Resource SV BSS Good Cores

gholdengo.png
SV BATTLE STADIUM SINGLES GOOD CORES
dragonite.png

Hosted by Bachy | OP Mostly Stolen From Several Others Good Cores Threads ?) | Approved By Forum Mods

Building a team is the first step to get into battles. This can be quite difficult at times and it can leave new players disoriented. Having a few rules for building a team would make this process a lot easier. One of the best ways to start building a team is to build a team around a core.

What is a Core?
"A core involves the natural synergy between certain types, either in offense and in defense. Cores mostly involve three types, mainly because this strikes a perfect balance between having enough resistances to cover each type's weakness and not having too many weaknesses to end up becoming too vulnerable to a certain type. "

While typing is a strong consideration, sometimes cores can share weaknesses and still function for example you have Ting-Lu plus Rotom-Wash both sharing a weakness to grass, however their bulk, capacity to force switches and capitalize on those switches thanks to stealth rocks and volt switch/trick/status allows for them to be a very capable balanced core functioning both defensively and offensively together.

The Cores
An offensive core is a group of Pokémon that are both focused towards and designed to enable the team to break through most other team styles while being balanced for general play. A defensive core is a group of Pokémon chosen to give a team a solid set of resistances and the ability to switch into many of the common and threatening attacks in the metagame, allowing it to stick around long enough to win the match.

The 3v3 format means that the mechanics will differ from those in 6v6 leading to different cores being used. This thread is meant to try to list the most common and succesful cores in the Scarlet and Violet BSS metagame. This list wont be as extensive atm since we want to create discussion so feel free to share your cores and remember the sets we're going to share right now are just the sample sets that this cores use so have an open mind about it since theres a ton of set diversity within this format (which is awesome!).

Posting Guidelines

Any person can post a core in this thread. The cores are broken down into three categories: offensive, balanced and defensive cores. When posting, please make sure to state which one of these categories your core falls under.

Although the way your core works may be obvious to you, this may not be the case for others. As such, when posting a core, please make sure to explain how the core operates and any other details you think are important to include. The explanations don't have to be essays; as long as your post has some substance and conveys the main idea behind the core, it's all good.

This goes without saying, but do make sure your post includes the sets your core is using. In addition, please try to include an explanation of any EV spreads deviating from the standard 252 / 252. Replays are also very helpful and highly encouraged when posting cores.

Please be respectful of the cores people post in this thread. If someone posts a core that you think is ineffective or just plain bad, there is no need to jump at their throats. With that said, constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged - simply be nice!

Offensive Cores

Balanced Cores

Defensive Cores

Last edited:
Clodsire can definitely be part of a defensive core. Um, I'm sure I've seen this many times but I don't have one really just that it's a strong mon w/ good defensive utility, so it goes w/ some mons for a core. I just don't think it should be left out.

Clodsire can definitely be part of a defensive core. Um, I'm sure I've seen this many times but I don't have one really just that it's a strong mon w/ good defensive utility, so it goes w/ some mons for a core. I just don't think it should be left out.
You right and yes I thought about it since in Series 1 and even during Series 2 was commonly paired with Garganacl forming the strongest defensive core imo and you could add Corviknight in there as well. In Regulation C people stopped using them together for the most part, pairing Clodsire with mons like Rotom-Wash. Its probably worth it to showcase them still. We're missing a lot of cores at the moment so feel free to share and nominate some!

You right and yes I thought about it since in Series 1 and even during Series 2 was commonly paired with Garganacl forming the strongest defensive core imo and you could add Corviknight in there as well. In Regulation C people stopped using them together for the most part, pairing Clodsire with mons like Rotom-Wash. Its probably worth it to showcase them still. We're missing a lot of cores at the moment so feel free to share and nominate some!
Yes I would! Except I run mons that are offbeat(Alomomola, and now Lurantis LOL,) or ones that are common but odd sets(Helmet Bax.) So I can't contribute much, unless I see some core. I play a lot I think so I'll look for something very effective. I did see one that goes ok, but it's on here, even w/ a 3rd that may have not been on their team.

