Sign-Up Apprentice Program Signups: Old Gens OU

phosphor

ghosts appear and fade away
is a Top Tutoris a Community Leader
B101 Leader

Welcome to Battling 101! If you're seeking a tutor for Old Gens OU, you are in the right place. Please read all the rules carefully and fill out every part of the application.

Available Formats:
SS OU, SM OU, XY OU, BW OU, DPP OU, ADV OU, GSC OU, RBY OU

THE RULES

• You must be able to access Discord, or whatever your tutor wants as the primary form of communication.
  • You must be willing to use Pokemon Showdown! even if you are being tutored in a cartridge format such as Battle Spot or VGC.
  • You, the tutee, should have at least 15 posts before signing up AND your account's age should be a minimum of at least 1 month old before signing up.
    • This is not a strict requirement meaning you may still be paired without satisfying it, so no matter what, DO NOT spam post elsewhere in the forum. That is an infractable offense and we do not encourage such behavior from potential Tutees.
  • You must have battled competitively for a decent amount in at least ONE of the Smogon tiers or Battle Spot / VGC to sign up. Playing 10 or so matches on the PS! ladder is not substantial enough, ~70 or so is more reasonable. This experience does not need to be for the format you sign-up for; this is just to weed out people who have never played competitively that can improve themselves simply by using resources already available to them without needing a tutor to hold their hand.
  • You, the tutee, are responsible for setting up times with your tutor. When you receive the Smogon notification informing you of the pairing, please take the initiative and post on their VM wall first. Continued scheduling and communication is key to a successful pairing!
  • Use the Tutee Talk forum to complain about your tutor (or praise them if they're doing a good job). These are no longer mandatory, but if your tutor is ridiculously inactive or is a complete jackass, COMPLAIN HERE. Nobody can see your tutee talk posts except for you and the Battling 101 Staff; everything is confidential.
  • Signups older than 4 months or 1 month since last login will be considered inactive. These will be moved to the Inactive Posts thread, and can be returned back to this thread by request.
  • Tutors can and will drop you if sessions go badly, and significant violations may result in a ban from B101. Be active, be enthusiastic, be respectful. Make the best of your time together!
Here is the signup template, and an example sign-up post.
Username:
PS! Username:
Signup Format:
Your timezone:
Usual Hours of Availability:
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):
Are you able to use Discord?:
Username: Shiba
PS! Username: Big Sean
Signup Format: SV OU
Your timezone: EST (GMT -5)
Usual Hours of Availability: weekdays 8 PM - 12 AM, weekends 12 PM - 12 AM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing competitively in early XY and spammed Baton Pass on the ladder. I was pretty skilled I guess. I then got more involved with Smogon and started to play in various tournaments like UUPL and later on Snake and SPL. I could use a bit more practice in this tier though, so I'm looking to get help
Are you able to use Discord?: Yes
Signup template for Chinese language tutoring:
你的Smogon ID:
你的PSID:
想报名学习的分级:
你的时区:
通常空闲的时间:
简单介绍你的宝可梦对战经历(至少三句话):

Last edited:
Edit:returned 19 march 2024
Username: Bahamut
PS! Username: Bahamut (usually find me in old shark room)
Signup Format: ORAS
Your timezone: EST
Usual Hours of Availability: Almost Any. I have a lot of free time during the day currently.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon: Well I can't say when i started playing mons but its been quite a few years now. I played gen 7 anything goes for a while off and on. eventually topped the ladder in that. I played a bit of gen 6 PH in the old shark room back when it was private a few years back and people such as Dramlamb and AVcosmoem were around. I eventually took a big break came back and saw there was a ladder for gen 6 PH. From there well my progression just kept going. I felt really happy the first time topping that ladder. After a long period of time now between building more teams topping the ladder a few more times and helping in a lot of the resources between analysis VR and being RO of Oldshark (with great help from NtoTheN and Mbouchon) I can't say my job is done with Gen 6 PH nor will it be entirely be but the meta has become bit more stale for myself personally. I have fooled around with a few other metas like gen 1 ou or played a random game of this or that from time to time but ORAS ou seems to be what I set my eyes on. There are so many metas to pick from but I just went with my gut and said hey Gen 6 seems more in my direction of style. I seriously want to get gud at this metagame and I actually want to develop skills a lot of the matchups and long-term positioning seem extremely hard for me.
DIscord: UmbralBahamut

Last edited:

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Username: Jett
PS! Username: Jett
Signup Format: ORAS OU
Your timezone: GMT+1
Summer break so pretty free whenever.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):
I've competed in several ZUPLs and OM team tours to varying degrees of success, but find my value as a player usually comes more from building than playing. Looking to improve both my level and my consistency as a player while learning a new tier to hopefully rekindle some of my past passion in this game. Hoping to make some deeper runs in individuals in the future as well.
Yes, my tag is "jettrem".

