Resource SWSH RU Short Questions and Short Answers

Mavis

Banned deucer.
what does cinccino do in this meta? just a fast breaker? arent there better mons that can break? like salazzle, boltund and sneasel
has a small niche as a physical attacker with high base speed that allows it to deal high damage to other frail offensive pokemon but struggles mightily in practice due to the omnipresence of pokemon like mudsdale, vileplume, and steelix

what set (read: EV-spread) are people running on Rhydon?

I also have another quick question: Does Vileplume see usage in sun teams as a sweeper, or is it better to just use the normal set and just throwing Synthesis or Solar Beam on that?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
what set (read: EV-spread) are people running on Rhydon?

I also have another quick question: Does Vileplume see usage in sun teams as a sweeper, or is it better to just use the normal set and just throwing Synthesis or Solar Beam on that?
there's no standardized ev spread, max hp then whatever you want

And yes for vileplume, it's a scary sun sweeper if the steels are dealt with

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
I tried Ru for the first time last night

I fought screens, terrain, dual weather, and webs. Is ru basically just H.O. focused? What are the general vaible archetypes and then the shakier ones?

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

I fought screens, terrain, dual weather, and webs. Is ru basically just H.O. focused? What are the general viable archetypes and then the shakier ones?
I tend to see more bulky offense than hyper. Since there is a lot of offensive weapons here like Salazzle, Indeedee, wincon Vileplume, etc, it makes sense to be carrying 2-3 bulky mons on each team!

Finnick Odair

formerly sensei axew
is a Community Contributoris a Three-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion

I fought screens, terrain, dual weather, and webs. Is ru basically just H.O. focused? What are the general vaible archetypes and then the shakier ones?
Yeah, just to follow up what Oath said, ladder typically runs the more H.O. route because most of them are there for a fun time not a long time. Right now, outside of ladder, I'd say the best archetype in RU rn is BO followed by flat Offense.

What set did Johto Corsola get ranked for on the VR? It seems to be kind of a meme pick in my eyes but I'm sure there's some reason to utilize it if it did end up getting ranked.

is there a reason why drifblim seems to be used as a physically defensive wall as opposed to a specially defensive one? (role compendium has it listed as a phys wall, sets listed on the smogon dex are all phys def)

its spdef is higher than its phys def and it has strength sap to cripple phys attackers who try to stay in on it, so ?????

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
is there a reason why drifblim seems to be used as a physically defensive wall as opposed to a specially defensive one? (role compendium has it listed as a phys wall, sets listed on the smogon dex are all phys def)

its spdef is higher than its phys def and it has strength sap to cripple phys attackers who try to stay in on it, so ?????
As a defogger/fighting check it’s much better as a physical wall, and the defensive investment helps it switch into things, it won’t always be healthy enough to get a sap off if it’s specially invested

Is there some kind of a resource that lists checks to common threats? Usually an analysis would list checks and counters but since there are only short analyses prior to the DLC coming out, there's no C&C section.

Anyway, what serves as a decent check to Bewear in RU?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is there some kind of a resource that lists checks to common threats? Usually an analysis would list checks and counters but since there are only short analyses prior to the DLC coming out, there's no C&C section.

Anyway, what serves as a decent check to Bewear in RU?
Sableye is the biggest defensive answer. Fast fire types can blow it back but can't switch in reliably. same applies to indeedee and raichu-a, but be careful cuz psyshock from those 2 doesn't ohko. Xatu also checks it decently but has to be careful of double-edge/darkest lariat

not much can straight up switch into it, there's a reason it's exceptionally good

Sableye is the biggest defensive answer. Fast fire types can blow it back but can't switch in reliably. same applies to indeedee and raichu-a, but be careful cuz psyshock from those 2 doesn't ohko. Xatu also checks it decently but has to be careful of double-edge/darkest lariat

not much can straight up switch into it, there's a reason it's exceptionally good
Awesome, thank you.

I guess this is the place to ask this. what are Slurpuff answers in this tier? the belly drum set i find impossible to switch into if I dont have salazzle to taunt it when its in, Ive been laddering for a bit and Ive lost to 90% of them and I cant find anything thats good enough to wall it

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I guess this is the place to ask this. what are Slurpuff answers in this tier? the belly drum set i find impossible to switch into if I dont have salazzle to taunt it when its in, Ive been laddering for a bit and Ive lost to 90% of them and I cant find anything thats good enough to wall it
First, I should clarify that these are just checks to Belly Drum Slurpuff. CM Slurpuff can beat many of these checks with its excellent coverage moves, such as Psychic, Flamethrower, and Surf.

