The Top 10 Titans of the 5th Gen OU Metagame [VOTING OVER]

Keldeo is rain's best user that has not been banned and is a threat that needs to be accounted for in every team since its release. It's been suspected twice and is widely believed to be the best pokemon that is currently in the ou

I know it won't win but I would like to vote for Heatran mainly because of it's ridiculous defensive capabilities, Heatran has helped me several times and is capable of taking several hits from the everlasting physically offensive dragons in OUwithout going down.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
tbh I think Rotom-W should have been a candidate because of its awesome versatility, ability to fulfill like 90 different roles at once, awesome bulk, good Speed, good power, sick typing, etc. It was definitely more titan-worthy in BW1 than BW2, but Rotom-W has always been a great Pokemon. =(

But he's not, so Dragonite

Deoxys-S

This pokemon define a entire playstyle, Hyper Offense was broken with this pokemon also can be a hazard setter, dual screener or even offensive. Also can the majority of time get the hazards up and even can kill the opposing spinners, this is more dominating than dragonite and latios, even more than terrakion

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The voting for the #10 spot ends here! Here are the results

Deoxys-S: 4
Latias: 2
Heatran: 1
Latios: 12
Dragonite: 17

Tornadus-T: 1
Keldeo: 1

Dragonite is the Winner!

Dragonite rounds off the list by flying into the #10, and soaring past Latios. Because of the mass amount of people who have argued for Dragonite to be on this list multiple times, and with the great amount of arguments supporting him, I don't think there's a need for me to state why Dragonite one. If you'd like to read some voting descriptions about Dragonite, feel free to click some of the links below:

Conclusion
And with that, the voting is now over! The list has been determined and finalized, so if you want to see what the community has ultimately decided on, please refer back to the OP for the official list. Anyways, this has been a very fun experience guys, and it was awesome to hear all the differing opinions everyone seemed to have. Although there were only very minor instances where someone had to step in, the discussion was overall very healthy and on topic, which can sometimes be hard at times for subjective threads like this. Now that the voting is over, you are free to discuss things that you like or maybe dislike about the list. Do you think that any changes should be made to the list? If so, why? Although the votes are locked, I don't mind people arguing against certain Pokemon being too high, too low, or not even being on the list. What is YOUR personal Top 10 list? Do you think this list is accurate enough of our current metagame? Try not to steer to far away from these questions, but otherwise, just make sure to keep the discussion about the list in general.

Anyways, thank you guys so much for helping me with this awesome project! I can't wait to compare this list to the X and Y metagame once its settled, as the new changes and Pokemon are bound to change up this list astronomically. See you guys in X and Y!

Unsatisfied by the fact Genesect is on this list but it's not like I voted so I can't really whine too much

Same exact argument for him that was used in kd's thread, he wasn't around that long and people only remember him because he was powerful. We could use the same reasoning to nominate Kingdra and other SS'ers or Darkrai. They were both super powerful and not around for that long.

My list:

1. Politoed: We had to nerf Rain a lot (Drizzle+SS, Torn-T, etc.) to make it beatable. Also Keldeo. Just don't use Politoed in Ubers, lol.
2. Ninetales: Maybe I'm slightly biased but I never seem to be able to make a weatherless team that can beat Sun 100% of the time. Venusaur is beast, and Volcarona becomes insanely powerful.
3. Ferrothorn: The face of Gen 5 defensive teams.
4. Tyranitar: A good mon even without Sand Stream, with Sand Stream it's one of the best supporters, although not much can actually abuse Sand.
5. Latios: Choice Specs Draco Meteor...something will be severely hurt. In fact, it is the special attacking standard.
6. Terrakion: BW1 offense was not complete without Terrakion. BW2 gave us Lando-T, but in BW1 you could not completely counter Terrakion.
7. Scizor: When entire teams are weak to Scizor, that's bad--you'd lose about 23% of your ladder games.
8. Excadrill: It got banned for a reason. It also made stuff like Hippowdon really viable, just because they countered Excadrill.
9. Volcarona: It's one of the main reasons you NEED Stealth Rock (or very bulky Rain stall).
10. Breloom: If it weren't for this guy, Sleep Clause might not be as strict. Spore+Focus Punch hurts stuff. Mach Punch is also insane with Technician.

