Typing: The Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Inputs, round 2!

Since most ideas are already taken, I’d like to get a bit creative and propose the plasma type then. Despite having like very few representatives, I think it’d be an interesting type that isn’t really covered by any combination of types in all honesty.

Potential Pokémon
Solrock (Rock / Plasma)
Rotom (Plasma / x)
Amaura & Aurorus (Rock / Plasma)
Zeraora (Plasma & Electric)

Potential Moves
Aurora Beam
Heat Wave
Simple Beam
Ion Deluge
Aurora Veil
Plasma Fists

Potential Properties
Offensively Strong Against: Flying & Ice
Offensively Weak Against: Fire, Electric, & Plasma
Defensively Strong Against: Fire, Electric, & Plasma
Defensively Weak Against: Ice
That would be really cool, but my problem with it is that there's not that much pokemons that could get that type. I would like to see more examples!

I think an interesting concept could be the cyber or technological type (open to ideas on what to call it, maybe even Virtual or something), a type for Pokemon that appear to be inorganic or manufactured in some way. I feel there are actually a decent number of candidates when you dig deep into the pool of Pokemon

Potential Pokemon
Porygon line
Magnemite line
Voltorb line
Metagross line
Genesect
Mewtwo
Ditto maybe?
Bronzong
Castform
Deoxys
Reuniclus
Klinklang?
Klefki?
There's probably even a handful more I'm not thinking of

Potential Moves
Tri-Attack, Sharpen, Conversion, Lock-On
Signal Beam maybe?
Charge Beam
Some other stuff, there's way too many moves to look through

Potential Properties
strong against: psychic, fairy, ghost, steel
weak against: normal, fighting, grass, cyber
Tech type... that's actually pretty neat, and it's original! Really nice!

Mineral type
Why the heck this exists? So simple, for some reason GameFreak things a bunch of boldors (a.k.a Rock-type) are the same as stuff as diamonds and other kind of pretty gems, so that's the reasoning of its existance.
-Weak to: Mineral, Steel, Fighting, Water (?)
-Resists: Grass, Fire, Ice, Bug, Flying, Rock, Electric (?)
-Stronk against: Mineral, Fire, Flying, Ice, Dark.
-Resisted by: Steel, Water, idk what more :p
Reasoning: Weak to itself cause diamonds can only cut themselves with other diamonds, to steel cause pickaxes can be made of steel, weak to Fighting cause most of them are crystal based and can be easily broken up with punches n stuff. Resistant to Grass cause it isn't organic and plant life cannot proccess it, to Fire cause aren't affected by fire n that kind of things, to Flying cause birds cannot see crystals neither break them, Rock because crystals are harder. More stuff l8er.
Potential Moves:
-Physical:
Diamond Storm.
-Special: Power Gem, Dazzling gleam.
Potential Pokemon: Carbink, Diancie, Steelix, Roggenrola line, Cryogonal, Staryu line, Ampharos-Mega, Sableye (& Mega), Vespiquen, Nihilego, Necrozmas, Minior, basically anything that learns Power Gem lol.
Cool, but right now, as Pika Xreme said, it's really close to rock type, and I don't really think it needs a cut-off fot the moment. But still, with the lot of examples you gave us, I can see how it could become a real type.

Brutal Type
There are many Pokémon that are simply brutal, often from anger, and thus use their powerful strength (or if a Special attacker, shoot like there's no tomorrow). We do not talk about the straightforward, usually heroic Fighting-type or the stereotyped-as-evil and pragmatic Dark-type; we talk about the Pokémon who are just plain brutal.

For further details, here's how Brutal Type would stand out from Fighting, Normal and Dark-types.
  • Fighting focuses on honor and straightforward combat, Dark instead use pragmatism and dishonest strategies, and Normal had nothing too special.
  • Brutal is all about strength and violence. Not about honor, not about pragmatism, and being violent is not always a normal thing.
  • This means that Pokémon who resorts to only violence, are viciously aggressive, or are constantly angry will likely to be brutal. No honor, no cunning strategy and go over-the-top than attacking normally.
  • Since brutality tend to be risky, we can put emphasis on making the moves strong and versatile, but also very reckless, as most moves will have notable drawback.