This is a great thread! Thanks for the effort putting it together.

I would like to nominate an offensive core of Chien-Pao and Iron Moth. This is quite a common core and team archetype you see on the ladder.

The idea of this core is to use Chien-Pao as a breaker (banded or sashed) and then have Moth clean up in the end game. Pao has no real safe switches, it will chunk even resisted hits (tera and its ability let it hit really hard). Pao also has great speed and priority moves to deal damage (can get quick knock outs or heavily chip even the most defensive mons). Pao can also double down as a backup end game cleaner with its priority moves if you can manage to save it.

Moth also can revenge kill common Pao counters, namely fairies or a defensive fairy tera that Pao might force out of your opponent. There isn't too many mons faster than +1 Moth. So it can become a really effective cleaner in an end game, especially when the opponent's team is worn down.

This core can be easily paired with other common defensive and balance cores on the list. This core does like to have pivots or cushion switch ins that can help you get Pao in a position to spam hits for free (pairs well with slow voltturn users). It does have issues with some of the faster stuff paradox mons like Bundle (can out speed both with booster energy and play sub/encore mind games with sucker punch). I think those mons can be easily mitigated with the rest of your team.

I hope this information is enough for a nomination. I don't have any replays saved with this core. I did search rotoportal and there are quite a few top 100 finishes with this core in season 5. I think this core is really good and a great starting point for someone looking to build a new team.

Chien-Pao @ Choice Band / Focus Sash
Level: 50
Ability: Sword of Ruin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 SpA
Tera Type: Dark / Fairy / Ghost / Electric
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch / Ice Shard
- Sacred Sword / Ice Shard / Tera Blast

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 124 Def / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Tera Type: Grass / Water /Fairy
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Acid Spray / Sludge Wave
- Energy Ball
- Acid Spray / Psychic / Dazzling Gleam / Tera Blast

This is a great thread! Thanks for the effort putting it together.

I would like to nominate an offensive core of Chien-Pao and Iron Moth. This is quite a common core and team archetype you see on the ladder.

The idea of this core is to use Chien-Pao as a breaker (banded or sashed) and then have Moth clean up in the end game. Pao has no real safe switches, it will chunk even resisted hits (tera and its ability let it hit really hard). Pao also has great speed and priority moves to deal damage (can get quick knock outs or heavily chip even the most defensive mons). Pao can also double down as a backup end game cleaner with its priority moves if you can manage to save it.

Moth also can revenge kill common Pao counters, namely fairies or a defensive fairy tera that Pao might force out of your opponent. There isn't too many mons faster than +1 Moth. So it can become a really effective cleaner in an end game, especially when the opponent's team is worn down.

This core can be easily paired with other common defensive and balance cores on the list. This core does like to have pivots or cushion switch ins that can help you get Pao in a position to spam hits for free (pairs well with slow voltturn users). It does have issues with some of the faster stuff paradox mons like Bundle (can out speed both with booster energy and play sub/encore mind games with sucker punch). I think those mons can be easily mitigated with the rest of your team.

I hope this information is enough for a nomination. I don't have any replays saved with this core. I did search rotoportal and there are quite a few top 100 finishes with this core in season 5. I think this core is really good and a great starting point for someone looking to build a new team.

Chien-Pao @ Choice Band / Focus Sash
Ability: Sword of Ruin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 SpA
Tera Type: Dark / Fairy / Ghost / Electric
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch / Ice Shard
- Sacred Sword / Ice Shard / Tera Blast

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 124 Def / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Tera Type: Grass / Water /Fairy
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Acid Spray / Sludge Wave
- Energy Ball
- Acid Spray / Psychic / Dazzling Gleam / Tera Blast
Lead Pao into AV Mon into Late game Sweeper is just a simple and versatile core that you can fit on Teams

Blissey is quite a bit higher in VR than Chansey, I agree with this ranking, yet Blissey gets no representation here and the other does.