In terms of reliability (green = more reliable, orange = eh, red = less reliable), these are Puff's answers:

- Vileplume takes a maximum of 70% from Slurpuff's attacks and can KO it back with Sludge Bomb. It also has access to Strength Sap to stay healthy throughout the match; watch out for Xatu and Drampa, though, which block Strength Sap with their abilities.

- Weezing takes a maximum of 58% from Slurpuff's attacks and can KO it back with Sludge Bomb if Slurpuff is below 70%. It has Pain Split as recovery, which is better than nothing; however, Wish-passing from Vaporeon or Snorlax can help it stay healthy enough to take on Slurpuff.

- Unaware Quagsire walls it for obvious reasons but is pretty bad otherwise.

- Physically Defensive Steelix takes a maximum of 63-74% from Drain Punch and can KO it back with Heavy Slam. It does not have recovery, however, and is generally less effective than Mixed Defensive Steelix in other matchups. It can be difficult to avoid letting Steelix get chipped, but if you can do so PhysDef Steelix is a very good answer.

- Mixed Defensive Steelix takes a maximum of 84% from Slurpuff's attacks and can KO it back with Heavy Slam. It does not have recovery, however, and can be worn down fairly easily since it is asked to check a lot of different things. Therefore, vs. Slurpuff you need to either not bring Steelix in until Slurpuff uses Belly Drum or use a Wish-passer to keep it healthy.

(Mixed Defensive: 252 HP / 16+ Def / 240 SpD. This is what's on the analysis, and it's generally better for most other matchups; vs. indeedee, for example.)
(Physically Defensive: 252 HP / 252+ Def.)

- Defog Charizard takes a maximum of 92% from Slurpuff's attacks and is immune to entry hazards thanks to Heavy-Duty Boots. However, it cannot KO Slurpuff back; Zard's Fire Blast does 52-62%, so Slurpuff can beat Charizard by Drain Punching to get HP back and then KOing with Facade.

- Rhydon can live an attack, but 0 HP Rhydon takes up to 99% from Drain Punch and 252 HP takes up to 84%. Rhydon is super vulnerable to entry hazards and does not have recovery from Leftovers, so it is easy to chip into range of Slurpuff's KO. Slurpuff can also avoid the KO from Rhydon, since it uses Drain Punch on Rhydon and will usually recover at least 50% HP before Rhydon can attack. Max Attack Adamant Rhydon does a max of 78% with Earthquake, and the HP Slurpuff regains from Drain Punch can often enable it to survive Rhydon's attack and break through it.

- Sticky Web makes it easier to revenge, although it is possible that Puff is paired with hazard removal. If Sticky Web is up, most Choice Scarfers can outspeed Unburden Slurpuff, but not many of them can KO back. Choice Scarf Drapion and Toxicroak work if Webs are up, though.

Tl;dr;
- Bring Weezing or Vileplume and you are pretty much good if you don't let them die.
- Bring Steelix and you are OK only if you keep it at nearly full HP.
- Bring Rhydon / Zard and you are OK only if you can weaken Slurpuff a lot as it sets up (so that it dies to Rhydon / Zard's attacks).
- Use Sticky Web + Scarf Drapion/Toxicroak and you are OK if you can keep Webs up.

Last edited:
So, probably not the best Charizard set to use, but I like challenges and wanted to use it anyways

Charizard (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Fire Punch
- Substitute
- Belly Drum

Any teammates suggestions?

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So, probably not the best Charizard set to use, but I like challenges and wanted to use it anyways

Charizard (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Fire Punch
- Substitute
- Belly Drum

Any teammates suggestions?
Vanilluxe would probably work well in order to set aurora veil. Something to chip at rock types would also be appreciated. Also make the HP stat divisible by 16.

Wouldn't hail work against this set?
It will not, as you usually set veil on the first turns of hail. Thus, hail would have probably ended at the time zard tries to set up. If it doesn't convince you, double screens is also an option.
Also, you need something to deal with rock types like vaporeon, decidueye or rotom mow (that one is also a good pivot to let zard in)
a good partner could be specs indedee, as it can trick to give zard a chance to set up and weakens fat cores

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)