2010 music

BIG loven

Not so little anymore
Got man on the moon II and was a bit disappointed. Not as good as his first album but I still enjoyed it I guess. The only other rap album that I could compare it to is Encore by Eminem.

Latest finds are Mekong Delta, thanks deschain :) thats some great prog thrash metal and solar scream which is some awsome dark prog rock/metal.

So the clean version of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West leaked, and outside of the 2 bangers the album had (Monster & So Appalled) sounding off because of the sensoring, it's absolutely spectacular. I can't believe he went from 808's to this.

Also, Jay-Z's verse on Monster was pretty bad by his standards, felt I should point that out.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is AMAZING... Damn. I still have the iTunes explicit version of Monster, cause the censored version that leaked sucks. Every track is smash after smash! Except "So Appalled"; I don't think that song deserved to be on the album...

Body Talk Pt. 3 also leaked, and it's pretty great too. Much more poppy than the first two installments, but Robyn still keeps it fresh. "Stars 4-Ever" is the perfect closing song to the Body Talk trilogy.

Currently Listening To:
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West
Body Talk Pt. 3 - Robyn
Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager - Kid Cudi

Upcoming:
Utada Hikaru Singles Collection, Vol. 2 - Utada Hikaru
Ride or Die - HEARTSREVOLUTION
[TBA] - Brown Eyed Girls

what I've listened to:
2010 Diamond:
Crystal Castles (II) - Crystal Castles
Treats - Sleigh Bells
/\/\ /\ Y /\ - M.I.A.

2010 Gold:
Universe - Koda Kumi
Omni - Minus the Bear
Contra - Vampire Weekend
Sir Lucious Left Foot - Big Boi
Body Talk, Pt. 1 - Robyn
Body Talk, Pt. 2 - Robyn
Acoustic EP - Lights
Hurricane Venus - BoA
Narsha - Narsha
Step 2/4 - Ga-In

2010 Silver:
Rock 'n' Roll Circus - Ayumi Hamasaki
The ArchAndroid - Janelle Monae
The Family Jewels - Marina & the Diamonds
Forget - Twin Shadow
King Night - Salem

2010 Bronze:
Causers of This - Toro y Moi
Lazers Never Die EP - Major Lazer
Lazerproof - Major Lazer & La Roux
Flesh Tone - Kelis
Stridulum EP - Zola Jesus

2010 "Meh":
Congratulations - MGMT
Forgiveness Rock Record - Broken Social Scene
Teenage Dream - Katy Perry

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Dawn of Ashes's new album Genocide Chapters is really good. I'm seeing them live with Dimmu Borgir on Friday.

downloaded body talk, gonna buy fantasy in a week or so when it drops cus im a lovely, moral person. excitement :D

also tyler the creators mixtape i mentioned earlier is awesome!

Explicit version of Dark Twisted Fantasy is leaked now. This album is amazing... And there will be bonus tracks on the the deluxe version (Chain Heavy is the only pseudo-confirmed song) so there is something to still look forward to on the 22nd (As well as finally having the CD to blare in my car B) ).

holy shit.

just listened to the new Reign of Kindo and it's really fucking good.

piano-driven poppy jazz rock.

infectious.

i have way too much to talk about with kanye so i'll just post my entire god damn review when i'm done tomorrow

body talk almost feels like nothing at all because i've been living with all but four of these songs for the past few months, that said it's still a fantastic album and overall technically better than the first two so i'm trying to figure out how on earth to deal with it on my year-end list

the second disc of high violet brings the version of "terrible love" that they should have cut, and oh my wow

gonna get on that congotronics re-imagination comp

all i'll say right now is that "lost in the world" (include "who will survive in america") is like

the best kanye song bar "gone"

maybe

it's definitely up there

Just started listening to J. Cole's new mixtape Friday Night Lights which is available free somewhere (just google it). Someone recommended that I listen to, I haven't heard any of his stuff before.