So I'm proposing something like Blissey OVER Chansey as a slash in the defensive core w/ Dozo and Pex, or else perhaps Blissey+Gholdengo(sounds like balance, but I'm less good w/ those terms,) according to usage. Since Blissey is mostly seem w/ common mons(shocker,) also the same two as Chansey in that core, and randomly the fighting-weak Avalugg(ok they wall opposite sides, but that's true of better type synergy stuff.)

DerpySuX

TABLES FLIPPED NOW WE GOT ALL THE COCONUTS BITCH
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Blissey is better as a stand-alone poke because of it not being reliant on any one item, hence the higher rating on the VR, however Chansey’s higher overall bulk with eviolite makes it better as part of a defensive core, which is why it sees more representation here.

DerpySuX

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
some fun cocaine bear cores that I’ve had success with in testing
:Sneasler: + :Ursaluna:
:Amoonguss: + :Ursaluna:
:Urshifu-rapid-strike: + :Ursaluna:
These cores facilitate Ursaluna by baiting in pokes that it does well against, things like Gholdengo and Dondozo are ideal for Ursaluna to get in on and activate its flame orb. Dondozo does necessitate use of tera to not take heavy damage from water STAB, but having something that’s able to so immediately break past one of the best physical sponges around is worth the trade off imo.

:Zapdos: + :Dragapult:/:Sneasler: + :ursaluna:
Very simple, Ursaluna + pivots, Zapdos and the aforementioned physical attackers tend to bait in mons that Ursaluna does well against, which is why I recommended them, but really any pivot that you can maneuver properly will work.

I am eager to hear your thoughts on this core and if you think there's a way to improve it.
some fun cocaine bear cores that I’ve had success with in testing
:Sneasler: + :Ursaluna:
:Amoonguss: + :Ursaluna:
:Urshifu-rapid-strike: + :Ursaluna:
These cores facilitate Ursaluna by baiting in pokes that it does well against, things like Gholdengo and Dondozo are ideal for Ursaluna to get in on and activate its flame orb. Dondozo does necessitate use of tera to not take heavy damage from water STAB, but having something that’s able to so immediately break past one of the best physical sponges around is worth the trade off imo.

:Zapdos: + :Dragapult:/:Sneasler: + :ursaluna:
Very simple, Ursaluna + pivots, Zapdos and the aforementioned physical attackers tend to bait in mons that Ursaluna does well against, which is why I recommended them, but really any pivot that you can maneuver properly will work.
Are you sure about gholdengo? Gholdengo choice specs make it rain always OHKO-ed Ursaulna.

DerpySuX

I am eager to hear your thoughts on this core and if you think there's a way to improve it.

Are you sure about gholdengo? Gholdengo choice specs make it rain always OHKO-ed Ursaulna.
252 HP Ursaluna can live specs make it rain about 80% of the time. I’ve found that most gholdengo do not risk the roll and switch out against it. It is more set specific but I do believe that if played correctly, gholdengo can be used as entry for Ursaluna

I've been thinking about good core for the new regulation and figured this balanced core out so I thought to share. It's basically a minor tweak of my previously posted team where I swapped glimmora for sneasler and garchomp for dragonite.

Sneasler / Tera Ghost
Adamant, Unburden, Normal Gem, 100 HP, 252 Atk, 156 Spe
Shadow Claw, Dire Claw, Close Combat Fake Out

Iron Bundle / Tera Grass
Jolly, Quark Drive, Booster Energy, 4 Def, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spe
Flip Turn, Freeze Dry, Hydro Pump, Encore

Dragone / Tera Flying
Impish, Multiscale, Heavy Duty Boots, 252 HP, 252 Atk, 180 Def, 76 Spe
Dragon Dance, Roost, Earthquake, Tera Blast

