All-Time Favourite Albums

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i hate how that awesome nightwish album is stuck in between shit bands (ok he still has the correct cob album but uhhh)

i've always prefered Deja Entendu over Devil and God are Raging Inside Me.

don't get me wrong, it's a good album, but when it first came out EVERYONE was heralding it as the best record ever or some shit, and that just pissed me off, because it isn't that good.

but hey, whatever strokes your goat.

Altmer

i've always prefered Deja Entendu over Devil and God are Raging Inside Me.

don't get me wrong, it's a good album, but when it first came out EVERYONE was heralding it as the best record ever or some shit, and that just pissed me off, because it isn't that good.

but hey, whatever strokes your goat.
i like both about equally actually

Altmer

"'cause I can dish it out but I can't take it"

also I think either Scenes from a Memory or Images and Words should be in my list but idk for what, maybe the PoS album? not sure.

I honestly don't see what you guys see in "Aeroplane Over The Sea".
The whole thing is a turn-off for me, sans one or two songs

Images and words - Dream Theater
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Tool - Undertow

There aren't many CDs I can put on and just listen through from start to finish at any given time, but these were the first ones that came to mind

The Gaslight Anthem - Sink or Swim

life-changing album right here. they took everything i loved about against me! and threw in even more soul, and i got hooked. one of the few bands whose newfound mainstream success i'm actually happy about, as they're still producing great albums. get this album, get the 59 sound, rediscover music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL8lBPtpmP8

the best live recording of any song i've ever seen without question.
!
Gaslight were always a sleeping giant kind of band, like one day i would wake up and they would be everywhere.

This album is life changing, and would top my list. Even though 59 sound came on shuffle during the most poetic time of my life, i still appreciate this album a lot more

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I honestly don't see what you guys see in "Aeroplane Over The Sea".
The whole thing is a turn-off for me, sans one or two songs
I didn't get it at first either, I thought it was strange and quirky but aside from "O Comely" I wasn't really affected. But once I burned it to a CD and listened to it in my car and actually enveloped myself in the music I was changed forever. There are just so many little nuances, his voice carries so much emotion... love it.

agreeing 100% with dm, its the emotion in songs like two headed boy that get me, though i think o comely is one of the weakest trakcs on the album, if not the weakest

Beautiful Midnight by Matt Good Band
Before These Crowded Streets by Dave Matthew Band
Abbey Road by the Beatles
Organs for Sale by The Human Soundtrack
Rage Against the Machine (self-titled)
Weezer's Green Album

If I was stranded on an island with one album in my hand,It would have to be pink floyed's dark side of the moon.
Most meaningful album ever, philosophically

i'll throw my hat into the ring here... take it or leave it here we go folks

Honourable mentions:
Nine Inch Nails- The Fragile
Fatboy Slim- You've Come A Long Way, Baby
FC Kahuna- Machine Says Yes
Pendulum- Hold Your Colour
Muse- Absolution
Radiohead- OK Computer
Queens of the Stone Age- Era Vulgaris
Talking Heads- Remain In Light

a great group all around... i love basically a wide array of music in a lot of different styles and this kinda reflects that in that a) i'm pretty psycho and b) i like shit that is weird.
reflected in the following choices.

Nitzerebb- Showtime

fantastic album. i've my mom to thank for this one, in that it really started to expose me to the techno/alternative/industrial scene, which really was the foundation of basically my entire musical taste to date.

and i like shit you can dance or have sex to. this satisfies both.

Interpol- Antics

turn on the bright lights's overlooked brother. yes, it sounds ridiculously mainstream at first listen, but if you can kind of pry your way under the tracks and listen to them really heavily, looking for emotion, seemingly out of place tracks like narc and take you on a cruise become increasingly meaningful.

The Velvet Underground- The Velvet Underground & Nico

i have nothing to say about this one except that it is fucking amazing. heroin is my ringtone.

John Coltrane- Blue Train

what? a jazz album? yes, and it's an amazing jazz album, all five beautiful tracks.

Radiohead- TIE: Amnesiac/Hail to the Thief.

two beautiful albums that i just could not decide between.
amnesiac, which gives off the perfect mixture of tinkering between radiohead's past and future, with a massive array of instruments, the classics i might be wrong, knives out, and pyramid song, i could go on for days.
hail to the thief, the protesting, angry message to the american people and its government, which i find a work of art in itself; i played go to sleep while riding pirates of the caribbean once. it went together beautifully.

