Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

Just run priority and adequate speed control for the current meta #gigachaid. Honestly though it is what it is adapt and STFU jajaja. Happy new years.

it's not like there's a move called Freeze Powder. If you get frozen on multiple mons, then you deserve to lose. Not in a skill sense, but just... don't get unlucky?
i have no idea why more people don't just do this. seriously, why is it that even in high-level play people are getting frozen, paralyzed, crit, etc when they could very easily just choose to not get haxed instead? it's like no one knows how to outplay the rng anymore

(this is sarcasm, by the way. not that i need to point that out, because everyone on the internet is absolutely incredible at recognizing sarcasm and there's no way anyone could possibly misinterpret this post as being serious)

I might be a gambling addict, but gosh darn does Hypnosis Darkrai feel so good. Passively having Nightmare really makes the crappy accuracy worth it. I have eaten so many Ting-Lu’s over the past week just whittling down the behemoth with Oce Beams and Bad Dreams. You just steal games sometimes because of how good putting something to sleep with Darkrai is, and Darkrai naturally causes many switch out opportunities that it somewhat makes up for the 60% Accuracy. Been having a blast, glad it was brought down, but it’s definitely dumb and uncompetitive.
lol I remember playing the hatterene hypnosis mind games in one of my matches. It was so nerve racking as I decided whether to switch in hatterene or not.

Don't ban kyurem literally the only good ice type in the meta just ban freeze or implement frostbite lmfao this is so stupid
Ignoring that we have weavile and pseudo have meowscarada, kyurem aint broken because of freeze. People just can't admit that sometimes you get unlucky and then mald because of it. Just get good /jk.

"this is so stupid" as opposed to... literally modding the game...? some people will say anything before being pro-ban
People were literally saying that in Gen 6 Aegislash didn't actually hit that hard. Like bruh, people are so dumb sometimes.

Ignoring that we have weavile and pseudo have meowscarada, kyurem aint broken because of freeze. People just can't admit that sometimes you get unlucky and then mald because of it. Just get good /jk.

People were literally saying that in Gen 6 Aegislash didn't actually hit that hard. Like bruh, people are so dumb sometimes.
Aegislash has the same SpAtk as Hoopa, and that thing's in NU! Aegislash is therefore ZU at best

Happy new years to my favorite discussion group, I hope everyone has a fantastic 2024, that being said

Freeze Clause should be implemented in SV OU, Kyurem is shitting up the meta and there's 1 viable Pokémon with Heal Bell. I think this needs to be a serious conversation.
This man is absolutely right. Why do past gens get the LUXURY of not having to worry about Freeze while current gens do?
Not like “oh Smogon needs to be cart accurate” since Sleep Clause exists as is.

This man is absolutely right. Why do past gens get the LUXURY of not having to worry about Freeze while current gens do?
I mean, kyurem is no way the reason we should even consider freeze clause. I don't even believe in it because what use would it have? How many times are you frozen in a match? Two times if your extremely unlucky. Sleep clause is active so something sleep powder or spore isn't spammed, those are moves that are accurate/semi-accurate at applying sleep. Nothing can do that with freeze. If something like that did come around, we could talk, but that move would most likely be banned.

Dude awyp I respect you and your work a lot, man. But freeze being talked about as a problem? If freeze is such a problem, you got 4 decent options baring Magma Armor to handle this.

- Use Garganacl
- Use Covert Cloak
- Use an Ice type
- BAN KYUREM ALTOGETHER

All but banning Kyurem has somewhat of a drawback, but its a fairly modest solution. Also you can just like, kill the Kyurem before it can freeze has you... But what do I know? I'm just a stranger :3

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Dude awyp I respect you and your work a lot, man. But freeze being talked about as a problem? If freeze is such a problem, you got 4 decent options baring Magma Armor to handle this.

- Use Garganacl
- Use Covert Cloak
- Use an Ice type
- BAN KYUREM ALTOGETHER

All but banning Kyurem has somewhat of a drawback, but its a fairly modest solution. Also you can just like, kill the Kyurem before it can freeze has you... But what do I know? I'm just a stranger :3

1. Garg doesn't fit in all structures
2. Using Covert Cloak majority of the time seems like a waste of an item especially in this Gholdengo meta where boots are ultra valuable.
3. Ice Types in OU: Kyurem, Weavile, Ninetales-Alola (Tera Ice is a bad defensive Tera)
4. Totally fine with banning Kyurem but in a scenario we don't this should definitely be looked at.

happy new years mattc :)

tbf freeze clause is a thing from stadium and is only a thing in gens 1 and 2 (and might not even be a thing in gen 2 on stadium)

- Use Covert Cloak
Turd2 ass take lmao. Covert Cock is a good item that you never actually want to run because that means you're either using sash h-zoro and gholdengo together (in which case it's the best item at bluffing what you currently have in) or there's a genuine problem in your format and something needs to GO

1. Garg doesn't fit in all structures
2. Using Covert Cloak majority of the time seems like a waste of an item especially in this Gholdengo meta where boots are ultra valuable.
3. Ice Types in OU: Kyurem, Weavile, Ninetales-Alola (Tera Ice is a bad defensive Tera)
4. Totally fine with banning Kyurem but in a scenario we don't this should definitely be looked at.

happy new years mattc :)
❌️ Covert Cloak
✅️ Cope Cloak

that was about changing Freeze to Frostbite, which implies modding the game, and this change imo would make it worse

- Use Garganacl
- Use Covert Cloak
- Use an Ice type
- BAN KYUREM ALTOGETHER

another option is running a sun team (which just so happens to be one of the best archetypes in the meta) because sun prevents freeze from happening. it's a fascinating little interaction that nobody remembers exists because
FREEZE

IS NOT

A PROBLEM

Last edited: