Xbox 360, Pc or Ps3?

i have 3000 Bs, wich is like 500 or so dollars (don't listen to currency converters as we are one of the lowest values in south america) and this is enough to get a good gaming pc, Xbox 360 or a Ps3.

I'm kinda leaning towards pc but i just want a good gaming device, don't suggest wii as i already own one.

one point to consider is the fact that if i get a ring of death i'm fucked as there is nowhere to get it fixed that is owned by Microsoft in Venezuela, or barinas in that case, so i would have to take it to someone with no training by the company, and i've heard this tends to happen a lot with Xbox 360's but whatever just help me choose.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure on PC part prices. I'd probably recommend that as I know PS3 and 360 software is terribly expensive in most South American countries whereas you can most likely buy PC games on Steam for US prices. $500 USD can buy you a decent computer in the US. So if that's the case in your country, go for it.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Uhhh 500 dollars definitely is not enough to get a good PC. You'll be at most be able to get a Exxxx Dual Core processor, or maybe an i3 processor, a low-midrange graphics card, 2-4 gigs of RAM, and plus, you're gonna need a PSU, a case, a mobo, and those don't come cheap.

With 500 dollars, I'd get a PS3.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Uhhh 500 dollars definitely is not enough to get a good PC. You'll be at most be able to get a Exxxx Dual Core processor, or maybe an i3 processor, a low-midrange graphics card, 2-4 gigs of RAM, and plus, you're gonna need a PSU, a case, a mobo, and those don't come cheap.

Why would you use the specs as a reason he should get a PS3 when those specs will let his PC run PS3 / 360 multiplatform games better than a PS3 or 360?

Unless there are exclusives you want on the 360 or PS3 more than exclusives on the PC, get a PC. It'll be a better choice in the long run. This is of course assuming PC parts are around US prices. If not, then you may be out of luck and I would stick with a console.

well the tax change is kinda lame because consoles are much more expensive because they have to be imported, whereas PC's are built here so with my current money i can get much more than what you are saying.

and please stay away of the money issue, this is to help me decide which would be better for me or entertain me the most.

judging by your last post, i think a PC would be good for you. it's just a matter of choosing what games you plan on having.
if you want modern games, then you should get a high specs PC.
if you don't want modern games, then a mid-range PC should be good.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
well the tax change is kinda lame because consoles are much more expensive because they have to be imported, whereas PC's are built here so with my current money i can get much more than what you are saying.

and please stay away of the money issue, this is to help me decide which would be better for me or entertain me the most.
If you have a bigger budget, then a PC would be better. However, you should be prepared to spend around 700-900 dollars for a good desktop that will last you for a few years.

Why would you use the specs as a reason he should get a PS3 when those specs will let his PC run PS3 / 360 multiplatform games better than a PS3 or 360?
Actually, games like Crysis 2 that are coming out are going to be more demanding on the PC. A 500 dollar PC will not be able to compete with a PS3 in terms of performance.

I don't really know what sort of games you enjoy but i would recommend a Ps3 , with 500 dollars i really don't think you will get a pc that has the graphics card and processor that can run the "newist" games out there. Ps3 over xbox is really only due to the free internet rather than the £30 a month

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Actually, games like Crysis 2 that are coming out are going to be more demanding on the PC. A 500 dollar PC will not be able to compete with a PS3 in terms of performance.
It won't be able to compete because the PS3 version is gimped, not because the PS3 is more "powerful". Consoles nowadays are fairly old technology, you can beat them easily at a fairly low price.

The reason PC gamers get fairly expensive computers is because we tend to be graphic whores that demand 60+ frames per second. A cheap Dell inspiron with a 9500GT built in is enough to play most games.

I think resolution is the big one with PC gaming. PC gamers love their high-res monitors - sometimes even multiple monitors - and want their games to run at full resolution. Console gamers are using TVs, which even with HD offer a lower resolution experience. But since they're used to watching TV anyway the low resolution isn't felt so much, plus TV screens are usually physically larger.

(And yes I know I am grossly generalising here.)

Firestorm

If you have a bigger budget, then a PC would be better. However, you should be prepared to spend around 700-900 dollars for a good desktop that will last you for a few years.

If you could run Crysis on a $550 PC 2 years ago, I'm sure you'll be able to run Crysis on a $500 PC in 2010. Especially considering Crysis 2 is being built with consoles in mind and should be less demanding than Crysis.

The problem with your thinking is you want to crank all the settings up + play in 1080p when you see the settings available. That's not how it works if you're comparing to consoles.

A $500 PC is more than capable of beating out the performance a 360 or PS3 can give you. Obviously people need to spend more than that to get better visuals at higher resolutions.

cayr, the reason we are talking money is because it directly affects how much entertainment you'll get out of your purchase. A console is no use without games and the same goes for a PC.

