All-Time Favourite Albums

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If - Mindless Self Indulgence.
you're joking right

anyway, in order of first listened to:

fancy ultrafresh - freezepop - A solid synthpop album from top to bottom. Incredibly catchy.

Elephant - The White Stripes - i admitted to liking the white stripes in public, further justification of my taste would be futile

Give Up - The Postal Service - Probably one of the top 5 indie albums ever made. There just isn't a single bad track and everything on here is a joy to listen to.

Bang Bang Rock and Roll - Art Brut - I like a lot of British indie rock, but this takes the cake. Just a bit punk.

Favourite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys - i just like the arctic monkeys shut up

Narrow Stairs - Death Cab For Cutie - i probably would like plans better, but narrow stairs i have on vinyl and for a time i just played it on loop. the best melancholy music i can find

Fantasy Black Channel - Late of the Pier - First listened and thought they were yet another "RIYL Klaxons" band, but they're great in their own right. Whitesnake is incredibly catchy and one of my favorite new rave songs.

The Suburbs - Arcade Fire - Probably too recent but whatever I can't stop

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel - any list of best indie albums ever cannot fail to include neutral milk hotel

Surfing the Void - Klaxons - HAVE YOU NOT HEARD THIS YET

Red-Eyed Soul - World / Inferno Friendship Society - Each track leads perfectly into the next. Not the best W/IFS songs alone, but I think it's the best as an album. A lot of good content here.

I'm gonna make a list when I have more time with one hundred entries, I think.

The Clash was maybe the most important punk band of all time excepting the Breeders
I can definitely respect saying that The Breeders might be better than The Clash. They are, after all, a very good band. However, while not altogether wrong, the claim that The Breeders are more important than The Clash is very...well, strange.

Good to see a lot of my planned entries getting a lot of love.

It's strange, really. I make best-of lists based on years and decades all the time, but I haven't sat down and made a best-of list for all time in a very long while. It's always fun to do, but it's a very daunting task. Part of the problem comes from the differences in what people think an album should be. How forgivable is a less-than-exhilarating track? Does track order matter, and how much? Are bonus points awarded for influence?

I've always said that an ideal length for an album is eleven tracks in forty five minutes, and a lot of my favorites exhibit that formula, but some of my very favorites deviate, and I suppose that's what makes them special. In the end, I feel that the quality of an album should be based on the quality and impact of the experience as the play count extends toward infinity.

I've been an album man for a long time now, and something sets them above individual songs. Songs elicit feeling, but albums more often evolve into full and rich experiences.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I dunno if that's a good or bad comment
I haven't found anything of value from MSI once you get past the "shock factor" novelty of the lyrics. Basically the only people I talk to that are fans of it seem to like it because the lyrics are edgy and blunt. Once that gets old or wears off, there's not much music to be had in their tracks.

As for the punk debate; The Clash was by far more important than The Breeders.

I haven't found anything of value from MSI once you get past the "shock factor" novelty of the lyrics. Basically the only people I talk to that are fans of it seem to like it because the lyrics are edgy and blunt. Once that gets old or wears off, there's not much music to be had in their tracks.
They surprise me. I like that. :B I find their music catchy, but, whatever you say.

I'll add Pictures and a more detailed explanation why later. But for now:

5. Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies. An EP? More like the best EP ever released. Such calm, passionate, powerful, and moving music. We'll miss you Layne.

4. Nirvana - In Utero. A Great way for Nirvana to finish off. I wish they had more, but I'm a sucker for them, and this is my favorite from them.

3. System of a Down - Mezmerize and Hypnotize. Easily the best Double Albums I've ever listened to. A great chance in the way they wrote their music, and all around amazing songs.

2. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium - Details Later.

1. Alice in Chains - Alice in Chains - Details Later.

I'll add Pictures and a more detailed explanation why later. But for now:

5. Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies. An EP? More like the best EP ever released. Such calm, passionate, powerful, and moving music. We'll miss you Layne.

4. Nirvana - In Utero. A Great way for Nirvana to finish off. I wish they had more, but I'm a sucker for them, and this is my favorite from them.

3. System of a Down - Mezmerize and Hypnotize. Easily the best Double Albums I've ever listened to. A great chance in the way they wrote their music, and all around amazing songs.

2. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium - Details Later.