Beatles - Revolver

Personally, My Favorite Beatles Album and for good reason. "Tomorrow Never Knows" "Taxman" and "Eleanor Rigby" are some of the Obvious Highlights

Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

Story: Awesome. "The Camper Velourium" Triolgy is amazing. "The Light & the Glass/2113" has to be my favorite Coheed song.

Keiichi Suzuki, Hirokazu Tanaka - "EarthBound Zero" MOTHER soundtrack

Try to listen to "Eight Melodies" and not get flashback of this amazing game.

The Fall of Troy - Phantom on the Horizon

The Epic Ghostship Chapters are filled with eerie sounds and frantic wails. Oh yeah, theyre might be crazy guitar solos too.

NOFX - The Decline

If the Ramones and the Sex Pistols help create punk rock, then NOFX perfected it to what it is today and who doesn't love a lil political satire in their punk rock epic?

Pain - Wonderful Beef

Before you get started , yes you have heard of them before. Mix punk rock rhythms, with some horn melodies, and fast paced lyrics about stuff like masturbation, and a story of a 7 inch cowboy and you got yourself one hell of a album.

Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire

One of the most influential bands to come out in the last centry, RATM lets their voices be heard. "Snakecharmer" is actully how the band describes Tom Morello. Pretty actuate

Rx Bandits - ...And the Battle Begun

Going from Third wave ska, to progressive rock, with countless minor subgenre's would be tough for any band. But RX bandits change so seamlessly, it really is a sight to see

Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb

A little mix of indie, latin, and ska into a concoction only guitarist Tomas Kalnoky can provide. Streetlight Manifesto can, and will kick your ass from here to Bombay.

Sublime - Sublime

Theres a lot more to Sublime then you guys are probably thinking. This album, IMHO solidified the 90's, and even more so, solidified SoCal. An amazing piece that unfortunately Guitarist Bradley Nowell couldnt live to see rise to the top. R.I.P

Hm this is hard because my taste fluctuates so much within the music I have, but I'll list a few personal favourites in no particular order.

Late Tool is just so good. Lateralus is just such a good complete album and I could never get sick of listening to it, it's amazing. Also packs my favourite song ever (Reflection). 10,000 Days is a bit more like early Tool imo in that it has songs which I both like and find average, but in 10,000 Days's case the good songs are very very good and the average songs are still quite good. Wings For Marie/10,000 Days and Rosetta Stoned are what makes this album so good.

Oh god such a good album, definitely Nightwish's best imo. Such a good variation of what Nightwish do best, and it's pretty much why Tarja will always be better than Annette. Dark Chest of Wonders is a killer way to open an album, and then you get into the variation of goodness like Planet Hell to The Siren to Ghost Love Score to Higher Than Hope, and most of the songs sound very powerful to me.

The Fragile is a very good representation of what Trent Reznor is capable of, and it mixes the typical rage NIN with the beautiful instrumentals Trent can make, with a bit of middleground throughout. La Mer is simply magnificent, Ripe (With Decay) has one of the most powerful moods I have ever felt from a song, Somewhat Damaged is probably the best rage NIN song out there... I could go on. The only song I actually genuinely dislike on this album is Starfuckers, Inc. but it's still bearable at times.

Brilliant albums, not much more needs to be said really. Radiohead at their best.

As an overall album, I really think Wahrheit oder Pflicht is OOMPH!'s best by a long way. It's the one which sounds most complete as it doesn't have any distinct let down songs. Tausend neue Lügen and Du spielst Gott are a couple of kick ass songs, and the rest of the album is not quite as solid but still very good. Unrein, however, is my favourite album for some reason. It has a few let down songs, and sounds kinda sameish to an extent after a while, but it's still so damn good. Gekreuzigt and Meine Wunden are clearly the best songs here, and by a long way I might add, but the rest of them are still very solid. Also, in terms of intro songs, not many beat Mutters Schoss.

Honestly:

Modest Mouse - Moon and Antartica

Modest Mouse - Good news for people who like bad news

Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West

Modest Mouse - Long Drive

Beatles - Sarent Pepper's lonely Hearts Club Band

Back in sophomore and junior year of high school I went through serious depression. I basically never left the house and just listened to those modest mouse records on repeat for hours everyday. No other albums have the same meaning to me. Also I like the beatles.

i never did post a list.

i really don't think i can do albums unless i make restrictions to follow.

like one per artist of my top 5 or something...

ill just post my all-time favorite because I find lists gut-wrenching to make

he finally validated himself as a man and artist with this album and that fact alone makes it beautiful to me...

