Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If usage stats shape the tier, and one pokemon is HALF THE TIER by usage, that means it is overcentralizing. Just saying.
Usage doesn't make a mon over centralizing. Usage more often is a reflection of how splashable something is, and while a splashable mon can be and often is centralizing to some extent that isn't necessarily a bad thing. You know to account for it in the builder. Over centralizing mons are the kind metagames are warped around to an extreme, both in how good they are and how specific or little counterplay they have, which results in constrained team building.

Both Great Tusk and Landorus Therian do not come close to fitting this bill as they are neither overbearing to check in the builder, nor do they egregiously warp the meta to an unhealthy extent. They don't have an extreme stranglehold, they have ample counterplay.

Why use any other pokemon when you could, and almost always should, just use Great Tusk or Landorus-T?
It's not ever that simple either. They're splashable and strong choices but they aren't perfect at all and they aren't mandatory. Both mons actually improve building by compressing roles and allowing greater flexibility in team building. If anything these kinds of mons are very healthy for metas.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I HATE GARGANACL (an essay)
I hate garganacl, and I don't think I'm alone in this. It's simultaneously infuriating to play against and with. Seriously, fuck this thing. It has just the right amount of variability where its checks don't feel check-y enough. An example would be Leftovers Tusk. On paper, this completely counters its Stealth Rock/Protect set, which it does, albeit taking some chip in the process. But what's this? Suddenly the Garganacl is fucking IronPress or Curse and has so now you can't kill it anymore and it destroys you with Body Press and Salt Cure damage. What about the unaware users of Dirge and Clod? Dirge has its sub broken and does 10% with torch song and Shadow Ball until it has to slack off in which case it gets you with the salt cure so you can't win against it in the long run. Clod's earthquake is literally outstalled by Salt Cure after it's Tera'd and it uses the opportunity to get to +6 so the next pokemon is destroyed by Body Press. That's not even to mention that it's 2HKO'd by earthquake if it's running curse set. Dondozo is literally fucking murdered by salt cure. Special attackers often can't even check it because of its ridiculous bulk. Naive Iron Valiant can't even 2HKO it with fucking Moonblast meanwhile it gets salt cure, STALLS OUT CLOSE COMBAT AT +2 WITHOUT TERAING and then you have to deal with +6 body press and salt cure with the rest of your team while it probably stills has 3-5 recovery PP which makes it really fucking impossible to kill. That's just to show that all the good special attackers can't really 1v1 it because they are stalled out. The only thing that can really deal with it is setup users with recovery like Hatterene or Choice Specs special attackers but even then they take a lot of chip and the garganacl user just switches to something that can deal with them because choice item lock and the free turns you just gave them so now your pokemon are threatened out by whatever switched in and garga is still healthy have I mentioned how much I HATE THIS POKEMON YET!!!!! And people say it's balanced because you can run Ghold with Covert Cloak (an objectively trash item) and ignore body press except they nail you with the +1 curse and you're fucking dead haha isn't that fun. That's not even to mention the stupidity of block sets to screw over stall completely and the COMPLETE IMMUNITY TO STATUS GAMEFREAK WHYYYYYY. You have to run answers to all of its sets and they're completely different and I hate it. PLEASE BAN THIS THING!!!!!

tl;dr too bulky, checks are bad, forces progress too easily and quickly

edit: this ended up being less of an essay than a place to voice my frustrations but please tell me i'm not alone in this. There have to be some people that don't want to run cloak on everything, right?
Did a discussion video discussing Garganacl's current place in the OU Metagame. Hopefully, you guys enjoy ❤

Now that we're talking about garg again, I'd like to bring up this post again where I outlined counterplay that's still very relevant. Once again try arboliva kids...yall still sleepin on this mon (I moved on from sub arboliva that's the only aspect of my post that's outdated now).

So that this isn't a one-liner, I'll talk about some other home mons that are hot topics rn

:Sneasler:

Sneasler @ Protective Pads
Ability: Poison Touch
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Dire Claw
- Close Combat

This mon is being incredibly overhyped with how many folks thinking it'll be ubers lol. Let us compare sneasler to another fighting type that we know and love, Iron Hands. This mon is super bulky, reasonably strong, has great offensive stabs+coverage, and access to SD+booster energy. On paper its super strong, but in practice you keep needing to work around 1 mon...Great Tusk.

Great Tusk's omnipresence warps every physical attacker in the tier around it. Kingambit/Roaring moon run tera flying for it, SD garchomp is obsolete, and Iron Hands has to keep pulling out techs like shuca or tera to get past tusk. Being a physical attacker checked by tusk is a disadvantage, because tusk is meta. Kingambit gets away with it because it's the least passive ghost resist and every team wants one, but it also needs tusk to be worn down or have the right tera in order to win most matches. Sneasler is yet another physical attacker that I will check without even trying simply by using the best hazard removal in the tier. Not to mention toxapex, gholdengo, corviknight, dragapult, skeledirge etc can all check sneasler, and all of these can fit on every kind of team.

Can sneasler get past these mons with the right moves, the right status procs, and enough free turns? Sure, but every offensive mon will make progress given the chance. It'll be OU solidly but no chance it goes higher. Perhaps there's other innovation in this mon I can't foresee, but I feel like the above set will be the best set. I'm not quite as intimidated by sneasler as I am of the next one...

:Samurott-Hisui:

Samurott-Hisui @ Assault Vest / Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Poison / Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ceaseless Edge
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Razor Shell

Ceaseless Edge is such a move lmao. I think the best way to punish this move is Rocky Helmet, and I expect to see an uptick in Helmet Garchomp to punish CE (which in turn punishes mons like sneasler+ursaluna, part of why I'm not too hot on them). Water+Dark+Fighting coverage all boosted by sharpness is threatening enough without any item, making utility like Scarf or AV very viable picks and improving Samurott's matchup vs offense. I think every team is gonna need a hard switch-in to punish or check this mon like Watershifu, amoongus, helmet chomp, Static (helmet) zapdos, and perhaps azumarill and chesnaught as well. Excellent punish on the staples of OU that will be slowking and glowking. Tera poison covers your grass+fighting+fairy weakensses on AV sets, Dark just boosts ur power on choiced sets. OU superstar fr incoming.