Suggested/Theorized Type Effectiveness
Strong Against:
Fairy, Normal, Psychic
Resisted By: Bug, Dragon
Weak To: Dragon, Bug
Resists: Fairy, Normal, Psychic, Ground

Type Effectiveness Reasoning:
Brutes will not care about cuteness (which Fairy is often associated with) and will not hesitate to attack normal and intelligent persons. That said, they will get into trouble when they comes face to face with Bug (swarm of bugs can kill even a strong brute) and Dragon (dragons are generally stronger than real life brutes). Ground resistance is that brutal person will only get angrier when getting sand or mud to the face, although not without damage, especially from earthquake.

Potential Pokémon: Gyarados (Normal only; Water/Brutal), Fearow (Brutal/Flying), Raticate (Brutal or Normal/Brutal), Alolan Raticate (Brutal/Dark), Primeape (Fighting/Brutal), Pinsir (Bug/Brutal), Tauros (Brutal), Feraligatr (Water/Brutal), Mega Steelix (Not normal Steelix; Steel/Brutal, change Ability if necessary), Tyranitar (Both normal and Mega; Rock/Brutal), Beautifly (Bug/Brutal), Carvanha and Sharpedo (Water/Brutal, also applies to Mega Sharpedo), Zangoose (Normal/Brutal), Seviper (Poison/Brutal), Mega Glalie (not normal Glalie; Ice/Brutal), Huntail (Water/Brutal), Rampardos (Rock/Brutal), Rhyperior (Ground/Brutal), Pignite and Emboar (Fire/Brutal), Throh and Sawk (Fighting/Brutal), Darmanitan (regular only; Fire/Brutal), Pangoro (Dark/Brutal), Tyrantrum (Dragon/Brutal), Crabominable (Brutal/Ice), Lycanroc-Midnight (Rock/Brutal), Guzzlord (Brutal/Dragon), Zarora (Electric/Brutal)

Potential Moves: Buffed Strength (90 BP but no effect), Mega Punch, Mega Kick (85% Accuracy), Crush Claw, Take Down, Fury Attack, Headbutt, Skull Bash, Crunch, Bite, Brutal Swing (95 BP), Special Brutal Moves (one that is 95 BP and 10% to decrease Attack by 1 stage, another that is 120 BP but have 80% accuracy, and have 10% chance of lower Special Defense by 1 stage).
This one looks a lot like beast type, but with a greater range. I really like the concept of doing something between three different types.

Light Type

-Weak to: Bug, Dark, Psychic
-Resists: Fire, Fairy, Electric
-Strong against: Dark, Ghost, Fairy
-Resisted by: Psychic, Bug, Rock
-Immune: Ice

Potential Pokémon
Ampharos line (Light/Electric)
Lanturn line (Water/Light)
Shiinotic line (Grass/Light)
Latias (Dragon/Light)
Lumineon line(Water/Light)
Volbeat (Bug/Light)
Sunflora (Grass/ Light)
Necrozma (Light)
Solrock (Light/Rock)
Lunatone (Light/Rock)
Cryogonal (Ice/Light)
Beheeyem line(Psychic/Light)

Moves
- Light of Ruin
- Light Screen
- Flash
- Signal Beam
- Photon Geyser
- Prismatic Laser
- Reflect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Comet Punch
- Glare
- Morning Sun
- Solar Beam
- Spotlight
- Tri Attack
- Aurora Beam
- Solar Blade
It's banned from this slate. Better luck next time!

