Typing: The Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Approved by Ludicrousity

Typing: The Mod

Playable on http://dragonheaven.psim.us/!
Greetings, player, and welcome to Typing: The Mod! Here, we are going to create new typings and balance existing ones. To achieve that, we will be going through two distinct type of slates, alternately. Those are new type slates and balancing slates.

New type slates are separated in three phases: Concept phase, (7 days) Submission phase (7 days) and Distribution phase (4 days).

Concept phase:
Where we will be submitting concepts and names for a brand new typing.
When submitting, keep in mind that you have to bring a little reasoning about how your concept would change the metagame. You don’t have to right an essay, two/three sentences are largely enough. Also, you can only submit for one single concept.

This will be followed by a little voting phase (last 2 days) to get to know which typing will be chosen. You can only vote for one concept, and it can’t be yours (no self-votes for that).
Also, if you feels that a new typing is unnecessary for that slate in particular, you can always vote for no new type. If that happens to win, we will directly go to balancing slate.
[Typing name]
[Reasoning on the typing, name a few example of pokemon/moves that would fit with it]

Example:

Cosmic
Cosmic type would be an incredible addition to pokemon. There is already a ton of pokemon that would fit with this type (cresselia, beheeyhem, deoxys, clefable, etc...) and a ton of moves (gravity, meteor mash, meteors, etc...). Since a lot of psychic type could easily gain that type, and since there's a lot of psychic type, that would help to differeciate them in their uses and to shine without always being in competition with other psychic types.
[Typing Name]

Submission phase.
Here, we will be submitting many things, so this new typing won't just be a name. Not only do you have to submit the matchups of the typing, you also get to create moves, abilities and items linked to that type in particular, change typing of pokemons (and sometimes their abilities and stats if you want them to be usable) and modify pre-existing things if it makes sense flavorwise, like changing the typing of existing moves. You can submit for any amount of things you want, just be sure not to be copying previous posts, keep all your submission in one single post and don’t go too over the top. If anything is too broken or just doesn’t make sense, me or any council members can ask for the submission to be reworked.

This will be followed by a voting phase (last 2 days). You can vote for anything except for only one matchup, and selves-votes are allowed. Everything that gets more voice than 1/2 of the people voting will be added.
Matchup
Offensive:
2x against [types]
1/2 against [types]
0x against [types]
Defensive:
2x from [types]
1/2 from [types]
0x from [types]
Explanation/Niche: xxxx

[Move name]
Typing:
x
Category: x
Base Power: x
Accuracy: x
Power Point: x
Effect: xx
Z-Effect: xx

[Ability name]
Effect:
xx

[Item name]
Effect:
xx

[Pokemon name]
[Old typing] => [New typing]
Stats changes:
(optional)
Ability changes: (optional)
[Member's] Matchup
Move
Move
Ability
Ability
Item
Item
[Member's] [Pokemon]
(Type Change)

Distribution phase
This phase is only voting. Here, you can vote for which pokemon should get the moves and abilities who won during submission phase. The voting system works like it too.
[Move name]
[Pokemon], [Pokemon], [Pokemon], [Pokemon]

[Ability name]
[Pokemon (Replaces x Ability)], [Pokemon (Replaces x Ability)]
Balancing slates works differently than new type slates. It’s shorter and only in two phases, but there’s a lot of matter to talk about in those two: Discussion phase (7 days) and Voting phase (3 days).

Discussion phase:
Easy stuff. Discuss about you want to change about typings and how you would balance the typing chart. Be sure to make your idea clears when you want them to be chosen. Those idea can go from simple matchup modifications to entirely new moves: it’s up to you to find the ideas! Only restriction: always be sure that what you're proposing helps the typing's niche in general more than one specific pokemon.
What rock type really lacks to be a good offensive typing is, well, good offensive moves. Outside of stone edge, which only works 4 time out of 5, there is nothing that the majority of offensive rock types can use. That's why I thought that adding some kind of rock-typed Superpower clone could really be interesting. It could keep the same stats, since it would work the same way. Do you guys like the idea? What would you improve?

We all know that steel type is kind of OP when it comes to defense. I think that adding one more weakness wouldn't harm it too much, but would instead let it be more balanced. I was thinking that bug type could work as being strong against it. First, bug needs more offensive presence, and that would be one easy way to give it that. Second, it fits flavorwise. In the early days of computers, bugs often did nests in machinery and circuitry, which caused what we call 'bugs' on computers today. What do you think about this?

Ice body is a typing a whole lot of ice types pokemon gets, but it's unfortunately kind of useless. If we could be able to buff it, maybe it would help some ice-typed pokemons, since we all know it really struggles to take a place in the upper tiers. Maybe by making the healing permanent instead of just inside hail we could make this ability usable. What do think about it?