:Enamorus:

Enamorus (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Mystical Fire
- Earth Power
- Superpower

This mon is a slight downgrade to Iron Valiant no lie. I have no clue where the ubers allegations are coming from. Contrary Superpower physical sets are not going to overwhelm any teams ever. Fat already has mons like dondozo and skeledirge which do not care about contrary boosts, and Enamorus lacks the physical coverage to break past them. Aside from superpower, you've got play rough, zen headbutt, and tera blast...not impressive. Even gholdengo is immune to your superpower and eats a hit+kills you back, and offense will have plenty of mons faster than you like iron moth and sneasler that can force you out.

So if the contrary physical sets are mid, then it shines with special sets right? Hardly. Iron Valiant has a better speed tier, fighting stab, and access to booster energy which outclasses CM sets that enamorus might try. Specs enamorus can have mystical fire+ep coverage which complements moonblast better than any other 2 moves ival can run, and that is the only real advantage I can come up with. Fairy/flying is a nice defensive typing for tusk, but you're also weak to rocks and vulnerable to espeed/ice shard which ival often tanks. Overall this will be a decent OU mon, not ubers.

Electrode
0101Electrode.png

"Electrode tends to live in power plants where fresh electricity is being generated, which it consumes. As a result, it often causes blackouts. The more electric energy Electrode consumes, the faster it moves." - Bulbapedia

"Electrode having the propensity to explode describes my mental state after finishing finals last semester" - Morkal

BASE STATLEVEL 100 STAT RANGE
HP:
230 - 324
Attack:
94 - 218
Defense:
130 - 262
Sp. Atk:
148 - 284
Sp. Def:
148 - 284
Speed:
274 - 438

Electrode has always been, in my view, one of the most underrated Pokemon design-wise from generation one. So I've always tried to find an OU niche for it and unfortunately (barring RBY OU) I have always come out frustrated at its lacking movepool and aggravating stat spread. However, thanks to the additional base 10 to its speed stat from generation seven, the inclusion of Tera, and a surprisingly hospitable environment, Electrode finally has a specific but solid niche on Hyper Offense and Spike Stacking teams in OU. It has a very unique combination of traits that no other Pokemon can effectively replicate in the same manner (until Hisuian-Electrode comes out that is), resulting in a weird but oddly vital form of role compression that can completely take your opponent off guard. So without further ado, let's jump into why Electrode is a shockingly neat pick for certain team archetypes.​

Disclaimer: Electrode is, bar none, the most specific OU niche Pokemon I've ever talked about, as it only reliably fits on two team archetypes. Electrode needs synergistic support along with adept knowledge of Pokemon speed tiers (I will be going into detail about the specifics in my post, but here is a nearly comprehensive SV speed tier index by AtraX Madara that's very useful, I highly recommend looking at it) and damage benchmarks in conjunction both with and without Spikes. If you plan carefully and utilize the specific unique strengths of Electrode's role compression, you'll find that you have a Pokemon that can put a relatively shocking amount of offensive pressure on your opponent while simultaneously exuding a surprising defensive presence! I would also like to give a special thank you to Athyestic for the help that allowed me to finalize Electrode's moveset.

Electrode's Summarized OU Advantages
"This is a "too long; didn't read" for people who don't want to read through the whole post and just want a quick, summarized glance at Electrode's OU advantages."
  • Electrode's new access to Terastallization and STAB Tera Blast allows it to act as a midgame lure + stopgap cleaner/revenge killer on hyper offense and spikes/hazard stacking teams, being able to take advantage of common threats such as Great Tusk, Roaring Moon, Meowscarada (especially Adamant), Garchomp, Dragapult, and more.
  • Electrode's incredible base speed stat of 150 allows for more flexible EV investment and speed control than any other electric type that could try to replicate this role. The ability to still hit necessary speed benchmarks without a speed-boosting nature or too many speed EVs is crucial.
  • Electric/Fairy (with Tera) STAB in OU is surprisingly adept offensively and even more fantastic defensively, especially when utilizing Tera's defensive synergy to regain momentum from your opponent.
  • Electrode's ability Soundproof is situational, but blocks several critical moves in OU including Skeledirge's Torch Song, Volcarona's Bug Buzz, Boomburst/Hyper Voice, and Grimmsnarl's Parting Shot.
  • Electrode's access to Mirror Coat allows it to turn the tables on certain threats like Skeledirge, Volcarona, Iron Valiant, and Gholdengo thanks to the extra bulk of Assault Vest, allowing Electrode to, despite an innate lack of power, exude far more offensive pressure than a Pokemon with a base 80 Special Attack would otherwise be able to.
  • Electrode's pre-Tera Electric typing and post-tera Fairy typing both have additional utility that compliments Electrode's specific role (notably, immunity to paralysis for Electrode's Electric-type and Dragon-type immunity + Dark-type Knock Off resistance for Electrode's Tera Fairy-type).
  • Electrode's STAB Volt Switch further allows Electrode to create momentum for your team via prediction by taking advantage of opportunities that Electrode creates with Tera Blast Fairy.
Assault Vest Tera Fairy Mirror Coat Lure Cleaner
(Hyper Offense / Spikes Stacking)

Spr_5b_101.png

Electrode @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 36 HP / 224 Def / 108 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Tera Blast
- Mirror Coat
- Volt Switch

Electrode Effort Values - An Explanation

We're going to take a different approach with this analysis than any of my previous ones; since the EVs here are specialized, we're going to look at exactly why we have Electrode tech'd this way and the specific threats that this EV allotment allows Electrode to handle. Damage calculations, defensive calculations, speed tiers, and item + utility aspects will all be meticulously explained to the best of my ability and detailed as we move through the specifics of Electrode's workings.

Speed

Dream_Choice_Scarf_Sprite.png

Here we have Electrode running a neutral nature with 140 EVs invested, which means that this set reaches a phenomenal speed stat of 371. Why is 371 the benchmark we want to hit specifically? Jolly-natured 252 EV Roaring Moon clocks in at 370 speed exactly, meaning that it cannot outspeed Electrode without Protosynthesis's speed boost (we'll dive into the specifics of why this is important later throughout both the Offensive and Defensive sections of the post). Additionally, this means that the only Pokemon in OU that can outspeed this Electrode variant are various Scarfed Pokemon, Jolly Meowscarada with at least 228 EVs, and neutral Dragapult with at least 208 EVs. So what types of threats does Electrode outspeed with this specific speed stat? Let's take a look at some specific threats! (not all of them as we would be here forever, just some notable benchmarks I feel are relevant to point out here that are within the Tier 2 and Tier 3 range).