Oh and GOOD Friday track this weekend is Chain Heavy... Which is amazing.

Though they center thematically on the college years, Kanye West’s undeniably classic albums, The College Dropout and Late Registration, make their marks appealing to our inner children. Ignoring the obvious giveaways (one opener is Kanye’s response to a demand to do a song for the kids, the other is an innocent hip hop lullaby), what constantly makes them is Kanye’s childlike conviction. Whether Kanye is telling his mama how much he loves her, fantasizing about buying a spaceship, or (how cute) touching the sky, he does everything with a smile. As a result, The College Dropout topped Rolling Stone’s list of best albums of the year and, more importantly, Village Voice’s Pazz and Jop critics’ poll. In 2005, Late Registration did both of those things. With all of that under his belt, why does it sound so strange to call Kanye West a genius today?

Well, first of all, Kanye West’s label as an egomaniac has been prominent since “Gold Digger” was number one on Billboard. Such accusations are ridiculous, though not because of any sort of falsehood, but because expecting a hip-hop musician, an occupation that uses the boast as one of its main tools, to not be self-interested is maniacal. West actually addressed those problems before they arose. On the second song of his first album, he lets on “we all self conscious, I’m just the first to admit it.” What was probably worse was when he was labeled a douchebag. Making his fourth album an experiment with pitch correction, a mechanism that would soon be mainstream pop’s biggest punch line and crashing two awards show acceptance speeches (boy, who cares?) did little to help him escape the phrase. In South Park, Kanye West is depicted as a delusional gangster who fails to understand what everyone is laughing at.

Despite Trey Parker’s and Matt Stone’s usual understanding of pop culture, their ignorance of the situation is given away the second they depict West as an ultraviolent super thug. What is more relevant, though, is the West is one of the most self-aware musicians, let alone chart-topping rappers, still working today. The man is much less of a douchebag than an eccentric weirdo. I mean damn, the man finished Late Registration with an Otis Redding sample and then laced Graduation’s lead single with a Daft Punk sample. Even with his less appreciated albums, he helped to shape the industry. Graduation focused hip hop on pretty, goofy electronica, and 808’s And Heartbreak seems to have shied the entire world away from auto-tune. With his career in its adolescence, Kanye West lost the childlike spark and then the gleeful presence that made his first two albums so enjoyable. Even considering slight missteps, Kanye West made four albums that might as well have been called The Shape Of Hip Hop To Come.

On Kanye West’s best song, “Gone,” he boasts “I’m ahead of my time, sometimes years out.” That has always been true, but it has never been as immediately apparent as it is on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. With the bizarre “that one doesn’t count” 808’s splitting the two, Fantasy seems to exist on a different plane entirely than 2007’s Graduation, which was an electronically obsessed celebration of success. Like Graduation, Fantasy numbers fewer tracks than most rap albums and is (oh thank heavens) skitless. Format-wise, Fantasy plays a lot like Graduation, but thematically, West weirdly decides to revisit 808’s. Fantasy is introspective, bizarre, and spirited.

Maybe 808’s seems so relevant is because “Runaway” is practically a response to it. On 808’s, West hid his poor singing ability behind the technology at his disposal, but on “Runaway,” he pulls a move similar to Eminem’s “Hailie’s Song” and tries to sing for a moment. Who cares if his vocal abilities are nothing to be admired? His performance backed by single notes on the piano sounds sincere and frank, and that matters when the song’s purpose is to deliver an apology to the woman he called “heartless” on his last album. On the chorus, West even self-deprecates, calling himself a “douchebag,” an “asshole,” and a “jerk-off” in a celebration of how the bad people in your life wind up positively developing who you are. He pokes further fun at his past near the end of the song, when he murmurs into a vocoder for a few minutes. He denounces the past and celebrates his flaws on “Runaway.” Traces of it remained on Graduation, but on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, West’s childlike excitement is entirely gone. In its places is a refreshing, relieving maturity. That is a rare process for musicians to successfully undergo.