Mirror type
Unlike some other typings, Mirror type can't be defined as "cut-off for another typing" because it's more related to something abstract. It's a type about mirroring, copying and of course, the most important, reflecting. A lot of Pokemon would benefit from it, especially because it will probably be a good defensive typing (Real mirrors reflect heat and light, so Fire and Fairy resistances, etc). For example, Carbink would no longer compete with Regirock, Golem, Gigalith, Aggron, etc for the defensive Rock-type niche, with Mirror/Fairy typing it would be solid (no pun intended). Same thing with Avalugg or Cryogonal, who wouldn't be simply defensive Ice-types anymore. Mirror would serve as a typing that doesn't hit many things super-effectively, but isn't resisted by many things either. A neutral STAB, maybe similar to Normal.

Plus, if we add Light type (we probably will at one point), then Mirror type will be the opposite to it, and be immune to it.

Possible/Example Pokemon: Carbink, Diancie, Mega Sableye, Mega Steelix, Vanilluxe line, Alolan Sandslash line, Avalugg, Cryogonal, Grumpig line, Necrozma, Starmie line, Dialga, Palkia (have a reflective part in their bodies like polished ice or a jewel)
Wobbuffet line (closely related to Mirror Coat)
Mr. Mime (closely related to Reflect/Light Screen)
Chatot (closely related to Mirror Move)
Electrode (learns Light Screen+Mirror Coat by level-up, and "mirrors" Pokebals)
Mew, Ditto (closely related to Transform, mirroring/copying the opponent)
NOT Mirror Pokemon: Minior, Steelix, Lunatone, Solrock, Espeon, Xatu, Aegislash, Ferrothorn, Mega Ampharos
Example Moves: Mimic, Mirror Move, Mirror Shot, Mirror Coat, Transform, Copycat, Reflect, Light Screen, Barrier, Reflect Type
When talking about original typings, this is the one. I really like the fact you gave us a ton of examples.

Little reminder. You have about 36 hours before the end of the slate. Will we be opening the sub phase after.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Artificial type

Artificial would work for every man-made Pokémon, or the ones whose the body is mainly made of something artificial, such as Mimikyu and Banette. Ones with unnatural interference also apply

Defensive chart for Artificial:
Weaknesses: Poison, Psychic, Bug
Resistances: Normal, Dragon, Artificial, Steel
Immunities: Fairy

Offensive chart for Artificial:
Super Effective: Electric, Dragon, Fairy, Steel
Resists: Normal, Psychic, Artificial

Banette & Mega - Ghost / Artificial
Mimikyu - Ghost / Artificial
Porygon line - Artificial
Mew - Artificial / Psychic
Mewtwo & MMY - Artificial / Psychic
MMX - Artificial / Fighting
Silvally and Null - Artificial
Magearna - Artificial / Steel
Genesect - Artificial / Steel
Golett & Golurk - Ground / Artificial
Trubbish & Garbodor - Poison / Artificial
Voltorb & Electrode - Electric / Artificial
Baltoy & Claydol - Ground / Artificial
Castform & Rainy, Sunny, Snowy - Normal / Artificial, Water / Artificial, Fire / Artificial, Ice / Artificial
Grimer & Muk (Kanto) - Poison / Artificial
Deoxys (All) - Psychic / Artificial
Wormadam-Trash - Bug / Artificial
Yamask & Cofaggrigus - Ghost / Artificial

charizard8888

Catch The Wave
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Rubber!
The Rubber typing would be not only associated with the elasticity but also the things made of rubber too for example your rubber shoes. There are quite some Pokemon fitting in this type. It could gain an advantage against Fairy-types due to rubber being new, elastic and ignoring the fairies spell while also having a type being super-effective against Water and help in balancing that.

Potential Pokemon:
  • Deoxys
  • Deoxys-Attack
  • Deoxys-Speed
  • Deoxys-Defense
  • Ditto
  • Grimer
  • Muk
  • Trubbish
  • Garbodor
  • Guzzlord
  • Poiple (Looks a bit rubbery to me)
  • Inkay
  • Malamar
  • Misdreaveaus
  • Mismagius
  • Spiritomb [Not sure about this]
  • Lickytung
  • Lickylicky
  • Dusion
  • Reuniculus
  • Sliggoo
  • Surskit

• Deoxys can go part Alien / Space type in future with Rubber.
  • Ditto's typing doesn't matter mostly but it fits in better than Normal-type.