Looks like people have interesting definitions of titans...

Disagree with Garchomp and Dragonite being on this list completely. Perfect example of consistent powerful threats that never really defined a metagame or playstyle or anything.

Tyranitar I semi-agree with, but it should not be #2.

No Deoxys-S / Deoxys-D makes me sad.

Looking at the list, the first 4 are good. I voted otherwise but thinking back, I might put Ferrothorn above T-Tar though. Garchomp is a bit odd, don't think it had that big of an influence despite being Uber before. Excadrill and Genesect deserve their spots but I'd put them above Garchomp. I disagree with the final 2 and think Latios deserves a spot, but eh it's an alright list.

Wooooooooooooo Dragonite made it! I feel like pokemon like Volcarona, Latios, and Breloom deserve a spot up here but its honestly just so difficult too difficult to decide what pokemon deserve to get cut or not.

Last edited:
God damnit. no #10 for Latios?

Anyway here would be my list.

1. Genosekto (Remember early bw2? Yeah. Genosekto fucking overcentralized the metagame, with great base 120 offenses and a powerful U-turn which was one of the strongest in the game. Best choice scarfer in the game, by far. Unlike Scizor he also had powerful special moves and Download which allowed it to easily finish off weakened teams, he could also use Rock Polish in tandem with download to sweep you)
2. Tyranitar (Sand is the best weather in ou imo he also has access to Pursuit and a very, very wide movepool)
3. Politoed (bah drizzle bah choice specs hydro pump)
4. Ferrothorn (Awesome grass / steel typing, awesome defenses and access to great support moves like stealth rock, spikes, leech seed. It could even use a CB set with Power Whip and Gyro Ball to hit hard)
5. Latios (He was suspect tested for four rounds and got over 50% in Round 3. Also he has a wide attacking movepool and fucking Draco Meteor which hits like a truck coming off 130 special attack)
6. Dragonite (Multiscale powered up dragonite and allowed it to set up multiple dragon dances, Politoed also helped it become a deadly rain sweeper)
7. Deoxys-S (extreme hyper offense lead)
8. Ninetales (loldrought)
9. Excadrill (Extremely tough to beat when sand was raging)
10. Garchomp (SubSalac is very annoying, and he can also run things like Stealth Rock or even a defensive set)

1 Politoed
2 Ferrothorn
3 TTar
4 Ninetales
5 Deoxys-S
6 Excadrill
7 Genesect
8 Terrakion
9 Latios
10 Dragonite/Landorus/Garchomp

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well it's kind of a challenge because the OP says "most influential" (and the list mostly is that) but everyone also tries to make the list represent "most effective/dominating" and to a lesser extent "most broken"

Purely most influential:

1 Politoed
2 Tyranitar
3 Ferrothorn
4 Ninetales
5 Deoxys S + D
6 Garchomp
7 Terrakion
8 Landorus-T
9 Jirachi
10 Rotom-W
(with Scizor, Breloom, Latios, Landorus-I, Starmie, Hippowdon, Venusaur, Dragonite and Volcarona and others all kind of vying close for those last 2 spots)

Purely most dominant:

1 Genosect
2 Excadrill
3 Kingdra
4 Deoxys-S (all forms squeezing in here would be nice though)
5 Landorus-I
6 Garchomp
7 Tornadus-T
8 Keldeo
9 Terrakion
10 Dragonite

Purely most broken (ie. terrible for the meta, of those that were tested):

1 Kingdra
2 Shaymin-S
3 Darkrai
4 Deoxys-A
5 Deoxys S / D
6 Blaziken
7 Excadrill
8 Tornadus-T
9 Manaphy
10 Genosect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)