Voting phase:
Here, a council member (i.e. me or Pika Xreme) will be listing the posssible things for you to vote after the results of the discussion phase. The voting system will be the same for the votings in the new type submission phases.
[Type => Type (x?)]
[New move]
[Modified move]
[New ability]
[Modified ability]
[Modified pokemon]

If you're not sure to understand everything, don't hesitate to ask questions. Also, always be sure to check the last official post made by a council member to know in which phase we are and what you can do.

Council
Gravity Monkey
Pika Xreme
Samtendo09

Icons for new types

(Thanks to Turthur1, DatHeatmor, PsuedoRidge and Brodaha for those awesome icons!)

Discord link: > https://discord.gg/Jx48PTF <

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

is a Top Artist
Viability Rankings

This is the VR for Typing: The Mod's OU. Therefore, it's based off regular OU, with few modifications from the mod and the meta around it.

=========================

Sample Teams

They would go here

Last edited:
Reactions: nv

Gravity Monkey

is a Top Artist
Official post

Slate #1 (First new type!) - Concept phase

Welcome, everyone, for this first ever slate of typing: the mod! From today, we will be starting the concept phase. Submit your ideas for new typings, their name, and be sure to provide some kind of explanation.

Also, to have a fresh new start, we are going to have a first new type different of the ones in Valmanway's The Next Type (I'll put a link later). That means no space, dinosaur or light type for this first slate — only for this first slate.

With that, let's get started!

EDIT: Look, here's a link: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-next-type-current-types-dinosaur-light-and-space.3507788/

Reactions: nv
So for a type I've wanted to see since forever, I'd say is Magic

Different than Fairy, I think Magic could be more interactive type chart shenanigans.

For instance, Magic could be like that one type weak to normal! And easily SE vs. Electric (energy overload)

Different to Fairy and Psychic, Magic is less in the mind and more by the books or even casting or mastering the elements. Magic is more study oriented than the meditative psychic or cutesy fairy. Besides which, I can only think of a few moves that need change... most of them are non-attack moves.

If my formatting is wrong, let me know.

Attacking:
SE: Electric, Ghost, Poison, Fairy
NVE: Ice, Grass, Dragon, Normal,

Defending:
Weak to: Psychic, Normal, Grass, Dragon, Dark
Resists: Ghost, Fairy, Electric, Water, Ice, Ground, Fire
Immune: Rock

When paired in a dual type correctly, Magic types can easily resist some powerful sweepers like Terrakion, Marshadow, Hawlucha and Mega Pinsir. Its resistance to the elements can really help a lot as built in bolt beam resistance goes far. Magic/Fairy (let's face it, there's lots of potential for the combo as is) resists dragon/fire, Water/Dragon and Kyurem's entire moveset outside of the rare Iron Head or Flash Cannon. Paired with a Ghost (a certain magus ghost if you will), the type immunity is grand with immunity to Rock/Ground/Ghost/Normal!

Delphox is defensively going enjoy removing all of his fire weaknesses and Stealth Rock Immunity.

Changed Moves: Magic Coat, Magic Bounce, Barrier, Tri Attack???

Last edited:
Spiritual
Description/Justification
: The Spiritual type could be a better fit for Pokemon that appear kind of monk-like or those that practice spiritual-like activities. Many of these Pokemon are already considered Psychic-type, and this would not only help differentiate them from other Psychic-types but also add some extra personality/flavor to these Pokemon. For example, whereas Psychic-types are afraid of bugs, ghosts, and the dark, Spiritual types might be more resilient - a better representation of mind-over-matter-type Pokemon.

Example Pokemon: Mega Alakazam, Xatu line, Lugia, Medicham line, Lake Trio, Oranguru, Lucario, Slowking, Darmanitan-Zen Mode
Example Moves: Calm Mind, Instruct, Meditate, Laser Focus, Stored Power, Aura Sphere, Focus Energy, Focus Blast

Potential Weaknesses: Psychic, Electric, Poison
Potential Resistances: Fighting, Ghost, Dark

Last edited:

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ayyy, this is out. cool.

New Type - Wind
Wind type would be a good way to differentiate between moves such as Hurricane and Brave Bird, and make a split between Pokemon that can actually fly and Pokemon that use the wind to float, such as Charizard and Drifblim.

Potential Pokemon - Hoppip Line, Drifloon Line, Rotom-Fan, Tornadus
Potential Moves - Razor Wind, Tailwind, Whirlwind, Hurricane, Gust, Defog, Twister

Potential Weaknesses - Wind?
Potential Resistances - Ground, Fighting

Plate Name - Gale Plate

Wave:
Waves are the transference of energy through matter and can be seen in phenomena such as sound waves and waves at the beach. There are several Pokemon whose design is based on sound as well as several moves. It could also help diversify some Normal Pokemon and Moves, particularly status moves. There are some Water types that can be differentiated from the rest of the Water thanks to their affinity with waves (think Mantine surfing from USUM). Moves that affect the movement of water rather than water itself will also become Wave type.

