Stealth Rock Less Ladder

yeah i totally forgot to mention Kyurem-B in my earlier post. I am pretty sure SR would cause him to be Uber. I am perfectly fine with that because of his insane base stats and the fact that he is being discussed as a suspect even with stealth rock. This likely wont happen until gen 6 which will be a totally new meta especially with the new fairy type. That being said, Kyurem B has such insane base stats and with the possibility of getting new moves, he could still be a suspect. In my opinion the bottom line is that SR detracts from the variety of the game because of the pokemon it makes nearly unusable. Even if there are a few possible casualties like Kyurem B or dragonite, to me, the pokemon that will become usable far outweigh their loss. I think it is worth seriously considering

Zapdos must contend with Thundy-T and Rotom-W while its average bulk and the Landorus ban make it somewhat worse
"Average Bulk" doesn't make it any worse than Thundurus-T, who carries significantly lower defenses and no reliable recovery. Additionally, it carries similar bulk to Rotom-W (factoring in higher HP) and reliable recovery, making it arguably play bulkier. Zapdos's defining feature that sets it apart from these two is roar + the ability to check Rain Teams. It's only real counterpart in this regard is Rain Tank Dragonite, but that needs rain to *function*, and can't simply be used as a rain check. Zapdos is a bit niche, sure, but it can make a great supporter and rain check (especially with that hurricane resist) and it has the ability to phaze opposing teams through spikes if your team has them.

Now, if it got STAB Hurricane as well... :D

MuttJustMutt

Banned deucer.
The lack of SR is a huge blow to both hyper offense and stall, both of which rely on the extra damage boost especially. I can't see balanced teams missing it as much though; if anything, it just gives their walls some leeway to carry an extra move of their choice.
Spinners will be gone, and I suspect Jellicent usage will accordingly go through the shitter.

The lack of SR is a huge blow to both hyper offense and stall, both of which rely on the extra damage boost especially. I can't see balanced teams missing it as much though; if anything, it just gives their walls some leeway to carry an extra move of their choice.
Spinners will be gone, and I suspect Jellicent usage will accordingly go through the shitter.
Play a few games on the ladder and you will change your mind.
Spinners are still very useful due to the now relatively common (t-)spikes, Jelly is still the go-to spinblocker on more defensive/balanced teams and a great pokemon all-around. Stall got even better, because it's much harder now to break through it without the residual damage.

if zapdos got thunder and hurricane I think we would have seen him in OU ages ago...

I feel that spikes by themselves aren't that threatening with all the flyers / levitators, and Tspikes can be absorbed by poison types (tenta, toxicroak, and venusaur are all good choices)

MuttJustMutt

Banned deucer.
Play a few games on the ladder and you will change your mind.
Spinners are still very useful due to the now relatively common (t-)spikes, Jelly is still the go-to spinblocker on more defensive/balanced teams and a great pokemon all-around. Stall got even better, because it's much harder now to break through it without the residual damage.
Sorry, I haven't played the ladder at all, and my brain somehow assumed that "No Stealth Rock" meant "No Entry Hazards". Being there ARE spikes and toxic spikes, everything you said makes sense, although I would still argue that stall (or at least the stall teams I use) would miss SR. Being able to still use spikes probably compensates though.

Sorry, I haven't played the ladder at all, and my brain somehow assumed that "No Stealth Rock" meant "No Entry Hazards". Being there ARE spikes and toxic spikes, everything you said makes sense, although I would still argue that stall (or at least the stall teams I use) would miss SR. Being able to still use spikes probably compensates though.
Rocks also hurt stall specially sun and hail stall

Honestly this metagame is pretty bad.
Sun spam, volc spam, focus sash spam, kyu-b spam, etc.

Stealth rocks solve more problems than they cause, it's better to have a bunch of pokes be unviable/niche with support than have a bunch of pokes be overpowered. You could probably create a balanced meta without rocks, but it's not really any more valid than the one with rocks, especially with focus sash on flying/levitating pokes being extremely silly to deal with.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Now that I'm done with it, here's the team I used to take the #1, 2, and 3 spots for anyone who wants to try it.

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Encore
- Ice Beam

Moltres @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Substitute
- Roost

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Protect
- Rapid Spin

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Aromatherapy

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic
I can confirm this team is very, very good. Ladder rankings aside, it's pretty freaking impossible to beat if you don't have an insanely good team matchup. Everything is so cohesive.

Obviously a few things are going to be powerful without SR, so we simply ban those things if they become overpowering. And it's not like some pokemon in Ubers can't be looked at to come down. I can see Deoxy-D coming down because of the SR ban. Even Excadrill and Thundurus-T can be looked at, as they aren't getting the KOs and 2HKO's they normally would get without dedicating yourself to Spikes, and Spikes can't stop flyers and levitators from coming in.

Last edited:
Honestly this metagame is pretty bad.
Sun spam, volc spam, focus sash spam, kyu-b spam, etc.

