What's your favorite movie???

Unless some other redeemable actor is in the movie, Will Ferrell movies are the movies I like the least, not always the movies, but just him as a person. I despise him. Anchor man wasn't half bad though.

just watched mysterious skin, goddamn. thanks for the recommendation glen. sigur rós during the ending scene just fucking killed me.

Die Hard the original one, it has everything you need from a movie- reluctant hero, european overacting badguy, plenty of explosions, "witty" one liners....

and its perfect for Christmas!

Unless some other redeemable actor is in the movie, Will Ferrell movies are the movies I like the least, not always the movies, but just him as a person. I despise him. Anchor man wasn't half bad though.
i agree mostly with this, though stranger than fiction changed my view slightly. it's not exactly a great performance on anyones part and the story doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but something about his character is so endearing. also maggie gylenhaal was beautiful in this film aaaah

im not much of a huge connoseur of films, but anyone who knows me will know i've always spouted my 2 favourite films as the prestige and memento. the prestige because the premise and the setting are fantastic. the world of magic is something that still has an element of mystery for most people even in this day and age, and this film tapped into that in a spectacular way, with plenty of twists and turns helping create a fanatstic film i've rewatched countless times.

memento's story is again fantastic, and that final plot twist is just aaaaaaaaah. DONT BELIEVE HIS LIES.

the only films ive seen recently were the dark knight, up, and saw 6, the former 2 of which were both fantastic. the first 5 minute sequence of up where you follow carls entire life through all it's nuances and meanders was spectacular, and after everything went tragically wrong and the scene slowly cut to black, the entire cinema i was at was completely silent. really moving, and not something i expected from a family film at all.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Cheech and chong up in smoke. Still haven't seen the whole movie, always get about halfway through.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
the prestige and memento are among the few mainstream-accessible "twist" movies that aren't just great on the first viewing, but are actually worth rewatching. i'm a big fan of nolan in general.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My favorites include The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Monster, Crash, I Am Legend, and Red Eye.

Benjamin Button was really fantastic imo, with a great storyling, acting, and a really powerful message. Crash and Monster were kind of deeper movies (Crash especially) that definitely aren't the "watch it while doing something else" type movie. I saw both of those movies a while ago but I remember them to be really powerful. Charlize Theron was astounding in Monster (to go from such a beautiful woman to such a "moster" [lol!] was mesmerizing). I Am Legend and Red Eye were both just really exciting!

Edit: I agree with all the will ferrell hate, he's annoying. The only tolerable movies I can remember are Anchorman and that ice skating movie

Vince Vaughn is worse than Will Ferrell.

My single favourite movie is probably The Shawshank Redemption. Other than some others I enjoy are:

The Godfather Parts I and II
O Brother Where Art Thou?
Hiroshima mon amour
À bout de souffle (because Jean-Luc Godard is amazing)
Gladiator
Good Will Hunting
Monty Python films
Mel Brooks films
and lots of other things

I would like the Lord of the Rings films a lot more if I weren't a Tolkien nerd angry at how Peter Jackson made up shit that adds nothing to the films and actually creates plot inconsistencies, and how he ruined a lot of characters (Faramir, ugh). Ian McKellen, Christopher Lee, and Viggo Mortenson were all amazing though, and the soundtrack is stunning.

Damn, it's hard to pick a favourite movie...

At a push, perhaps I could say The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (as in, all three), because they are so goddamn beautifully made.

Best films...hmm...I'd probably pick the 'Die Hard' Films. They are well made and contribute some slight hilarity whilst still being action packed and keeping you on the edge of your seat. Other than that the lord of the rings trilogy is also a great set of films. Millions of people enjoy these 3 films for obvious reasons =D. Perhaps one day they would make a sequel of these 3? That would be nice however since they are routed from books it is incredibly unlikely :(.

andrea

/me cresselias
I love Gladiator. Favorite movie ever. But that probably is because Russell Crowe is my favorite celebrity of all time, haha.

But Les Miserables is an excellent movie, too. I used to have it on VHS but my VCR ate it at one point- so my parents bought me the DVD for Christmas.

I like other horror and scifi movies too- it runs in the family. The alien series, the Terminator movies, etc...

not gonna try to rank them but here's the ones that are pretty much in a class of their own for being my favorites::::

SEVEN SAMURAI(1954, Akira Kurosawa)
Yeah, enough has been written about this film for the past 5 million years and not much more has to be said. It deserves all the acclaim it's ever got and then some. How huge and epic it feels, the characters and their roles, the drama, the comic relief, and the awesome finale battle scene and the awesome ending. LIVESUP yo.

PORCO ROSSO(1992, Hayao Miyazaki)
It's got everything all Miyazaki films have in the great animation, imaginative splendor, enjoyability, ability to be emotional touching, deep and dramatic meaning even with an innocently childish front, etc. And it's got that stuff more than all his other films with the addition of just being a cool ass story of a fighter pilot on the run in fascist Italy.

ALL ABOUT LILY CHOU-CHOU(2001, Shunji Iwai)
It won't be the easiest film for a lot of people to watch. Story telling isn't exactly linear, you're not being spoonfed at all what's going on, and the shaky, turbulent shooting only adds to the confusion. But it's more than worth it to figure it out. An amazing story about the tumultuous life of Japanese high school students, with plenty of touching moments, plenty of heartbreaking moments, and set to by far my favorite soundtrack in film. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a film where the description of "beautiful" is so apt.

Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN(2001, Alfonso Cuaron)
Amazing film about many things. Hard to write about a film like this, just watch it.

BLADE RUNNER(1982, Ridley Scott)
When people think of films made in the 1980's about the future, you don't usually imagine one could pull off such a successful and atmospheric theme like Blade Runner does. If it were made today, with all our modern film technology, I would be impressed if I saw a film with such engrossing surroundings. The way small, bizarre things are thrown into the background throughout with no special explanation or emphasis only helps immerse you in the radically different, and confusing, world of the film. Adding to that you have the story that never seemed like it was supposed to become as poignant as it did, and the characters whose roles never seemed like they were supposed to become as touching and perfect as they did, and an outstanding score to tie it together.

CHUNGKING EXPRESS(1994, Wong Kar-wai)
It seems whenever someone sets out to make a "cool" film, it usually ends up being horrendous. Chungking Express is a cool film which succeeds enormously. The quirks and interesting activities of its main characters never become annoying and exhibitiony, the heartbroken narrative never becomes tired or feels like it's trying too hard, the stylistic filming and presentation is just that, stylistic, not pretentious in its pursuit to be stylistic. It all just works.

Miracle is probably my favorite movie of all time. As a hockey fan, how could it not be? Other movies that I really like include Fight Club, The Princess Bride, and Braveheart.

I really like war movies like Saving Private Ryan, but I also like movies like Wall-E. By the way, has anyone seen The Outsiders?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)