Xbox 360, Pc or Ps3?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Mass Effect 2 runs just fine, and it is a desktop. Dragon Age on the other hand... not so much. And no, it's not a chipset. I had one of the newest graphic cards at the time, and even a game like Starcraft 2 slows down at the start of a match. It's time to buy a new graphics card, but I'm shit broke and that's the whole point isn't it? I haven't spent a dime on any of my console's hardware ever since I got them.

There's definitely some hypocrisy in this thread. Some say that you only have to upgrade if you're a graphics whore (I'm not), but at the same time you recommend a computer because it looks better than a console game. If money is an issue, he should get a console. Fuck, even if it wasn't, with the current console generation picking up speed as of 2009 if you like video games you should have a console. You're missing out on so much more, even if a few multiplatform games are better on PC.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
vonFielder, what video card do you have? Just go Start -> Run > dxdiag if you don't know. I kind of doubt it's a good one considering you can't remember.

If you like video games, you can't go wrong with any platform. Some of the best games are exclusive to each one. A PC has the advantage of being able to do more than a console, having cheaper games, and him not having to deal with Sony and Microsoft's bullshit in South America.

Much like you miss out on not having a 360 or PS3, you miss out on not having a PC.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
He clearly HAS a PC, it seems like he just wants a gaming PC. Maybe I'm wrong, if he's posting from the library then he should definitely go PC.

My card is a Radeon HD 4800. It's not top of the line anymore, but that's the point. It's certainly better than what you could get 5 years ago. I've only had difficulties with the two games I mentioned, but that's running on mid-range graphic settings.

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Your card is better than mine. I'm using a 9600GT and I'm not having many problems. Starcraft 2 slows down in the beginning of a match in campaign for me, but not much at all online running in near ultra settings (1 setting is set to high and 2 others are set to medium). My resolution is 1440X900.

You're probably running it on a higher resolution than the console, or you're noticing frequent framerate drops. While console framesrates are very low and the FOV is pathetic, it is constant which is better than it fluctuating between 40 and 82.

Also, there was no hypocrisy in what he's saying. If money isn't an issue then you can shoot higher. If money is an issue, you can shoot lower. Yes the initial purchase costs more. Its just not as costly as many people think it is.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Starcraft 2 also has an issue with framerates. Try this:

Certain screens make your hardware work pretty hard

Screens that are light on detail may make your system overheat if cooling is overall insufficient. This is because the game has nothing to do so it is primarily just working on drawing the screen very quickly. A temporary workaround is to go to your Documents\StarCraft II Beta\variables.txt file and add these lines:

frameratecapglue=30

frameratecap=60

You may replace these numbers if you want to.
Also, there's no such thing as a 4800... Is it a 4830, 4850, 4870, or 4890? The 4850 and higher are all great cards that can run any modern game with no issues whatsoever unless you're trying to do 1080p at 60 fps with everything turned up.

i have 3000 Bs, wich is like 500 or so dollars (don't listen to currency converters as we are one of the lowest values in south america) and this is enough to get a good gaming pc, Xbox 360 or a Ps3.

I'm kinda leaning towards pc but i just want a good gaming device, don't suggest wii as i already own one.

one point to consider is the fact that if i get a ring of death i'm fucked as there is nowhere to get it fixed that is owned by Microsoft in Venezuela, or barinas in that case, so i would have to take it to someone with no training by the company, and i've heard this tends to happen a lot with Xbox 360's but whatever just help me choose.
Well apparently it's easier to chip 360's over PS3's, so if you want to buy pirate games it would be better to have a 360. But I prefer the PS3, though. I can't say anything for or against PC. Shouldn't you save up some 500 bs more so you can get a game with it?

EDIT: The good prebuilt PC's I've seen around town were around 5000 Bs, but maybe you can get a better deal.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I fixed the framerate issues in Starcraft 2 before I ran it. Anyway, it's a 4850. What kind of card does your friend have if its five years old? There's more than just ATI, but a five year old ATI card wouldn't be able to run shit even on low settings. A five year old computer is just fine, but he has to have changed his graphic card by now.

Firestorm

I fixed the framerate issues in Starcraft 2 before I ran it. Anyway, it's a 4850. What kind of card does your friend have if its five years old? There's more than just ATI, but a five year old ATI card wouldn't be able to run shit even on low settings. A five year old computer is just fine, but he has to have changed his graphic card by now.
8800 GT. I was wrong about 5 years. 3.5 years now.

If you must have my opinion I can easily give them to you. Each one has its own charm that makes them fantastic as well as their downs that you just want to pull your hair out of.

The 360 has great game selections like Halo, but however I never liked the idea of paying for Xbox Live. You also can't forget about the RROD that is going to happen sooner or later.

The PS3 I used to enjoy because it had free online play. However, I really don't like the low selection of great games that it has.

The PC I would probably say you should choose because it's more mobile than the PS3 or 360. Not to mention most games have free online play. One thing I never did like about PC gaming is that I don't like using keyboards to control characters. I am more of a controller type of person.

If you have a warranty on your Xbox, you send it to Microsoft and they repair it and send it back to you for free. Otherwise, depending on the problem, you can be charged 100 dollars or more to have it repaired, but it is shipped either way so it doesn't matter where you live.

I would say, sell the Wii, get a PS3 and Xbox 360, but seeing as that isn't an option, (as bad as the Wii is,) I vote Xbox 360

Oh and the newer Xbox 360s were manufactured with system failures in mind, so they are prone to less system failures

PC is also better for L4D. I wouldn't choose playing any multiplatforms any other way than through Steam or Gamespy, they're just the best experience controls for online gaming. Valve team making the obvious exemplification :D

$500 Dollars will get a you a decent computer. However, if you want to play games such as Counter-Strike or WoW on that computer, you'll be getting a whole lot of lag and will probably make your computer run slower. You'll have to spend about double what you have to get a decent gaming computer.

Now, an Xbox 360 is what I have. It's nice, the only thing about it is that you have to pay to play online. Xbox 360 also has tons of add on features that you get when you pay for Xbox Live Gold (as opposed to Silver), such as Facebook, Twitter, last.fm, and Netflix. Netflix streams so much better on the Xbox 360 then any other gaming console that has it available.

PS3. Hmm, it has free online multiplayer, but their service isn't so great. I mean it gets the job done, but just barely. And that little virtual world thing or whatever on the PS3 isn't that great either. Netflix takes forever to stream videos on the PS3, and it ran on a connection of about 11 MB per Second connection, while my Xbox 360 can stream videos fine on about a 1 MB per Second connection. PS3 does have the feature to surf the web, but I don't want to get into that.

Firestorm

Lag is not dependant on your computer specs. And CS and WoW are so light on resources a $500 computer would run them fine.

I never understood why people complain about the longevity of PC specs. My 5200FX/Athlon 3000+ with 512MB of RAM ran games fine and dandy until about 2005-ish (640x480 with medium settings was console quality back then). Now my machine is about 2 years old and my video card is an ATI 3870 and I can run all games on pretty much max settings at 1680x1050. Except for Crysis, but only because I use 64-bit Windows.

So yeah, a gaming PC will probably last you longer than you think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)