Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I’ve been searching around for hazard removal that can beat Ghold and I believe I might’ve found it, Toedscruel. I will be using this set for reference.

Toedscruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Mycelium Might
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off/Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Toxic/Spore

With either max SpD or enough speed to outrun Timid Ghold, it can always 1v1 Ghold, and if it decides to Tera, you just spin on it anyways since its no longer a ghost type.

0 SpA Toedscruel Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 174-206 (55.2 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Toedscruel Earth Power vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Gholdengo: 174-206 (47.8 - 56.5%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO

+2 252+ SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toedscruel: 279-328 (76.6 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Its Grass/Ground typing means it also 1v1s Ting-Lu. However a spinner should also provide other forms of defensive utility. Its 80/120 special bulk lets it eat Specs Pult Shadow Balls and non-Ice Beam Gren, with a low roll to be 3HKOd by the former. Plus it can 1v1 Curse Garg thanks to Mycelium Might Toxic.

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toedscruel: 103-123 (28.2 - 33.7%) -- 0.6% chance to 3HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toedscruel: 126-149 (34.6 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

Being fat asf on the special side means it can even trade hits with things like Zapdos or Wake and get off a Toxic. Wait, Toxic on a non-Poison type in Gen 9 OU? Yes, but thats not all.

There are only four Pokemon with the infamous Toxic + Knock combo and Toedscruel is one of them. Made more potent by its ground stab threatening toxic immunes and its ability that ignores Purifying Salt and Magic Bounce. All of this makes Toed great at making progress and denying progress, especially against the many common spike stacking offenses in the tier. Knock or Giga Drain is a must for breaking Ghold’s Balloon. Knock has alot of utility but Giga Drain can help with the Samu and Tusk mu. Alternatively it can also act as a hazard lead that can 1v1 other hazard leads and provide its own unblockable hazards. Toed has alot of anti-meta traits that make it worth at least trying. At this point we’re all starved for hazard removal til DLC1 brings us something.

If Toedscruel’s ability was just mold breaker for status then it would be so much better.

Also to not have this be a one liner, what are everyone’s thoughts on starters coming back for dlc?

If Toedscruel’s ability was just mold breaker for status then it would be so much better.

Also to not have this be a one liner, what are everyone’s thoughts on starters coming back for dlc?
GameFreaks balance choices are often questionable at best and this gen might be the single most power crept Gen ever (we're getting another 7 legendary tier Pokemon with the DLC, and probably a couple more since I doubt they don't finish the Legendary Paradox Pokemon cycles), but even they know to not give us a 100 base speed spore user. Seriously, nothing good can come of that.

As for your question, I'm curious if Empoleon's learning of Roost will carry over from Legends. A healing move would be a huge gain for it's ability to play defense.

For those asking about Wigglytuff, I posted this set a while back - hard stops Dragapult, can lure and kill Kingambit, along with Draining Kiss + huge HP Wish passing

To avoid this being a one-liner - before we jump into the DLC, are there any Pokecores you've all been running that you've found effective on your team builds?
Moltres + Glowking + Kingambit + Pray you don't match w Sandy Shocks

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
As for your question, I'm curious if Empoleon's learning of Roost will carry over from Legends. A healing move would be a huge gain for it's ability to play defense.
I can see Empoleon becoming viable (or at least seriously experimented with) if it got Roost. While losing Scald sucks, it has access to Roar for phazing and can set Rocks. Self-sustain could turn it a very annoying shuffler (pair with Knock Off user for best results) with its good typing making it hard to break. I'd actually consider running Brine on it, too, unless we do get Scald back.

does hisui zoroark get a defense buff under snow when it's disguised as cetitan or any other ice type? or is it a bug? cause I just noticed zoroark's def stat got buffed when it still has it's illusion up, but not after it's gone

does hisui zoroark get a defense buff under snow when it's disguised as cetitan or any other ice type? or is it a bug? cause I just noticed zoroark's def stat got buffed when it still has it's illusion up, but not after it's gone
It's probably just a visual thing saying it has def up but not actually applying it so as to keep up the disguise and not be immediately outed as a disguise by the fact that it doesn't show a def buff when it should have one. At least that would be my logical assumption and could be totally wrong.