Unboosted (Both Positive and Neutral Natures)

Cinderace, Roaring Moon (370 - Max Speed)
Iron Valiant (364 - Max Speed)
Floatzel (361 - Max Speed without Swift Swim)
Maushold (353 - Max Speed)
Iron Moth, Zoroark-Hisui (350 - Max Speed)
Walking Wake (348 - Max Speed)
Meowscarada (345 - Max Speed for Neutral Nature)
Greninja (343 - Max Speed for Neutral Nature)
Pawmot (339 - Max Speed)
Garchomp (333 - Max Speed)
All Base 100s, Volcarona (328 - Max Speed)
Hydreigon (324 - Max Speed)
Baxcalibur, Great Tusk (300 - Max Speed)
Glimmora, Rotom-Wash (298 - Max Speed)
Ceruledge, Quaquaval (295 - Max Speed)
Gholdengo (293 - Max Speed)
Slither Wing (287 - Max Speed)
Dragonite (284 - Max Speed)
Armarouge (273 - Max Speed)
Pelipper, Scizor (251 - Max Speed)

Boosted (Both Positive and Neutral Natures)

Tyranitar (364 - Max Speed for +1 Jolly Dragon Dance)
Magnezone (360 - Max Speed for Timid Choice Scarf)
Breloom (358 - Max Speed for Jolly Choice Scarf)
Great Tusk (315 - Max Speed for Neutral Rapid Spin +1 on 0 EV Bulky Sets)

What I've listed are some of the fastest and/or strongest Pokemon in OU - I would like to use these calculations to illustrate the point that Electrode has the highest base speed stat of any Pokemon currently in the game (only outsped by the unreleased Regieleki and tying with its unreleased Hisuian counterpart + Calyrex-Shadow). Also, a niche fact worth mentioning is that 371 Speed ties with Adamant Barraskewda outside of Swift Swim Rain. So being able to simply put in 140 EVs without having to invest its nature into Speed is a trait entirely unique to Electrode, and a deceptively powerful trait at that. So what can we do with this ludicrous speed? That leads us to the next part of our analysis - Offense and the Special Attack EV allotment.

Offensive Profile
(Tera Blast Fairy/Thunderbolt + Thresholds)

697px-Scarlet_Violet_Tera_Orb.png

With a Modest nature and 108 EVs invested into its Special Attack stat, Electrode's Special Attack reaches 245; this may seem highly underwhelming, but for what we need to do it's perfect, and it's also why Electrode is running defensive EVs + items (which we'll dive into later). This will need some specific explanation; Spike Stacking teams can have problems taking out threats such as Great Tusk, Garchomp, Roaring Moon, and quite a few others due to not only the predictability of frequent answers but the wide variety of coverage and exploitable options that each of those staples can utilize. This specific Electrode set subverts two common expectations amongst high-level play - that Electrode will be focused on situational utility (baiting Taunt/Swords Dance), and that Electrode will be frail (baiting options like Knock Off on a predicted switch, Earthquake/Headlong Rush on a predicted stay-in, or Swords Dance on either). In the early or mid-game - Electrode can terastallize and proceed to 2HKO these relevant threats (and OHKO a few specific ones) with Tera Blast Fairy.

Tera Blast Fairy OHKOs
FairyIC_Big.png

108+ SpA Tera Fairy Electrode Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Breloom: 270-318 (103.4 - 121.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
108+ SpA Tera Fairy Electrode Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 388-460 (119.3 - 141.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
108+ SpA Tera Fairy Electrode Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Valiant: 270-320 (93.4 - 110.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
108+ SpA Tera Fairy Electrode Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roaring Moon: 352-420 (100.2 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Tera Blast Fairy 2HKOs
FairyIC_Big.png

108+ SpA Tera Fairy Electrode Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Baxcalibur: 204-240 (54.9 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
108+ SpA Tera Fairy Electrode Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 228-270 (71.9 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
108+ SpA Tera Fairy Electrode Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 204-242 (57.1 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
108+ SpA Tera Fairy Electrode Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk: 296-350 (79.7 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

108+ SpA Tera Fairy Electrode Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 296-350 (68.2 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
108+ SpA Tera Fairy Electrode Tera Blast vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Iron Hands: 246-290 (53.1 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
108+ SpA Tera Fairy Electrode Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Meowscarada: 240-284 (81.9 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
108+ SpA Tera Fairy Electrode Tera Blast vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Walking Wake: 210-248 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The great part about quite a few of these threats (notably Great Tusk) is that you really don't have to work hard to bring them in with Electrode, they'll naturally want to come in (especially if they have Spikes/Hazards up on their side of the field and they need to Rapid Spin or Defog). Additionally, You might be wondering three things after seeing those calculations, so I'm going to address those possible questions in a specific order - starting with "Why are any of these 2HKOs impressive?" This is specifically why hyper-offense and spike-stacking teams are where Electrode fits in wonderfully. Let's take those 2HKOs and see what happens to three of those 2HKOs when we apply spikes damage to them as a quick example.

Spikes Layers
GroundIC_Big.png

108+ SpA Tera Fairy Electrode Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
108+ SpA Tera Fairy Electrode Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Meowscarada-- 62.5% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
108+ SpA Tera Fairy Electrode Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after 2 layers of Spikes

These calculations are only for if any of these Pokemon were at 100% before taking Spikes damage, which is why this threshold specifically is so crucial, and why I like to dub Electrode in this sense as a "mid-game menace." This is also why Electrode is specifically meant for Spikes/Hazard stacking teams, as it uses Spikes (or other hazards/match-long residual damage) along with its surprise factor to score critical KOs on vital threats such as Roaring Moon, Great Tusk, Garchomp, and more. Electrode's ability to take down weakened foes through sheer surprise factor and the ability with its specialized bulk to take a hit (we'll get to that in the next major section), is what makes it powerful and why that 245 Special Attack stat is actually imposing once you've whittled down specific threats to a range that the opponent isn't even suspecting to have to worry about. Your opponent will always know to keep their Dark, Dragon, and Fighting-type Pokemon away from Iron Valiant's Moonblast, Hatterene's Draining Kiss, or Azumarill's Play Rough - but to expect an offensive whomp coming from a utility Pokemon packing STAB Tera Blast to severely maim or take down one of your opponent's key threats.