Potential Type Effectiveness:

Weaknesses: Fire, Fighting, Grass, Dragon
  • Fire can burn rubber so it's more effective.
  • Rubber bands break when stretched a lot which can be done by Fighting-types.
  • Rubber is mostly biodegradable so nature wins over Rubber.
  • Dragons are brutal and can smack holes into rubber, what I mean to say is they can break past it's elasticity with power.
Resistances: Poison, Electric, Fairy, Bug, Water
  • Rubber can't be poisoned. (Maybe make it Immune)
  • Rubber mostly insulates Electric conductivity.
  • Fairy as explained above.
  • Bug as bugs can't get past rubber I think.
  • Rubber is mostly Water resistance* in real life. (It generally isn't but it can be made to be waterproof)
Super-Effective against: Fairy, Electric, Water, Ground
  • Fairy because Rubber hits with no mercy no life.
  • Electric since if a Rubber breaks into an Electric circuit's path it breaks.
  • Water for various reasons: Rubber can obstruct the flow of water, Rubber can store Water in it, Rubber absorbs water and swells up to become more powerful.
  • Ground as Rubber plants penetrate through the Ground and then grow. (Just like Grass-type but this is for Rubber as it's own type)
Not very effective against: Fire, Steel, Flying
  • Fire since Rubber can get burnt as it tries to hit Fire.
  • Steel is tough enough to take Rubber hits.
  • Rubber can't easily hit Flying types unless it's made into a slingshot which would still be hit with a Rock. (Not that sure about this one)

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The Healer type!

Too many times are mons that are heavily associated with Healing are slapped with a lame "Psychic", "Normal" or "Fairy" typing. Thus, to help branch out the saturated typings, Healer type was born!r

The Blissey line (obvious reasons)
Audino
Clefable - Fairy/Healer
Celebi - Grass/Healer
Shaymin - Grass/Healer
Alomomola - Water/Healer
Jirachi - Steel/Healer
Chimecho line
Corsola - Healer/Rock
Aromatisse - Fairy/Healer
Togekiss line - (Replaces fairy)
Altaria line - Normal/Healer -> Dragon/Healer

Potential Type Effectiveness:

Weaknesses: Dragon, Dark, Bug
  • Dragon: Dragons are big scary monsters that basically bust up lil healers
  • Dark: Corrupt thoughts can undermine even the most sincere of efforts
  • Bug: Bugs bring lots of disease
Resistances: Fairy (Immune!), Fighting, Grass, Poison (Immune!), Water, Ghost
  • Fairy: Fairies cannot do harm to anything that only seeks to spread kindness
  • Grass: Healers use herbs to heal, so why would it take alot of damage from them?
  • Poison: Healers live to heal from ailments and illness. It helps if you cannot be affected by them.
  • Water: See Grass
  • Fighting: Instead of endless wars, the hearts of men are instead healed to keep peace.
  • Ghost: If it heals for a living it should be able to ward off death
Super-Effective Against: Poison, Grass, Water
  • Poison: It heals poison sooooooooo
  • Water: Basically what is said in resistances
  • Grass: ditto above
Weak Against: Steel (Immune!), Ghost (Immune!), Rock, Fire, Bug
  • Steel: Cannot heal metal.
  • Ghost: They are already dead, so healing is not an option.
  • Rock: Its Steel, but to a lesser degree
  • Fire: Fire only brings destruction, the opposite of healing.
  • Bug: Bugs have short lifespans so don't care for health.
Healer is generally a very superb defensive type, but does not much offensively, as that's not the purpose of a healer. With two Immunities and three very solid resistances (and Serperior), Pokemon with the Healer typing can switch in on alot of the metagame. This is balanced out by Two types being itself immune to Healer, and three other typings getting much needed switchin opportunities.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Official post

Concept submission are now over. It is time for...
Slate #1 (First new type!) - Concept vote

You can vote for any of the concept that has been submitted except for yours (no selves-votes) and light type. Remember you can only vote for 1 type. The typing with the most votes will win! With that, good luck to everyone!