1. Alice in Chains - Alice in Chains - Details Later.
Eh. . .well, Jar of Flies is my favorite on the list. I disagree though about it being the best EP. The Mercyful Fate EP is my favorite EP. Nirvana bores me to death, and In Utero is their worst album in my opinion. I don't like System of a Down and I really haven't heard too much from the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Anyway, this is how I rank the stuff.

Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies 4/5
Alice in Chains - Alice in Chains 3.5/5
Nirvana - In Utero 2.5/5

They surprise me. I like that. :B I find their music catchy, but, whatever you say.
I like bands that surprise me musically, not by talking about their impeccable fornication skills. That being said, my favourite albums would be something like... (In no particular order)

HORSE the Band - The Mechanical Hand
What really got me into HORSE the Band wasn't their OMG NINTENDOCORE aesthetic, but instead the sheer awesomeness of songs like A Million Exploding Suns and The Black Hole. Catchy, angry, and just... all out extreme. HORSE is perhaps at their most accessible in this album, with incredibly smooth keys that almost dominate this albums entire sound.

HORSE the Band - Desperate Living

HORSE the Band's newest album, Desperate Living, is just as catchy as The Mechanical Hand, if not catchier. Not to mention darker, heavier and more technical, with better production too. With less in-your-face, but more emotional synth's, it occasionally lacks the extremity of The Mechanical Hand, but when it's extreme, my god it's extreme.

The Age of Rockets - Hannah
I first stumbled upon The Age of Rockets when Deschain made a post linking to a song from their first album, and while The Drive Home is still great, the addition of a couple of band-mates and more orchestration in the music adds alot to the songwriting, resulting in an overall better album.

Between the Buried and Me - Colors
Admittedly I haven't listened to this as much as I should have, but every time I slap on Colors I am completely consumed by the music. From Tommy Rogers wraith-like inhale's to his angelic clears, the guy is an amazing vocalist. Combined that with the insane work from every other member of the band, and sporadic, yet somehow cohesive songwriting, and you've got a pretty massive album.

Enter Shikari - Common Dreads
While I have to admit, I like the atmospheric, destructive uh... flavor of their first album more, Common Dreads features overall better songwriting. With far more varied electronics and heavier guitar riffs and the same extremely catchy choruses that were featured on their first album. The whole album flows together incredibly as well, as did their first.

Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life
I'm a sucker for some pop-punk, and as far as that goes, Motion City Soundtrack is as good as they come, with an absolutely incredible vocalist, catchy, witty lyrics, and solid instrumentals all around, and of course their synth's, something MCS seems to pull off better than any other pop-punk band. My Dinosaur Life is probably their best record since Commit This to Memory... not that Even if it Kills Me was bad.

Motion City Soundtrack - Commit this to Memory
Commit THIS to memory! Sounds like some kind of lame comeback, anyway, what Commit this to Memory lacks in energy and technicality compared to My Dinosaur Life, it makes up for with sheer emotion and an almost somber tone that makes it one of the most touching pop-punk albums I've ever heard. While all other pop-punk bands are trying to make you feel bad for them, none of them are quite as convincing.

Protest the Hero - Kezia
I could not make a top album list without this, though I haven't listened to much Protest the Hero lately, or in quite a while, I can't deny this bands influence on me musically, extremely high energy, and maintaining a combination of accessibility and technicality in their unique brand of Progressive-metal and Hardcore-punk. One of the first bands I really got into that wasn't terrible. Their new album just doesn't have the same energy, too much metal not enough hardcore.

Say Anything - ...Is a Real Boy
With a name like Say Anything, you should be expecting one thing. Complete musical honesty, and that's really what Say Anything conveys. Simple pop-punk intricately woven into Indie-rock and Math-rock elements, without ever getting caught up in itself.

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Is it even worth explaining? This album either hits you or it doesn't. It hit me pretty hard.

Honorable mentions/Things that could likely end up being top 10 (Without listing an artist twice):

Copeland - In Motion
Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice
Architecture in Helsinki - Places Like This
Four Year Strong - Rise or Die Trying
Fun. - Aim and Ignite

There are alot of things that could easily climb their ways up that aren't even in the Honorable Mentions, some really good releases this year actually that I'm just hesitant to list in case they have no lasting value. u__u

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)