2010 music

Ga-In's Step 2/4 is so surprisingly awesome... Her sensual voice coupled with that excellent latin productions. Wow. Been enjoying this the last few days haha.

Gonna start adding up some general ratings of the albums sometime.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Charakter is pretty epic. It's one person - Nocturnal Blood from All Metal Forums (if you're a member there like me, you'll know.) with a guest (also from AMF) on occasion. It's also ambient black metal.

If you ever want to have my children that's perfectly fine with me.

Actually, you can't have my children. Anyone who gives Funeral less than a 4.5 cannot have my children. ):

Jamey Johnson may very well crack open country music for me.
Other gateways: Lucinda Williams (Car Wheels On A Gravel Road), Drive-By Truckers (Decoration Day), Old 97's (Satellite Rides), John Prine (John Prine).

End of Q3 Lists

Songs

10. "Empty Room" - Arcade Fire
9. "Empire Ants (Featuring Little Dragon)" - Gorillaz
8. "I Want The World To Stop" - Belle And Sebastian
7. "Black Sheep" - Metric
6. "ONE" - Yeasayer
5. "A More Perfect Union" - Titus Andronicus
4. "Helicopter" - Deerhunter
3. "Terrible Love (Castle Rock Session)" - The National
2. "Out Go The Lights" - Spoon
1. "World Sick" - Broken Social Scene

Albums

10. Foxy Shazam - Foxy Shazam
9. The Suburbs - Arcade Fire
8. Body Talk (Pt. 1 and Pt. 2) - Robyn
7. Forgiveness Rock Record - Broken Social Scene
6. Everything In Between - No Age
5. Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son Of Chico Dusty - Big Boi
4. A Badly Broken Code - Dessa
3. The ArchAndroid (Suites II And III) - Janelle Monáe
2. High Violet - The National
1. The Monitor - Titus Andronicus

Unranked Honorable Mentions (chronological)

Transference - Spoon
Teen Dream - Beach House
There Is Love In You - Four Tet
Romance Is Boring - Los Campesinos!
Odd Blood - Yeasayer
Plastic Beach - Gorillaz
The Brutalist Bricks - Ted Leo And The Pharmacists
The Big To-Do - Drive-By Truckers
Blue Sky Noise - Circa Survive
Cosmogramma - Flying Lotus
This Is Happening - LCD Soundsystem
Before Today - Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
How I Got Over - The Roots
Light Chasers - Cloud Cult
Twistable Turnable Man: A Musical Tribute To Shel Silverstein - Various Artists
Lisbon - The Walkmen
Majesty Shredding - Superchunk
Halcyon Digest - Deerhunter

Charakter is pretty epic. It's one person - Nocturnal Blood from All Metal Forums (if you're a member there like me, you'll know.) with a guest (also from AMF) on occasion. It's also ambient black metal.
Was actually listening to this just a few minutes ago.

I like his EP. The full length is a bit tedious to get through.

If you ever want to have my children that's perfectly fine with me.

Actually, you can't have my children. Anyone who gives Funeral less than a 4.5 cannot have my children. ):
ahh yes.

one of the original bands to make this list.

i should update that thing sometime...

Turns out, the final installment of Robyn's Body Talk series is more of a collective of Pt. 1 and Pt. 2, and a couple of new tracks. Too bad there is no Pt. 3 with 8 new tracks again. Oh well 4 brand new tracks + mixed Indestructible is good enough! Cover art & tracklist below:

1. Fembot
2. Don't Fucking Tell What to Do
3. Dancing on My Own
4. Indestructible
5. Time Machine
6. Love Kills
7. Hang with Me
8. Call Your Girlfriend
9. None of Dem
10. We Dance to the Beat
11. U Should Know Better
12. Dancehall Queen
13. Get Myself Together
14. In My Eyes
15. Stars 4-Ever

friends, a few lesser-known recommendations from this year:

Gun Outfit -- Possession Sound

Angular riffs, catchy hooks, jangle -- if you are familiar with the band Grooms, I'd say they're really similar to this wonderful band. You've got two guitarists and a drummer, boy-girl vocals, a real garage-sloppy high-school American sound. Darkly tinted but intense and excited. Really check this out if you're a fan of good, honest, lo-fi rock. I'm not very good at describing music with words but here it is. "My Whole Life" is my favorite track.

Warpaint -- The Fool

Ethereal and dynamic, mellow melodic post-punk-psych poster girl sounds from this extremely datable band. Complex, shifting song structures, yearning lyrics, harmony. This soundtracks your melancholy fall. Check out "Composure" and "Baby."