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
dont know why i never posted itt

Honourables:
Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose
The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I
of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary

Five:

Arcade Fire - Funeral

this album is fairly self explanitory, pretty much universally loved by all kinds of music lovers. the pure passion felt in Win Butlers yelps truly makes you feel his pain, but the album manages to remain somewhat upbeat, if not soaring at times, while keeping with the whole "funeral" theme. a masterpiece.

Highlight Track: Wake Up
We're just a million little gods causing rainstorms
Turning every good thing to rust

Four:

Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On

I believe this is the epitome of Built to Spill, and of 90s emo/indie whatever. The melodies on this album are fabulous, Martsch's vocals are excellent and this album to me just oozes of :cool:

Highlight Track: Kicked it in the Sun
We're special in other ways
Ways our mothers appreciate

Three:

Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights

To me everything about this album is perfect, every note perfectly hit, every drum beat in perfect flow. The guitars weave in and out of each other, Paul Banks is often haunting and each track leads into each other perfectly.

However, despite all that it takes more than perfection to beat the two albums ahead of this, as they do more than simply perfect a genre of music, they pretty much delve into their own unique world of awesome that is pretty hard to articulate.

Highlight Track: Obstacle 1
It's in the way that she walks, her heaven is never enough
She puts the weights in my heart
She puts the, she puts the weights into my little heart

Two:

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People

What happens when 20+ scenesters collaborate and put all their music talents and ideas onto one record? The best record this side of 2000. Every track brings something new to the table, whether it be the pulsating indie anthem Cause = Time, the intertwined dual vocals of Almost Crimes, the cafe jam that is Pacific Theme, the exploding percussion of KC Accidental, or simply the haunting/chilling/there is no adjective to describe voice of Emily Haines on Anthems For A Seventeen Year Old Girl. The Scene probably will never reach this level of greatness ever again, as many of the members are off doing their own little thing, but Kevin Drew and Co. will forever have this gem to commemorate what happens when friendship meets art.

Highlight Track: Anthems For A Seventeen Year Old Girl
Park that car, drop that phone
Sleep on the floor, dream about me

One:

Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West

There are two types of people in this world. Those who hate modest mouse, and those who want to bear Isaac Brock's children. I am in the latter category. It is pretty hard to just "kind of like" modest mouse (float on notwithstanding). Brock's genius either slams you in the face so hard it will be like you have never heard music before or you will just hear his voice and immediately change the song.

Unparalleled lyrics that question everything from religion to humanity to drugs with imagery and metaphor that is just retarded at some points, it is hard to even comprehend. Couple this with some fucking awesome drums, a sound rawer than any other album I have ever heard (yes, including pavement) and you have yourself one for the ages.

Highlight Track(s): Teeth Like God's Shoeshine, Bankrupt On Selling, Styrofoam Boots

Well, some guy comes in looking a bit
Like everyone I ever seen
He moves just like Crisco disco
Breath 100% Listerine
He says looking at something else
But directing everything to me
"Every time anyone gets on their knees to pray
Well, it makes my telephone ring
And I'll be damned"
He said, "You were right
No one's running this whole thing"
He had a theory, too
He said that God takes care of himself
God takes care of himself
And you of you

-Styrofoam Boots

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
5. Slowdive - Souvlaki

the cotton candy of music. fluffy clouds in a drug-induced dream.

4. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

soft, chilled out ambient techno. distances itself a long way from its brainless dance club predecessors. aphex twin's music is vivid and dreamlike at times, perfect for atmospherics.

3. Talking Heads - Remain in Light

i honestly can't think of a band with a more convincing and well-placed vocalist than talking heads. tropical, funky, paranoid, quirky new wave that makes everyone want to get up and dance.

2. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

an interesting band with a unique sound and guitars that go from melodic to screaming and noisy in seconds.

1. Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun

this has been my favorite work of metal for years, and is one of the few albums in the genre that i can return to. it transcends rock and becomes more like ambient or classical with rock instruments. behind the walls of distorted guitars are weaving, sweeping melodies. truly a beacon of light in a dying genre.

ten honorable mentions:

Television - Marquee Moon
Pixies - Doolittle
Autechre - Incunabula
Cocteau Twins - Treasure
Talking Heads - Talking Heads: '77
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Klaus Schulze - X
Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun
Antonio Vivaldi - The Four Seasons (Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields / Marriner; Loveday)
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
i love saw II, but i am more familiar with 85-92. i think it has a more lucid feel as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)