But if this was all that Electrode was packing offensively, the scope would be far too limited for Electrode to be considered for an OU niche - next up we have its STAB Thunderbolt and how stupendously it compliments Tera Blast Fairy. To start, I'd like us to look at some damage calculations (both neutral and super effective) so we can take a look at why the 245 Special Attack stat benchmark works here.

Thunderbolt Thresholds
ElectricIC_Big.png

2HKOs:

108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 242-288 (59.9 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Corviknight: 230-272 (57.6 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dondozo: 284-336 (56.3 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Valiant: 153-180 (52.9 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Tera Water Garganacl: 198-234 (49 - 57.9%) -- 49.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Orthworm: 160-190 (46.6 - 55.3%) -- 73.4% chance to 2HKO
108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Toxapex: 150-176 (49.3 - 57.8%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO
108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zoroark-Hisui: 151-178 (60.1 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

3HKOs:

108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ceruledge: 102-120 (35 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Cinderace: 127-151 (42.1 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 224 HP / 0 SpD Cinderace: 127-151 (35.5 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dondozo: 188-224 (37.3 - 44.4%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Water Garganacl: 156-186 (38.6 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 109-129 (34.6 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Glimmora: 120-142 (39 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Moth: 93-111 (30.8 - 36.8%) -- 69.3% chance to 3HKO
108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kingambit: 115-136 (33.7 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking: 134-162 (34 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Torkoal: 135-160 (39.3 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex: 144-170 (47.3 - 55.9%) -- 18.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcarona: 96-114 (30.8 - 36.6%) -- 61.4% chance to 3HKO
108+ SpA Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Walking Wake: 118-139 (34.5 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So now that we've got an example of its specialized offensive capabilities and the thresholds it reaches along with the potency of residual damage and how the unpredictability of this Electrode complements its ability to force specific switches and lure the previously mentioned threats, you might be on that second question, "Electrode is incredibly frail though, you're not going to be able to do much if you get one shot, right?" That's where we'll dive into how thanks to this EV allotment + Assault Vest allows Electrode to survive hits that will shock you (okay, I'll stop with the electricity puns now I promise... maybe... probably not).

Defensive Profile
(Assault Vest + Physical EVs + Electric/Fairy Type Synergy)

Dream_Assault_Vest_Sprite.png

So now we're at the biggest pondering point - Electrode's defensive prowess; does it actually have any? With 36 HP EVs, 224 Defense EVs, and Assault Vest boosting Special Defense - Electrode's adjusted defensive profile is 270 HP, 232 Defense, and 296 Special Defense. This may not seem like much at first glance, but it lets Electrode be deceptively bulky to a degree that turns many OHKOs into 2HKOs, and many 2HKOs into 3HKOs. To start, I'd like for us to focus on the specific moves that Electrode will commonly be facing - moves such as Earth Power, Earthquake, Headlong Rush, Knock Off, along with some powerful neutral attacks. We'll start by taking a look at Assault Vest and how it handles neutral Special Attacks from some of the tier's most potent threats; we'll be taking a look at calculations for both its pre-tera Electric-type and its post-tera Fairy-type. I'd like to point out for all the coming defensive calculations that as we stated earlier, Electrode can outspeed most, if not everything that is attacking here bar a few exceptions.

Electric-Type Assault Vest
ElectricIC_Big.png

Super Effective Hits

252 SpA Glimmora Earth Power vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 158-188 (58.5 - 69.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Hydreigon Earth Power vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 154-182 (57 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tera Ground Volcarona Tera Blast vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 218-258 (80.7 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Neutral Hits

0 SpA Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 67-81 (24.8 - 30%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 213-252 (78.8 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 132-156 (48.8 - 57.7%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 108-127 (40 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Glimmora Sludge Wave vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 126-148 (46.6 - 54.8%) -- 67.2% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 184-217 (68.1 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Hatterene Draining Kiss vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 58-69 (21.4 - 25.5%) -- 0.2% chance to 4HKO
+1 0 SpA Hatterene Draining Kiss vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 85-102 (31.4 - 37.7%) -- 88.2% chance to 3HKO
132 SpA Iron Moth Fiery Dance vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 102-121 (37.7 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 177-208 (65.5 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 100-118 (37 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Skeledirge Shadow Ball vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 76-90 (28.1 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

0 SpA Slowking Future Sight vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 103-123 (38.1 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Slowking Surf vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 78-93 (28.8 - 34.4%) -- 3.4% chance to 3HKO
8 SpA Torkoal Lava Plume vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode in Sun: 93-109 (34.4 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Volcarona Flamethrower vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 121-144 (44.8 - 53.3%) -- 33.2% chance to 2HKO
244 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 153-180 (56.6 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Zoroark-Hisui Shadow Ball vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 153-181 (56.6 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Resisted Hits

252+ SpA Choice Specs Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 132-156 (48.8 - 57.7%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Iron Valiant Thunderbolt vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 56-66 (20.7 - 24.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 SpA Iron Valiant Thunderbolt vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 37-44 (13.7 - 16.2%) -- possible 7HKO
0 SpA Rotom-Wash Volt Switch vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 32-38 (11.8 - 14%) -- possible 8HKO

Fairy-Type Assault Vest
FairyIC_Big.png

Newly Immune - All Dragon-Type Attacks

Newly Neutral Hits

252 SpA Glimmora Earth Power vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tera Fairy Electrode: 79-94 (29.2 - 34.8%) -- 11.1% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Hydreigon Earth Power vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tera Fairy Electrode: 77-91 (28.5 - 33.7%) -- 0.5% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Tera Ground Volcarona Tera Blast vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tera Fairy Electrode: 109-129 (40.3 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Newly Resisted Hits

252+ SpA Choice Specs Gholdengo Focus Blast vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tera Fairy Electrode: 88-104 (32.5 - 38.5%) -- 98.6% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Gholdengo Focus Blast vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tera Fairy Electrode: 53-63 (19.6 - 23.3%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tera Fairy Electrode: 51-60 (18.8 - 22.2%) -- possible 5HKO

So Electrode can survive some absolutely monstrous hits and isn't even 2HKO'd or even 3HKO'd by some of the nastiest Special Attacks in the tier. So what about its physical bulk? Why those EVs and what are they meant to do? In the case of Electrode's physical bulk, we're going to first start with what Electrode is meant to lure in (and outspeed), and why the individual calculations here are of vital importance. We'll start with Great Tusk and several variants of its offense. The idea here is, either as Great Tusk comes in or after it comes in, you Terastallize and take it out or bring it down to a much more manageable range.

