Taicho's CAP-tastic Thread

Cap Submission Assistance

UPDATE

I have just been informed by Beej that the rules have changed and that I can no longer submit my designs as well as assist people with their designs. So I'm sorry to announce I will no longer be assisting people with their designs! I hope that in the future I can sway the rules in favor of reopening this assistance thread, as I enjoy helping people, so for now I will keep this thread open and update it with CAP art. Please support me in anyway you can!

CAP 8

First Version

Final Revision

Revised Poses

CAP 9

First Version

Discarded Revisions

CAP 10

Brainstorming Designs

Discarded Rough Design Hermit Crab

Discarded Rough Design Dolphin

Serpent Turtle Rough Draft

Sea Cucumber First Draft

Sea Cucumber (Cucaster) Revision

Supporting Material Trace Comic 1: Gyarados' Bark

Supporting Material Trace Comic 2: Motor Driven

Supporting Material Trace Comic 3: Swiftly Defeated

For The Other Doug: Ocean Lot

For The Other Doug: Ocean Lot Final Submission

For Solstice: Sea Urchin

For Solstice: Sea Urchin V 2.0

And more to come as I dig them out of the mess the is my computer files...

The only criticism I have about this design is the circle patches on the shoulders and wrists look like bubbles, making this pokemon look like a water/dragon. This might also be in part to the colour scheme. Perhaps a less aquatic shade of blue could have been used?

Other than that though, spectacular design.

The only criticism I have about this design is the circle patches on the shoulders and wrists look like bubbles, making this pokemon look like a water/dragon. This might also be in part to the colour scheme. Perhaps a less aquatic shade of blue could have been used?

Other than that though, spectacular design.
Oh those are supposed to be shiny patches. My girlfriend did the coloring and she uses the technique a lot. Can't wait for the next CAP.

I preffered some of the older colour schemes so can you post those.
This was an awesome CAP submission and you will definitely get my vote.
Good luck.

Hey, it's really cool to see that you're doing something like this.
You really helped me with my design in CaP8, so I can give you props to your abilities. :)
I just hope this doesn't get wasted and abused by people in the next CaP, will you be placing some sort of standards and rules in place to possibly protect against that? Well, then again I guess it's too early to say, but hopefully it works out well for the next CaP.
Thanks again for helping with my design btw. :)

Hey, it's really cool to see that you're doing something like this.
You really helped me with my design in CaP8, so I can give you props to your abilities. :)
I just hope this doesn't get wasted and abused by people in the next CaP, will you be placing some sort of standards and rules in place to possibly protect against that? Well, then again I guess it's too early to say, but hopefully it works out well for the next CaP.
Thanks again for helping with my design btw. :)
I'll probably think up something but for now the only thing I have going rule wise is the five slot bit. Once I'm filled up I won't do anymore. I mean I have to have time for my own submission right?

Wow, this is an awesome idea. Helping those with less artistic abilities...
If possible, i would be willing to help with this. :3

I saw the link to this thread in your signature, and I was wondering if you could help me out with my design. Not to go on an emorant, but it seems that every time I submit art for a CAP, I don't get any comments, not even criticism. I used to think that my art was at least halfway decent, but now I'm starting to think maybe it's just not of the right caliber for CAPs.

Anyway, here's what I had posted in the latest CAP art thread:

It's based on Set, the ancient Egyptian god of desert and chaos, which I think fits the dark/ground typing perfectly. I had some trouble making it look like a dark/ground dual type rather than just plain dark, so I ended up borrowing some of the designs on Groudon's body and added some spikes (two on its tail, and a large one on each back leg's thigh).

I know you're looking to draw the Pokemon for people, but any sort of feedback, even the harshest criticism would be greatly appreciated. Of course, if you'd like to illustrate your own interpretation of it, I'd like to see that as well. :) Thanks!

Your artwork/design is fine. Find a time when nobody is really posting though so yours gets attention. Your design was just followed and behind 2 also impressive designs.

This will look much more appealing when it has color.

Also i have a set regulations (idea)

Must be in a Line-art form. (No Camera Pictues), one CAP per entrant. Anything else?

And here I though this thread had been forgotten!

@Sanglunaria: there is nothing wrong with he art in your submission. I think what you need to do is make sure you are tweaking your design often, to keep it fresh in peoples minds, color it, and do some supporting material! This is only the second CAP art submission that I've seriously gotten into, so you can take my word with a grain of salt, and if you still want help, I've got slots open!

@Kai7735: I think it's great that you wanna help out! I like you idea and I think it would be great if we could split the work! I figure I'll chance the slots to 4 instead of 5 and we each take to the two we like best?

Hey! I love your idea! I always thought it a bit unfair that artists couldn't win even if they had a great concept due to artistic or computer limitations.

That said, this is my submission for CAP9 which I'd love to have your help on.

It's a sand castle with a dark ooze/glue-ish thing holding it together. It has a shovel as one hand and a bucket for the other (which may or may not be used as a cannon), along with clam (Shellder?) shells for feet. Its eyes float slightly in front of the darkness.

I've already done some coloring, though, along with some supporting art which you may or may not want to look at in the thread.

Even though I've described it above, feel free to do whatever you want with the design to improve it.

Thanks for considering my submission!

Hey! I love your idea! I always thought it a bit unfair that artists couldn't win even if they had a great concept due to artistic or computer limitations.

That said, this is my submission for CAP9 which I'd love to have your help on.

It's a sand castle with a dark ooze/glue-ish thing holding it together. It has a shovel as one hand and a bucket for the other (which may or may not be used as a cannon), along with clam (Shellder?) shells for feet. Its eyes float slightly in front of the darkness.