One has to wonder what West is trying to do with this one. Each song is strange in its own special way, but nothing demonstrates the album’s constant shifts like the jump from “All Of The Lights” to “Monster.” “All Of The Lights,” which features The-Dream, Elton John, John Legend, Fergie, and way too many more, begins with Rihanna in her element. Unlike her weak emotional bit in Eminem’s “Love The Way You Lie,” Rihanna works brilliantly cheerleading general badassery here (“Fast cars/Shooting stars/All of the lights”) much like she did on Jay-Z’s “Run This Town” (“Life’s a game, but it’s not fair/I broke the rules, so I don’t care”). Along with that and piano from Elton John, an unrelentingly staccato horn arrangement make the song West’s grandest-sounding ever. It sounds like West is shouting at a storm from the front tip of a warship. Hell, even when Fergie shows up and does an M.I.A. impression for whatever reason, she manages to be pretty tolerable. Then after “All Of The Lights,” Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon begins “Monster” by practically announcing that the song was made to contrast the previous one: “I shoot the lights out.” What follows are some weird-ass verses about being a monster. “Have you ever had sex with a pharaoh?/I put the pussy in a sarcophagus/Now she claiming I bruise her esophagus.” “Sasquatch, Godzilla, King Kong, Loch Ness/Goblin, ghoul, a zombie with no conscience.” “Okay, first things first, I’ll eat your brains/Then Imma start rocking gold teeth and fangs.” The song is an absolute oddity, and after an uncharacteristically nerdy verse by Jay-Z, newbie Nicki Minaj steals the entire song with her sheer presence. She seems to always be just holding back a scream, and she rhymes “Sri Lanka” with “Willy Wonka.” With this kind of variety, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is always messy, but never a mess.

Surprisingly, the best song on Kanye West’s new album is “Lost In The World,” a shocking re-imagination of Bon Iver’s “Woods.” After Justin Vernon sings the four lines that make up the backbone of the song three times, “Lost In The World” begins to explode and never stops. With its jungle beats, audio blasts, and general frantic state of being, “Lost In The World” is the sound of running across a minefield, and it is his best song bar only Late Registration’s “Gone.” Though I prefer Late Registration and The College Dropout, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is effectively as wonderful, and one should expect to see it commonly received as the best album of the year. In a moment of infectious confidence, ‘Ye raps “At the end of the day, god damn it, I’m killing this shit/I know damn well y’all feeling this shit.” The man knows greatness when he creates it.

link to it in my signature

i love you all

hollllly balls i saw sufjan stevens in boston on friday and it was NUTS. during impossible soul he came out wearing a wife beater, bandana, and baggy pink jeans for the call and response breakdown part and him and his back up dancers did a ridiculous dance routine while he sang in autotune, confetti shot out from the walls and hundreds of balloons were dropped from the ceiling onto the audience. it was bordering on a religious experience.

No one has mentioned it but I'm I'll post this just in case anyone is interested in... Nicki Minaj's debut album "Pink Friday" leaked tonight, and the official release is the 22nd.

I think she's kinda interesting, and Ye said that "Pink Friday" would be good so I decided why not and gave it a try ;) It's pretty cool actually. Interesting how on all the features she is on she is acting wacko and crazy etc but a lot of the album tracks are a bit more poppy and emotional, more singing a bit more "raw" in the sense.

Ra Ra Riot came to my school last thursday, so a few days before the concert I started listening to their new album The Orchard (I know its been out for a few months). Anyways there were literally 200 people max at this concert, and I was 5 feet from the stage, it was fucking awesome.

Looking Forward to the release of Tron Legacy with the soundtrack done by Daft Punk and all...Derezzed is released already and it was amazing!

