The Internet Bill

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
If you work 25 hours a week, you've got plenty to pay both your internet bill and public transport, especially if you are the one that uses the internet the most.

I find perfectly natural that your parents ask that you start contributing if you started making some money.... and frankly so far they haven't asked for much. You only manage to sound like a spoiled brat to me.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If he's in high school he's likely working 8 to 16 hours a week. His mom is asking him to pay for internet that's expensive because she won't switch to a plan that makes it cheaper.

kid 50 dollars a month is nothing working a 9.50 an hour job(shit thats a good min. wage). realize how easy you have it and just pay the damn bill, maybe learn some responsibility and some minuscule life experience.
This guy knows what he's talking about. Seriously, from someone who lived on his own, while working and going to college, $50 is nothing. Just be thankful that you don't have to pay much steeper bills yet.

Not that you shouldn't be upset, paying $50 a month is unheard of to you. But it is a good life lesson to learn (paying bills/ doing things you don't like because you have to) and it will make their complaints about your internet use moot (as you pay for it, so you should be able to use it as long as you'd like).

My mom keeps saying if we don't pay, she'll cut the Internet.
Don't pay. Make her do that. Chances are she WON'T. If she does terminate the contract, well then you can get a cheaper one. (On the other hand, she may simply confiscate the modem).

Seems to me that all plans mentioned so far are a bit crap tbh. I pay £7.50/month (about 12 dollars at current exchange rates) for unlimited data (with the usual "we'll tell you if you're using too much" condition). But that seems to be a difference in general between North America and the UK.

That said, to be honest, 30 gigabytes a month is a lot of data. There are ways it can be reached though.

If your own usage is low, you could always consider "mobile broadband". It is expensive and slow, but the point is you can be in full control of it, and then refuse to pay the extortionate fixed broadband bill.

But it is a good life lesson to learn (paying bills/ doing things you don't like because you have to)
I don't think being forced to pay a fortune for something you know you can get much cheaper constitutes a "good life lesson".

and it will make their complaints about your internet use moot (as you pay for it, so you should be able to use it as long as you'd like).
Unfortunately, it sounds like SkellyDuke's parents aren't that reasonable.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
If he's in high school he's likely working 8 to 16 hours a week
That's not what he said.

He says he works between 15 to 25, which is at least 600 a month, obviously with full tax return. Thats plenty enough to pay for the internet bill.

Besides, at 17 in Québec where he lives, you are usually done with high school and starting Cégep. His schedule might be pretty much anything. I'd like to stress that the Cégep years are near free and university that follows is the cheapest in the country.

@Vineon, God., Shiny Tyranitar:

I think you guys are missing the whole point here. He wants to swap IP, because he has a bad one for his family usage and has to pay 50 bucks more than necessary when they pass the excess limit, when he could just switch over to a better one that fits them and doesn't pass it. He is also forced to pay the extra that comes every single month, and his parents won't listen to reason and switch to something better. He wants help on how to talk them over to get something that is better and cheaper than his current one. He isn't upset because he has to pay a bill, he is upset because he has to pay a bill that could be avoided very easily if his parents would listen.

Of course, when school starts, I will have to cut my work hours to a mere 8-15 as stated and slowly accumulate the money needed.

Oh, Health Science at a private collège is not far from 4000$ and I don't want to start thinking about University with the mandatory laptop with Pharmaceutical studies...

How stupid is it to pay an "extra" 50$ just for this service. In my mom's eyes, it's because of a bundle offer from videotron that includes TV/Phone/Internet and "sounds" cheaper. From what I have learned and read, it is not and it's just a big hole in the pocket.

Of course, my dad slowly talked to me about "since you have money, you can help us pay a bit". That was way better then my mom who just said give me your money and/or pay the bills 'cause you use the Internet and such. Since my dad helps me a lot and, of course, I do live here and I can spend money on the side, it's okay for me to help. Honestly.

Like many have said, this is plain stupid consindering this as a "lesson". I don't think I need to explain more.

Oh yes, my dad also said that it's fine as long as I have solid proof and an excellent comparision if we switched to Vibe 7. I'll probably pack up everything tomorrow and show them what's best!

(sorry for the grey and indent, I'm just used to doing that. Sorry again!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)