Also will only one concept type goes through to submission phase and then everyone will be submitting that same type?

Edit: Changed type from Sound to Wave.

Last edited:
Beast Type
There are a lot of Normal type Pokemon in the game which struggle because of the type's lack of offensive utility, and there are also a lot of mono-typed Pokemon which could really use a second STAB. A lot of these Pokemon are also based on vicious predators, interestingly, so the Beast type would really help give a lot of horrendously outclassed Pokemon some new life. Let's be specific here, though: This isn't for all Pokemon based off of animals, but only the more predatory and mammalian ones (no snakes). Beast type also has the opportunity to be another Poison-weak type if we choose to, since Poison could really use some help offensively. Some custom special moves would need to be created, though...

Example Pokemon: Entei, Raikou, Suicune, Stoutland, Ursaring, Beartic, Manectric, Feraligatr, Mightyena
NOT Beast Pokemon: Lopunny, Snorlax, Raticate, Arbok, Serperior, Tauros
Example Moves: Bite, Crunch, Howl, Roar, Growl, Glare, Super Fang, Hyper Fang, Odor Sleuth, Noble Roar, Rage, Thrash
Possible Weaknesses: Poison, Dragon, Steel, Fire
Possible Resistances: Ground, Fighting, Ice, Dark
Possibly Hits Super Effectively: Fairy, Fighting, Ground, Flying (cats eat lots of birds, foxes like chickens, etc)
Possibly Resisted By: Dragon, Steel, Poison, Ghost, Rock

While these are only possibilities and not guaranteed, these resistances/weaknesses grant a lot to the metagame in many ways. A resistance and advantage against Ground means more good checks to Zygarde that can't get wrecked by Thousand Arrows. A poison weakness, helping to bring a poor offensive type back into the meta. Hitting fairies super effectively helps fight against a frankly rather OP type. Beast also hits Landorus-T 4x super effectively and we're all sick of that thing by this point :P. It's also a buff to Dragons, which were really hurt by Fairy's introduction. Being resisted by Rock also helps out a type which is really bad defensively.

Last edited:
New Type - Wind
Let's work on this a bit.

Wind is an elemental type, so its best interactions would be as one.

So let's think of it that way: Air is not flying. Many Air types might not even be airborne! Let's think of it like that...

So up to me, Air or Wind, could look like this:

Defending
Potential Weaknesses - Wind, Ground, Dragon
Potential Resistances - Water, Flying, Ghost, Fight
Immunity: Fire!!! (Immune to burns from fire type sources only)

Attacking
Potential Weaknesses - Wind, Ghost, Fire, Ground, Flying, Fairy
Potential Resistances - Steel, Ice, Dragon, Electric, Poison, Bug, Fight
Immunity: Rock

Too much?? I mean, it does put a grand new spin on the meta. Earth and Air (Ground and Wind) being SE vs. each other is such an RPG concept, and Wind being immune to fire is due to its ability to put it out. Beating Ghosts is par for the course if Ghostbusters teaches us anything about ghost catching. Wind types tend to topple themselves too. Fairies have their wings torn apart and birds need to land. Dragons however are badass enough to brave the storm and beat them.Look, Dragon has been shitty as coverage, make it great again! Most of the resistors of wind are for balance reasons.

Also typing for the Johto Trio fits here as their manes seem very wind-like or even wind blown.

Let's work on this a bit.

Wind is an elemental type, so its best interactions would be as one.

So let's think of it that way: Air is not flying. Many Air types might not even be airborne! Let's think of it like that...

So up to me, Air or Wind, could look like this:

Defending
Potential Weaknesses - Wind, Ground, Dragon
Potential Resistances - Water, Flying, Ghost, Fight
Immunity: Fire!!! (Immune to burns from fire type sources only)

Attacking
Potential Weaknesses - Wind, Ghost, Fire, Ground, Flying, Fairy
Potential Resistances - Steel, Ice, Dragon, Electric, Poison, Bug, Fight
Immunity: Rock

Too much?? I mean, it does put a grand new spin on the meta. Earth and Air (Ground and Wind) being SE vs. each other is such an RPG concept, and Wind being immune to fire is due to its ability to put it out. Beating Ghosts is par for the course if Ghostbusters teaches us anything about ghost catching. Wind types tend to topple themselves too. Fairies have their wings torn apart and birds need to land. Dragons however are badass enough to brave the storm and beat them.Look, Dragon has been shitty as coverage, make it great again! Most of the resistors of wind are for balance reasons.

