What playstyles do you use?

To be quite honest, I've actually used both stall and offensive teams for about equal amounts of time throughout my battling career on the UU ladder, but I've been leaning towards using offensive teams more, experimenting with both balanced and spike-stacking offense.

It is my opinion that the current metagame makes stall less effective than it has been in the past, being completely obliterated by Swords Dance Gallade (among other things) without much trouble. Additionally, the fast paced metagame UU seems to be leaning towards now probably won't even give stall teams much of a chance to set up. Note that, of course, I may be mistaken in my beliefs as I probably haven't battled as much in the current stage of the UU ladder as compared to the other people here.

I feel that in OU I could run stall pretty well and even dabbled with some heavy offense. However, for me neither of these styles work out in UU.

I would say any moderately successful team that I can use in UU is goal oriented. I need to have a single strategy to thrive towards that can consistently win me matches.

Most of the time that means a team revolving around a set up sweeper. The first UU team I made revolved around sub calm mind mismagius. The strategy was to lure out and kill registeel (mismagius' only real counter a few metagames ago) and then create a situation to set up and sweep with sub calm mind mismagius.

A more recent team revolved around thunder wave. I had tons of pokes that could kill ground pokemon and once all fast threats were paralyzed set up with subseed venusaur and sub dd lapras.

I have to know exactly how I should win or the teams fall apart.
I am not capable of using a bunch of pokemon together that have good typing and synergy. In UU teambuilding I would forego that to create a team that consistently reaches a goal or a win condition.

Well, everyone shoul dknow by now that I HATE stall. So, I primarily play bulky offense/balance. Although, my team now seems like more of a semi-stall or at least more stallish than my regular teams. Im glad to see stall become ineffective tbqh, but I absolutely hate this metagame. Imo, UU has become very dull. The funny part is that I actually ran stall the other day AND did quite well with it, which is really odd because anyone who knows me, knows that I suck at stall. I ran a team of Spiritomb/Chansey/Tangrowth/Donphan/Milotic/Omastar. FYI, my current team is: Moltres/Spiritomb/Milotic/Rhyperior/Venusaur/Arcanine~just seems stallish to me...what do you guys think?

I ran a team of Spiritomb/Chansey/Tangrowth/Donphan/Milotic/Omastar. FYI, my current team is: Moltres/Spiritomb/Milotic/Rhyperior/Venusaur/Arcanine~just seems stallish to me...what do you guys think?
That seems more like Bulky Offense to me.

I try to run as balanced a team as I can; usually my team consists of: a suicide lead, a physical wall, a special wall, a mixed sweeper, a rapid spinner, and a late-game physical or special sweeper. Doesn't always work well, especially against stall, but I still like it.

Heavy Offense, I'm addicted to themed teams, Rain, Sun, TR, TR+Hail+FEAR, I've tried them all.

I use Heavy Offense+Regirock. I almost always (no matter what tier) use an Offensive team with one wall. These work well, because they are able to break stall and stop powerful Pokemon on the opponent's team. They work especially well in UU, because stall is not as prominent.

i'm basically the same, but registeel instead of rock.

Bulky offence and Defensive teams is what I'm using the most at the moment, especially BO since you won't have the high risk whilst still be a threat then let's say: Stall.

I, like many users here, play hyper-offense. Hyper-offense literally dominates the OU
meta-game. I've tried stall before, but I really don't like the style of play. I prefer playing more conservatively and predict than just wear the enemy down. That's just me, though.

I STILL USE MY SAME TEAM hahahahaha

nah, i'm trying to use a different balance team, but in this UU metagame either you have to stop gallade or stop raikou from what ive seen so far, its hard to stop both, im happy arcanine got morning sun that makes it a much bigger threat and bulky threat, but now ppl are playing spikes and SR ALOT more than they used to so I would say hyper offensive teams are the way to go in this metagame...

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
THough in the past I played mainly offensive teams, the longer I play the more I find myself gravitating towards balanced, since the number of stat-uppers has increased with every tier change.

I generally use Offense or Balanced. My initial teams were generally bulky offense seeing that its fun playing with offensive and defensive elements combined. Lately, I'm playing more offense and with my new Sun team, I've seen that hyper offensive weather teams are quite effective in UU.

1 or 2 sweepers with the rest of the team built around weakening whatever stops them. That's how I build every team.

i prefer stall, but I use Screens + Swellow to keep it viable in the Gallade age, and late game, after wearing down a core like only stall can, i throw screens up, and my Swellow is hard to stop, if not impossible

I use something that looks like heavy offense.
I use some things like Trick Specs Alakazam, Trick Scarf Support Claydol, Encore Clefable and then various set up sweepers with immunities or 4x resists and good defenses. Any of DD Lapras, DD Altaria, Howl Arcanine, RP Aggron, NP Toxicroak, SD Gallade etc... anything that is dangerous after 1 turn or 2 turns if they are bulky and come in on an immunity like Arcanaine, Lapras and Altaria. So that part of it is bulky offense.

Claydol has been the most consistant team member because with a scarf and the ev's i use it's bulky enough to come in, trick it's Scarf away, set up SR, and then is fast enough even with out the scarf to explode on walls like milotic blastoise slowbro and EQ the rock and steels. Ev'd it as an emergency check to raikou with the scarf.

Usually will just let the current poke die and keep attempting a sweep to wear down counters rather than switching. Keep switching to a minimum unless I get a free turn via Encore or Choice lock.

Gee i am glad i haven't come up against Mrobinson's team, wouldnt like to deal with it.
I just play the style that suits me best. My team is half heavy offense and half walls, so i guess you would call it balanced.
I agree with people who have said that screens are the way to go now.
IMHO; heavy offense isnt effective due to the quality of revenge killers, stall is finding it tough with gallade and the loss of Roserade, bulky offense is thriving with a plethora of options on both sides of the spectrum.
That kind of undermined my choice of style =(

I've played a bit of everything, from Hyper Offense to Bulky Offense to Stall. I love playing Hyper Offense the most, but stall is easily the best to ladder with.

I've been using stall for the past month and it's been doing incredibly well. My strategy for team building isn't about putting as much spikes on the field as possible and making sure my spin blockers are around, but making sure I have SR down, then continue to force switchs and cripple the switches with WOW/Toxic. Pressure users help a ton too. I know that sounds like basic stall, but the fact that you DON'T need a shit ton of entry hazards to have a successful stall team is a pretty cool idea.

I just feel that with Gallade preventing stall and Raikou / Krow Requiring some bulk everyone is being forced into the middle. However with Frosslass's interduction spikes have been seen more on offense and easier on stall

Sweep, revenge kill, and a omni-safeswitch. Sweep when you can, revenge kill when you can, but only wall when you need to. Stalling fails. 'Nuff said.

Offense all the way. I know stall is the superior, more reliable strategy, but it's just too boring on the ladder. It's fine vs real players, though, because those matches are typically more involved, so I usually vary my style of play in actual battles.

I play with a balanced team in UU. There are just so many pokemon that can be used in this tier that you don't know what you're gonna come up against. My balanced teams can deal with many teams which is why I mainly stick with this playstyle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)