Stealth rocks solve more problems than they cause, it's better to have a bunch of pokes be unviable/niche with support than have a bunch of pokes be overpowered. You could probably create a balanced meta without rocks, but it's not really any more valid than the one with rocks, especially with focus sash on flying/levitating pokes being extremely silly to deal with.
If this does ever happen, focus sash might just need to be banned as well, it wouldn't be the first item.

If this does ever happen, focus sash might just need to be banned as well, it wouldn't be the first item.
Would be the first item completely independant on luck, well besides soul dew.. Which is way different due to being linked to only 2 pokemon

honestly moltres just completely outshines articuno imho

not only is it considerably more powerful, but its typing is really excellent when it doesn't have to worry about stealth rock. its pretty much the most vicious special attacker (nothing apart from tyranitar really wants to switch into it, and even that can be dealt with by hp fighting, or get u-turned on) as moltress typing is also GREAT defensively. its an offensive pokemon that straight up counters other juggernauts such as scizor, volcarona, heatran and breloom. i know that heatran resists its stab, but it has no recovery unlike moltres, and is just pounded down by a few hurricanes. this is the big deal for me: a pokemon that can dish hits out like nothing else and att he same time counter some big threats

articuno is neutral to fighting, weak to fire, weak to steel and walled by steel and only really useful in hail... id honestly pick moltres every time

Focus sash isn't really that much of a problem like some people make it seem to be. Spikes and weather are still existend in this meta (hail even got a huge boost) and flying/levitating pokes have much better options than a sash, in fact the only relatively viable one i can see is Gengar with some weird Counter/D-Bond-sets, but that's pretty much it.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm really not getting the focus sash complaints. It's viable now, but the user still takes on a large risk by using it. Most things that you might consider running a sash on are either not immune to spikes or take hail/sandstorm damage. The level of counterplay that exists for focus sash is way too great for it to warrant a ban. I feel like a lot of the complaints I've seen stem from people running super offensive teams that don't use hazards or sand/hail. This is not a metagame where you're going to be able to spam brainless offensive teams without preparing for the increased viability of stall/focus sash and stomp the ladder. If you opt to run teams like that, you are going to regularly struggle with random focus sash users as well as most defensive teams that have any sort of offensive glue. It seems like people are forgetting that defensive teams exist and are actually very viable in this meta. In my opinion, the only new things that have become banworthy without SR are Dragonite and Moltres. I'm somewhat on the fence about Dragonite, tbh, but Moltres is definitely too powerful.

Last edited:
Lol I remember saying how uncontrollable Moltres would be w/o SR bc I had experience playing with it in OU. Mostly people laughed at the idea.
Jokes on them :p

Moltres too powerful? I used him as a choice specs sweeper and I found him to be strictly inferior to specs Tornadus. I guess he could pull off a life orb + agility set (something Tornadus can't do), but I don't think you can ohko Tyranitar and Heatran, who both drop to a focus blast or superpower from Tornadus. I guess it's the tradeoff you make for being able to take out Jirachi.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
honestly moltres just completely outshines articuno imho

not only is it considerably more powerful, but its typing is really excellent when it doesn't have to worry about stealth rock. its pretty much the most vicious special attacker (nothing apart from tyranitar really wants to switch into it, and even that can be dealt with by hp fighting, or get u-turned on) as moltress typing is also GREAT defensively. its an offensive pokemon that straight up counters other juggernauts such as scizor, volcarona, heatran and breloom. i know that heatran resists its stab, but it has no recovery unlike moltres, and is just pounded down by a few hurricanes. this is the big deal for me: a pokemon that can dish hits out like nothing else and att he same time counter some big threats

articuno is neutral to fighting, weak to fire, weak to steel and walled by steel and only really useful in hail... id honestly pick moltres every time
Why do people like to compare things that make near 0 sense to compare, articuno and moltres work completely differently, that's like saying latias is outclassed because kyuB exists, seriously.

EDIT: apparently people don't actually know that subroost moltres is meant ot be used offensivly as opposed to defensivly,

Last edited:
so give me a situation where articuno can perform more efficiently than moltres :)

moltres does everything articuno is going to do apart from bulky roles centered around heal bell or roar shuffling (not good at all and in that case outshone by dragonite)

yes articuno can perform better than moltres on hail teams, but it's just stacking weaknesses, and even then i'd far prefer kyurems extra speed, resistances and power. i've always been of the opinion that hail teams are better described as "teams with abomasnow on them to strip opposing weather and to use abomas good water/dragon killing skills". if anything i'd probably even want to use moltres on a hail team due to the offensive threats it can counter

edit @ above: i am a community, tiering, and c&c contributor. i am well aware of how subroost moltres is played, and it does a far better job of it than articuno

Last edited:

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm honestly not sure Articuno is even that great in hail. I'm not much of a hail user myself, but I can't see myself picking Articuno over Kyurem if I'm looking for a pressure staller. It's immunity to ground is mostly mitigated by the fact that most earthquake users carry stone edge as well. Not having the nice water and electric resists that Kyurem has hurts it quite a bit too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)