Also typing for the Johto Trio fits here as their manes seem very wind-like or even wind blown.
Doesn't really make sense for Air to be weak to Ground. Most Ground-type moves deal damage through one of two methods:
1. Blasting mud at an opponent. If you blast mud at something made of air, it'll go straight through and do nothing except push the air around a bit.
2. Causing the ground to shake so that opponents fall over and hurt themselves. Air is extremely light and extremely light things do not take much damage from falling over.
It also doesn't make sense for it to be weak to wind, either. If you take wind and add more wind, you get... stronger wind. So why is it taking massive damage?
On the other hand, adding water to Wind would make it more sticky and slow, which is more along the lines of an injury.

All in all, I think an Air type is a flawed idea when you think about it. There isn't really anything you can do to air to damage it, and as an attacking force hurricanes are really flipping strong and can tear down entire buildings (which are sort of rock/steel type) with ease. The result is a type which either is really overpowered or doesn't make logical sense. I also don't really see how it would distinguish itself enough from Flying or why they even need to be separated in the first place. It was a neat idea, though, just doesn't follow through in my opinion.

Ancient
This is a type mostly meant for fossils and ancient artifacts, stuff that communicates an "old" vibe instead of just being old.

Weak to: Grass, Dark
Resists: Fighting, Ground, Ghost, Ice,
Strong Against: Fighting, Ghost
Resisted By: Ice, Grass, Dark

Reasoning: Ancient is ineffective against and weak to Grass and Dark because plant growth and theft can and do damage old sites. Ancient is strong against and resists Fighting because honorable sorts are going to be reluctant to damage anything old. It's strong against and resists Ghost because ancient shit (tm) often helps spirits pass to the afterlife, or seals evil spirits away. It resists Ground and Flying because old buildings like the pyramids are much more resistant to earthquakes. Finally, it and Ice resist each other because very ancient objects can survive ice ages... and obviously weren't able to stop them.

Move that could be Ancient: AncientPower
Pokémon that could be Ancient: All fossilmons (in place of Rock, except for Cranidos/Rampardos with Ancient/Rock), Wartortle/Blastoise (Water/Ancient), Torkoal (Fire/Ancient), Baltoy/Claydol (Psychic/Ancient), Relicanth (Ancient/Water), Regice (Ice/Ancient), Regirock (Rock/Ancient), Registeel (Steel/Ancient), Regigigas (Ancient or Normal/Ancient), Bronzor/Bronzong (Steel/Ancient), Tangrowth (Grass/Ancient), Mamoswine (Ice/Ancient), Cofagrigus (Ghost/Ancient), Golett/Golurk (Ground/Ancient or Ancient/Ghost)

Since most ideas are already taken, I’d like to get a bit creative and propose the plasma type then. Despite having like very few representatives, I think it’d be an interesting type that isn’t really covered by any combination of types in all honesty.

Potential Pokémon
Solrock (Rock / Plasma)
Rotom (Plasma / x)
Amaura & Aurorus (Rock / Plasma)
Zeraora (Plasma & Electric)

Potential Moves
Aurora Beam
Heat Wave
Simple Beam
Ion Deluge
Aurora Veil
Plasma Fists

Potential Properties
Offensively Strong Against: Flying & Ice
Offensively Weak Against: Fire, Electric, & Plasma
Defensively Strong Against: Fire, Electric, & Plasma
Defensively Weak Against: Ice

I think an interesting concept could be the cyber or technological type (open to ideas on what to call it, maybe even Virtual or something), a type for Pokemon that appear to be inorganic or manufactured in some way. I feel there are actually a decent number of candidates when you dig deep into the pool of Pokemon

Potential Pokemon
Porygon line
Magnemite line
Voltorb line
Metagross line
Genesect
Mewtwo
Ditto maybe?
Bronzong
Castform
Deoxys
Reuniclus
Klinklang?
Klefki?
There's probably even a handful more I'm not thinking of

Potential Moves
Tri-Attack, Sharpen, Conversion, Lock-On
Signal Beam maybe?
Charge Beam
Some other stuff, there's way too many moves to look through

Potential Properties
strong against: psychic, fairy, ghost, steel
weak against: normal, fighting, grass, cyber

