Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a difference between informed guesses on what will happen and pure speculation for the sake of it. For instance, we can make an informed guess that Clefable will lose Softboiled, as it was a transfer move only for several generations. We can make an informed guess that Clefable will not have Softboiled.

Alolan Ninetales has Hail and Aurora Veil in thw previous two generations, and neither of these have been removed (albeit Hail -> Snow). Assuming that Alolan Ninetales will have those two traits, and thus may have Overused viability is an informed guess.

Saying that a Pokemon will get a brand new ability and randomly different stats is unserious speculation.

Here is an informed guess versus arbitrary speculation:

-The new announced type comes alongside a screenshot with Tera Blast, which is Neutral on the opposing Dragonite. Scarlet and Violet updates Tera Blast's UI to be "Super-Effective" when the Terastilize button is pressed. Therefore, Tera Blast must be neutral, and very likely is not something like "Automatically changes type to be Super-Effective." Perhaps this means this new type is more regarding neutrality than getting an advantage.

-Because the Legend Plate exists in Legends Arceus, maybe this type allows you change STAB every turn to hit super effectively?

Regardless, this all effects the Overused Metagame, Underused Metagame, Rarelyused... These changes, the DLC, effects all of them. This is not a new generation incoming, it is an update to what we are playing.
But we aren't playing this. It's about metagame discussion as they are now. Informed guesses, speculation, all that has a place in the Orange Islands. I figured this thread is about "how are these trends affecting us now, not on the future" I'm only being a stickler because I come here to learn and keep up with the ever evolving meta. Mods made a whole thread to discuss tera cause it kept cluttering the main thread. I really alwan a talk about the current trends somewhere, and lol and behold, this is the spot.

So, kind mods, able to remove posts for being too "jokey", can you tell me where I can go to discuss the current metagame trends? I'll gladly migrate there. Promise I'll stay on topic.

Last edited:
But we aren't playing this. It's about metagame discussion as they are now. Informed guesses, speculation, all that has a place in the Orange Islands. I figured this thread is about "how are these trends affecting us now, not on the future" I'm only being a stickler because I come here to learn and keep up with the ever evolving meta. Mods made a whole thread to discuss tera cause it kept cluttering the main thread. I really alwan a talk about the current trends somewhere, and lol and behold, this is the spot.

So, kind mods, able to remove posts for being too "jokey", can you tell me where I can go to discuss the current metagame trends? I'll gladly migrate there. Promise I'll stay on topic.
Prior to the release of HOME there was a lot of speculation about the HOMEmons in that thread as well. And that was in a meta that was decently balanced and fun (post-Shed Tail at least). It's not really a surprise that people would ratehr talk about new additions that will make the meta look very different, especially considering how little people seem to like this one

Yeah it'd need to Tera Dark to be immune to Psychic Noise.
Tera Dark is already a good tera type for Clod so thats not unheard of.

But Psychic Noise could actually see massive stonk increases for many bulky Dark types. Suddenly Mons like Wo-Chien, Umbreon, and Grimmsnarl come to mind.

Prior to the release of HOME there was a lot of speculation about the HOMEmons in that thread as well. And that was in a meta that was decently balanced and fun (post-Shed Tail at least). It's not really a surprise that people would ratehr talk about new additions that will make the meta look very different, especially considering how little people seem to like this one
But we have a place for that. I'm not complaining about the speculation, just that we literally have a spot for that. I'd expect that thread to blow up, and it would if folks weren't on here instead.

I'm not even sure if this convo breaks the rules, I'm not sure what being on topic is. Seriously, where do I go for this current meta discussion? Like current terra trends that caught people off guard?

Tera Dark is already a good tera type for Clod so thats not unheard of.

But Psychic Noise could actually see massive stonk increases for many bulky Dark types. Suddenly Mons like Wo-Chien, Umbreon, and Grimmsnarl come to mind.
Tera dark isn't a good clod type because you then become weak to the fairies you put clod on a team to check in the first place. That's part of what made people realize how busted Espathra was. Plus stall already needs Tera types to cover for offensive grasses and the like.