Memoryhouse -- The Years EP

do u like the beach? do u like 'chillin' w/ ur 'bros' on the beach? do u like to relax? do you like relaxing music? seriously, get this. chillwave, if that means anything to you -- that means lots of synth, drowned-out vocals, drum machines, stuff like that. absolutely beautiful and nostalgia-birthing. get it for free from the source. gotta have that "to the lighthouse," what a delicious.

so i just wrote a huge ass review of luke abbott's holkham drones, an album i've been loving lately, as a piece of english coursework. posting because a) i spent hours on this and im pretty fucking proud of it and b) the album is amazing and everyone should download it

comes out just under a thousand words, and that one bit at the start i couldnt think of any other examples of bands who have made a breakthrough with a late-career album or something but maybe other people have ideas :x

ps trust me its good!!!!

English Language Coursework First Draft – Writing To Inform

Album Review

Luke Abbott – Holkham Drones

8.5/10

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

There’s something to say for persistence. It’s easy to forget, for example, that Animal Collective’s breakthrough Merriweather Post Pavillion last year was preceded by eight previous albums and a decade of experimentation. And let’s not forget about

Luke Abbott, however, is not a man who would know anything about this. Few artists come out of the gate with a sound so assured and fully formed as he has with his debut full-length, Holkham Drones.

That isn’t to say he hasn’t been around for long, though. Abbott’s musical trajectory has been steady but slow through the last four years, in which he has put out a handful of singles and EPs that have showcased a man with potential and a lot of talent, but who had yet to find his style and start making music that could live up to that potential. Holkham Drones is the sound of that potential, fully realized into a holistic electronic record that blends experimental electronic music like drone with soft, warm techno to create a sound unique to Abbott. A sound which is just as much at home in headphones as it is in a club, at once complex but danceable, warm but icy. In many ways, this is the perfect remedy to the slow creeping of winter, an album which perfectly encapsulates the changing of seasons in its feeling of constant movement, but at the same time just begs to be sat down with over a warm cup of tea and a cosy pair of slippers. In many ways then, it shares characteristics with another 2010 release from fellow Englishman Kieran Hebden (aka Four Tet), whose intriguing There Is Love In You entranced listeners with its organic, dance-inspired textures earlier this year. But where that album felt like the sound of earth and nature, Holkham Drones feels simultaneously like water and fire, it’s constant steady flow interspersed by spurts and crackles of watery synths and soft, warm beats. For every track that feels like it ought to be playing in some trippy, mutant dancefloor, there’s another which emphasizes careful thought and production, with white noise crackling quietly underneath a bed of arpegiatted chords.

Opener “2nd 5th heavy” is the perfect example of this. The track crackles into life as a simple synth line repeats itself hypnotically, and that underlying bed of white noise contracts and expands like the tide, moving slowly in and then back out again. The percussion builds steadily, and then more and more synths enter the mix. It’d be easy, at this point, to expect some sort of experimental, droney space odyssey for the remainder of the album’s roughly 70-minute duration, rather like Emerald’s Does It Look Like I’m Here? earlier in the year, an album that no astronaut should be without. So it’s a pleasant surprise when the rising synthy drone of “2nd 5th” segways into the stuttering beat of “Swansong”. As with all of Abbott’s music, however, it quickly becomes apparent that there is more going on underneath the surface as the track slowly unfurls and reveals its intricate textures before fading out with a simple, haunting synth melody.

These synth melodies are the heart and soul of Holkham Drones, but every track brings new textures and ideas to the table, displaying Abbott’s talent for keeping his music varied and interesting while maintaining his assured aesthetic. The evolution that each track seems to undergo as it slowly builds lends the whole album a feeling of evolution, as if it is growing and feeling its way into the world alongside the listener. It follows a very particular path, too, almost as if Abbott knew that his music would be the perfect soundtrack to gazing out of a backseat car window and planned it’s journey accordingly. The bubbling synths and crackling, fuzzy white noise of the start of the album seem a mile away from the electric bass, almost house-y synths and reverb that emerge from the centre of the album.

This midsection, comprised of the title track and “Trans-Forest Alignment” sit confidently right in the middle of the album. The synths that comprise the central hook of “Alignment” are enough to get any dancefloor jumping, but the rising vat of gurgling noise bubbling from underneath is enough to remind you what you’re listening to, and this contrast between the danceable and the experimental sits at the centre of everything that makes Holkham Drones appealing.