Mineral type
Why the heck this exists? So simple, for some reason GameFreak things a bunch of boldors (a.k.a Rock-type) are the same as stuff as diamonds and other kind of pretty gems, so that's the reasoning of its existance.
-Weak to: Mineral, Steel, Fighting, Water (?)
-Resists: Grass, Fire, Ice, Bug, Flying, Rock, Electric (?)
-Stronk against: Mineral, Fire, Flying, Ice, Dark.
-Resisted by: Steel, Water, idk what more :p
Reasoning: Weak to itself cause diamonds can only cut themselves with other diamonds, to steel cause pickaxes can be made of steel, weak to Fighting cause most of them are crystal based and can be easily broken up with punches n stuff. Resistant to Grass cause it isn't organic and plant life cannot proccess it, to Fire cause aren't affected by fire n that kind of things, to Flying cause birds cannot see crystals neither break them, Rock because crystals are harder. More stuff l8er.
Potential Moves:
-Physical: Diamond Storm.
-Special: Power Gem, Dazzling gleam.
Potential Pokemon: Carbink, Diancie, Steelix, Roggenrola line, Cryogonal, Staryu line, Ampharos-Mega, Sableye (& Mega), Vespiquen, Nihilego, Necrozmas, Minior, basically anything that learns Power Gem lol.

Last edited:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Brutal Type
There are many Pokémon that are simply brutal, often from anger, and thus use their powerful strength (or if a Special attacker, shoot like there's no tomorrow). We do not talk about the straightforward, usually heroic Fighting-type or the stereotyped-as-evil and pragmatic Dark-type; we talk about the Pokémon who are just plain brutal.

For further details, here's how Brutal Type would stand out from Fighting, Normal and Dark-types.
  • Fighting focuses on honor and straightforward combat, Dark instead use pragmatism and dishonest strategies, and Normal had nothing too special.
  • Brutal is all about strength and violence. Not about honor, not about pragmatism, and being violent is not always a normal thing.
  • This means that Pokémon who resorts to only violence, are viciously aggressive, or are constantly angry will likely to be brutal. No honor, no cunning strategy and go over-the-top than attacking normally.
  • Since brutality tend to be risky, we can put emphasis on making the moves strong and versatile, but also very reckless, as most moves will have notable drawback.

Suggested/Theorized Type Effectiveness
Strong Against:
Fairy, Normal, Psychic
Resisted By: Bug, Dragon
Weak To: Dragon, Bug
Resists: Fairy, Normal, Psychic, Ground

Type Effectiveness Reasoning:
Brutes will not care about cuteness (which Fairy is often associated with) and will not hesitate to attack normal and intelligent persons. That said, they will get into trouble when they comes face to face with Bug (swarm of bugs can kill even a strong brute) and Dragon (dragons are generally stronger than real life brutes). Ground resistance is that brutal person will only get angrier when getting sand or mud to the face, although not without damage, especially from earthquake.

Potential Pokémon: Gyarados (Normal only; Water/Brutal), Fearow (Brutal/Flying), Raticate (Brutal or Normal/Brutal), Alolan Raticate (Brutal/Dark), Primeape (Fighting/Brutal), Pinsir (Bug/Brutal), Tauros (Brutal), Feraligatr (Water/Brutal), Mega Steelix (Not normal Steelix; Steel/Brutal, change Ability if necessary), Tyranitar (Both normal and Mega; Rock/Brutal), Beautifly (Bug/Brutal), Carvanha and Sharpedo (Water/Brutal, also applies to Mega Sharpedo), Zangoose (Normal/Brutal), Seviper (Poison/Brutal), Mega Glalie (not normal Glalie; Ice/Brutal), Huntail (Water/Brutal), Rampardos (Rock/Brutal), Rhyperior (Ground/Brutal), Pignite and Emboar (Fire/Brutal), Throh and Sawk (Fighting/Brutal), Darmanitan (regular only; Fire/Brutal), Pangoro (Dark/Brutal), Tyrantrum (Dragon/Brutal), Crabominable (Brutal/Ice), Lycanroc-Midnight (Rock/Brutal), Guzzlord (Brutal/Dragon), Zarora (Electric/Brutal)

Potential Moves: Buffed Strength (90 BP but no effect), Mega Punch, Mega Kick (85% Accuracy), Crush Claw, Take Down, Fury Attack, Headbutt, Skull Bash, Crunch, Bite, Brutal Swing (95 BP), Special Brutal Moves (one that is 95 BP and 10% to decrease Attack by 1 stage, another that is 120 BP but have 80% accuracy, and have 10% chance of lower Special Defense by 1 stage).