Great type synergy of leads with D-nite. Tera grass on bundle for breloom, zapdos, and amonguss. OTher than that, all standard. :D

Twinkling Titanite

Banned deucer.
I went 12-0 on ladder yesterday (my first time laddering BSS regulation D) with specially defensive heatran + dondozo as a defensive core, I also had dragonite which despite being an offensive set was a very major component of the team's defensive profile. I think heatran + dozo + dragonite would be very good in the balance cores, and just heatran + dozo would be great in defensive cores.

https://pokepast.es/920b1d985e52f41e (the team I used, I know it's very basic)
Screenshot 2023-08-01 193316.png

:ting-lu: :toxapex:
https://pokepast.es/740893e2b370646c

Ting-Lu + Toxapex has taken off in the last couple of seasons. The paste above is from the #4 ranked team, though several other variations on it are out there and are tuned to what specific problem spots you want handled by these two. The basic strategy is simple enough: Ting-Lu and Toxapex play off of each other's bulk to wear down teams. Use Ruination and Toxic to chew up the opponent's team, Whirlwind and/or Haze to prevent setup, then use your third to clean up or counter problem matchups.

With Tera, the Ting-Lu set above can survive up to five turns against Jolly Sash Chien-Pao even before factoring in Protect. Protect not only stalls for Leftovers recovery but also Toxic damage simultaneously. As usual, Flying-types can be problematic to finish off with Ting-Lu, so this makes it reliant on its teammates (such as Toxapex landing Toxic) to take them out. Alternatively, forcing them to Terastallize out of the Flying-type also lets Ting-Lu hit them with Earthquake.

Notable "problem spots" to consider when tuning the main sets and choosing the supporting cast:
  • Tera Flying Gholdengo is essentially public enemy #1, since it blocks both Toxic and Earthquake. You must have a dedicated answer to this or offensive variants can set up on TingPex and run away with the match.
  • Flying-types in general, especially those that lean into Tera Flying usage and thus retain the typing, such as Landorus-T and Dragonite
  • Opposing Ting-Lu with fast Taunt
  • Iron Bundle for its ability to force Tera and to wall/punish status usage
  • Wallbreakers, primarly Ursaluna
  • Strong sustain aka "receiving loop" Pokemon such as Garganacl and Clodsire
  • Sleep status/loops from the likes of Dondozo and Amoonguss
Notable teammates who help shore up these matchups:
  • :chien-pao: / :iron-bundle: : Fast Ice-type sweepers that punish Flying-types, either by doing big damage or by forcing Tera and making them hittable by Ting-Lu's Earthquake. On the flip side, targets that use Tera Grass or Tera Flying defensively into Ting-Lu can be punished by Ice-type coverage. These are frequently the go-to answer for Tera Flying Gholdengo, though getting them in safely can be risky so sacrificing Ting-Lu is sometimes a necessity. Bear in mind though that Iron Bundle will need to have Choice Specs to consistently knock out a completely healthy Tera Flying Gholdengo.
  • :gholdengo: : Effectively covers sleep status with its ability. Many variants on top teams went hard on special bulk to let it dodge the 2HKO from Iron Bundle's Hydro Pump. Air Balloon is the standard item at high ranks, giving it a starting advantage against many Dragonite, Ting-Lu and Ursaluna.
  • :chi-yu: : Consistent switch-in against Gholdengo that lacks Thunder Wave, with a higher base speed than both Landorus-T and Dragonite should you choose to invest in it. A difficult offensive breaker to switch into, and its choice sets are well supported by TingPex bulk, though Assault Vest is also strong to give it more switch-in opportunities. The common Tera Grass helps against Urshifu-R, but Tera Ghost also saw representation for the predictable purpose of stopping Extreme Speed from Dragonite.
Most of this info was from searching top reports. If you want to view the curated results yourself, click here. Have fun trying it out for yourself!

Edit 8 / 16 / 2023: Revised some details now that I've gotten some personal experience with the team. Hopefully it'll help anyone still trying to use the core themselves!

