2010 music

right so having spent the last couple months getting to know it and all the classics, i now feel qualified to talk about new stuff thats good in the world of dubstep/grime, if anyone cares:

first of all, the most important thing is probably darkstar's north, which came out this past week. darkstar are (or were) one of the most excting newcomers in the dubstep/grime world over the last couple years with a bunch of fucking amazing singles, but their debut album is a total left turn into really beautiful, melancholic synth-heavy music which isnt easily classified. at a stretch you could put it under the umbrella of post-dubstep with people like james blake, but this should appeal to everyone here for sure. whenever i listen to north, it just melds into this huge, beautiful, 40-minute warm mess of dubby beats, pianos, strings, and synths. it's one of those albums you can just listen to front to back, over and over again. up there with the years best for me.

the post-dubstep train rolls on with girl unit's wut ep. this is another one that's getting a shit ton of attention right now. alot of people are calling the title track track of the year and all this stuff, but all 3 tracks are pretty mindblowing. this thing is just absolutely huge, taking cues from house music and using just massive, massive synth lines, sampled air horns and all kinds of crazy shit to make 18 minutes of music that punches you straight in the gut, but wraps it around vocal samples that do some really interesting things in a way similar to james blake and his two eps this year. highly recommended!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

darkstar showed the benefits of evolving their sound with north, and i feel like that is definitely important with this kind of music, because alot of dubstep and grime full lengths feel too long and full of filler, and a classic example of this is ikonikas debut album, contact, love, want, have.

her track "please" is def one of the dubstep classics i mentioned earlier, but this full length is just samey and uninteresting for the most part. shame :/

JME is one of the few grime mcs i really like, and im listening to his new album blam! at the moment, and im kind of dissapointed.hes always stood out to me because hes just a fucking hilarious, down to earth guy, and his music is the same: smart, funny, and with none of the pointless agression and dickhead posturing that is most grime. it's also way accessible to people who like hip-hop and want to get to know what the uk equivalent is like. i absolutely fucking recommend anyone who likes hip-hop to check out his first album famous?, and to check out some out a couple youtube videos of him on westwood's radio show: link

this second one, at least one first impression, seems alot less unique. the beats are better and the lyrics are more impressive technically, but theres alot less of the humour or character. guy still raps about playing street fighter 2 on the snes though, so that should still give you an idea of what to expect.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

jamie xx, the producer/non singing member of the xx also came out with a single more in the vain of chilled out, tropical-tinged dubstep which uses steel drums to create a great atmosphere. definitely another one of the years best tracks, and it really makes you realize just how much the xx actually owe to dubstep in their sound, it's just that guitar and bass which pulls it into the realm of indie music.
(and i totally bought that album for 7 quid in hmv the other day. i like the fact theyre getting really popular here in the uk, totally deserved)

also really enjoying the glitch mob's drink the sea like i said earlier in the thread, which takes cues from dubstep even if it isnt strictly dubstep (it isnt strictly anything).

and again, reso's reso in da mix is a mindblowing mix which takes the back catalogue of one of dubsteps most important labels/distributors (z audio) and turns it into a HUGE, cohesive fucking beast of a mix that is an absolute perfect introduction to the genre. listening to this earlier in the year just made me super fucking excited to delve into this new genre and made me excited about discovering music in a way i havent since i learbed to appreciate hip-hop. go download this srsly.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

and thatll just about do it for 2010 things worth talking about. outside of dubstep/grime, i've started to listen to sleigh bells treats again and am falling in love with it again, new brian eno album was interesting but didnt hold my attention for long, and diamond rings' special affections, despite getting a fair bit of praise around the internet, just totally bored me. uninteresting, drum-machine centric indie pop. bleh.

gonna lsiten to salems king knight soon, and looking forward to the new girls ep. also kanye. not much in 2011 im bothered about so far, hoping new go! team album is as good as thunder lightning strike but probably wont be...iono

emancipator

(not sure if this is strickly for this thread, being 2010 but...)

I've recently been getting into Emancipator. I would describe their style as kind of electronic modern-classical. For me, it's very clear to see the pure emotion in their tunes, even without any lyrics. Emancipator have a song for every mood, and I recomend trying them out.

I've got a few youtube links: (Not exactly sure about the file sharing on Smogon, so I'll go with the safe option.)

anthem
Lionheart
Nevergreen

Emancipator's music is just beautiful to me, it never fails to cheer me up or help me think. I'm not an eccentric, I love pop and rock, but I'd strongly suggest this music to anyone.