Last edited:
Mineral type
Why the heck this exists? So simple, for some reason GameFreak things a bunch of boldors (a.k.a Rock-type) are the same as stuff as diamonds and other kind of pretty gems, so that's the reasoning of its existance.
-Weak to: Mineral, Steel, Fighting, Water (?)
-Resists: Grass, Fire, Ice, Bug, Flying, Rock, Electric (?)
-Stronk against: Mineral, Fire, Flying, Ice, Dark.
-Resisted by: Steel, Water, idk what more :p
Reasoning: Weak to itself cause diamonds can only cut themselves with other diamonds, to steel cause pickaxes can be made of steel, weak to Fighting cause most of them are crystal based and can be easily broken up with punches n stuff. Resistant to Grass cause it isn't organic and plant life cannot proccess it, to Fire cause aren't affected by fire n that kind of things, to Flying cause birds cannot see crystals neither break them, Rock because crystals are harder. More stuff l8er.
Potential Moves:
-Physical:
Diamond Storm.
-Special: Power Gem, Dazzling gleam.
Potential Pokemon: Carbink, Diancie, Steelix, Roggenrola line, Cryogonal, Staryu line, Ampharos-Mega, Sableye (& Mega), Vespiquen, Nihilego, Necrozmas, Minior, basically anything that learns Power Gem lol.
Rocks are made of minerals. It is far more reasonable to have an Arachnid or Fungus type, and no one wants those.
Ayyy, this is out. cool.

New Type - Wind
Wind type would be a good way to differentiate between moves such as Hurricane and Brave Bird, and make a split between Pokemon that can actually fly and Pokemon that use the wind to float, such as Charizard and Drifblim.

Potential Moves - Razor Wind, Tailwind, Whirlwind, Hurricane, Gust, Defog, Twister

Plate Name - Gale Plate
Can you give a reason to cut the Flying-type in half other than "just because"? Also, what do you do about Heat Wave (Hot Wind)? And what do you to to the weaknesses and resistances to separate it from Flying (because you clearly haven't here)?

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Can you give a reason to cut the Flying-type in half other than "just because"? Also, what do you do about Heat Wave (Hot Wind)? And what do you to to the weaknesses and resistances to separate it from Flying (because you clearly haven't here)?
No, I can't really. But it's kinda the same for all types here. Beast is just cutting into Normal, Ancient is pretty much cutting into rock because fossils.

As for the weaknesses and resistances, and the moves. See the OP and how slates work. There's a reason I said potential, and not guaranteed. The resists, weaknesses and everything like that is also decided by community subs and votes in the second phase.

No, I can't really. But it's kinda the same for all types here. Beast is just cutting into Normal, Ancient is pretty much cutting into rock because fossils.

As for the weaknesses and resistances, and the moves. See the OP and how slates work. There's a reason I said potential, and not guaranteed. The resists, weaknesses and everything like that is also decided by community subs and votes in the second phase.
Not every Beast was Normal, and not every Ancient was Rock. In fact, a majority of them weren't. False equivalency.

Gravity Monkey

is a Top Artist
Wow! There have been far more discussion here than I thought, It's really cool to see all what's going on. I'm going to put my inputs on the submissions so far. Also, I want to remind everybody that typing matchups will be decided in the submission phase, not here, as Ludi said. Feel free to theorize on those, tho.
So for a type I've wanted to see since forever, I'd say is Magic

Different than Fairy, I think Magic could be more interactive type chart shenanigans.

For instance, Magic could be like that one type weak to normal! And easily SE vs. Electric (energy overload)

Different to Fairy and Psychic, Magic is less in the mind and more by the books or even casting or mastering the elements. Magic is more study oriented than the meditative psychic or cutesy fairy. Besides which, I can only think of a few moves that need change... most of them are non-attack moves.

If my formatting is wrong, let me know.

Attacking:
SE: Electric, Ghost, Poison, Fairy
NVE: Ice, Grass, Dragon, Normal,

Defending:
Weak to: Psychic, Normal, Grass, Dragon, Dark
Resists: Ghost, Fairy, Electric, Water, Ice, Ground, Fire
Immune: Rock

When paired in a dual type correctly, Magic types can easily resist some powerful sweepers like Terrakion, Marshadow, Hawlucha and Mega Pinsir. Its resistance to the elements can really help a lot as built in bolt beam resistance goes far. Magic/Fairy (let's face it, there's lots of potential for the combo as is) resists dragon/fire, Water/Dragon and Kyurem's entire moveset outside of the rare Iron Head or Flash Cannon. Paired with a Ghost (a certain magus ghost if you will), the type immunity is grand with immunity to Rock/Ground/Ghost/Normal!

Delphox is defensively going enjoy removing all of his fire weaknesses and Stealth Rock Immunity.
I really like this one. The idea of a typing based more on status moves looks really cool. Also, it's really powerful even if it's weak to normal, that's really fun.

Spiritual
Description/Justification
: The Spiritual type could be a better fit for Pokemon that appear kind of monk-like or those that practice spiritual-like activities. Many of these Pokemon are already considered Psychic-type, and this would not only help differentiate them from other Psychic-types but also add some extra personality/flavor to these Pokemon. For example, whereas Psychic-types are afraid of bugs, ghosts, and the dark, Spiritual types might be more resilient - a better representation of mind-over-matter-type Pokemon.

