What playstyles do you use?

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
With a tier like UU which goes through many changes often due to the various suspect tests and new additions falling from OU, it can be hard to define the "best" playstyle in UU. However, there are certain preferences people have and that is my question - What sort of playstyles do you use in UU?

I'm generally an offence player as I enjoy the nicely fast paced tier that is UU. With many capable sweepers already in UU, and many recently added (Rhyperior and Alakazam to name a couple), it's nice to be able to try these out. I also like how there is a lot of variety in offence, unlike a playstyle such as stall which has a few staples (but isn't completely arbitary in team building). This variety helps make offence play even more fun since it is pretty hard to get bored of it.

Discuss/Opinions?

I use Heavy Offense+Regirock. I almost always (no matter what tier) use an Offensive team with one wall. These work well, because they are able to break stall and stop powerful Pokemon on the opponent's team. They work especially well in UU, because stall is not as prominent.

I usually played offense as I like a fast game as it is more enjoyable. I have played semistall in the past though.

Unless discussion starts happening, rather than people just stating which playstyle they prefer, this thread will be locked.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I do believe that any version of offense is the way to go in UU (EUM seems to disagree however), especially in the current metagame with Gallade everywhere.

However, UU heavy offense won't be as successful as OU HO, since in UU there is a lot more strong priority. Sure, Alakazam, Houndoom, etc. are all great HO members, but Azumarill's Aqua Jet is a great check. Most of the things that can take an Aqua Jet are walls, or bulky offenders.
Overall, I'd say bulky offense is the way to go. That's just me though.

Always balanced.

I can't seem to pull off pure offense too well, and stalling my opponent out is quite literally not my style. Speaking of stall, I haven't seen a single stall team since Froslass and Raikou came back into UU.

I prefer my mega-balanced team personally. It has some HO members (Absol, Pinser [lead], and Manectric) and some bulky attackers/walls (Regice, Miltank, and Tauros) I'd say it's DECENT, but I've only fought n00bs so far, and I don't think I'll fight anyone experianced ever.

EDIT: Wow... 150 posts.

I play a very balanced style with a bulky lead good at gaining momentum, some wall breakers, a defensive core, and a final sweeper.

In the past, I almost exclusively played stall. At least in my matches, no one was running pursuit when I was running a stall team and it became, for the most part, "go on autopilot and stall teams out." However, stall was by no means perfect and any sort of team that was well enough prepared for it could give it immense trouble. Despite this, I think that stall will always be my favorite style off ladder...

After I played stall for a while, I started using bulky offense and balance teams and REALLY enjoyed them. They really helped speed up the tempo of a match and were consistent in a uu that was fairly centralized at the time. I grew to prefer this type of team on ladder simply because matches were not as time consuming, and most stall teams weren't actually too hard to break provided you prepared for them which was helped by the fact that stall didn't have too many viable options.

This metagame, however, seems much more focused around balance and bulky offense. I've tried heavy stall, and it doesn't really have an answer to gallade other than faster normal types that can encore/ ko it and then you are essentially wasting a team slot on one pokemon even though it could be helpful for a few others. HO, like Erazor said, seems a bit too fragile to get the job done when you think of all the priority lurking on every team.

I prefer Bulky Offense,
They are plenty of Bulky pokemon with great attack/SpA stats,
and they really thrive in UU.

I use every style lol

Since Stall to heavy offense(mixed, only special or only physical), bulky offense, balanced, monotype teams, tematic teams... everything.

Of all the funniest is the physical HO, though it's not the best style around.

Before Donphan came down, I always play offense, except my stall based balance team which was based upon PurpleWeezing's idea of using Sub and Toxic Spikes to wear down the opponent. It had Yanmega as a lead, Rest Talk Toxic SPikes Drapion, Steelix, and SubRotom, SubRoost Altaria and Sub Azumarril. It got me to 20th, which I was pleased with. The team died though after Donphan came down - it countered 5/6 of my team :S.

I've not really found a playstyle to fit the metagame now - its been a bit difficult with all the changes going on. Donphan sorta killed Stall when it came down, as it hurt many of the favourites in stall, while all the offensive pokes which have now come down have pushed it into an offensive metagame. Offence is the way to go imo, and my current bulky offence team consists of lots of pokes punishing bulky Waters with SD-Rest Feraligatr sweeping late game. Its worked pretty well so far.

I aggree with everyone else that UU now favours offense.

I play every style, but stall is my favorite. It's too bad that it's pretty much extinct now with all the new additions added. (i'm looking at you Gallade)

I play Offense all the time. Stall is too bland and boring for me. I'd probably put the offense I play somewhere in between Heavy Offense and Bulky Offense. Probably closer to the latter. Though, I'd say all styles of play are pretty damn boring in this metagame....

I tend to play a more offense-oriented game, but my focus on offense tends to leave my defense weak. Currently I'm exploring Bulky Offense options.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Stall is easily the most dominant style of play when you want to ladder. Its my best style of play, however like heysup said, its boring and slow, although its very effective. Heavy Offense for me. :pirate:

Stall is quickly becoming ineffective, with Gallade running rampant.

Personally, I don't run Heavy Offense, but rather a weird combo of Bulky, Balance, and Heavy.

My current team is Regirock/Venusaur/Blastoise/Moltres/Swellow/Honchkrow. You can make a case for all but Swellow being bulky, and Blastoise is more wall-y, but Yawn/Roar keep up the offensive momentum. I also abuse resistances/immunites, so I'd go with a cross between Bulky and Balance, leaning towards Bulky.

Hell, just call it Bulky, and make it a day.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
I have played a lot of UU Stall in the past and been pretty successful with it, infact I'd say I used stall for 90% of the time I played UU. It was incredibly user friendly and produced great results. I sadly cannot seem to play stall the way I used to anymore with Gallade and friends coming down, only winning about 60% of my matches (as opposed to right before the new changes were implemented where i went for a 28-1 run with stall). For the record, I did not use stereotypical UU stall, but rather Omastar / Offensive Scarf Rotom / Light Screen Chansey / Drapion / Slowking / Hitmontop. Between Oma + Top + Rotom (who revenged Torterra with HP Ice) I had most every physical attacker covered, and Chansey + Slowking + Drapion as a special core with Light Screen support was absolutely fantastic.

I played a bit of offense and such as well, but overall I think I enjoyed playing stall much more in UU because I could still be innovative AND successful and the same time while playing it, which is much harder to do in OU stall.

In UU I always play Offense, cause I like the fast game. Sometimes I play Heavy Offense but Heavy Offense isn't so good in UU like in OU imo.

I believe stall is the most effective form of play in the UU environment, not many people utilize it. Including me. Haha.

I play an offensive team with bulkier Pokemon (such as Arcanine, Tangrowth) who usually only focus on hitting the opponent hard. The typical wall that may be on my team is Registeel but even he has sweeping capabilities with Curse / Metal Claw

-Terywj

I play offense most of the time. I might have some defensive pokemon on my teams but mostly rely on offense. Stall is boring I also am a horrible stall player. I have tried stall and it seems i dont have the patience to do it. So it seems offense is my main play style. I think stall is hard to do now in uu but still can be done with the addition of gallade.

From experience and from the ladder I beleive stall is the best for rising the ranks as they are even finding ways past Gallade. I however find stall exceptionally boring. I play alot of balanced teams. Because they have more fun then just stalling or continuing to rape with allout attacks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)