Project UU Teambuilding Competition -- Week 9: Arcanine-Hisui (CLOSED UNTIL SHIFTS)

Rae

valiance and vigor
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
hi there gang! this probably goes without saying based off of the inactivity, but the teambuilding comp has been off because of the nearing DLC tier shifts, but fret not! We will actually be doing a special round the same day that the dlc drops!

In the meantime, please enjoy your week!

Rae

valiance and vigor
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Alright! Now that bans are out of the way for now, and my uni schedule has started to come to an end, we can resume with the project! sorry about the holdup!

Week 3 - Garganacl

1696990748027.png

This giant block of salt has proven to be a tough nut to crack for a number of players, and for good reason. With the possibility of Curse and Iron Defense sets, as well as the rare Block set, this behemoth can shut down offensive powerhouses and attempt to sweep itself. Incredibly bulky, fantastic Tera potential and an amazing ability, Garganacl is nothing to sneeze at!

You will all have 5 days to show off a team featuring Garganacl! Best of luck to all!!​

https://pokepast.es/2b3bec29485860bc

:hydreigon: is on this team because I wanted to try it out, well its a standard :choice specs: set with FC > u-turn to hit fairies such as tera dirge, tera gastrodon, and be able to midground garg with its tera fairy as well. This team tries to support it as best as possible.

:gastrodon-east: spread allows it to live 4 hit scale shot and a eq at +2 which allows it to revenge kill or to get another hit in. This set is tera fairy to be able to scout hydreigon on what it wants to do as it can tank a specs dark pulse and fire back with an ice beam as well to boot. Tera fairy also gives it several good MU"s in being able to take on fighting attacks from iron hands, close combat zapdos-g, phys def kommo-o, breloom as it can allow you to get another attack in. This is almost the MVP of the team

:garganacl: use is mainly to either late game clean with tera water, or to be able to come early game and throw salt cure around chipping down foes like torn-t, amoonguss, donphan, treads, mandi, shocks, and other mons for a late game sweep. Tera water I like for ceruledge cc, SD scizor in which u can challenge it with ID, being able to take on DD mence, and more.

:skeledirge: is a funny pokemon because ive never seen a person use tera fairy + tera blast so far.. this allows it to check and not be setup fother for mence, hydreigon, kommo-o, have a way to threaten hoopa, quav, and zapdos-g that can otherwise nuke it. This spread also gives it a 2nd jumpoint and 8 speed allows it to duel itself better and outspeed pokemon trying to creep on it

:tornadus-therian: is a great pokemon! with knock off and u-turn it can force a lot of progress by removing things such as garg lefties, gastro's item, alo boots or helmet, heatran lefties, maybe mandibuzz's boots, rotom-w lefties or other pokemon who may try to switch into it. With its great speed and typing it allows me to pivot into meowscarada flower trick and see what i should do from there. This is also the fastest pokemon on the team aside from booster treads and I chose bleakwind storm > hurricane because it allows a speed drop on many crucicial pokemon like garchomp trying to boost, what about a scarfer like hydreigon, or maybe even slow down smth like torn-t, meow, gengar, scarf hoopa to be slower than hydreigon

:iron treads: is an amazing utility. This is literally excadrill and provides a lot for the team. It sets up rocks, can spin and be able to revenge kill a lot of pokemon thanks to :booster energy: (it used to be lefties but i think booster is better). I dont think knock is neccessary since I feel ice spinner is more useful on this slot to be able to KO chomp or threaten it to make sure its not free setup

Garganacl spikestack:
https://pokepast.es/f5f894d861139918

:ogerpon: This set is the traditional stab+Knock+ encore moveset, but this time with spikes! While this may be a strange choice at first glance, as Meowscarada is currently quiet popular, it lacks one trait that makes ogerpon so much better for this team: Defiant. While it doesn't threaten out as many mons as Meowscarada, it does deter most defog attempts, and encores them for the +4 boost and sweeps after tera.

:heatran: Is the stealth rocker and status spreader, providing valuable utility against u-turners/rain cores(with tera) and supporting the teams bulk. This set also has a flexible 4th moveslot, as you can chose between will-o-wisp to punish physical attackers for staying in more, tera blast grass if you're itsy about garganacl, protect for scouting, and taunt if you want to murder stall. The speed investment is to outspeed 252 speed ada Ursaluna, survive one max attack mienshao high jump kick in case of an emergency and max bulk.