Also no psychic Noise isn't making unviable darks viable. Umbreon and Grimm still suck.

Tera dark isn't a good clod type because you then become weak to the fairies you put clod on a team to check in the first place. That's part of what made people realize how busted Espathra was. Plus stall already needs Tera types to cover for offensive grasses and the like
Wow. Psychics are either busted or useless, with very little in between.

Even my Hatterene uses Draining Kiss far more than what feels like a filler Psychic move, even though the latter is at least 30 bo higher

I sleep on Future Sight and it's cost me many a match.

I keep forgetting it's as strong as solar beam and it's a combo move.

As a gen wunner, Solar Beam is my move of reference.

I know everyone talking about this "Aurora" Tera thingy but I have a different Aurora in my head. The Veil.
A-Tales + Bax gonna be super annoying to deal with an I hope we have a way to solve this problem.

I know everyone talking about this "Aurora" Tera thingy but I have a different Aurora in my head. The Veil.
A-Tales + Bax gonna be super annoying to deal with an I hope we have a way to solve this problem.
We can just ban Baxalibur when it's found to be broken under Aurora Veil. Excalibur doesn't actually contribute much defensively aside from being a Water-resist while being really hard to answer defensively.

The problem is this meta is basically a dead meta, the current trends are effectively irrelevant and this is effectively uncharted territory people are more interested in the effects 100+ new Pokémon will have on the meta in less than a month
We can just ban Baxalibur when it's found to be broken under Aurora Veil. Excalibur doesn't actually contribute much defensively aside from being a Water-resist while being really hard to answer defensively.
Consider we where already discussing light clay/grimmsnarl/dragapult bans I think we end up with some kind of action taking against that archetype itself

I thought this was the metagame discussion thread, none of these mons are in the metagame now, and we are literally making up stats for them (reasonable assumptions to be sure, but still).

Am I in the right thread?

Outside of that, I gotta say that rn, this meta is more creative than I have it credit for. I'm having fun with Drifblim in OU. Drifblim! So much wackiness this gen.
Metagame thread been in the toilet for awhile but yes they should really just go to Orange Islands equivalent.
Bumping this bc people don't read.

A single twitter post from a person just making up their own ideas. Of course people are now running with the name like it's a given.
Basically they did a "Because someone called it this way and stuck"... Sounds like something the community would do. As a reminder, we're the community who called the cut of pokémons DEXIT and called mons shiny before its official nomination, while we're close to a community who called a cloud platform Randall, names a special launching angle Sakurai from pure spite and also persistent hitbox kicks... I can't say it on smogon (Please smogon don't ban me for the last link).

uppa

i like to play and draw.
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
Basically they did a "Because someone called it this way and stuck"... Sounds like something the community would do. As a reminder, we're the community who called the cut of pokémons DEXIT and called mons shiny before its official nomination, while we're close to a community who called a cloud platform Randall, names a special launching angle Sakurai from pure spite and also persistent hitbox kicks... I can't say it on smogon (Please smogon don't ban me for the last link).
And still tpc insists on "First partner pokemon" rather than saying starter like an earth-born human being.

What is there to discuss? The metagame is incredibly stale and unlikely to change in the near future before the dlc drops. The topics that are there have been discussed to death and with Kingambit not being banned here, the metagame is just stuck.

And if you really feel that way, maybe YOU could contribute to discussions.
Perfect!

What tera types and strategies have caught you off guard lately? Gale Wings Talonflame caught me pretty hard. It was Talon's claim to fame, I'm so used to being defensive this meta! Legit thought I was facing a hacker for a bare moment.

FYI that's literally what Orange Islands is for. We literally, literally have a spot for exactly what you mention.

Perfect!

What tera types and strategies have caught you off guard lately? Gale Wings Talonflame caught me pretty hard. It was Talon's claim to fame, I'm so used to being defensive this meta! Legit thought I was facing a hacker for a bare moment.

FYI that's literally what Orange Islands is for. We literally, literally have a spot for exactly what you mention.
Sorry to be rude, but where are said orange islands? Hope is not an insult to kick us off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)