(P.S. sorry for the approximate syntax and choice of words, I'm really tired right now)

We need to consider balance here. Usually when I design my first type, I keep a few things in mind:

Does Ice Resist it? Does rock?

Is grass or Rock weak to it?

Is it weak to something with > 4 weaknesses?

Does it make a normally brutal type combo less effective? Can it when paired effectively do things such as drop Marshadow out of Ubers by resisting Ghost/Fight for instance.

Is it SE vs. Electric?

Is it maybe weak to Dragon?

As you can see, these are considerations I always think of in type design because I want a balanced type chart where every type is fair to a degree.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
We need to consider balance here. Usually when I design my first type, I keep a few things in mind:

Does Ice Resist it? Does rock?

Is grass or Rock weak to it?

Is it weak to something with > 4 weaknesses?

Does it make a normally brutal type combo less effective? Can it when paired effectively do things such as drop Marshadow out of Ubers by resisting Ghost/Fight for instance.

Is it SE vs. Electric?

Is it maybe weak to Dragon?

As you can see, these are considerations I always think of in type design because I want a balanced type chart where every type is fair to a degree.
This is what we would consider during the submission phase, where we submit type effectiveness of the winner type. The type effectiveness should still make logic in mind, but we certainly make sure to not leave balance behind.

Last edited:
This is what we would consider during the submission phase, where we submit type effectiveness of the winner type. The type effectiveness should still make logic in mind, but we certainly make sure to not leave balance behind.
Then I will fight any type that tips the balance.

Healer for instance is SE vs Grass. Only like 2 types fix Electric's generous defensive nature of having only one weakness and how many types combo to circumvent the dangerous nature of certain Pokemon who dominate OU or would not be UBER if their STAB combo had more resistors.

Oh and vote

Mirror

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Then I will fight any type that tips the balance.

Healer for instance is SE vs Grass. Only like 2 types fix Electric's generous defensive nature of having only one weakness and how many types combo to circumvent the dangerous nature of certain Pokemon who dominate OU or would not be UBER if their STAB combo had more resistors.

Oh and vote

Mirror
Healer being super effective against Grass shouldn't be too much of a worry since its a terrible offensive typing overall

Observe this type chart from Rijon.

Some of those colorations mean 4x effective. Look at ice and electric: they still have one resist/weakness respectively. If Fairy didn't come out, Poison would still have 1 SE type. To me, this type chart is horsecrap, but that would be insulting horsecrap. It's not balanced at all.

On point, all types should have an offensive niche and a defensive niche. This shouldn't be objected too. Think, there was tak of using Ribombee with HP Steel to get around Diancie, though I could be remembering wrong.

My biggest mission is for there to be some niche for every type to one day see use as coverage to some degree.

In the original thread, Ice was on the verge of being SE vs all 3 types. Freeze Dry hit 8 types SE!

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader

Observe this type chart from Rijon.

Some of those colorations mean 4x effective. Look at ice and electric: they still have one resist/weakness respectively. If Fairy didn't come out, Poison would still have 1 SE type. To me, this type chart is horsecrap, but that would be insulting horsecrap. It's not balanced at all.

On point, all types should have an offensive niche and a defensive niche. This shouldn't be objected too. Think, there was tak of using Ribombee with HP Steel to get around Diancie, though I could be remembering wrong.

My biggest mission is for there to be some niche for every type to one day see use as coverage to some degree.

In the original thread, Ice was on the verge of being SE vs all 3 types. Freeze Dry hit 8 types SE!
Ok but we're not in Discussion phase yet. Let the vote end before bringing this stuff up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)