Last edited:
:dragonite: + :scizor:
https://pokepast.es/8b80ae53a2dfc217

I think this core has been around for a bit, but it certainly hasn't lost relevance in Reg D, so let's talk about it! This is a face-to-face core that expertly combines offense and defense into a powerful package. It has a relevant type synergy into the current meta and, like a lot of good cores, the ability to warp the opponent's Tera usage to its own advantage.

Choice Band Tera Flying Dragonite is the de facto standard for this core, as the combination of Multiscale and Tera Flying Tera Blast is what allows Dragonite to consistently beat Urshifu-R. Scizor's bulk compliments Dragonite as a Chien-Pao and Landorus-T switch-in, but perhaps its most important matchup concerns Flutter Mane. This is where the Tera manipulation comes into play: if Flutter Mane doesn't Tera, it dies to Bullet Punch; on the other hand, if it does Tera out of its Ghost-type, then it becomes vulnerable to Dragonite's Extreme Speed. This clever tactical conundrum for the opponent is a major selling point, though it does require some game sense. Scizor has to be managed carefully since its longevity is limited, so knowing when the opponent is likely to stay in versus switch is an important consideration when deciding what move will give Scizor's team the most momentum.

While Dragonite sets remain fairly consistent across high-level teams, Scizor's look can change a bit. Tera Steel is good for resisting Tera Flying assaults on the opposing side, but Tera Dark has also gained relevance as a single turn option to cushion Ghost-type attacks from Gholdengo and Flutter Mane. Assault Vest is another option, as well as Tera Water for defensive purposes and/or Tera Blast. As for the EV spread listed in the paste above, it avoids the OHKO from Adamant Tera Ghost Life Orb Mimikyu's +2 Shadow Claw; with Sitrus Berry, it also avoids the 2HKO from Modest Gholdengo's Shadow Ball. Both calcs are before Tera.

Now let's talk about considerations for supporting this core and what to watch out for:
  • Stealth Rocks are a big problem for Dragonite, and Heavy-Duty Boots aren't worth the power loss from dropping Choice Band.
  • Neither core member is particularly fast outside of its priority moves, making them easier to deal with in poor offensive matchups.
  • Both core members are hindered dramatically by status conditions.
  • Physically imposing walls such as Ting-Lu and Dondozo are strong enough to avoid 2HKOs from Dragonite, and their support tools (Stealth Rock / Yawn / etc.) tend to become long-term problems.
  • While not strictly necessary, a secondary pivot can be good to use for bad Scizor matchups or even as an offensive compliment next to Scizor. Either way, it further helps the core break through strong cycle teams.
Some good supporting members who help with the above:
  • :landorus-therian: / :zapdos: : Both of these are great Choice Scarf users who can help patch up the main core's Speed issues, and their access to pivot moves make them great compliments to the team's momentum.
  • :urshifu-rapid-strike: (Rapid Strike): Puts big pressure on many Stealth Rock setters, and is a fantastic offensive piece overall that greatly appreciates this core's pivot support. Bear in mind that particularly bulky setters like Ting-Lu generally aren't OHKO'd, so a different answer is required if you are trying to prevent Stealth Rocks altogether.
  • :ursaluna: / :iron-bundle: : Both are effective at breaking through Dondozo. Ursaluna also does great into Ting-Lu, while Iron Bundle's Encore can punish Ting-Lu should it try to put down Stealth Rocks. Finally, Ursaluna's Flame Orb burn and Iron Bundle's Substitutes help deal with status; while uncommon, you can even run Lum Berry on Iron Bundle to allow for a one-time switch into status.
  • :flutter-mane: : I think its worth noting that with this core, its not necessarily a bad idea to have a secondary ace as well. Flutter Mane can be a good special attacking ace for when Dragonite isn't a good bring.
As before, you can click here if you want to see the season 8 reports that use this core. To be clear, it is purposefully filtered to only show cores that use Dragonites with Tera Flying and Choice Band. Happy teambuilding!