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
It's probably just a visual thing saying it has def up but not actually applying it so as to keep up the disguise and not be immediately outed as a disguise by the fact that it doesn't show a def buff when it should have one. At least that would be my logical assumption and could be totally wrong.
You're never able to see the stats of your opponent's Pokemon directly though, so there shouldn't be a need for them to be altered; it's not a buff like from Protosynthesis or after a move like Swords Dance has been used, which are displayed directly on the screen for both players. Stat buffs like the SpDef buff from Sand, the Def buff from Snow, and a buff from any Choice item can only be seen if you hover over your own Pokemon and look at its stats, which is obviously something you can't do to your opponent's Pokemon. Coincidentally, Protosynthesis buffs are not displayed by a Zoroark's illusion in sun, as shown by this replay, so that does give Zoroark away.

Wesley23675 - I tested this interaction more and it is strange. Illusion only impacts the aesthetics of a Pokemon and the displayed stat buffs don't seem to actually impact the damage calculations, so I don't know why they're listed; I'm sure other people would know more concretely than I do, but I don't think that any of Zoroark's stats would change on cartridge, so I'm inclined to believe that this may be a bug on Showdown. Again though, I don't know a ton about this specific mechanic so I'm sorry if I'm missing something; I just wanted to present the data I obtained through testing:

Images showing the defense boost being listed for Zoroark's illusion in Snow:
Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 9.06.01 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 9.01.55 AM.png

Replays showing that the represented defense buff from snow doesn't actually make Zoroark take less damage:
Zoroark takes 44% from Ice Spinner without Snow
Zoroark takes 48% from Ice Spinner with Snow

Images showing that the same interaction happens when Zoroark is impersonating a Rock-type in Sand:
Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 9.18.42 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 9.19.49 AM.png

Replays showing that the represented special defense buff from Sand doesn't actually make Zoroark take less damage:
Zoroark takes 35% from Ice Beam without Sand
Zoroark takes 35% from Ice Beam with Sand

The Wigglytuff talk and a bit of the Dudunsparce cooking after is reminding me of RBY Porygon, a clearly-bad Mon who people look at simply because the things they can (not WILL but can) counter consistently are just that stupidly relevant.

One thing I've been mulling over: How many (confirmed) DLC mons just contribute to the way the current Meta is but-stronger? Example here would be Alolan Ninetales 9/10 times being a superior Aurora Veil setter for the existing Bax squad. I'm asking primarily about "upgrades" to current trends because those are a little easier to discuss than projecting shake ups from new influences like Gliscor.

Also GF please let Flygon keep Defog in this Spike Hell, I might finally be able to have it do something post-DS OU

I'm going to use this lull between HOME and DLC to bring up something once again:

Sleep Clause should be removed in every tier where Sleep Clause is not possible to be replicated on cart, that is intending to replicate cart.

ie. Gen 1 OU we've just decided as a community, ain't fuckin trying. Either with Freeze Mod, the issue of Tradebacks, and not being Stadium for Sleep Clause.

Tiers like Petmods, CAP, most Other Metagames should continue to do whatever they please, but something like Hackmons which also follows cart rules (even if simutaneously breaking them) should also get rid of Sleep Clause.

Every main OU besides Gen 1 should get rid of Sleep Clause, and all tiers below as well, especially SV.

Cartridge over you. I do not give a FUCK what you find more fun, cartridge mechanics over you. Sleep Clause is simply fake shit we adopted from a spinoff that has not been relevant in literal decades. It should never have been used as serious policy.

If this makes sleep broken? Ban it. Not only has Gen 5 OU done this successfully (rare Gen 5 OU W) creating precedent, but there really should not be an argument. If you have to make a mechanic that is not replicatable on cart in order to balance a thing, you just throw it out.

