All-Time Favourite Albums

i like you. :toast:

i'll try and flesh out a top five, but fuck guys...this is going to be excruciatingly difficult. -.-
Yeah it is hard aye haha,
so many more bands i want to add in there.
I might just add pictures, that will make me feel better :P

I'll stick in a few honorable mentions too:

Fortress - Protest the Hero

I don't really like the singing in this album so much as I simply love the guitar playing in nearly every song. The guitarist here is undeniably really good and the main riffs are fantastic. Sequoia Throne and Palms Read are definitely the two best on this album.

Bedlam in Goliath - The Mars Volta

The only band that gets two albums here, The Mars Volta is easily one of the best bands in existence. I don't know what to say other than they are simply an incredible band.

Rubberneck - The Toadies

While most of this album is mediocre, there's one song in particular that sets this album apart from nearly every alternative rock album ever recorded. In total, it's probably my most listened to song of all time. Hopefully you know it, it's called Possum Kingdom. It never gets old. Ever.

An Ocean Between Us - As I Lay Dying

Great metal album, with fantastic songs such as Nothing Left, Within Destruction, and most notably, The Sound of Truth.

Blackwater Park is better than Ghost Reveries though.

Anathema - Judgement
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element Part 1

At this moment in time.

But it will be different tomorrow.
cool list, i like pain of salvation aye, reminds me of pirates for some reason

Pink Floyd
Gnarls Barkley
Rhapsody (aka Rhapsody of Fire)
ZZ Top
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Going to cop out and just list my favorite from each of these bands:

Yes I love Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon and Animals. I just love The Wall more :)

I honestly was expecting just a mediocre follow-up to the excellent St. Elsewhere. Needless to say my expectations were greatly exceeded.

\m/

With a great song like Balinese being the worst track, you know you've got something special.

Willy and the Poor Boys is a very close second.

I'm bored atm, so here's a few of my runner ups:

Alice In Chains - Dirt

Perhaps the most metal grunge album of all time, and better for it imo. The vocals are out of this world, and the music backing it up is awesome as well. I know most people prefer Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden, but for me AIC is where it's at.

The Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

Probably the most haunting I've listened to. Some of the lyrics from this album are down right disturbing. Still, they pull it all off perfectly and there's never a dull moment.

Beck - Midnight Vultures

Not as revered as Odelay, and not as introspective as Sea Change, but this is easily his most fun album. And not many people will ever make an album this fun.

Radiohead - Ok Computer

Because every top album list needs something by Radiohead. I'm constantly arguing over whether or not I like this or Kid A more, but I generally lean toward this. Also, Paranoid Android and Karma Police are possibly the best songs they've ever done.

liars - drum's not dead
billy bragg - back to basics
ex models - zoo psychology
the gaslight anthem - sink or swim
clouddead - clouddead
i'm actually going to expand/fix this now that i have more time

in no particular order, and i can't do 5 so i'm doing 10

Liars - Drum's Not Dead

liars is a band i honestly hated for quite awhile, but then upon actually giving them a chance, fell in love with. this album is phenominal. great, atmospheric music with a really tribal feel to it. stylistically quite different from their other albums, and though i love concept albums about witches, i think this is better than 'they were wrong so we drowned'. their self-titled album is great too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwhiXr7Xr_Y is just beautiful.

Billy Bragg - Back to Basics

i don't know where i'd be with billy bragg. i grew up with this guy and fell in love with everything he's ever done. he's a british folk singer from the 80s who favours the electric guitar and sings some damned wonderful ballads. powerful love songs, empowering political songs, and an iconic voice. most likely my favourite artist of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwU4zCEJtY

i saw two shooting stars last night
i wished on them, but they were only satellites
is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
i wish i wish i wish you'd care

get all of his albums. seriously get them all now.

Ex Models - Zoo Psychology

holy fuck this album blew my mind. out of control from beginning to end, the most warped and funky songs about fucking you'll ever hear. from 2003, it's extremely ahead of its time. much more exciting than their first album, there's something i prefer about it over their third album as well, though that might just be because i heard this one first!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K61Paua48yc

The Gaslight Anthem - Sink or Swim

life-changing album right here. they took everything i loved about against me! and threw in even more soul, and i got hooked. one of the few bands whose newfound mainstream success i'm actually happy about, as they're still producing great albums. get this album, get the 59 sound, rediscover music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL8lBPtpmP8

the best live recording of any song i've ever seen without question.