Edit: returned 19 march 2024
Username: tankmonx
PS! Username:
- Powermaple
- Tankmonx
- Starfoxfalco
Signup Format: Gen 4 and Gen 3 OU
Your timezone: EST
- Monday All Day
- Wednesday All Day
- Friday all day
- Saturday all day
- Sunday all day
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Played for 6 years straight from summer 2014 (Gen 6) - 2020 (gen 7/early gen 8). Peaked 1500s in Gen 7 OU.
Yes

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Edit: returned march 19 2024
Username: awyp
PS! Username: awyp
Signup Format: SM OU / ORAS OU
Your timezone: -4 GMT
Usual Hours of Availability: After 4 PM - 10 PM weekdays and more free on weekend
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Current tutor in SV OU. Pretty comfortable with some gens but I took a 10 year hiatus and came back last year. I would like to boost my experience in SM OU. I ladder a bit, and played a few tours; but I would like a deep dive.
yes (awyp)

Last edited:
Username: mgdos16
PS! Username: mgdos16
Signup Format: ORAS / SM / SS
Your timezone: EST / GMT-5
Usual Hours of Availability :
most nights apart from when I have classes
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I have been playing on and off for a long time but only doing ladder. Started playing again when SV came out and started entering tours on smogon this year. I think I have an ok baseline of knowledge (1750 in cg ou, around 1500-1650s in all of ss-oras on ladder) want to get better at building & overall play specifically for smogon tournaments.
Are you able to use Discord?: mot5

Username: gregoisback_
Ps! Username: gregoisback_
Signup format: SS OU
Timezone: GMT -3
Availability: I can in the evening and in the afternoon
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon:
I don't have that much experience, I'm a new player in the competitive community and I wanted to know a little more
Discord: gregonomoney

Edit: returned march 19 2024
Username: HolaSoyBalto
PS! Username: Vento d'argento
Signup Format: SM OU
Your timezone: GMT -3
Usual Hours of Availability: 7 pm onwards, sundays 3 pm onwards.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing several years ago on SM Ubers with no intention of playing seriously competitively. Right now i'm focusing SV OU and NatDex for some tours im playing, but SM OU is really my favorite tier and I never managed to be consistent in it no matter how many hours I spent playing it. That is why I would like to receive tutoring in this tier.
Are you able to use Discord?: Yes, ventodargento.

Last edited:
Username: NotVeryCake
PS! Username: CakeConnesseur
Signup Format: RBY OU
Your timezone: GMT+0
Usual Hours of Availability: I am weekdays past 4PM. For weekends I am available most of the day aside from certain situational exeptions or extremely late times.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon: I started playing RBY OU on ladder around June 2022. I started playing playing in tours with RBY Majors I at the start of 2022, which I got to the I think the quarter finals of. I then played in the 2022 RBY Global Championships and made it to the quarter finals aswell. I played in RBYPL 2022 for PU and went 3-2. I feel as if I'm missing a certain something in my play I can't quite put my finger on, which is why I'm looking for help.
Are you able to use Discord?: Yes, .sandshrew_ on Discord

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
Username: StupidFlandrs48
PS! Username: StupidFlandrs48
Signup Format: GSC OU / ADV OU
Your timezone: PST (GMT -8)
Usual Hours of Availability: Anything besides Tue/Thu is usually good. However college is starting again next week so shit's gonna get weird
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): First tried Showdown in summer of 2022 as part of an informal tournament within a friend group. Didn't know what Smogon was at the time and neither did half of them. When SV came out I decided I didn't like the constant ebb and flow of CG so I've been learning various oldgen formats (and briefly VGC) for the last year. I feel like I've explored and enjoyed a million different things but I also tend to stagnate after a certain point in the learning process because of how often I bounce around (at least with OU formats), and it's made me scared of tournaments and unsure about what I want from the game going forward. ADV and GSC are my bedrock OU tiers that I come back to most often, and they're also my worst OUs if you go by pure ladder stats (although I try not to).
Are you able to use Discord?: Yes (stupidflandrs48)