"We don't play on cart anyways" so we should just balance the game however we want, then? Where do we stop the line? Literally just Sleep Clause? Then why even have Sleep Clause, if only removing Sleep Clause immediately puts it in line with the most objective metric for "valid tiering decisions": Can it be done on cart?

Yes I am aware tiering policy makes an exception for Sleep Clause. That's dumb. Imagine reading a rulebook and it says "You can tag any player, except James because if we ban him he won't invite us to his house, and he has a Gamecube so..."

"As a vegan you are not permitted to eat any meat, except for if the meat is on a taco specifically."

that's so silly lmfao

How is Sleep this sacred that we need a several decade long debate to ban it? This is like such an obvious slam dunk. Uncompetitive mechanic, no one likes it (except Gen 1 which is an exception), we have to literally break our own rules in order to make it possible, its only precedent is because we made the initial mistake in the first place, etc.

I hope to be smoking on that Sleep Clause pack within a year, please Big Stall make my wish come true.

Last edited:
What are people's thoughts on :sv/Baxcalibur:?

I think it's definitely unhealthy for the tier. Dragon Dance sets get in through pivoting or on passive things like Corv, Dragon Dance, Tera to avoid whatever revenge-killer you sent in, Dragon Dances again, and proceeds to sweep you. At this point, your best option is to hope your revenge-killer chipped it enough to let Kingambit sucker punch kill it, but that might require having half of your Pokemon die. For example, say you are running Iron Valiant as your RKer for Bax. You're running Scarf or BE Valiant as your speed control of choice. You Moonblast as it Teras Ice (which is not even a very common Tera type, but just for the example), you do ~50%, it DDs, you die next turn to Icicle Spear/Crash. From that point, you have to have 3 allies fainted with Kingambit before Sucker Punch even has a 50%+ chance to kill the Bax, and 4 dead allies for it to be guaranteed. Meanwhile, +2 Bax is fucking wrecking your team. Keep in mind that if ANY of these variables change (Bax Teras Fairy or Steel and you mispredict with CC/Moonblast, your BE/Scarf has been used up or knocked, Bax just fucking attacks on the Valiant switch instead of setting up, or if Snow from the extremely common Chilly Reception is up), you just straight-up lose. So, what do you do? If you're like most builders, you slot physically defensive Dondozo onto your team. While Dozo does check Dragon Dance Tera Fairy Bax, it struggles against the other Bax set, which is Choice Band. With Choice Band and Tera Dragon, the only real safe way to defensively check it is with Tera Fairy Dozo (I say check because Icicle Crash flinches can still let you beat it 30% of the time). But being forced to run Tera Fairy Dozo on every single team besides extremely hyper offense is overcentralizing and stupid. And what's the opportunity cost for using Bax? Even if your opponent does run Tera Fairy Dozo, Dozo is tasked with handling every physical attacker in the meta and Bax can still use its incredible base attack to fire off Icicle Crashes still. This is why I believe that Bax is dumb and should be banned

I'm going to use this lull between HOME and DLC to bring up something once again:

Sleep Clause should be removed in every tier where Sleep Clause is not possible to be replicated on cart, that is intending to replicate cart.

ie. Gen 1 OU we've just decided as a community, ain't fuckin trying. Either with Freeze Mod, the issue of Tradebacks, and not being Stadium for Sleep Clause.

Tiers like Petmods, CAP, most Other Metagames should continue to do whatever they please, but something like Hackmons which also follows cart rules (even if simutaneously breaking them) should also get rid of Sleep Clause.

Every main OU besides Gen 1 should get rid of Sleep Clause, and all tiers below as well, especially SV.

Cartridge over you. I do not give a FUCK what you find more fun, cartridge mechanics over you. Sleep Clause is simply fake shit we adopted from a spinoff that has not been relevant in literal decades. It should never have been used as serious policy.