Great Tusk Variants vs Electrode Physical Defense
250px-0984Great_Tusk.png

252 Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 201-237 (74.4 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 100-118 (37 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 54-64 (20 - 23.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

0 Atk Great Tusk Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 138-163 (51.1 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 45-53 (16.6 - 19.6%) -- guaranteed 6HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 150-177 (55.5 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 81-96 (30 - 35.5%) -- 31.7% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 134-158 (49.6 - 58.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

With the exception of Choice Band Earthquake/Headlong Rush, Great Tusk cannot OHKO a Terastallized Electrode with either an Adamant or Jolly Nature. Even Great Tusks's Choice Band Earthquake only has a little over a 50% chance to OHKO Electrode on this set.

252 Atk Choice Band Great Tusk Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 250-295 (92.5 - 109.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

If someone switches Great Tusk into your Electrode, generally it's to absorb a predicted electric attack/predicted Taunt or to spin away hazards. No matter what most Tusk variants do, you now have a pretty solid advantage. If a Great Tusk that isn't Choice Banded uses Headlong Rush or Earthquake, you'll Terastallize and either OHKO Great Tusk if they have chip damage or 2HKO, which puts them in an awkward position - they either have to sacrifice Great Tusk, or switch out to something they think can sponge an Electrode's Tera Blast Fairy, or stay in and lose their Great Tusk. If their Tusk uses Knock Off, you're in an even better position as you'll have even more breathing room - as losing Assault Vest point is not as important as Electrode has successfully facilitated one of its major purposes in OU. Even if your opponent is running Heavy-Duty Boots Tusk and attempts Rapid Spin - by the mid-game or even early game, you should have gotten enough chip damage onto Great Tusk to put it into that Tera Blast Fairy surprise OHKO range (even if it's a bulky variant and uses Rapid Spin, you will still outspeed it).

"Alright, I can see how Tusk can be taken advantage of, but what about the other threats you mentioned?" Well, let's take a look at some of those threats and the damage they wield towards Electrode upon a surprise Terastallization. How about Baxcalibur -

0998Baxcalibur.png

Baxcalibur Glaive Rush vs. Tera Fairy Electrode: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 Atk Baxcalibur Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 120-142 (44.4 - 52.5%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Baxcalibur Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 181-213 (67 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Baxcalibur's Earthquake barely has a chance to 2HKO on non-banded sets (nowhere near enough to put Electrode in Ice Shard range), while Banded Baxcalibur cannot switch to Ice Shard and is forced to either switch out or sacrifice Baxcalibur. Additionally, should your opponent predict what would normally be an obvious switch and use Glaive Rush, he's gonna do a nice helping of 0% damage to your Electrode. What about Garchomp?

250px-0445Garchomp.png

Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. Tera Fairy Electrode: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- possibly the worst move ever
Garchomp Dragon Tail vs. Tera Fairy Electrode: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- possibly the worst move ever
Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. Tera Fairy Electrode: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 138-163 (51.1 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 179-212 (66.2 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tera Fairy Electrode: 100-118 (37 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 166-196 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Garchomp's Earthquake will not be able to OHKO Electrode on most of its common sets (it needs Choice Band Adamant to have an assured 100% OHKO, as Jolly Band, like Great Tusk, only has a 56% chance to OHKO). Electrode can 2HKO Garchomp comfortably on most sets, with even Tank Chomp still being 2HKO'd 95.3% of the time.

108+ SpA Tera Fairy Electrode Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 204-242 (48.5 - 57.6%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO

Since Roaring Moon was mentioned, how about that terrifying crescent moon dragon? What can it do against Electrode?

250px-1005Roaring_Moon.png

Roaring Moon Dragon Claw vs. Tera Fairy Electrode: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252 Atk Protosynthesis Roaring Moon Crunch vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 90-107 (33.3 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Protosynthesis Roaring Moon Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 152-179 (56.2 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Roaring Moon Crunch vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 114-135 (42.2 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Roaring Moon Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 192-226 (71.1 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Electrode will always outspeed (with the exception of Scarf Moon which is... certainly something), and OHKO Roaring Moon with Tera Blast Fairy. Even with Choice Band, Roaring Moon's Earthquake cannot OHKO Electrode. STAB Crunch for a predicted switch is resisted and even with Choice Band, Roaring Moon has the most minuscule of chances (literally 0.4%) to 2HKO Electrode. Of course, using Dragon Claw or Dragon Dance leads to Roaring Moon biting the dust as well. However, let's say that Roaring Moon gets a +1 to its speed from Dragon Dance if you need to switch in Electrode, or let's say that Roaring Moon simply Crunches on a pre-Tera Electrode, what happens then?

+1 252 Atk Protosynthesis Roaring Moon Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 227-268 (84 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Protosynthesis Roaring Moon Crunch vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Electrode: 181-214 (67 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even with +1, Earthquake cannot OHKO Tera-Fairy Electrode, and Crunch cannot OHKO pre-Tera Electrode either. Several of these Pokemon also get access to Iron Head, would that be a solution?

Iron Head Damage Calculations
SteelIC_Big.png

252 Atk Baxcalibur Iron Head vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Electrode: 48-57 (17.7 - 21.1%) -- possible 5HKO
252 Atk Baxcalibur Iron Head vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 192-228 (71.1 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Garchomp Iron Head vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Electrode: 44-52 (16.2 - 19.2%) -- possible 6HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Iron Head vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 178-210 (65.9 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Great Tusk Iron Head vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Electrode: 45-53 (16.6 - 19.6%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
252 Atk Great Tusk Iron Head vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 180-212 (66.6 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Protosynthesis Roaring Moon Iron Head vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Electrode: 60-71 (22.2 - 26.2%) -- 15.3% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Protosynthesis Roaring Moon Iron Head vs. 36 HP / 224 Def Tera Fairy Electrode: 242-286 (89.6 - 105.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Out of all of those super-effective Iron Head hits, only Roaring Moon's Iron Head has a chance to OHKO Tera Fairy Electrode and it's less than a 40% chance. Additionally, in order for Tera-Fairy to get hit by Iron Head - it would already have to be Terastallized and they would have to predict a switch-in as none of these Pokemon are going to be outspeeding Electrode. If Electrode is not yet terastallized, the damage is close to negligible. To wrap up this section of the post - this is why Electrode works here, as it's not only dangerous but additionally forces your opponent into uncomfortable situations through its sheer unpredictability. This leaves us with the last question "Have you been inhaling Torkoal's White Smoke, why is Mirror Coat on this moveset?" This leads us to our final Electrode section which is about the utility aspects of Electrode that allows it to, once again, take down a multitude of surprise foes with deadly efficiency.

