Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
are there really any practical applications for running dragon breath? fickle beam has a higher power, the same proc chance, and its secondary effect is to straight-up remove the opponent from the game instead of just breaking their ankles and calling it a day
Fickle Beam is better overall, but in case for some reason you run into a mu where you can’t break. I.E. Unaware Clod or Corv, Dragon Breath could be nice to let Hydrapple fish for para’s and gives it additional utility.

Now, I have no idea whats going to end up happening (or if these are actually going to be done or if these tiershifts will occur as normal), but I had a funny thought. So, after every DLC, there have been quickdrops, and everyone knows how those works. But my point is, if something gets barely used, then it can drop multiple tiers.
So...
Who's ready for Lando-T in RU?
There's a very real posibility this happens, because think about it:
  • Lando was barely hanging on last month
  • DLC Dropped
  • New Toy Syndrome and a plethora of threats (also Kyruem)
To be honest I'm thinking Pex in RU is more likely, as there are things that are pretty hostile to Toxapex even in UU, even if Pex finds a place down there.

If this happens it would be the one of the biggest falls from grace a Pokemon has had due to direct nerfs

Hey y'all remember me? Probably not. I used to post a decent amount in the DLC 1 OU forum. I kinda stopped playing OU like 3 days before Deoxys Speed got kicked (unironically the best decision I made all year). What is the tier like? Just need a small reminder of the metagame state

Hey y'all remember me? Probably not. I used to post a decent amount in the DLC 1 OU forum. I kinda stopped playing OU like 3 days before Deoxys Speed got kicked (unironically the best decision I made all year). What is the tier like? Just need a small reminder of the metagame state
Tier's fine, could be much better (please remove gambit and gholdengo) but the tier is currently fine

Volcanion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
Thoughts? I feel like volcanion is great into both sun and rain teams and I've been using it myself on my own rain team to alright success.

Agreed, we need the removal of :Gholdengo: and :Kingambit:, and definitely of :Deoxys-Speed:, get that thing out of here please
as much as I enjoy tricking random things choice band with deoxys-speed, he does need to go. Gholdengo needs to gholdengo away, kingambit should have been banned before DLC1, and a bunch of shit that was unbanned also needs to go. please god get rid of roaring moon

Volcanion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
Thoughts? I feel like volcanion is great into both sun and rain teams and I've been using it myself on my own rain team to alright success.
rain and sun both dont rely on Fire, Water, Ice, or (once Tera'd) Fighting or Dragon moves, some rain teams have :Archaludon: who straight up beats this chipped :Volcanion: set under the Rain with Electro Shot+Flash Cannon
EDIT 1: :Archaludon: also outspeeds :Volcanion: naturally by 15 points of base speed, do not try

rain and sun both dont rely on Fire, Water, Ice, or (once Tera'd) Fighting or Dragon moves, some rain teams have :Archaludon: who straight up beats this chipped :Volcanion: set under the Rain with Electro Shot+Flash Cannon
EDIT 1: :Archaludon: also outspeeds :Volcanion: naturally by 15 points of base speed, do not try
Well, the flamethrower is to do more damage under sun and archaludon can't really switch in against volcanion due to fearing earth power, which does 54-65% to assault vest variants. I've found that it's like iron hands, it can at the very least trade itself for another mon, potentially two. Although this isn't the best, I still think it's underrated.

Well, the flamethrower is to do more damage under sun and archaludon can't really switch in against volcanion due to fearing earth power, which does 54-65% to assault vest variants. I've found that it's like iron hands, it can at the very least trade itself for another mon, potentially two. Although this isn't the best, I still think it's underrated.
1704067561634.png
\
combined with higher natural speed, Archaludon can take that hit well. The Volcanion has max Special Attack EVs, with a Modest Nature.
1704067664051.png

with stellar Tera, a set I occasionally use, and Tera :Water: negates the Fire Neutrality and Ground weakness
1704068145948.png

