Thread for Did you knows

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
Did you know? According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway, because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.
this is actually not true (bee aerodynamics are well-understood by scientists) (don't trust jerry seinfeld on this one)

In the 5th episode of the Simpsons Season 11, there is a sign in one of the scenes that says "Sneed's Feed And Seed (Formerly Chuck's)".

Did you know?: The sign is a subtle joke. The shop is called "Sneed's Feed & Seed", where feed and seed both end in the sound "-eed", thus rhyming with the name of the owner, Sneed. The sign says that the shop was "Formerly Chuck's", implying that the two words beginning with "F" and "S" would have ended with "-uck", rhyming with "Chuck". So, when Chuck owned the shop, it would have been called "Chuck's Feeduck and Seeduck".

Did you know that I am completely average height and everyone else is just small and as such doorframes and chairs and clothing should be adjusted to me

did you know that the bolshevik revolution almost put the final nail in the coffin for the russian wolfhounds soon to be named borzois, thankfully for a little period of time for the first time ever before the revolution people outside of the country were able to become owners without having to be gifted by a russian noble.
heres mine for reference :3
image0.jpg

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
due to overfishing the luvdisc supply is decreasing rapidly and smogon may soon have to remove the like react

big fluid dynamics will try to trick you into thinking that the no-slip condition is real but if your job is head engineer of the high altitude mayonnaise factory you will soon find that it is yet another incomplete part of our model of the flow of fluids

Did you know that "Milburn Pennybags" is that name of the Monopoly mascot?

Did you (also) know that apparently luvdisc is now selling for a much higher rate? I used to fish luvdisc every day. I would wake up, think about luvdisc, go outside, fish luvdisc, go home, sleep, dream about luvdisc. There was an abundance of luvdisc. Now for some reason I think about luvdisc more, dream about luvdisc more, but I don't fish luvdisc more. There are less luvdisc to go around and this makes me sad. Please save the luvdisc.

Did you know people like ferns? You ever notice that?

Did you know?

Super Mario Bros. 2 in the West was originally a game called "Doki Doki Panic" in Japan. Nintendo did not think the actual Super Mario Bros. 2 would sell well due to the difficulty, and instead swapped out assets in Doki Doki Panic as the second game instead.

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023
To:BIG ASHLEY@2014users.co.uk
Cc: mods@smogoffmods.aq
Subject: Re: What the fuck does that mean?

On 9 Sep 2023 BIG ASHLEY wrote:

> sijih what the fuck does that mean

Hi BIG ASHLEY,

To answer your question, it is helpful to first establish some baseline definitions.

Smogon is the most comprehensive and accurate online resource for competitive Pokémon battling. We offer articles and advice via our community forums to help fans of the game compete at every level, while honing their skills in every aspect of competitive Pokémon from team building to battling tactics.

"Liking a post" is to electronically register one's approval of (something, such as an online post or comment) for others to see (as by clicking on an icon designed for that purpose).

Luvdisc is a fishlike Pokémon with a relatively flat body in the shape of a heart. It is primarily light pink, with pale lips and circular markings on its cheeks. Its body is covered in heart-shaped scales.

Overfishing is the removal of a species of fish (i.e. fishing) from a body of water at a rate greater than that the species can replenish its population naturally (i.e. the overexploitation of the fishery's existing fish stock), resulting in the species becoming increasingly underpopulated in that area.

Now, the explanation.

Firstly, because Smogon is a Pokémon centric website, the site has replaced the standard iconography of using a heart for the "like" reaction with the use of the similarly heart-shaped Pokémon Luvdisc for the "like" reaction. Secondly, I stated that Luvdisc, a fishlike Pokémon, was facing the same population decrease due to overfishing that many real life fish currently face.

Therefore, the conclusion was that the lowering numbers of Luvdisc in the ecosystem could lead to a dearth of the Luvdisc images used for the iconography of the "like" reaction. This scarcity of images could then force Smogon to remove the "like" reaction from the website.

This is absurd on multiple levels. Obviously, Luvdisc is a fictional animal created by Nintendo Co., Ltd. and Game Freak Inc, so overfishing can not occur. Even if Luvdisc were real, the ability to use an image of an organism as a "like" reaction is completely unrelated to the ecological status of that organism. Finally, even if the image used for the "like" reaction was unavailable for some reason, Smogon would be highly unlikely to remove the ability to respond to a post with a "like" reaction. This triple layering of implied ridiculousness creates an amusing effect.

If you need any other joke explanations, feel free to contact the Smogoff moderators. I personally believe that explaining a joke greatly enhances its humor.

Glad I could help,
Sijih

Did you meow that I am quite the mischievous meow. My meow nature and playful meow often lead me down a meow of trouble. Meow, I cannot resist the temptation to meow things that are off-limits or engage in meow shenanigans. Meow, my cunning ways and clever meow often get me out of sticky situations. Meow, I thrive on meow and meow, always seeking the thrill of the meow. Meow, despite being a meow, I am meow-hearted and bring joy to those around me with my meow personality.

Mathy

F░U░R░R░E░T░ I░N░ B░I░O░
is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
virtual singer is an anagram of virtue signaler............ almost :psygrump:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)