Against Me! - The Disco Before The Breakdown

this band changed my life more than any other band. tom gabel's voice gave me direction. i made a thread about against me! a couple years ago so i'll try to dig it up. you listen to albums like this and then wonder how the fuck their latest album even exists.

this is the purest form of music i've ever heard. slightly more accessible than their older albums due to the introduction of electric guitar and whatever else, but still perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7sZpebvcFw

i know they're going to laugh at us when they see us out together holding hands like this
they wouldn't understand it if we told them all the reasons
not that i think this deserves any kind of explanation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47v8Cz1w_u8

with your thought in mind
i walk the streets down to the shores
and i sink into the pacific

candidate for my favourite song of all time, no question.

Against Me! - Crime as Forgiven by Against Me!

one of the earliest releases by AM!, close to ten years ago, back when it was just tom gabel on acoustic guitar and a drummer. the addition of a drummer was a good thing, but i still love the even older stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKLiO_AUKTc

this song reminds me of going to their shows years ago and knowing that in that big, crowded room, every single person will scream their fucking lungs out to every single lyric of every single song, and that it was where i belonged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBGgRioaRGk&feature=related

the second incarnation of this song, and in my opinion, the best. the video is wrong, this is the crime version, the vivada vis version is the first version and is much, much rougher.

Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary

i can't kid myself, this is one of my favourite albums if only because 'i'll believe in anything' is one of the best songs i've ever heard, and still sends shivers down my spine more than three years later. both the vocalists are extremely talented but krug's voice is just so fucking weird and haunting that it stands out like no other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZgwW-RzD30

give me your eyes
i need sunshine

The Books - Lost and Safe

the books revolutionized music for me. this was the first album by them that i heard, and it's probably also their most accessible, since it actually has vocals in it. it's a cellist and a guitarist making sweet atmospheric music with lots of creepy/funny/sad samples from a wide variety of sources. i think i like this album more than 'the lemon of pink' due to it being a bit more electronica-oriented, but it's still a very close call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xPN1LExu3k&feature=related

you are something that the whole world is doing

this album does just as well as background music as it does when you give it your full attention, and that's something that makes the books as a band really stand out.

The Futureheads - The Futureheads

i remember seeing this band a good four years ago when they played with hot hot heat (i didnt even like hot hot heat then, i think i went because a really hot girl invited me) and i nearly shit myself at how good their live stuff was. i'm a sucker for multiple vocalists, and this album is so peppy and wonderful, it never ceases to put a smile on my face. apparently they're (or were, i dunno) pretty big in britain, confirm/deny british smogoners! they didn't make much of a splash over here unfortunately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkQertCoxl0

sweet live recording of the song man ray, song starts at like 0:35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amh8V-MopUI

cover of a kate bush song. i like it more than the original i think, but kate bush is the queen of melodrama so i'm not entirely sure!!

Why? - Elephant Eyelash

i am confident that i liked why/clouddead/anticon. in general much before everyone else on this forum did -____-

i like this album more than alopecia, straight up. im not gonna dissect the album/band cause now everybody loves yoni UGH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbDqN0qYbk4

rubber traits rules and this video is fucking excellent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUHw3mYQYTg&feature=related

our faces reflected in seperate windshields
and all our body hair pricked up; an elephant eyelash

edit: and if i could do 11 the 11th would be noah's ark by cocorosie!!!

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The reason people say their old stuff is better is because it is. Death Magnetic is uninspired and overlong. It hasn't necessarily to do with the fact that the albums are older, but simply with the fact that in Metallica's case, even the best album since the Black Album is nothing more than mediocre.

Idk, I can't say I hate Death Magnetic as much as most people do. I can agree that most of the songs are overlong, and really only 3 tracks stick out in my mind. Those being All Nightmare Long(easily one of my favorite songs by them) The Judas Kiss, and Suicide and Redemption. Imo it's a slightly above average metal album, though it's certainly a stretch to call it a great one.

Altmer

The only Metallica albums I like are Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and ...and Justice for All.

I am kinda done with my Metallica/Iron Maiden period of metal.

Altmer

Yeah but the old songs were better songs, and didn't feature useless riffs that didn't go anywhere, sounded recycled, or just had plain useless sections. Metallica used to be such awesome songwriters. I wish James still riffed like it was 1989. :(

By overlong, I don't mean the song has to be actually long to be good or anything. There are good long songs. But long songs are annoying when half of it is bullshit.

And how exactly is it a new step? The only thing they've done is taken Master of Puppets, filter it through the plod of the s/t and slowed it down just enough for it to have no sort of impact at all.

It reminded me more of AJFA honestly. But whatever, let's not turn this whole topic into a Metallica discussion. I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned Loveless in this topic yet, it seems to be a staple of most "best album" threads.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I find Loveless to be completely overrated. It has somehow fallen into favor over the years and become a staple of shoegaze rock, but I find it mostly boring and unimpressive outside of "Sometimes." Slowdive, for me, will always be the standard for shoegaze.

As for Metallica, anything post 1980s from them is pretty much uninspired garbage. (Yes, even the Black Album... bores me to tears.) It's no secret that everything began going straight downhill once Burton died, and even though Newstead became the new soul of the band he couldn't stop the rest of them from writing shitty licks.

Altmer

i suppose so but I like MBV still

also really digging that devil and god album by brand new, the archers bows have broken is so insanely good

in fact I like a lot of pop-punk stuff such as Paramore, Taking Back Sunday, Funeral for a Friend, Fall Out Boy etc

mfzb by Zebrahead
Everything goes numb by Streetlight Manifesto
Somewhere in the Between by Streetlight Manifesto
Sisters of the Red Death by Vendetta Red

Altmer, check out Zebrahead. They are the kings of pop punk.

I always mean to listen to Brand New, but for some reason never get around to it. I'll try them out now and get back to you guys.

A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, News of the World, and just about every single Queen album.
The Wall.
Dark Side of the Moon.
The Number of the Beast.
Metallica's The Black Album.
Ride the Lightning.
Countdown to Extinction.
Master of Puppets.

5. Disturbed - The Sickness or Believe Disturbed is an awesome hard rock/ nu metal band. David Draiman has a great and powerful voice. Dan Donegan is the best guitarist in the world, but he knows how to lay down some awesome rifts. The Bass + Drums adds to the hard rockin' experience. 10,000 Fists and Indestructable are really good to, but the Sickness and Believe are my favorites.
4. Atreyu - The Curse This is hands downs Atreyu's best album. The screamer knows how to create a brutal atmosphere while the drummer's melodic voice leaves you in awe. The only instrument player really worth mentioning is their lead guitarist, but thats pretty much it.
3. Breaking Benjamin - We Are Not Alone This is mainly my favorite because it has "So Cold" on it, which is my all time favorite Breaking Benjamin song. Ben has a great voice and the instruments behind him really compliment it to make a real melodic hard rock sound.
2. Nightwish - Oceanborn This album is pure epic power metal, and in my opinion is probably Nightwish's best album overall. I love all of their albums, and my favorite song isn't even on this album, but the whole thing just flows together SO well. I could just lay down somewhere and listen to the entire album and be completely content. Annette and Marco are great in the "new" Nightwish, but Tarja's voice will always be epic
1. Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper Children of Bodom is my absolute favorite bands, and I think they are one of the most talented bands in heavy metal. All of their albums are awesome and show off their instrumental talent, but i feel like this one does it the best. Alexi Laiho is one of the best metal guitarists out there (IMO) and Janne Wirman is a crazy keyboardist that can be epic one moment and shredding the next. I like to listen to all of their albums, but I never get tired of this one.

Sorry that was so long winded :P I really like my music lol

1. Radiohead - Ok Computer
This basically goes without saying.

2. Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me
I LOVE THIS ALBUM!

3. At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command
Hardcore as fuck and very ground breaking

4.Thrice - Vheissu
classic

5. Glassjaw-Worship and Tribute
:):):)

Honorable Mentions
1. Radiohead - Kid A, The Bends, In Rainbows
2. Brand New - Deja Entendu
3. Thrice - Alchemy Index 3 and 4
4. Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam, Merriweather Post Pavillion
5. Pixies - Doolittle
6. Black Moth Super Rainbow - Dandelion Gum
7. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
8. The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium
9. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
10. Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Went Numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)