Last edited:
View attachment 585818\
combined with higher natural speed, Archaludon can take that hit well. The Volcanion has max Special Attack EVs, with a Modest Nature.
View attachment 585819
with stellar Tera, a set I occasionally use
While I agree that volcanion is threatened by archaludon, my main point is that even with av, archaludon can't come in safely more than once. It's more like the arch player has to predict coming on a steam eruption, which does min 38%, a flamethrower which does 20%, or sludge wave, which of course does nothing. I've also found that against opposing rain, me and my opponent have been reluctant to set up rain, which means that arch is no way threatening volcanion out.
If rain is up and arch can come in safely, then yes, arch destroys volcanion, but that is somewhat dependant on whether rain is up or the volcanion user predicts.

While I agree that volcanion is threatened by archaludon, my main point is that even with av, archaludon can't come in safely more than once. It's more like the arch player has to predict coming on a steam eruption, which does min 38%, a flamethrower which does 20%, or sludge wave, which of course does nothing. I've also found that against opposing rain, me and my opponent have been reluctant to set up rain, which means that arch is no way threatening volcanion out.
If rain is up and arch can come in safely, then yes, arch destroys volcanion, but that is somewhat dependant on whether rain is up or the volcanion user predicts.
I am aware of these facts, I am also doing this to provide an alternative viewpoint, so both sides can be seen.

I am aware of these facts, I am also doing this to provide an alternative viewpoint, so both sides can be seen.
I'm agreeing with you on the outspeeding and threatening volc part of your arguement, volcanion can not stay in and it does mean that arch can get off an almost free electro shot. I think saying to not try volcanion is not really the best idea as it does stonewall a lot of rain staples and if arch is taken out of the picture, volc is insanly great. The other point of volc was that it was decent against sun, for example with tera fairy, it can be immune to both of wake's stabs. Volc is good for going against opposing weather teams, that's it's reason for its inclusion on my team.

I'm agreeing with you on the outspeeding and threatening volc part of your arguement, volcanion can not stay in and it does mean that arch can get off an almost free electro shot. I think saying to not try volcanion is not really the best idea as it does stonewall a lot of rain staples and if arch is taken out of the picture, volc is insanly great. The other point of volc was that it was decent against sun, for example with tera fairy, it can be immune to both of wake's stabs. Volc is good for going against opposing weather teams, that's it's reason for its inclusion on my team.
I wasn't saying to not try Volcanion, I was just listing off one way to beat Volcanion, as well as a couple of it's flaws, one of which I forgot is Stealth Rocks, and just Hazard Spam in general. I also love Volcanion, I just don't use it a lot.

I might be a gambling addict, but gosh darn does Hypnosis Darkrai feel so good. Passively having Nightmare really makes the crappy accuracy worth it. I have eaten so many Ting-Lu’s over the past week just whittling down the behemoth with Oce Beams and Bad Dreams. You just steal games sometimes because of how good putting something to sleep with Darkrai is, and Darkrai naturally causes many switch out opportunities that it somewhat makes up for the 60% Accuracy. Been having a blast, glad it was brought down, but it’s definitely dumb and uncompetitive.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Happy new years to my favorite discussion group, I hope everyone has a fantastic 2024, that being said

Freeze Clause should be implemented in SV OU, Kyurem is shitting up the meta and there's 1 viable Pokémon with Heal Bell. I think this needs to be a serious conversation.

Happy new years to my favorite discussion group, I hope everyone has a fantastic 2024, that being said

Freeze Clause should be implemented in SV OU, Kyurem is shitting up the meta and there's 1 viable Pokémon with Heal Bell. I think this needs to be a serious conversation.
I haven't seen a single Kyurem or Darkrai get multiple freezes in a game so far. At best its 1 freeze, which can still be game altering, but freeze clause doesn't help with that so..... not worth the hassle imo.

ban kyurem and let ubers have this discussion tbh fuck ur ice moves we have things to ban

it's not like there's a move called Freeze Powder. If you get frozen on multiple mons, then you deserve to lose. Not in a skill sense, but just... don't get unlucky?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 13, Guests: 52)