:iron treads: Iron treads provides hazard control and offenses. Since the team already has enough Thundurus-T answers and chomp/kommo-o have left the tier, iron head became more usefull as a strong option against G-Weezing, Tera fairy mons, and flinch shenaningans. Its possible to replace knock off for ice spinner if you feel itsy against thundurus though.

:basculegion-f: Provides spinblocking and speed control. It's the more immediatly threatening of the 2(3) spinblockers on the team, and provides a ridiculous amount of special damage, even while being scarfed. It is a very basic scarf set, with the exception of being tera ice instead of tera water, as I thought the extra water damage was negligible and getting the OHKO on Thundy and 2HKO on vest torn was more important for the surprise factor.

:garganacl: Is a set up sweeper/chip damage dealer that comes in on a lot of more passive mons and mons that it resists for free and start its unstoppable sweep. With tera ghost it removes its fighting weakness and spinblocks, while sitting on foes like Iron treads forever. It also really appreciates the extra chip provided by the hazards accrued over the course of the game.

:sinistcha: Is the second set up sweeper, patching up its defensive downsides with calm mind and strength sap. It's also EVd to outspeed 252 Iron hands, which otherwise could blow it up with ice punch. Tera steel to become more generally sturdy, however tera water can help against rain teams, even thought it handles them without tera already.

https://pokepast.es/ca7555a87555c507
Ya girl has returned to UU to make the most unhinged teams you've ever seen just like last time. This team here uses Garga as an impressive special wall as part of a sand build. Everything is self explanatory, Mandibuzz is a defogger and pivot, Hippo sets rocks and sand while phasing threats, Garganacl is here as a massive special wall under the sand. Houndstone is also here to add some teeth to the team with it's new Poltergeist STAB from the DLC, and the team is rounded off with Amoonguss and Rotom-W to spread status and control sweepers while also potentially allowing in dangerous teammates. Garga is a steel type tera on this team since it's the team's main Draco Meteor sponge, steel also makes Garganacl resistant to grass and immune to clear smog, letting it take on common Garga soft-checks like the always-critting Meowscarada and Amoonguss. Furthermore, it retains it's sandstorm immunity. It also holds the covert cloak so it can use opposing Garganacl as setup fodder. Biggest threat to the team is Crawdaunt clicking a button, but most of the team can barely squeak out raw 1v1s bar Geist locked Houndstone, Garga, and Hippo, the latter two needing to use Tera to not get erased. Hippo's water Tera can also make it a solid pokemon into rain, resisting water while resetting the sand against rain sweepers.
I'm a Garganacl maniac, so I could have posted anything, thus, I wanted to post something different than what most people were doing with it.

Last edited:

Rae

valiance and vigor
And so, smallsmallrose is our winner, and all of these teams are henceforth invalid! won’t have anyone stealing teams from here, will we?

That aside, onto Week 4!

Week 4 - Ogerpon

:sv/ogerpon:

We obviously have to give the primary DLC Mon the spotlight for this week, being the adorable Ogerpon! With a fantastic movepool that mirrors the amazing Meowscarada’s, access to plenty of utility and the ability to get a free speed boost with Tera, Ogerpon is nothing to be laughed at! This Pokémon excels on bulky offense, but I’ll be interested in seeing what our competitors cook up this round!

You all have 5 days to make a banger Ogerpon team, good luck!​

https://pokepast.es/175f20eca0471782

this is an offensive team that plays around to its strengths and with a FWG core we can put out a lot of pressure with volt turn and offensive mons like lokix, h-arc, and ogrepon

H-arc and torn-t allow ogrepon to not be pressured by mons like amoonguss, meow, chestnaught, loom, torn-t, and skeledirge which can eat its attacks and cause trouble

iron treads is a great revenge killer esp with booster and is a great stop for things like dd mence, quaq, non scarf gengar, thundy-t, scarf hoopa, etc. It also is able to spin and knock off helmet, lefties, and boots which can make it much easier for a tera ogrepon late game sweep

lokix is another mon that works with the team well.. lokix gets countered by things like alomomola, moltres, salamence, weezing-g, flame body heatran, amoonguss which can be solved by team with ogrepon and h-arc pairing together to go ham on them