Example Pokemon: Mega Alakazam, Xatu line, Lugia, Medicham line, Lake Trio, Oranguru, Lucario, Slowking, Darmanitan-Zen Mode
Example Moves: Calm Mind, Instruct, Meditate, Laser Focus, Stored Power, Aura Sphere, Focus Energy, Focus Blast

Potential Weaknesses: Psychic, Electric, Poison
Potential Resistances: Fighting, Ghost, Dark
Pretty cool, a psychic cut-off is something interesting, especially when taking a look at the astonishing number of psychic legendary mons.

Ayyy, this is out. cool.

New Type - Wind

Plate Name - Gale Plate
Fun idea, but I kind of join Pika Xreme's opinion on this. It's really similar to flying type right now. I would like to see how the difference could be accentuated.

Sound:
There are several Pokemon whose design is based on sound as well as several moves. It could also help diversify some Normal Pokemon and Moves, particularly status moves. While the ability Soundproof may seem it could completely undermine this type, Ground is still a very prominent offensive and defensive type despite Levitate existing. This type will largely replace the need for moves to be categorised as 'sound based'.

Also will only one concept type goes through to submission phase and then everyone will be submitting that same type?
A classic when it comes to theorizing new pokemon types. I don't have anything to say except it's logic to see it here (and I'm happy it is)

Beast Type
There are a lot of Normal type Pokemon in the game which struggle because of the type's lack of offensive utility, and there are also a lot of mono-typed Pokemon which could really use a second STAB. A lot of these Pokemon are also based on vicious predators, interestingly, so the Beast type would really help give a lot of horrendously outclassed Pokemon some new life. Let's be specific here, though: This isn't for all Pokemon based off of animals, but only the more predatory and mammalian ones (no snakes). Beast type also has the opportunity to be another Poison-weak type if we choose to, since Poison could really use some help offensively. Some custom special moves would need to be created, though...

Example Pokemon: Entei, Raikou, Suicune, Stoutland, Ursaring, Beartic, Manectric, Feraligatr, Mightyena
NOT Beast Pokemon: Lopunny, Snorlax, Raticate, Arbok, Serperior, Tauros
Example Moves: Bite, Crunch, Howl, Roar, Growl, Glare, Super Fang, Hyper Fang, Odor Sleuth, Noble Roar, Rage, Thrash
Possible Weaknesses: Poison, Dragon, Steel, Fire
Possible Resistances: Ground, Fighting, Ice, Dark
Possibly Hits Super Effectively: Fairy, Fighting, Ground, Flying (cats eat lots of birds, foxes like chickens, etc)
Possibly Resisted By: Dragon, Steel, Poison, Ghost, Rock

While these are only possibilities and not guaranteed, these resistances/weaknesses grant a lot to the metagame in many ways. A resistance and advantage against Ground means more good checks to Zygarde that can't get wrecked by Thousand Arrows. A poison weakness, helping to bring a poor offensive type back into the meta. Hitting fairies super effectively helps fight against a frankly rather OP type. Beast also hits Landorus-T 4x super effectively and we're all sick of that thing by this point :P. It's also a buff to Dragons, which were really hurt by Fairy's introduction. Being resisted by Rock also helps out a type which is really bad defensively.
This is another one I really like. I really feel that normal type needs a cut-off, and that's one perfect idea to bring that. Heck, it even applies to some not-normal-typed pokemons!

Ancient
This is a type mostly meant for fossils and ancient artifacts, stuff that communicates an "old" vibe instead of just being old.

Weak to: Grass, Dark
Resists: Fighting, Ground, Ghost, Ice,
Strong Against: Fighting, Ghost
Resisted By: Ice, Grass, Dark

Reasoning: Ancient is ineffective against and weak to Grass and Dark because plant growth and theft can and do damage old sites. Ancient is strong against and resists Fighting because honorable sorts are going to be reluctant to damage anything old. It's strong against and resists Ghost because ancient shit (tm) often helps spirits pass to the afterlife, or seals evil spirits away. It resists Ground and Flying because old buildings like the pyramids are much more resistant to earthquakes. Finally, it and Ice resist each other because very ancient objects can survive ice ages... and obviously weren't able to stop them.

Move that could be Ancient: AncientPower
Pokémon that could be Ancient: All fossilmons (in place of Rock, except for Cranidos/Rampardos with Ancient/Rock), Wartortle/Blastoise (Water/Ancient), Torkoal (Fire/Ancient), Baltoy/Claydol (Psychic/Ancient), Relicanth (Ancient/Water), Regice (Ice/Ancient), Regirock (Rock/Ancient), Registeel (Steel/Ancient), Regigigas (Ancient or Normal/Ancient), Bronzor/Bronzong (Steel/Ancient), Tangrowth (Grass/Ancient), Mamoswine (Ice/Ancient), Cofagrigus (Ghost/Ancient), Golett/Golurk (Ground/Ancient or Ancient/Ghost)
I said I didn't want to see dinosaur type you pink blob I'm pretty fond of this one too, as it's a new take on something that had already been seen. I hope that it can make a place to become something real at some point.