BIG loven

Not so little anymore
So stoked for new Kid Cudi, Come around sundown by kings of leon wasn't that bad either. And we continue to wait for Detox ._.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
high five swan dive nose dive. they are kinda typical british new wave indie but still enjoyable. if you like them then future of the left, danananakroyd, johnny foreigner are all up your street too

Gonna listen to The Bad Wife. :O

Taylor Swift's new album is pretty solid, but Jamey Johnson's work is still easily the best country album of this year.

halfway through If You Go Away i pre-ordered the album. <3

revisited Nekrasov: Perishable Things just now, and FUCK it's awesome. viscerally offensive to the senses. it's what it would sound like if Merzbow or Whitehouse made a black metal album. fucking fuck.

listening to Structures: All of the Above for the first time in a while, and i must say...it's great. really looking forward to a full length from these blokes.

new listening today included Adramalech: Winter Almanac, which is pretty great atmospheric depressive black metal stuff. did like.

Julie Christmas's album is pretty cool. Didn't blow my mind though. >:

Gonna have to listen to No Age's new album tommorow.

This local band that my cousin plays bass and does backing vocals for released an album back in... may I think? It's pretty awesome, and they've got it streaming for free so if anyone's interested

Cold Craving - Beacons

Post-hardcore/hardcore-punk/ambient

/angry

The vocals are kind of nasally but they work well with the music. *shrug*

Is anybody planning on catching Sufjan Stevens on his current tour? I'm seeing him in Boston next week sososososososososososo fucking pumped.

I don't know how many people here listen to 90s hip hop, but on October 26th Celph Titled and Buckwild dropped an album called Nineteen Ninety Now, which is Celph Titled rapping over previously unused beats he made in the Nineties. All the hip-hop sites I frequent have given it rave reviews so... yeah.

Two Door Cinema Club are an amazing new band from Ireland. Not your average Brit indie pop band, with their edgy guitar riffs and lyrics that'll be stuck in your head all day long.

I finally got Death Angel's Relentless Retribution. It kicks ass.
I didn't like it, to be honest. I think they've been on a downward spiral since Act III.
Heathen's album is much better if you want 2010 thrash. I've heard good things about Forbidden's Omega Wave, too.

That new World's End Girlfriend album called Seven Idiots is pretty fucking amazing. I think it topped Cosmogramma as my album of the year already.

Random updates...

Robyn:
The compilation Body Talk is being released with 5 songs from Pt. 1 and Pt. 2, and then 5 new songs.
She's also releasing the 5 new songs as an EP / mini LP under Body Talk Pt. 3.

Kanye:
Rumors of 4 addition bonus tracks => Chain Heavy ft. MIA, Pure ft. Mr. Hudson, Power [Remix], and Mama's Boyfriends.
Devil in a New Dress will be 7min long.
Video for Monster is in the works.
GOOD Fridays will extended into January.

everything in that post is fantastic news, wishy :D

ive stopped following the good friday tracks the last couple weeks tho. take one for the team kinda turned me off them because it was pretty terrible :/

on the subject of hip-hop, i seriously fucking hope theres some chance of a proper madvillainy sequel this year. seems less and less likely every day tho :/

currently listening to everything doom has ever done that i havent heard, and vaudevile villain has become easily one of my favourite contemporary hip hop albums ever over the last couple weeks. fucking mind blowing, and kind of reflects poorly on madvillainy. madlibs jazzy beats are definitely more interesting than some of the more spare beats on vaudeville villain, but dooms rhymes on vaudeville are so ridiculous i find it hard to take it all in sometimes. man. especially compared to the slower, more drawly flow he has on madvillainy. it's kind of hard to return to that after vaudeville.

and to hear doom take on the role of this slick hustler type character but filter it through his own typical, weird, referential rhymes is just soo good.

also looking forward to checking out some of the stuff coming out of odd future after everything thats been written about them last couple of months. sounds interesting, and imma download tyler the creators mixtape bastard asap. im following the guy on twitter and hes pretty hilarious:

"Room Service Is Amazing! To Bad I Can't Order Dignity. At Least They Have Steak. Yeah......Steak. Say The Word Steak To Yourself. It's Funny"

"Bye London. I Loved You. Thanks Caius And Everyone Else. Off To NY. Gonna Jack Off On This Plane."

"what the fuck. i have hair growing on my arm? WHAT THE FUCK?!?! but niggas dont be done with puberty till like 21. but damn this is weird"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)