Starcraft 2

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Got the Collector's edition. Wow, I didn't realize how many neat goodies were in it. Yay.

Edit: Anyone wanna try the game, I've got some guest passes. Let me know if you're interested.

Can one of you guys give me an opinion on whether or not my computer will be able to play the game. I think it should, but I'm not sure if I'm reading my GPU's specs right. It says the following:

Memory Size-1918 MB
Memory Type-HyperMemory

Core Clock-500 MHz
Memory Clock-400 MHz

I know it SAYS that's what my memory is, but the GPU is a laptop version of a Radeon 3000 series card. 3200 to be exact, so idk if there's something it's not telling me.

That and my processor's speed is under the recommended specs. It's an AMD Turion X2 Dual Core-2.1 ghz. I do have 4 GB of RAM though.

So should I even bother buying the game guys?
Try this: http://systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Find SC2 on the dropdown and click it. It only works in Firefox, though (I think).

Try this: http://systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Find SC2 on the dropdown and click it. It only works in Firefox, though (I think).
Nah it worked fine in Internet Explorer..

So I ran that test thing, on this laptop, and it put me at around halfway to fail, halfway to pass, which does qualify for a pass, but being a laptop, apparently my graphics card isn't the coolest thing, which I do pass but don't have the recommended for. It's recommending ATI Radeon® HD 3870 while it says I have ATI display adapter (0x9488).

I'd like to get the game, but only if I can play it on this laptop, I'll just connect a keyboard/mouse to it via USB anyway.. 16" screen..

Do you guys think I'd be able to get it and be able to play the game well?

I've been playing it on my laptop, which has a Radeon HD 4670, and it's been fine. I don't meet recommended specs either.

I think they blew the video card requirements out of the water. I have a damn motherboard Intel chipset from like five years ago and it displays SCII excellently. :P

Frozen Throne came out 7 years ago, silly Fishin.
I guess a better comparison game would be Heroes of Newerth. Also came out in 2010, very similar games from a processing/graphics standpoint, my computer runs HoN fine on normal settings but has tons of trouble with SC2 at absolute minimum.

So I ran that test thing, on this laptop, and it put me at around halfway to fail, halfway to pass, which does qualify for a pass, but being a laptop, apparently my graphics card isn't the coolest thing, which I do pass but don't have the recommended for. It's recommending ATI Radeon® HD 3870 while it says I have ATI display adapter (0x9488).
apparently graphics card is the main limiting factor in SCII rather than processing power. If you know your laptop's model number you should be able to search for its webpage and find specs on it, including graphics card, or if you still have the box/manual it should say on there. There are also websites like this that can give you an idea of how well a graphics card can run a game:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5650.23697.0.html

Don't expect to find much data there on SCII since it's so new (and each test comes from a different computer so your fps may vary due to other specs), but it's still a useful resource for graphics cards overall.

edit: it also has a page which gives estimates as to whether a card will run a game or not by comparing them all together, right here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

those of you who say you can run SC2 despite not having that good system specs, can you run it using Medium graphics settings? (because Low graphics are really burning my eyes and I couldn't run the beta on Medium, but I want to make sure my next comp can run it without investing too much money into a video card)

and I wonder how much they would increase the system recs for the upcoming expansions, don't want to upgrade my comp (and then possibly even have compatibility issues between the new and old hardware) or buy a new comp every 1.5 years ;/

also holy shit they just announced a tournament with $85,700 USD prize money for 1st place
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=141496
guess this might make the Korean proscene to switch from BW to SC2

Hey all, if anyone wants to play sometime add me, I mostly 1v1 but I'd love to do team games if I can find partners, my BNet name is TrueLau.

Uhh polis 4 rule, Hellions seige tanks and thors destroy that. Brood lords with support destroy mech really, but if they get vikings.... Really the best way is to just put broods over a hydra mob and enjoy. Yeah I need a new graphics card...

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sooo...

It's really fun when Starcraft 2 doesn't recognize that I have internet. I turned off my firewall and that didn't work, nor was it necessary because it turns out all the ports blizzard uses were already exceptions. Some people have problems with the blizzard downloader. I have yet to even see it. I run SC2, it goes black then goes back to desktop and says "You need a patch, want to download it?". I hit ok, then the game just runs again and this loops forever until I hit cancel. In their infinite wisdom, I can't just download the patch online, but even if I could I guess there'd inevitably be a problem with multiplayer.

I use a router, but honestly, it's as if it's not even trying to access the internet. It's skipping a step.

You could try reinstalling, really I don't have a clue. Is there a group for starcraft2 on smogon yet?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Fixed it, after days of searching found someone with the exact same problem. I had to change my lan settings to "automatically detect".

I'm running SC2 on my low settings just fine on my macbook pro. I honestly don't mind the low graphics settings, since I'm used to warcraft 3 anyways >.>

I'm about ten hours into the campaign (haven't touched multi yet) and my god, the
Last prophecy mission was fun as helllll

yeah the game is fun.

Name:Gryphon
Code:276

If anyone is interested in adding me, please send me a PM letting me know who you are.

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just finished the campaign myself, and it basically left me wanting for more :P
cant wait fr the zerg and protoss expansions to see how it all adds up

been playing 2 practice matches online though as protoss (who I mained during the beta phase as well) and yeah, nothing much changed there, just got paired with 2 relatively new players and those were easy victories

I bought a new laptop (my old one needed replacing anyway) in order to play this game. Half way through the campaign, stuff keep coming up taking away good starcraft quality time.

This game is just way too much fun!!! :-D

Svelte.708

Platinum level, not too close to diamond yet. Still manage to supply cap myself at the WORST times.

TrueLau/830

Just got bumped down from Gold :/ at least I'm at the top of my division now, hopefully going back up soon

EDIT-back into Gold League!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)