Edit: Here's a $530 Canadian PC I'm just ripping from elseswhere with a 5770 which will run games at much better graphics than a 360 or PS3 ever will:

- OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W - $55.55 w/ $20 MIR - $35.55
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...y&promoid=1088

- Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) - $87.49 no MIR
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...ced-_-20226092

- AMD Athlon II X3 440 Ti Core Processor - $76.79
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/227078/AMD/ADX440WFGIBOX/

- MSI 870A-G54 ATX AM3 870 DDR3 2PCI-E16 CrossFire 1PCI-E1 3PCI SATA3 USB3.0 GBLAN Motherboard - $89.99 w/ $10 MIR - $79.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=52499&vpn=870A-G54&manufacture=MSI/MicroStar&promoid=1088

- ASUS ATI HD 5770 1GB - $159.99 w/ $20 MIR - $139.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/index....CORE/2DI/1GD5/A&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1088

- WD 500gb blue 7200 rpm - $39.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/index....S&manufacture=Western Digital WD&promoid=1088

- NZXT Gamma ATX Mid Tower Case - $44.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...T&promoid=1088

- Samsung SH-S223L/BEBS 22X SATA Black DVD Writer Lightscribe OEM - $20
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=42349&vpn=SH-S223L/BEBS&manufacture=Samsung&promoid=1088
$525 after mail in rebates. Would have to add OS, keyboard, mouse from old PC.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As far as I know the red ring problem is pretty much gone with the most recent revision of the hardware.

Best advice is to check for exclusives you "must have" and go in that direction.

Oh, and personally, I prefer consoles. Sitting back on the couch with my feet stretched out playing a game with my thumbs beats the hell out of being hunched over a computer desk.

Firestorm

With my PC hooked up to my TV, I get to choose what I play with which is nice =) Usually prefer PC versions of multiplatform titles because I have more friends on PC, better visuals, and Steam means it's always ready to play!

for exclusives if i go for pc the ps3 ones don't hurt that much as the only thing that i'll miss are god of war, some ff games, ninja gaiden and ratchet and clank.

if i go for ps3 i'll miss TF, Halo, Warcraft(DotA), and WoW which i've always wanted to get, Dead rising 1 and 2(because the wii one sucked ass).

if i go for the Xbox 360 it's the same thing that with the pc, since i don't care for most 360 exclusives.

for me the pc still remains triumphant. Still could you care suggest some exclusives or just games that aren't available for pc or wii that could possibly change mi mind?

This is easy. If you're a really competitive person, you should try and go for the 360. The people there are much more better than the ones on PSN. But you do have to pay for the online fee which is $50 a year. Now if you want to play really good games for their story and don't care much for multiplayer then sure shoot for the PS3. The good thing about PSN is that you get free everything as to the 360 where you have to pay for expansions and certain other things with Microsoft points. I have a 360 because I went Semi-pro in Halo 3 and I'm waiting for Reach to release already.

Wireless keyboard and mouse with monitor hooked up to a TV = you got yourself a console experience. I'm sure you'll want more ease of use and multifunctionality than a gaming system

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Frankly, I'd get a PS3. If money is an issue then even if you get a computer that runs competently NOW that doesn't last long without more upgrades. The only multiplatform games that I play on the PC are those made by Bioware, everything else is usually very badly ported. Ease of use? A console is the quintessential ease of use gaming device, even in this day and age with installations, patches, hardware updates, etc. As for the PS3 over the 360, the PS3 has a better controller, free internet, and won't red ring of death (yes, this still happens, speaking from experience).

also since i have an 38" plasma tv hd, does this in any way affect the need for a graphic card or if i just use my tv as a monitor does the resolution improve or what?

also the internet issue isn't really a problem because i mostly play multiplayer's on pc, and those that i play semi-pro i just go to a cafe(cyber as we call them) which are mostly made for gaming

I use my TV as my monitor and I've never had any problems.
that's not what i mean, i mean that because i'm not using my monitor does the need for a better video card decrease(not that i would get a bad one just so that it doesn't require higher).

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It depends on the television's resolution. The size of it isn't what counts, its the number with the p at the end.

Also:
If money is an issue then even if you get a computer that runs competently NOW that doesn't last long without more upgrades.
That's pretty much a myth. Just because people choose to upgrade doesn't mean you have to, they just choose to do so because they want to run everything on max. If you wait out long enough and play games on medium settings, you could last a while without the need to upgrade.

Anecdotal may be weak, but in my case my own custom built computer was $600 2 years ago, and I can run close to max settings in most games. I choose not to because I value +60 framerates over graphics.

Bad ports is a real problem though. That's a problem with the developers and not the machine, but it is there.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Anecdotal being as weak as it, my computer was new only two years ago and it has problems running new games.

Super

This space for rent
If its graphics card is integrated, that's why. Most computers have integrated graphics chips that don't work very well for gaming. I know a 9500GT is fairly cheap old technology that'll let you play at around medium settings without getting a new power supply. Still, you did mention bioware, I'm assuming games like Mass Effect, right?

I'm assuming its a desktop, of course. Most people imagine gaming on laptops, which is bad.

Firestorm

Anecdotal being as weak as it, my computer was new only two years ago and it has problems running new games.
Then stop buying crappy pre-built computers at Best Buy that aren't meant to play games? My friend built his computer 5 years ago and can still play the newest games. A $100 5670 will probably give you console performance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)