Looking Forward to the release of Tron Legacy with the soundtrack done by Daft Punk and all...Derezzed is released already and it was amazing!
Have you checked out 'The Third Twin'? There's rumors flying around that it's an alternate identity made by Daft Punk to release songs that were rejected from the soundtrack. But ignoring that, it's pretty damn good no matter who it is.

I barely care about any new music coming out, as long as the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album will be good (assuming it will come out within a year -_-)

some good stuff I've listened to:

Anacrusis - Hindsight: Suffering Hour & Reason Revisited great thrash album, containing reworked material of their first two albums, but it is too long

Villagers - Becoming the Jackal indie/folk pop with great catchy melodies

Jamey Johnson - The Guitar Song country with progressive leanings; some excellent songs on here but it drags a bit towards the end

Lunatic Soul - Lunatic Soul II frontman from Riverside doing prog rock with more ambient; great although you need to be in the right mood to fully enjoy

Warpaint - The Fool psychedelic dream-pop which starts off fantastic (first four or five bass-driven songs rule), but gets worse as it goes.. the slower piano-driven ballads are boring

Electric Wizard - Black Masses stoner/doom gods with an album thats less immediate and heavy as their previous outings, relying on heavy psych instead; contains some killer songs (Satyr IX being the best)

Slough Feg - The Animal Spirits heavy metal band that can do no wrong; it isn't close to their magnum opus "Traveller", but everyone who likes heavy metal with awesome vocal harmonies and melody needs to check this out

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy didn't like The College Dropout and the singles from their last album were average, so this came out of nowhere.. its just so amazing.. Runaway is soothing

Underoath - Disambiguation first album by them and its great; I dig this style although its not really original

Taylor Swift - Speak Now I didn't expect this to be good at all.. its got some damn fine songs but there's not enough variety

Sun City Girls - Funeral Mariachi experimental band does folk and succeeds

thats it for last weeks stuff thats 3.5+

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Seconding what kellogs said, NEW GIRL TALK IS OUT!! I am really excited to listen, my slow as fuck internet is not helping

Can't stop / wont stop listening to Dark Twisted Fantasy (which is now the 4th album to be received a ~diamond~ rating from me ;D) and BT3. Legend of Mr. Rager as received no love, so it's "Shelved" for now lol. Added Nicki's debut, which all around I found to be fairly good. Pleasant surprise. Also J. Cole's mixtape, I've really warmed up to it and got some tracks on repeat. Good stuff.

Currently Listening To:
Body Talk Pt. 3 - Robyn
Pink Friday - Nicki Minaj
Friday Night Lights - J. Cole

2010 Ratings:
2010 Diamond:
Crystal Castles (II) - Crystal Castles
Treats - Sleigh Bells
/\/\ /\ Y /\ - M.I.A.

2010 Gold:
Universe - Koda Kumi
Omni - Minus the Bear
Contra - Vampire Weekend
Sir Lucious Left Foot - Big Boi
Body Talk, Pt. 1 - Robyn
Body Talk, Pt. 2 - Robyn
Acoustic EP - Lights
Hurricane Venus - BoA
Narsha - Narsha
Step 2/4 - Ga-In
Body Talk Pt. 3 - Robyn

2010 Silver:
Rock 'n' Roll Circus - Ayumi Hamasaki
The ArchAndroid - Janelle Monae
The Family Jewels - Marina & the Diamonds
Forget - Twin Shadow
King Night - Salem

2010 Bronze:
Causers of This - Toro y Moi
Lazers Never Die EP - Major Lazer
Lazerproof - Major Lazer & La Roux
Flesh Tone - Kelis
Stridulum EP - Zola Jesus

2010 "Meh":
Congratulations - MGMT
Forgiveness Rock Record - Broken Social Scene
Teenage Dream - Katy Perry

Kanye's new album is his best work to date. (I didn't think it was possible, Dropout and Registration were pretty amazing to start with.)

Nicki's new album kinda sucks tbh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)