Utility Profile
(Mirror Coat + Soundproof + Volt Switch)

Spr_2c_101.png

While this section won't be as large, it is still as important due to what it can potentially accomplish with the right plays. For those who haven't used Mirror Coat (you would be forgiven for that, given as it's normally incredibly situational even on a good day), it's a negative priority move that, if the user is hit by a special attack, returns double damage back on the Pokemon that attacked them. So why would we use Mirror Coat here, an already situational move on an already situational Pokemon like Electrode? Two reasons - Soundproof + Assault Vest's special bulk. Soundproof is an ability that makes Electrode immune to sound-based moves. This includes a variety of powerful/utility moves such as Boomburst, Bug Buzz, Heal Bell, Overdrive, Parting Shot, Perish Song, and, most notably, Skeledirge's exclusive move Torch Song.

To see how Mirror Coat and Soundproof work together before we go further into other examples, we need to go over some quick information. Thanks to Soundproof, Electrode is one of the few Pokemon that Skeledirge cannot freely boost its special attack against. Soundproof is only shared by Electrode's unreleased Hisuian counterpart, and the unreleased Mr. Mime line, Exploud line, Bastiodon line, Bouffalant, and the Kommo-o line. Flash Fire, an ability that makes Pokemon immune to Fire-type moves, is on Ceruledge, Armarouge, Typhlosion, Arcanine, Coalossal, Houndoom, Flareon, and the unreleased Heatran and Arcanine-Hisui. Ceruledge and Armarouge aren't always comfortable switching in because of the potential damage of Shadow Ball, while Arcanine, Typhlosion, Coalossal, and Houndoom are very rare and (barring Coalossal and Houndoom) wouldn't be comfortable switching in to begin with.

To further analyze the potential potency, let's take a look at an interaction Electrode could have with Gholdengo (this is for example purposes and is not wholly indicative of how competitive players think, this is merely just for a demonstration of the power Mirror Coat commands). Let's say that your opponent is running a typical Gholdengo Air Balloon set and switches in on a Pokemon it knows is going to have to switch out. You'll switch in Electrode and, no matter what move it uses, Gholdengo cannot 2HKO Electrode barring a Shadow Ball SpD drop.

252 SpA Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 108-127 (40 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 80-95 (29.6 - 35.1%) -- 17.9% chance to 3HKO

If the person instead uses Nasty Plot, this will still be a good situation for you, as even with a Nasty Plot +2 SpA Boost, Gholdengo cannot OHKO your Electrode.

+2 252 SpA Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 213-252 (78.8 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Electrode: 160-189 (59.2 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Anticipating this huge attack, this is where you'll use Mirror Coat. Let's say they use Shadow Ball, which deals between 213 to 252 damage to your Assault Vest Electrode. 213(2) = 426, 252(2) = 504, this means that Mirror Coat will deal between 426 and 504 damage to Gholdengo. As the max HP Gholdengo can have with 252 EVs is 378, this is an assured OHKO on Gholdengo. Electrode can actively punish offensive play that attempts to prey on its perceived frailty or Pokemon that have boosted anticipating an OHKO even on some bulkier threats. This is just one of the many ways that you can capitalize on various setup sweepers or powerful special attackers. If you're not comfortable with the situation that your Electrode is in, simply Volt Switch out. Unless you're up against Clodsire, Garchomp (which you don't want to Volt Switch out of to begin with, as its one of the Pokemon you'd want to lure), Iron Treads, Ting-Lu, or a fringe Ground-type pick this shouldn't be a problem for you. Momentum is quite a bit easier to achieve with Electrode than you think it would be.

Possible Teammates

Clodsire

250px-0980Clodsire.png

A fantastic Rocks/Toxic setter, specially absorbent with a great type combination - Clodsire speaks for itself. Electrode is bulky with his EVs, but cannot take boosted special hits in the same way that Clodsire can. Electrode and Clodsire's type combinations are pretty synergistic with one another as well, providing necessary relief against particular Choice Specs or boosted threats!

Gholdengo
250px-1000Gholdengo.png

Gholdengo has so many wonderful sets that it can run currently, and it also makes a fantastic partner to Electrode covering many of its weaknesses - including Ground if you're running an Air Balloon variant. Gholdengo is both bulky when you tech its EV allotment to be, and overtly powerful without much investment as well. Whether you need to block status or both Defog and Rapid Spin, Gholdengo is your go-to dude.

Great Tusk
250px-0984Great_Tusk.png

Great Tusk also needs no introduction - it's the current glue holding OU together and is powerful, physically bulky, and surprisingly fast for its stat spread. Ground/Fighting is an incredibly STAB combination that works wonders in the metagame (its dominance helped give Electrode a niche, after all). So if you want a Rapid Spinner, Rock Setter, Knock Off Supplier, or just about anything to hold your team together, look no further than Donphan's ancestor!

Conclusion

800px-Pokedex_Image_Electrode_SV.png

Whew... the Electrode analysis is finally at a close, I cannot even begin to tell you all how sore my eyes, hands, and butt feel after typing this out - I have been sitting at my computer working on this post since around 1:30 pm, and am just finishing it now at nearly 11 pm with only a few small breaks in between. This was exhausting but absolutely worth it, as Electrode has been an absolute blast (sorry, THAT was the last pun) to use in OU! To summarize, Electrode is a situational and highly specialized Pokemon, but when used properly, it can completely turn the course of the match in your favor. So what are you waiting for? If you're looking for a fast, deceptively bulky, and functionally unique Pokemon for your hazard stacking and hyper-offense teams, look no further than Electrode!