In keeping with this idea of careful sequencing, Abbott follows up a fascinating start to the album and a more danceable, pop-centric midsection with an absolute homerun of a final stretch. Starting with the dark, squelching stomp of “BaaInk”, Abbott takes the listener deep underground before throwing a curveball at them in the form of “Brazil”, a track which takes its cues from synth pop and more conventional dance music. The track begins with an up- tempo beat unlike anything the album has produced so far, before throwing in two bright, technicolour hooks. They seem to ring off each other as the track builds and builds, rising up through a thick veil of cloud into a new place entirely, shiny and glamorous. The follow up, “Soft Attacks” remains in this place, lathering itself in synth hooks and crisp techno beats. The track builds and swells to a euphoric six minute climax, all the while conjuring images of triumph, of victory, of clubs, speakers, and synthesisers.

“Soft Attacks” is something of a victory lap for Abbott, who by this point surely knows that this is his moment. The moment he finally steps out from the obscurity of his previous work and joins the likes of Caribou and Four Tet as one of the most fascinating artists making electronic music today. And rightfully so. Holkham Drones is a fascinatingly complex yet visceral experience that finds Abbott completely owning his sound, and in the process creating one the finest records 2010 has offered us so far.

Warpaint sounds interesting.

I know these albums aren't 2010, but I've been listening to HEALTH's studio albums HEALTH and Get Color. HEALTH is really cool, and Get Color is just awesome. Gonna check out Disco2 (Since I'll try to keep this relevant and go with their only 2010 release lol)... USA Boys is really, really cool. Kinda like if Crystal Castles and them had a baby.

EDIT: I need a bigger iPod... 8GB just isn't enough anymore.

alright then deschain, while you check out luke abbott ive been checking out the glitch mob and dude

i wasnt quite sure how i felt about it at first because i was getting some nu-metal vibes from bits of it which reminds me of the awful awful music i was listening to 5 years ago, plus i saw they remixed linkin park on their wikipedia page and i was kinda like eurgghg

but putting that aside and taking it at face value, it's pretty amazing stuff. even though its cliche to say, theres definitely lots of different genres im hearing here. sounds in places kind of like the trip-hop stuff of flying lotus meets huge anthemic house music, and it's the kind of music i can imagine blowing your mind at a live show. parts of drink the sea just make me go "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh" all open mouthed

man, this really reminds me how much i really love music like this which i can barely even understand on first listen. i feel like at this point what with all the media praise and how much ive listened to it, cosmogramma has lost alot of the mystery it had when i first heard it and just couldnt comprehend it at all. so yeah, thanks for the reccommendation bro, let me know how you feel about holkham drones :)

I felt the Exact same way about the glitch mob. Blew my mind and not just figuratively.

Heard the new bongripper and didn't relly like it as much as I should have. But will give it another chance.

weve finally got the tracklist for my beautiful dark twisted fantasy, and its pretty interesting:

01 Dark Fantasy
02 Gorgeous (ft. Kid Cudi and Raekwon)
03 POWER
04 All of the Lights
05 Monster (ft. Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj and Bon Iver)
06 So Appalled (ft. Jay-Z, Pusha T, CyHi the Prynce, Swizz Beatz, and RZA)
07 Devil in a New Dress
08 Runaway (ft. Pusha T)
09 Hell of a Life
10 Blame Game (ft. John Legend and Pusha T)
11 Lost in the World
12 See Me Now

surprised it was only 12 tracks, a couple more good friday tracks def deserved to be there like good friday and christitan dior denim flow, but maybe itll make it feel more focused. also hopefully power is the remix version.

also just finished watching the film and it was pretty good, got me excited about to music more than it was actually interesting itself (though there were a few great images and scenes). no matter how many times he tweets about "his art", he's never going to be much of an actor though, there were like 2 scenes where he tried to act and they were both pretty bad lol

i have been digging the new glitch mob as well.
new kaki king is pretty good.
zach hill rules. face tat is really impressive.
he also kicks ass on marnie stern's new self-titled album. i dunno if it's better than her last one but i do really love it.

p.s. really wish the new kanye album was still called good ass job

Crystal Castles are doing to be releasing Not in Love as their next single! The catch? It's a new version featuring the vocalist from The Cure. IMO, this version is better than the original. B-sides on the single / tracklist of the EP (whatever the fuck it would be called) include acoustic versions of Celestica and Suffocation (hell...yes!) as well as another track, that has yet to be named. Comes out Dec. 6th. (Source = NME and some other site I read a few days ago)

Yet another release to look forward to this year... Excellent! 2010 rules.

There hasn't been too much that has interested me lately besides Jamey Johnson's fucking awesome double LP.

Other than that, Sufjan Steven's new album is notable but I wasn't really impressed by it.

Fuck I hope OOMPH! get their new album out soon. Although if they don't by the end of this year it'll mean 2011 will be even more kickass than it already looks to be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)