Rotom-w is a great pivot for the team as the biggest appeal of it is to lure in gastrodon which has been running phys def on ladder more often to lure it in with tera blast grass. It is also a great stop option for SD scizor which can be a pain for the team on occasion

Queen of Bean

is a Community Contributor
UUPL Champion
:ogerpon: :mandibuzz: :scizor: :gastrodon: :mienshao: :bellibolt:

This is a volt turn balance team centred around getting ogerpon or scizor to sweep. Ogerpon and scizor both dont like flying types very much and i wanted to have mandibuzz as my flying type instead of something like an av torn because it provides hazard control so i added bellibolt as a good flying type check that canget static paralysis off onto torn and things so the sweepers have an easier time. Then i plopped on gastrodon and mienshao as glue because gastrodon has stealth rocks and also is a rain check and ground type and mienshao is a felt like a good scarfer for this team. I felt the team was a bit weak to iron handino so i made ogerpon encore instead of u-turn which i had before. Feel free to steal this if you want but be wary of iron handino. :bellipog:

https://pokepast.es/c25bb6ca7d24e31c
Picking a lead for Hazard 5 guys HO can often be a hassle. Meowscarada is elite, but it gets outsped by Booster Energy leads and ties with other Meowscarada. Enter Ogerpon, with the occassional tera speed boost, she can always guarantee hazards, go for extra layers, deny the opponent's setup, and set the tempo for the game. Knock Off further messes with any pokemon that comes in and Wood Hammer is Ogerpon's strongest option, allowing her to maybe gain an early KO while the recoil makes KOing herself to bring in another pokemon safely.
Sandy Shocks is here to complete the hazard setup with Stealth Rock, and if it uses the tera, it can gain perfect STAB coverage and abuse it's Booster Energy speed boost to do heavy damage to teams, it's also a fine one-time switch into the likes of Tornadus and Thundurus if I conserve it's Booster Energy, letting it protect the team if the sweepers aren't snowballed enough to handle these themselves
Bisharp acts as a Defog deterrent, switching in quite handly to both Mandibuzz and Galarian Weezing, the two most common defoggers. It can use tera fire to avoid Will-O-Wisps from Galarian Weezing and additionally setup on it as well. Its also a very scary cleaner regardless of if it grabs the defiant boost. Its great at taking advantage of Meowscarada as well.
Quaquaval acts as an offensive resist to a ton of priority moves like Aqua Jet, Bullet Punch, and Sucker Punch and stops Weavile from being as threatening. I chose Tera Flying on it for a powerful STAB Brave Bird that erases Sinistcha and Amoonguss, the two best resists to Quaquaval's dual STAB, as well as acting as a powerful STAB move that a lot of other fighting resists are weak or neutral to. Quaquaval on HO should be pretty self-explanatory, an incredible Pokemon at snowballing out of control.
Next is Gengar, it blocks Rapid Spin and can Will-O-Wisp the common spinners, Will-O-Wisp also giving it an option for Sucker Punch users. Its a great, fast attacker as well that can mess with a lot of bulky pokemon. Tera is ghost to boost the power of Hex when needed, but this is the tera I use the least by far.
Last up is Iron Leaves, who uses Booster Energy for speed and SD to be a lights-out scenario in the lategame. Tera fighting changes it's bug weakness into a resistance while letting Close Combat, it's most powerful move, become STAB.

Biggest threat is Lokix, its often Boots so it dodges the stacked hazards of this team and the team doesn't have a particularly great time handling constant Tinted Lens First Impressions. A lot of the team can take at least one from full though except for Ogerpon, who admittedly might lose out on a layer, and Iron Leaves, who can take it with tera and attempt to surprise the Lokix. Gengar can also handle first impression and create lose-lose situations with Will-O-Wisp if it tries to sucker punch. The other big threat is Scarf Meowscarada, but Bisharp has little issue with it and most of the team members here can take advantage of the moves it commonly locks into. Quaquaval and Iron Leaves can also bait it by teraing into a move Meowscarada would be super effective against them with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)