Bonus: A Quick Note about Hisuian-Electrode
0101Electrode-Hisui.png

So since pika pal asked me to do so, I'm going to give a quick rundown on some possibilities regarding Hisuian-Electrode. To be absolutely clear to everyone reading, Hisuian-Electrode will outclass normal Electrode in every conceivable way upon its release via Pokemon Home; should you want to use Electrode in OU when Pokemon Home brings the Hisui-mons to us, your focus should be squarely on Electrode's Hisui variant. Here is one of the sets I will be trying upon Hisuian-Electrode's release.

Electrode-Hisui @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soundproof
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 64 Def / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Chloroblast
- Thunderbolt / Giga Drain
- Tera Blast
- Volt Switch / Giga Drain

For Specs, we actually don't need too much Speed investment - 192 EVs with a Timid nature will bring Hisuian Electrode up to blistering 422; this is one point above 252 EV Dragapult with a positive speed nature, capping out at 421. This speed range also outpaces some dangerous boosted Pokemon such as Neutral +1 252 EV Baxcalibur and +1 252 EV Great Tusk which are both at 409. STAB Chloroblast is one of the most insane nukes out there and melts most of OU. Here are some damage calculations to give you a quick idea of how much this absolute monster can do with its combination of Chloroblast, Thunderbolt, and Tera Blast Ice... with a Timid nature, not even Modest -

Chloroblast

252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Chloroblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 638-752 (157.9 - 186.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Chloroblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dondozo: 746-882 (148 - 175%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Chloroblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dondozo: 498-588 (98.8 - 116.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Chloroblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garganacl: 408-482 (100.9 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Chloroblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Glimmora: 315-372 (102.6 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Chloroblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 872-1028 (200.9 - 236.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Chloroblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hatterene: 259-306 (81.4 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Chloroblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Iron Treads: 354-417 (110.2 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Chloroblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Valiant: 400-472 (138.4 - 163.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Chloroblast vs. 252 HP / 244+ SpD Rotom-Wash: 366-432 (120.3 - 142.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Chloroblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking: 356-422 (90.5 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Chloroblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Vessel of Ruin Ting-Lu: 332-392 (64.5 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Chloroblast vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Walking Wake: 310-366 (90.6 - 107%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Thunderbolt

252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 384-452 (95 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ceruledge: 159-187 (54.6 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Cinderace: 201-237 (66.7 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Corviknight: 362-428 (90.7 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dondozo: 300-354 (59.5 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dondozo: 450-530 (89.2 - 105.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Tera Water Garganacl: 312-368 (77.2 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 171-202 (54.2 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Moth: 147-174 (48.8 - 57.8%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Valiant: 241-285 (83.3 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kingambit: 183-216 (53.6 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Orthworm: 255-300 (74.3 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash: 151-178 (49.6 - 58.5%) -- 68% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Torkoal: 213-252 (62 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode-Hisui Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zoroark-Hisui: 238-282 (94.8 - 112.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Tera Blast (Ice)

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Ice Electrode-Hisui Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Amoonguss: 308-366 (71.2 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Ice Electrode-Hisui Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Baxcalibur: 160-189 (43.1 - 50.9%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Ice Electrode-Hisui Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Breloom: 426-504 (163.2 - 193.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Ice Electrode-Hisui Tera Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 204-242 (44 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (If Clodsire has practically any chip damage and switches into Tera Blast Ice, it's done)
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Ice Electrode-Hisui Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 356-422 (112.3 - 133.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Ice Electrode-Hisui Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 284-336 (87.9 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO (I'd like to clarify, this OHKO chance is with Multiscale still up)
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Ice Electrode-Hisui Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 640-760 (152.3 - 180.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Ice Electrode-Hisui Chloroblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 872-1028 (200.9 - 236.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Ice Electrode-Hisui Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 308-366 (94.7 - 112.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Ice Electrode-Hisui Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Meowscarada: 378-446 (129 - 152.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Ice Electrode-Hisui Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roaring Moon: 282-332 (80.3 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You could also use Tera Blast Fighting, Fairy, or Fire, this little Pokenuke has some options. I'm absolutely, positively looking forward to using the behemoth that is Hisuian-Electrode upon its release.

Last edited:

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
I have seen many people think that Great Tusk is still gonna be worth luring even with the 1000000000000000 special attackers coming, sure, It's still gonna be super good, but it has competition from lando, and like I said, the tiers are gonna be heavily shaken, I could be wrong, but I hope Im not so I can basically laugh at everyone who has made lure sets just for one mon

Enamorus (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Mystical Fire
- Earth Power
- Superpower
I'll be honest, I do believe that its not gonna get banned, but this set right here is not looking good, maybe It's because it's 1AM here, but I don't know why you have Superpower on a specs mon with timid, at least make it hasty or something, so you can get ko by a physical dark move. On the enamorus topic, I have one idea

Enamorus (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Agility
- Calm Mind

Welcome to Moltres Galar Simulator, but we are using happiness instead of Flinch spam, I have a lot of meme teams to cook my brothers, and no time (and skill) to do them all.

Electrode
Morbius :blobpex:

If hisui electrode had an ability that powered up ball, blast, bomb or bullet moves by 50%

..and it’s signature move was a ball, blast, bomb or bullet type with 100+ power (imagine a pyro ball clone that was grass or electric type) but not chloroblast lol.

and its movepool included energy ball + electro ball + volt switch

then maybe, it might be on the cusp of OU. Especially if it had coverage moves.

it would kinda be like a slower and weaker eleki used as speed control , but with a way to hit ground types.

now if it signature move was a grass type high BP ball/bomb move that had a 30% chance to paralyse, that would be pure fun. Lol

of course GF doesn’t know how to have fun. They love making strong dragon types. But grass types regularly get shafted lol. Example: mycelium might being strictly inferior to moldbreaker.

Last edited:
If hisui electrode had an ability that powered up ball, blast, bomb or bullet moves by 50%

..and it’s signature move was a ball, blast, bomb or bullet type with 100+ power (imagine a pyro ball clone that was grass or electric type) but not chloroblast lol.

and its movepool included energy ball + electro ball + volt switch

then maybe, it might be on the cusp of OU. Especially if it had coverage moves.

it would kinda be like a slower and weaker eleki used as speed control , but with a way to hit ground types.

now if it signature move was a grass type high BP ball/bomb move that had a 30% chance to paralyse, that would be pure fun. Lol

of course GF doesn’t know how to have fun. They love making strong dragon types. But grass types regularly get shafted lol. Example: mycelium might being strictly inferior to moldbreaker.
Of course, it won't be an easy to use Mon, but I do see Hisuian Electrode viable in OU, due to the second Stab, which combined with Tera Ice Blast, provides pretty respectable coverage.
The power is mid, but at least it has high enough Speed to use Modest nature. If Morkal managed to make Kanto Electrode work, Hisuian will be even easier.