If this makes sleep broken? Ban it. Not only has Gen 5 OU done this successfully (rare Gen 5 OU W) creating precedent, but there really should not be an argument. If you have to make a mechanic that is not replicatable on cart in order to balance a thing, you just throw it out.

"We don't play on cart anyways" so we should just balance the game however we want, then? Where do we stop the line? Literally just Sleep Clause? Then why even have Sleep Clause, if only removing Sleep Clause immediately puts it in line with the most objective metric for "valid tiering decisions": Can it be done on cart?

Yes I am aware tiering policy makes an exception for Sleep Clause. That's dumb. Imagine reading a rulebook and it says "You can tag any player, except James because if we ban him he won't invite us to his house, and he has a Gamecube so..."

"As a vegan you are not permitted to eat any meat, except for if the meat is on a taco specifically."

that's so silly lmfao

How is Sleep this sacred that we need a several decade long debate to ban it? This is like such an obvious slam dunk. Uncompetitive mechanic, no one likes it (except Gen 1 which is an exception), we have to literally break our own rules in order to make it possible, its only precedent is because we made the initial mistake in the first place, etc.

I hope to be smoking on that Sleep Clause pack within a year, please Big Stall make my wish come true.
This isn’t the right place to post this, if you want something to actually change you should request Policy Review access and post this there after refining it to be more formal.

This isn’t the right place to post this, if you want something to actually change you should request Policy Review access and post this there after refining it to be more formal.

I mean this doesn't seem like a outright call to ban this thing and for council to act asap, but rather intended to share their thoughts and spark some discussion on this public thread for everyone to participate.

that's so silly lmfao

Sleep clause has existed for over 20 years and was created by Nintendo. It's not going anywhere. If we wanted to "replicate cart" then why not equalize animation length with cart and have a 20 minute timer that counts down during the animations and times out before any battle is complete, just like cart? That way multiplayer can be just as unplayable here as it is on cart. We could have the game end instantly if someone accidentally hits Spore again but why not instead have a game with better quality of life? Hell let's get rid of visible HP percentages, speed ranges, and PP usages too.

sleep isn't a "constant debate" it's been settled 20 years ago save for reasonless objections like these. BW was different because its sleep mechanics were different than any prior or following game.

And the silly vegan comparison isn't quite right either, many vegans would behappy to see someone eating almost no meat at all rather than dwelling on the imperfection

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?

that's so silly lmfao

I also would like to have Sleep banned in every generation except for RBY, since Sleep is an integral part of the metagame and there is at least precedent from Stadium (although as an aside, there are other mechanics differences from Stadium that aren't implemented on Showdown, like how Focus Energy was fixed in Stadium, but I don't know the reasoning behind that), but if your motivation is to try to be as close to cartridge as possible over all else, you're still going to run into some issues. How could you ban Sleep to remove the Sleep Clause mod but not have to still mod the game to prevent things like Effect Spore and Dire Claw from causing Sleep? I guess you could just ban Sleep moves and hope that things like Dire Claw or Effect Spore don't proc it repeatedly, but what is truly the benefit from opening up that possibility? Also, how would you deal with Freeze Clause in pursuit of making the game more similar to cart? To my knowledge, there isn't any precedent for Freeze Clause (unlike Sleep Clause from Stadium) and the game definitely needs to be modded to implement it, so if you want to get rid of all mods, then you would have to remove Freeze Clause; doing so would almost certainly make RBY a worse tier, and the other tiers that have Freeze Clause (which I think are now GSC, ADV, and DPP) wouldn't improve in any way from Freeze Clause being removed. Even if you say that you're going to leave Freeze Clause in RBY and GSC (where the mechanics are also more punishing than in other generations), how is that any different from Sleep Clause currently being an exception to trying to imitate cartridge play?

