible.

It seems to me you don't give new music any real chance of you liking it the sane way your brother doesn't like old music (although I don't like alot of the main stresam artist aswell) to me it seems both of you are equally stubborn and always bicker and you most likely always insult his music constantly which can be very annoying so he just answers back saying the music you like sucks IMO you both need to get off your high horse and it seems to me you feel yours is taller
What exactly would you consider *new* music? How many years apart? I listen to a lot of music, but there are genres I can not stand such as nu metal, any core genre, pop punk, pop, and a few others. Lil Wayne has been around for some years, he has started to get popular and over hyped. There is nothing about him that is good. Drake is just like a carbon copy of Lil Wayne, everything bad and the same stupid lyrics. I don't know what you would consider new music, but I have enjoyed some musicians/bands from the 2000's such as Immortal Technique. A band that released their first album this year named White Wizzard is something else I like.

There are legitimate reasons on anytime I hate a musician/band. I don't disown anything because it's old.

No such thing... we make our own choices like what Super said. I may listen to mainstream music, but I am quite picky, I have so far only liked Lady Gaga (which I don't have to explain but whatever) and your brother apparently doesn't understand the meaning of the word "opinion".

And about him insulting people for being a virgin and getting on people's weight, what has that gotta do with music, except maybe some dirty ones, but you can't blame them, he is obviously indecent and needs to be taught some manners, although considering he is probably in his late teens it would be too late.

My older brother is actually an adult in his twenty's. My little brother although is not the same "yet", he seems to be down that road. For example he always goes into a lot of relationships with girls that aren't really honest, and ends up wasting their time and his time. He is a pretty big trend follower as well.

He insults virgins and fat people because that's what Lady Gaga and Ke$ha sing about, you insult his music for being "bad and stupid" because people in the 70s were way smarter and had bigger brains than us.

I listen to music.

He insults virgins and fat people because that's what Lady Gaga and Ke$ha sing about, you insult his music for being "bad and stupid" because people in the 70s were way smarter and had bigger brains than us.

I listen to music.
Maybe Ke$ha does, but Lady Gaga doesn't; Gaga has sung about the good side of fame, and the bad side of fame... not that many people will understand it. I also listen to the 70s, like Bee Gees, Aerosmith, ABBA etc.

You have to be a complete loser to actually take direct influence from the music you listen to. Wearing T-shirts for your band is okay, talking about how cool your band is is okay, getting a poster of your band is okay, but if you feel a change in your personality or behavior because of the music you listen to, that's pathetic. And sadly, it's the case for many people. Sure you can enjoy your music and tell other people about it, but don't center your life around it

Right now music is people's role models as parents have turned the tv(also filled with this main stream music) , ipods, internet, etc to fill in parenting. (as opposed to going fishing/cooking meals/whatever bonding experience people in the past used to become closer with their parents).

EDIT:

I listen to music.
Bigger brains don't make you smarter. Everytime something is memorized(or learned) wrinkles are created in the brain. (if you see an alocholic's brain its a smooth brain) If someone is really smart then their brain is really wrinkled, and if something is wrinkled extensively it would be smaller not bigger.

You have to be a complete loser to actually take direct influence from the music you listen to. Wearing T-shirts for your band is okay, talking about how cool your band is is okay, getting a poster of your band is okay, but if you feel a change in your personality or behavior because of the music you listen to, that's pathetic. And sadly, it's the case for many people. Sure you can enjoy your music and tell other people about it, but don't center your life around it
Juggulos man. Goddamn Jugs.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What about music for the purposes of propaganda? This was widely employed in places like Communist China and Soviet Russia, and still is in places like North Korea. The theory is that if children started singing songs with patriotic and pro-government sentiments at school they would grow up to be the "perfect" citizens. Meanwhile adults were moulded by having these same sorts of songs bombarded to them over the government-controlled radio stations. It is arguable that music as propaganda has a real effect on the moods and actions of the population.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All media has an effect on people. How large an effect it has depends on the individual and a variety of factors. Saying outright no or yes is an extreme and false.

Maybe Ke$ha does, but Lady Gaga doesn't; Gaga has sung about the good side of fame, and the bad side of fame... not that many people will understand it. I also listen to the 70s, like Bee Gees, Aerosmith, ABBA etc.
Neither does Ke$ha. She actually plays several instruments, is and has been a songwriter, and has meaning behind most of her songs. The same thing happens to her that happens to a lot of mainstream artists: either people take her too seriously or don't actually look into it and pass it off as junk.

Right now music is people's role models as parents have turned the tv(also filled with this main stream music) , ipods, internet, etc to fill in parenting. (as opposed to going fishing/cooking meals/whatever bonding experience people in the past used to become closer with their parents).

EDIT:

Bigger brains don't make you smarter. Everytime something is memorized(or learned) wrinkles are created in the brain. (if you see an alocholic's brain its a smooth brain) If someone is really smart then their brain is really wrinkled, and if something is wrinkled extensively it would be smaller not bigger.
that's called bad parenting. i've read this post several times for some reason but i still don't see the point of it.

Juggulos man. Goddamn Jugs.
word. not everyone's experience is the same as others, so certain music or lifestyles aren't for certain people. doesn't mean you're a complete loser..

Saying no is false? People just talk themselves into things; music only changes people because they spend time on it and make up rules about how to be changed by it. There is a difference between getting pumped up by a song or finding ethereal dream pop complimentary to the beauty of nature, that is an effect, but it is not the type of affectation that this guy means.

Well, apparently in Japan in 1996, when Pokemon Green came out. About one hundered children commited suicide after hearing the Lavender Town Music and the Ghost
*Shivers*

On a bit of a tangent, I agree that people who listen to pop music are slightly fanatical about their taste, and often I see them insulting others for listening to... other music. Granted, I listen to a hefty amount of pop music, but I'm not one to go cussing people out for their taste.

I have to agree with Firestorm, although I'm definitly offset to the "no" side. Music doesn't really affect completely what you do. People who listen to metal 24/7 don't commit suicide or become Satanists, or any other bad stereotypes I can think of for metal music. Sure, some could be influenced by hardcore metal music and be changed because of it, but in most scenarios, it is just the taste of music that suits you.

Your brother's actions aren't necessarily based off of the music he listens to. I understand he is older, but has he acted the same when he didn't listen to music at all (like most of us did when we were young, although Barney was the shit)? It could simply be your brother's personality, and I doubt he could be affected to such an extremity from simply listening to pop music.

Just my two cents, really.

Honestly, why can't we just listen to music because we like it? None of my favorite music is current or pop-y, but I don't hate pop artists and everything they stand for. Ke$ha's songs are kinda catchy, albeit meaningless. Eminem's new album is pretty good, I thought.

Kind of like what Slater said, people either like what's on the radio and dismiss everything else as old or lame, or they immediately regard anything on the iTunes top 10 as total trash. A lot of it is. But a lot of those "undiscovered" or whatever bands are trash too. As for pop music, I don't have a problem liking cliche music with stupid lyrics as long as it sounds good. I'll just have a healthy dose of intelligence afterward. You and your brother should have an open mind.

And yeah, Drake sucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)