I've already done some coloring, though, along with some supporting art which you may or may not want to look at in the thread.

Even though I've described it above, feel free to do whatever you want with the design to improve it.

Thanks for considering my submission!
I've fallen quite a bit behind on my design, but I'll promise to get to it asap! slot one taken.

I need help with this guy: http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt216/VeryFunnyDoug/ConceptMeerkatMobMon.jpg
He's a meerkat gangster pokemon who has a gang consisting of bug types, those who don't join him are killed, and eaten without mercy.
His "Clothes" are made out of Bug skins/wings.

His "Hat" is made out of Cocoon pokemon like Silcoon, Kakuna, and cascoon.

His "Tie" is made out of either A) a Heracross Horn B) A Beedrill stinger.

This is his color Scheme: http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt216/VeryFunnyDoug/BeeMeerkatMon.jpg

I need help with this guy: http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt216/VeryFunnyDoug/ConceptMeerkatMobMon.jpg
He's a meerkat gangster pokemon who has a gang consisting of bug types, those who don't join him are killed, and eaten without mercy.
His "Clothes" are made out of Bug skins/wings.

His "Hat" is made out of Cocoon pokemon like Silcoon, Kakuna, and cascoon.

His "Tie" is made out of either A) a Heracross Horn B) A Beedrill stinger.

This is his color Scheme: http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt216/VeryFunnyDoug/BeeMeerkatMon.jpg
I think I'm a little swamped to take on something else however if you were to send a PM Kai7735's way I think he might be willing to help you. if he is I'll put your name in one of the slots! if not I'm really sorry, and better luck next time >.<

Hmm...
I like the design, but I guess I'm just a little miffed that it didn't follow my design more faithfully.

But beggars can't be choosers, and this design is great. If possible without making it look weird, could you add some flags/shells, etc? Other than that, I like it. I'd love to see it colored, and I'll probably use it as my final submission. Thanks for the help!

G'day. I stumbled upon this thread a while ago and would like to say this is an excellent idea.

Also, I'd like to reserve a slot. [/subtlety]

Although I would love to finish the design by myself, I am finding it difficult to work with limited resources. And unfortunately, my spriting abilities are subpar to anything worth competing. Which is why I'd like to request a helping hand. The design is located in this post. I am still searching for a scanner to use, if absolutely required, but cannot promise or predict anything on this part.

As for colours... I'm unsure. I was originally thinking among the lines of a slightly dark shade of brown for the body and a rougher and darker texture for the body. Yellow-ish nails, and also 'somewhat' yellow-ed bones. Perhaps all with a spot of dirt here and there. But since I haven't been playing around with it, I haven't actually visualised everything yet, so if you enjoy any input or suggestions, you're more than encouraged to go wild!

I do intend to provide my own supporting material and if one of you guys is willing to give it a shot, I would love to provide some supporting material (or fan art, depending on whether you want to include it or not) for your own submissions in return.

G'day. I stumbled upon this thread a while ago and would like to say this is an excellent idea.

Also, I'd like to reserve a slot. [/subtlety]

Although I would love to finish the design by myself, I am finding it difficult to work with limited resources. And unfortunately, my spriting abilities are subpar to anything worth competing. Which is why I'd like to request a helping hand. The design is located in this post. I am still searching for a scanner to use, if absolutely required, but cannot promise or predict anything on this part.

As for colours... I'm unsure. I was originally thinking among the lines of a slightly dark shade of brown for the body and a rougher and darker texture for the body. Yellow-ish nails, and also 'somewhat' yellow-ed bones. Perhaps all with a spot of dirt here and there. But since I haven't been playing around with it, I haven't actually visualised everything yet, so if you enjoy any input or suggestions, you're more than encouraged to go wild!

I do intend to provide my own supporting material and if one of you guys is willing to give it a shot, I would love to provide some supporting material (or fan art, depending on whether you want to include it or not) for your own submissions in return.
I'm sorry I'm really tied down, you might be able to get some help from the other poster in this thread however Kai

Hey taicho, I didn't know you were the one that had submitted that snazzy electric dragon design. Man, you should have gotten better than 7th place. I really like your CAP9 design so far and I really think you should make a Final submit for it. Your idea stood out of all the rest. Even if you don't get it finished, just submit your original. Good luck to you and your artistic endeavors.

Hey taicho, I didn't know you were the one that had submitted that snazzy electric dragon design. Man, you should have gotten better than 7th place. I really like your CAP9 design so far and I really think you should make a Final submit for it. Your idea stood out of all the rest. Even if you don't get it finished, just submit your original. Good luck to you and your artistic endeavors.
Chozlohm (I think I spelled it wrong >.<) picked up the coloring for me. Previously that was my GF's thing but she's been busy with college. I've been busy with work so thats why I'm not nearly as prepared this time around.

Taicho, are you going to do the coloring, or is that up to me? I'm getting a bit antsy with the deadline coming tommorrow. Sorry if I'm rushing you or anything.

Great job with your CAP entry!

K, back from a busy school scheduale. >.>
I'm already working on Bird's design. I could possibly take 1 (maybe 2) more designs.

Also I might be interested in doug's design. As long as he/you can give me a little more info on what you want em to be like.

Taicho, are you going to do the coloring, or is that up to me? I'm getting a bit antsy with the deadline coming tommorrow. Sorry if I'm rushing you or anything.

Great job with your CAP entry!
Sorry! I've been working so i haven't had much time for anything! I'll try and get some coloring in tonight but if your worried feel free to do your own coloring!

Edit: Alright I have the day and there's a extension on the art submissions! Darkchicken I should have yours done by tonight, Assuming your not online I'm going to see if I can make your final submission for you (just in case they close the thread today.)

Edit: Reopened!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)