I think what it boils down to is that Showdown is ultimately an artificial game to begin with, and certain clauses and mods have been put in place to make the game better. I understand that there needs to be some sort of framework rooted in the idea of staying true to how cart functions, because otherwise the game could stray too far from "actual Pokemon," but Showdown is still clearly different from cartridge play even if you exclude things like Sleep or Freeze Clause. One of the most fundamental parts of playing on Showdown is seeing the HP percents for things like gleaning sets from damage rolls and seeing the likelihood of an attack KOing. If you play on cart without the HP percents, that alone is enough to make the game very different, and yeah, I get that you theoretically could use a ruler and measure the HP bars to calculate HP percents, and while that is hype when it happens in nuzlockes and stuff, it isn't realistic for competitive play. I'm not going to even get into the likelihood of having certain old event moves on various mons (like the famous Wish Chansey/Blissey in previous generations) and those event mons also having proper IVs. So, to me at least, it's good that Smogon tries to emulate how games function on console, but it isn't as important as making the game as competitive and "high quality" as possible. Sure, if you want Sleep banned because you think that it's an uncompetitive mechanic, that's cool, and it's also fine if you want to use the whole Sleep Clause aspect as an additional benefit of just banning Sleep, but I don't feel like trying to completely mimic cartridge play should be the core motivation. It's difficult to come up with an exact framework for how things like this are/should be handled, since it almost feels to me like there is a degree of common sense involved that dictates when cartridge play needs to be deviated from, but it's always difficult to write rules and guidelines that incorporate common sense; it's like in a football game where if they rule a runner down before he fumbled and blow the play dead before a defender scoops up the fumble and has a clear path to the end zone, but they review the play and saw that he lost the ball before his knee hit, the refs can't award the team that was on defense a touchdown, even though the player would have clearly scored (I also know that they try to let plays like that complete before deciding if it was a fumble for this very reason, but they still whistle it dead prematurely sometimes). With all of that said though, Smogon is a relatively small (in relation to Pokemon fandom as a whole) online community dealing with an even more niche form of competitive Pokemon, so it's not like their decisions need to hold up in a court of law or anything. I'm fine with there being some inconsistencies in the competitive ruleset, as long as they contribute to a better player experience.

Hpdsd is probably correct that this doesn't have much to do with metagame discussion, although many of the other posts in this thread don't either, especially while people are just waiting for the DLC. I'll try to get back to relevant metagame discussion though:

What are people's thoughts on :sv/Baxcalibur:?

I think it's definitely unhealthy for the tier. Dragon Dance sets get in through pivoting or on passive things like Corv, Dragon Dance, Tera to avoid whatever revenge-killer you sent in, Dragon Dances again, and proceeds to sweep you. At this point, your best option is to hope your revenge-killer chipped it enough to let Kingambit sucker punch kill it, but that might require having half of your Pokemon die. For example, say you are running Iron Valiant as your RKer for Bax. You're running Scarf or BE Valiant as your speed control of choice. You Moonblast as it Teras Ice (which is not even a very common Tera type, but just for the example), you do ~50%, it DDs, you die next turn to Icicle Spear/Crash. From that point, you have to have 3 allies fainted with Kingambit before Sucker Punch even has a 50%+ chance to kill the Bax, and 4 dead allies for it to be guaranteed. Meanwhile, +2 Bax is fucking wrecking your team. Keep in mind that if ANY of these variables change (Bax Teras Fairy or Steel and you mispredict with CC/Moonblast, your BE/Scarf has been used up or knocked, Bax just fucking attacks on the Valiant switch instead of setting up, or if Snow from the extremely common Chilly Reception is up), you just straight-up lose. So, what do you do? If you're like most builders, you slot physically defensive Dondozo onto your team. While Dozo does check Dragon Dance Tera Fairy Bax, it struggles against the other Bax set, which is Choice Band. With Choice Band and Tera Dragon, the only real safe way to defensively check it is with Tera Fairy Dozo (I say check because Icicle Crash flinches can still let you beat it 30% of the time). But being forced to run Tera Fairy Dozo on every single team besides extremely hyper offense is overcentralizing and stupid. And what's the opportunity cost for using Bax? Even if your opponent does run Tera Fairy Dozo, Dozo is tasked with handling every physical attacker in the meta and Bax can still use its incredible base attack to fire off Icicle Crashes still. This is why I believe that Bax is dumb and should be banned
I agree, Bax is really dumb. Tera inevitably makes setup sweepers even stronger because sometimes all it takes is one turn of setup for them to snowball. Dondozo helps hold the tier together somewhat against them, but you're right in that it can still be muscled past by mons like Banded Baxcalibur and Gambit, in part thanks to Tera Dragon and Dark respectively. On top of this, Dondozo isn't the poster child for a healthy metagame either because it doesn't feel particularly right to me how it can blank so many physical attackers, although I'm not saying that Dondozo is broken or unhealthy at all. Even without Tera, Bax is still incredibly difficult to answer defensively and it feels very constricting to the metagame.