...I'll give my opinion on the others later, that's too much for me right now ^^"

Last edited:
Light Type

-Weak to: Bug, Dark, Psychic
-Resists:
Fire, Fairy, Electric
-Strong against: Dark, Ghost, Fairy
-Resisted by: Psychic, Bug, Rock
-Immune: Ice

Potential Pokémon
Ampharos line (Light/Electric)
Lanturn line (Water/Light)
Shiinotic line (Grass/Light)
Latias (Dragon/Light)
Lumineon line(Water/Light)
Volbeat (Bug/Light)
Sunflora (Grass/ Light)
Necrozma (Light)
Solrock (Light/Rock)
Lunatone (Light/Rock)
Cryogonal (Ice/Light)
Beheeyem line(Psychic/Light)

Moves
- Light of Ruin
- Light Screen
- Flash
- Signal Beam
- Photon Geyser
- Prismatic Laser
- Reflect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Comet Punch
- Glare
- Morning Sun
- Solar Beam
- Spotlight
- Tri Attack
- Aurora Beam
- Solar Blade

Light Type

-Weak to: Bug, Dark, Psychic
-Resists: Fire, Fairy, Electric
-Strong against: Dark, Ghost, Fairy
-Resisted by: Psychic, Bug, Rock
-Immune: Ice

Potential Pokémon
Ampharos line (Light/Electric)
Lanturn line (Water/Light)
Shiinotic line (Grass/Light)
Latias (Dragon/Light)
Lumineon line(Water/Light)
Volbeat (Bug/Light)
Sunflora (Grass/ Light)
Necrozma (Light)
Solrock (Light/Rock)
Lunatone (Light/Rock)
Cryogonal (Ice/Light)
Beheeyem line(Psychic/Light)

Moves
- Light of Ruin
- Light Screen
- Flash
- Signal Beam
- Photon Geyser
- Prismatic Laser
- Reflect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Comet Punch
- Glare
- Morning Sun
- Solar Beam
- Spotlight
- Tri Attack
- Aurora Beam
- Solar Blade
Light type is banned for this slate, sorry.

Official post

Slate #1 (First new type!) - Concept phase

Welcome, everyone, for this first ever slate of typing: the mod! From today, we will be starting the concept phase. Submit your ideas for new typings, their name, and be sure to provide some kind of explanation.

Also, to have a fresh new start, we are going to have a first new type different of the ones in Valmanway's The Next Type (I'll put a link later). That means no space, dinosaur or light type for this first slate — only for this first slate.

With that, let's get started!

EDIT: Look, here's a link: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-next-type-current-types-dinosaur-light-and-space.3507788/

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
Mirror type
Unlike some other typings, Mirror type can't be defined as "cut-off for another typing" because it's more related to something abstract. It's a type about mirroring, copying and of course, the most important, reflecting. A lot of Pokemon would benefit from it, especially because it will probably be a good defensive typing (Real mirrors reflect heat and light, so Fire and Fairy resistances, etc). For example, Carbink would no longer compete with Regirock, Golem, Gigalith, Aggron, etc for the defensive Rock-type niche, with Mirror/Fairy typing it would be solid (no pun intended). Same thing with Avalugg or Cryogonal, who wouldn't be simply defensive Ice-types anymore. Mirror would serve as a typing that doesn't hit many things super-effectively, but isn't resisted by many things either. A neutral STAB, maybe similar to Normal.

Plus, if we add Light type (we probably will at one point), then Mirror type will be the opposite to it, and be immune to it.

Possible/Example Pokemon: Carbink, Diancie, Mega Sableye, Mega Steelix, Vanilluxe line, Alolan Sandslash line, Avalugg, Cryogonal, Grumpig line, Necrozma, Starmie line, Dialga, Palkia (have a reflective part in their bodies like polished ice or a jewel)
Wobbuffet line (closely related to Mirror Coat)
Mr. Mime (closely related to Reflect/Light Screen)
Chatot (closely related to Mirror Move)
Electrode (learns Light Screen+Mirror Coat by level-up, and "mirrors" Pokebals)
Mew, Ditto (closely related to Transform, mirroring/copying the opponent)
NOT Mirror Pokemon: Minior, Steelix, Lunatone, Solrock, Espeon, Xatu, Aegislash, Ferrothorn, Mega Ampharos
Example Moves: Mimic, Mirror Move, Mirror Shot, Mirror Coat, Transform, Copycat, Reflect, Light Screen, Barrier, Reflect Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)