Speaking about Morkal and about Grass types with funny abilities, I have an assigment for him:
Life Orb Brambleghast with Tailwind support. Tried to get UU reqs with it and couldn't, but still got some nice wins vs strong UU teams. At +1 with Tera Ghost and LO + Adamant this Mon does insane damage, at least for UU standards.
Moves: Ghost Tera Blast, Power Whip, Strength Sap, filler (in UU I used Pounce due to Wo Chien being a dominating threat that walls Bramble, in OU probably there are better options) .
UU teammates that provide the Tailwind (just for reference, OU will have better options for sure) :
-Gale Wings Talonflame (doesn't have to be Gale Wings, but it's a suicide Mon anyway)
-Kilowattrel (I used Volt Absorb, but it gets Wind Power)
-Sdef Sassy Eviolite Prankster Murkrow, with Tailwind, Thunder Wave, U-Turn (that's why it was Sassy, even with Tailwind the U-Turns will be slow) and Foul Play.

Have fun trying this, unfortunately I currently don't have much time for OU to do the same.

I discovered this not long ago and I’m a huge fan

Slowking @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Surf
- Ice Beam

A defensive pokemon with an offensive item can only be fun to play

Reactions: tf
I would also like to give a special thank you to Athyestic for the help that allowed me to finalize Electrode's moveset.
Hey hi hello everyone! When Morkal originally posted about this, the 3rd move on the set was Foul Play—which had its niche, sure, but was too rarely clicked. As he was explaining what the mon could do (spread was a bit outdated, but), I mentioned that you needed AV to click, and asked how often Foul Play is clicked. Only then did Morkal and I come to the collective realization of Mirror Coat.
Speaking about Morkal and about Grass types with funny abilities, I have an assigment for him:
Life Orb Brambleghast with Tailwind support. Tried to get UU reqs with it and couldn't, but still got some nice wins vs strong UU teams. At +1 with Tera Ghost and LO + Adamant this Mon does insane damage, at least for UU standards.
Moves: Ghost Tera Blast, Power Whip, Strength Sap, filler (in UU I used Pounce due to Wo Chien being a dominating threat that walls Bramble, in OU probably there are better options) .
UU teammates that provide the Tailwind (just for reference, OU will have better options for sure) :
-Gale Wings Talonflame (doesn't have to be Gale Wings, but it's a suicide Mon anyway)
-Kilowattrel (I used Volt Absorb, but it gets Wind Power)
-Sdef Sassy Eviolite Prankster Murkrow, with Tailwind, Thunder Wave, U-Turn (that's why it was Sassy, even with Tailwind the U-Turns will be slow) and Foul Play.
Morkal and I have tried to make Brambleghast work, running everything from Band (my preferred set) to the standard Spin Spikes Sap, and none of us could produce anything that consistent. It’s offensive profile is great but it struggles to hit the field and if it’s defensive it can barely make progress due to being too frail to not click Strength Sap.

it’s a good mon, for sure, but very tricky.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
And no Garganacl suspect was done and will probably never be done
the end

Uh yeah, that's about it really, time to make some questions to make some convo

1) Your current opinion gen 9 ou
2) favorite mons to use
3) most overrated
4) most underrated
5) hopes and dreams for HOME?

View attachment 517248
The SV OU tiering council is voting on the following Pokémon’s legality in a post-Home metagame.
Zama possibly gets tested I guess? Zamazenta goes free?

Also last respects ban incoming!

Also rapid strike could honestly get the boot this from OU this gen, taunt + SD shuts down any sort of bulky counterplay to it, as pex, slowbro, and dondozo literally become setup fodder to it.

And no Garganacl suspect was done and will probably never be done
the end

Uh yeah, that's about it really, time to make some questions to make some convo

1) Your current opinion gen 9 ou
2) favorite mons to use
3) most overrated
4) most underrated
5) hopes and dreams for HOME?
ooo ok lets do these

1 - fun, though a bit more stale than i'd personally like
2 - fuckin love double quiver dance with oricorio and volc
3 - idrk, there arent many mons that feel overrated? the mons that are popular have damn good reason to be currently
4 - i kinda love using scarf gallade?? psychic/fighting covers a surprising amount of the top meta mons, i usually pair it with bulk up ceruledge
5 - please god give me a flying type that isnt corviknight

ooo ok lets do these

1 - fun, though a bit more stale than i'd personally like
2 - fuckin love double quiver dance with oricorio and volc
3 - idrk, there arent many mons that feel overrated? the mons that are popular have damn good reason to be currently
4 - i kinda love using scarf gallade??psychic/fighting covers a surprising amount of the top meta mons, i usually pair it with bulk up ceruledge
5 - please god give me a flying type that isnt corviknight
Welp, you are getting tons of good flyers, like torn-t and zap, as well as goltres and lando-t, so I hope you are happy! Torn-T is gonna be so nice for this meta

Annihilape: I would rather Unban Miraidon before this.
Basculegion: Ban Last Respects and give me the ghost doggo.
Chi Yu: Ban.
Chien Pao: I regret banning this guy, but still there are some tools that destroy offense. I would vote No Ban currently, but it's not realistic.
Espathra: As long as Tera is allowed (hopefully forever) I don't want this in OU.
Flutter Mane: Ban.
Houndstone: I don't actually see this broken even with Last Respect, without it, it's a useful wall for OU.
Iron Bundle: Almost all my Ubers teams have this guy, it's that good.
Lando-I: Ban.
Magearna: Ban Trick and then we can talk about unbanning this.
Palafin: Ban.
Regieleki: See Espathra, it's the same.
Spectrier: Ban.
Utshifu: Ban.
Zamazenta: Initially Ban, retest when meta settles down. I do think it fits in OU, but shouldn't be tested in the initial chaotic Meta.
Zamazenta Crowned: Same, but retest only if Hero form ends up healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)