Last edited:
Again, I know Finch said there will be no more suspects before the 13th (which makes sense considering the timeline of suspects), but if there was anything that was suspect worthy rn it would probably be Bax. Alongside Valiant, it's kind of become the poster child for ridiculous setup sweepers that only need one free turn to win. The few switchins it has can't really do much to it aside from Dozo, which is sort of like both Sires in that it's a momentum sink that exists to deal with broken mons (although it has more offensive utility than both). On top of that its ability lets it bypass one of the oldest methods used to deal with ridiculous DD sweepers. Assuming DLC doesn't shake things up too much (if anything it might give it more tools via move tutors, although Tera already lets every attacker patch up their coverage w/o needing to wait for tutor moves) I'd support a Bax suspect

Last edited:

Karxrida

Sleep clause has existed for over 20 years and was created by Nintendo. It's not going anywhere. If we wanted to "replicate cart" then why not equalize animation length with cart and have a 20 minute timer that counts down during the animations and times out before any battle is complete, just like cart? That way multiplayer can be just as unplayable here as it is on cart. We could have the game end instantly if someone accidentally hits Spore again but why not instead have a game with better quality of life? Hell let's get rid of visible HP percentages, speed ranges, and PP usages too.
Joke's on you, I unironically want a hard timer. Just about every competitive game ever has one in some capacity and we don't for some ungodly reason. The problem is more the feasibility and resources required to accurately replicate animation length, if at all.

Also running out the timer is technically a legit stall strat so I don't know why we aren't all over that lol.

Joke's on you, I unironically want a hard timer. Just about every competitive game ever has one in some capacity and we don't for some ungodly reason. The problem is more the feasibility and resources required to accurately replicate animation length, if at all.

Also running out the timer is technically a legit stall strat so I don't know why we aren't all over that lol.
Not having the animations is something tournaments very much should do. They add a ton of time to games for no gain and it frustrates me to no end that Gen 9 doesn't have a way to turn off animations.

Running the clock isn't a legit strat in a lot of games. At the very least I know in in Magic the Gathering you'd get a warning for actively playing slowly. Obviously, some styles of play take longer to win than others, but if you're up a game in a set and decide to become a snail that is super unsporting behavior.

Karxrida

Not having the animations is something tournaments very much should do. They add a ton of time to games for no gain and it frustrates me to no end that Gen 9 doesn't have a way to turn off animations.
I agree with you there tbf. I just brought up the animation thing because last time this subject was discussed seriously, people were super anal about that. Gotta fuel that Nirvana/perfect solution fallacy.

Running the clock isn't a legit strat in a lot of games. At the very least I know in in Magic the Gathering you'd get a warning for actively playing slowly. Obviously, some styles of play take longer to win than others, but if you're up a game in a set and decide to become a snail that is super unsporting behavior.
Last I checked, in-game Pokémon has a per-turn timer or something (hell, we have an optional one already) that doesn't necessitate direct rules about slow play, plus there is a system to determine a winner if the clock runs out. The latter enables time stalling as a potentially legitimate strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 9)