Username: Waci
PS! Username: Waci
Signup Format: ORAS OU, SM OU
Your timezone: MST (GMT -7)
Usual Hours of Availability: Weekdays 2pm-8pm, Weekends 12PM-12AM (Both semi-flexible)
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing seriously post dlc2 SS and made my smogon with SV launch. I peaked 1700 on ladder in SS and 1800 in SV. After playing Masters I realized I'm never going to be able to reach my goals without help. I've struggled to learn non current gens to the level I want by myself so I feel like this would be my best option.
Are you able to use Discord?: Yes

Username: Pakawaka
PS! Username: Pakawaka
Signup Format: DPP OU
Usual Hours of Availability: anytime
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I wanna get better at DPP OU because its my favorite gen!
Yes!, #nintendofan2000

Username: zastra
PS! Username: zastra
Signup Format: ORAS OU or SM OU or SS OU
Your timezone: GMT+5.5
afternoons / evenings my time / all day sunday
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): om main. ndot main. involved in c&c kinda. edit: on 3 qc teams now including SV OU
Are you able to use Discord?: ye, zastra

Last edited:

Elvira

formerly bruised
Username: bruised
PS! Username: bruised thighs
Your timezone: EST or GMT-5
Usual Hours of Availability: 3-4 during Sundays through Thursdays or all day Fridays or Saturdays.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I am an old gen enthusiast whenever I am not partaking in monotype. Been around since Pokémon online days, joined showdown in 2013 to start my journey in learning new tiers and finding creativity in my building. I personally want to learn more DPP as I always love playing some old gen cartridge games from time to time and the nostalgia will always be loved.
Are you able to use Discord?: yes!

Username: Bedal Roscoe
PS! Username: Bedal Roscoe
Signup Format: RBY OU, ADV OU
Weekdays 7pm-12pm, and Weekends 4pm - 12pm.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokémon (min. 3 sentences):

I started seriously competitive Pokémon a few years ago in SS (and now SV) only on the ladder. I got bored of the SV meta and powercreep so last year I decided to seriously get into old gens instead, particularly RBY and ADV that I never played (and now fell in love with btw)
I consider myself a mid player but I decided to join my first smogon tournaments this year so I can really feel the taste of the competitive world and improve my level as a player. At the same time, I discovered the tutor section and find it a good opportunity to improve and step up as much as I can with good players. My aim is to be able to peak on the RBY or ADV ladder, performing well on indiv tours and one day be good enough to be drafted on a team tour.

Are you able to use Discord?: yes (I joined both RBY and ADV discord)

Cao Jie

formerly iKiQ
Username: Cao Jie
PS! Username: CaoJie
Signup Format: DPP OU/ADV OU
Your timezone: +1
Pretty much anytime my afternoons before 6pm, or evening/night after my 8pm
Playing on smogon since 2018, playing a lot of metagames starting with OMs, then RBY but kinda tired of it. Already played a few games in DPP/ADV in tournaments (especially for the smogon classic) and I also play in lowtiers in these gens. I would love to step up in any of these 2 OU to perform well during individuals and eventually be drafted during teamtours.
yea (caojie)

Username: Juseth Sepulveda
PS! Username: Juseth Sepulveda
Signup Format: ORAS SM SS
Your timezone: -4
Usual Hours of Availability: every day at any time
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):I have been playing since 2017, captain of the Venezuelan national team, I played RoaWcop last year, I went 2-1 in ORAS, I play ssnls every year, I was retired and I want to get back to those levels
Are you able to use Discord?: yes, Juseth Sepulveda

Username: Onraider
PS! Username: Onraider
Signup Format: GSC OU
Your timezone: +530
evenings/nights usually, but flexible
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Started playing showdown formats with ADV around a month ago, and got into gsc about 2 weeks ago cos i saw the ssnl signup was open and was interested, and in a couple of tours for gsc as well. Before playing showdown played competitive mons at a high level in a game called Pokemmo for about 2-3 years. Have a basic understanding about GSC from laddering/watching tour games/reading forums but would like to improve my knowledge with regards to positioning in a game and also especially with teambuilding.
Are you able to use Discord?: Yes(onraider)