Last edited:
Mini Regulation D update is up everybody! Still working on the write ups of these cores since just by looking at the sets some people may not catch on the concept as easily, so please be patient with me! Before Season 9 ends this thread will be fully updated, we're not done yet. If you have any questions regarding any core please dont hesitate to ask questions here or over Discord, myself or many other people will be happy to help! Lets keep working all together to make this game more and more interesting! :blobnom:

In advance of Regulation E, I've managed to put together an core that I think should work well against what I anticipate to be the new meta. Not sure if it'd be considered offensive or balanced, but here's what I have:

Ninetales-Alolan / Tera Ice

Item: Light Clay / Focus Sash

Ability: Snow Warning

252 Sp.A/252 Spe/4 HP

Timid nature
  • Aurora Veil
  • Moonblast
  • Freeze-Dry
  • Encore

Terastalization isn't particularly important here, because the main focus is to set up Aurora Veil and then preferably get off at least one attack, but Tera Ice can help Freeze-Dry hit harder in a pinch. You probably won't be doing this much. Encore rounds out the set as a way to punish setup sweepers and more passive Pokemon.

Tauros-Paldea-Aqua / Tera Water

Item: Mystic Water / Life Orb

Ability: Intimidate

252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP

Jolly Nature
  • Raging Bull
  • Close Combat
  • Stone Edge
  • Bulk Up

While I expect it to be largely overshadowed by Rapid-Strike Urshifu, Aqua Breed Tauros actually functions as a pretty significant check to both Urshifu forms due to Intimidate, resisting both Water and Dark, and being able to outspeed any non-Scarfed Urshifu.

Raging Bull is used over Wave Crash for the sake of longevity, but more importantly because it also breaks opposing screens, which I expect to be very common once Alolan-Ninetales becomes legal in BSS. Close Combat is the most reliable fighting STAB despite the defense drops, and Stone Edge rounds out the set against flying types that would otherwise give Tauros trouble. (Though this could also be swapped out for Earthquake, if need be.) Finally, Bulk Up works extremely well with both Intimidate and Aurora Veil up.

Last edited:
Aqua Breed Tauros actually functions as a pretty significant check to both Urshifu forms due to Intimidate, resisting both Water and Dark, and being able to outspeed any non-Scarfed Urshifu.
I just realized that Intimidate doesn't actually lower the power of Wicked Blow or Surging Strikes, whoops :psytear:

Here's another bulky offense core that I've had some success with in BSS:

Gliscor / Tera Water

Item: Toxic Orb

Ability: Poison Heal

252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk

Impish Nature
  • Earthquake
  • Dual Wingbeat
  • Crabhammer
  • Swords Dance
Trading the usual utility-focused moveset for a more well-rounded offense, Gliscor is still very hard to take down with physical attackers and can very easily find setup opportunities with swords dance, after which it can hit very hard and 2HKO a good portion of the metagame. Tera Water is the standard defensive Tera type here but it also powers up Crabhammer considerably, giving Gliscor effectively perfect neutral coverage.

Goodra-Hisui / Tera Bug

Item: Assault Vest

Ability: Shell Armor

252 HP / 252 Sp. A / 4 Sp. D

Quiet Nature
  • Heavy Slam
  • Draco Meteor
  • Flamethrower
  • Earthquake
The premier special wall, this set is easily the most reliable check I've found to Gholdengo, Flutter Mane, and Iron Bundle. Heavy Slam reliably beats Flutter Mane while Draco Meteor punishes switch-ins heavily while also taking out Iron Bundle. Flamethrower handily checks Gholdengo (particularly Air Baloon variants) and Scizor, while Earthquake rounds out the set against other steel-types.

Tera Bug is used over flying because it flips Goodra's weaknesses to Fighting and Ground, but it also crucially does not give it a weakness against ice the way that Tera Flying would.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)