Username: Blåhaj Blast
PS! Username: Blahaj Blast
Your timezone: GMT - 6
Usual Hours of Availability: All weekends. Weekdays: 10-13 and 14-16
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Started playing mid 2022 because i had a lot of free time away from home. I'm pretty competitive and enjoy the process of getting better at something. I think i have a very good grasp on the meta and i love teambuilding, but i find it difficult to improve at playing.
Are you able to use Discord?: yes, i'm hologramburrito

Username: puck.42
PS! Username: mixniite
Signup Format: BW OU/ ORAS OU
Your timezone: GMT +3
Weekdays: 6pm-7pm and 9pm. Weekends: Saturday 3pm-6pm and Sunday5pm-8pm
I've been playing competitively since 2020 because of lockdown and loads of free time. I started with BW OU but soon came to love ORAS OU and started playing it in 2021. I love competitive pokemon especially battling but my teambuilding could use a lot of work since most of the time i just change sets on already established teams. I think I have a pretty good grasp on the meta despite taking a really long hiatus in 2022 until ~mid 2023. I want to reach really deep levels of metagame knowledge especially in ORAS since its a tier I love to death.
yes, i'm mixnite

Username: Triple Axel Blaze
PS! Username: Triple Axel Blaze/ Rambo on waist.
Signup Format: BW OU
Your timezone: GMT -0
Usual Hours of Availability: Evening My time and Weekends
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I am a new BW player that only started a few months ago. I have topped ladder multiple times but when it comes to tour play I'm bad. Want to make spl. Currently one platinum challenge away from completing all the bw ladder challenges.
Are you able to use Discord?: Yes, cow3492 on discord.
Edit:Jisoo has already agreed to tutor me

Last edited:
Username: Silexius
PS! Username: Silexius
Signup Format: BW OU
Your timezone: GMT +0
Usual Hours of Availability: Evening everyday and Weekends apart from Tuesday and sometimes Wednesday
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I have been playing bw for less than a yr now and I find it fun to play but have got out of shape after not playing for quite a few months. I have played less than 5 tour games and play ladder once in a while. However I do not really understand the teambuilding aspect of touring and some archetypes of teams.
Are you able to use Discord?: Yes, I am Silexius.

gastlies

running up that hill
is a Pre-Contributor
Username: gastlies
PS! Username: gastalies
Signup Format: GSC OU
Your timezone: GMT-4
For the next two weeks I am quite flexible. Starting in April, I'm free between 1:00PM and 6:00PM on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, after 4:00PM on Tuesdays, and after 1:00PM on Thursdays. I'm also generally free on Saturday morning/afternoon, and all day on Sundays. All times -4.
I'm an RBY main who's played RBY for about three years at this point. I have decent results such as third place in the most recent Summer Seasonal, and making top 16 in circuit two years in a row. However, I don't really have a lot of experience with other generations. I have some friends in the GSC community so I think it would be fun to learn it as a new generation of OU, and expand my pokemon skills beyond RBY.
Yup!

RudeLiees

formerly Xr Kartana
Username: Xr Kartana
PS! Username: Xr_Kartana
Signup Format: gen 7 ou
Your timezone: + 1
Usual Hours of Availability: every evening except Wednesday
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): one of my favorite gen, tried to play it competitively, but I struggle at 1300-1400, I want improve my team building skills and playing better
Are you able to use Discord?: no

Username: Illouri
PS! Username: Illouri
Signup Format: Sun and Moon OU
Your timezone: GTM +7
Usual Hours of Availability: 8:30 to 3:30 (my hours can be shaky though)
I created my first PS! account in April of 2020, and I started playing Gen 7 OU and Ubers and Gen 8 OU. I started to hate Gen 8 OU though so I switched to Gen 8 ND and I've stuck with that ever since. Though I'm somewhat involved with National Dex, I'm not very good at Gen 7 and want to learn how to play the tier successfully so I can become fundamentally better at competitive Pokemon as a whole.
Are you able to use Discord?: No

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)