SPL X DOU Discussion

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
[TGRS] MajorBowman vs Human [WOLF] - not too much to say here, bowman's been doing pretty well, should've won last week, while human's struggling a little bit this season. expect bowman to have a better team and better play barring any surprises

[CONG] EmbCPT vs emforbes [TYRN] - highlight match for me. this is a really tough one to call. both players were performing below expectations most of the season, but have been doing better in recent weeks. emilio's playing has been great this season, i think his teams were holding him back slightly, while edu's mishaps were somewhat a combination of the two in my opinion. emilio's game vs milk really impressed me though, and i think he's back in shape and should take this. cant wait to catch this one

[RAID] Biosci vs fespy [SHRK] - again not too much to say. biosci's been having a rough SPL but he's still one of the best and his teams are decent. after showing some promise in weeks 3-4, fespy hasnt done much since. biosci should take this home easily

[BIGS] Ezrael vs SMB [CRYO] - SMB is one of the best players in the pool right now. ezrael has been doing better than i expected but SMB has been using some absolutely absurd teams and still winning. if ezrael can get a neutral matchup and minimize the damage SMB's stupid techs do, he has a solid shot at outplaying. still expect SMB to pull thru with his teams

Last edited:

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Highlights of Week 8:
  • Magnet Pull returns, though this time not in Nosepass / Probopass form
  • Incineroar joins the ranks of "Pokemon that have run Toxic in SPL that I don't think you should run Toxic on but if you really want to I guess it's not the worst possible choice", alongside Pokemon like Gastrodon and Zapdos
  • Human continues his trend of freezing things...
  • Giving up on trying to standardise the tense of my highlights and just using whatever tense seems natural instead of forcing present continuous tense
Mildly interesting stats:
  • Biosci landed 4 damaging moves in the first 9 turns of his battle vs Ezrael; two of them were U-turn. If I'm recalling correctly, this has been the least offensive start to a DOU match all season.
  • Week 8 has been the most Toxic week of SPL so far, continuing an upwards trend—5 of the 10 teams this week ran Toxic, up from 4 last week.
    • Teams with Toxic users from Week 1 to Week 8: 2, 2, 3, 1, 2, 2, 4, 5.
  • Dugtrio is now the second-lowest-BST Pokemon (excluding base forms of Megas) to have an SPL win in DOU this season, slotting in neatly between Azumarill (MajorBowman W5, Biosci W6) and Persian-A (miltankmilk W5).
  • SMB's win is the third time this season someone has brought and won with more than 1 UR Pokemon on their team. The previous instances were EmbCPT's W1 team (Mawile, Hydreigon) and Croven's W1 team (Victreebel, Terrakion).
Week 9 Predictions:
  • qsns wins
  • People forget they're supposed to be playing Pokemon for fun and start slinging shit at each other over perceived insults and injustices
  • MajorBowman wins
P.S. Croven please come back and give my postscripts life once more

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Well, can't say I'm not disappointed with this season. Made a lot more quick team decisions without thinking during the season and kind of faltered a lot in that regard. A lot of games were really good still imo, but obviously just didn't end how I wanted them to. Starting off week 1 with a timer loss when I've never been close to timer when playing was really disheartening to myself especially after both edu and I confirmed the play I did won the game.

Raiders losing a bunch of close weeks aside, I'm really just happy to have played some cool games with fun teams constructed by Kaori and Mizuhime It was a pleasure working with you guys

ggs everyone! I doubt y'all have seen the last of me yet, this old man still has somethings left to do

[TYRN] emforbes vs Human [WOLF]

I’ve said critical things about both players this season, but I think these two have probably improved the most during the life of the tourament which makes this a really interestint matchup. I could see this match going 30+ turns pretty easily given how they both like to play, we probably see at least a gothitelle or a chansey if not both. I expect this to be a really close game, if not overly entertaining. My gut tells me emforbes based on recent results and his ability to play really well at a faster tempo.

Prop Bet: setting the over under for total U-turns at 11.5. Angry react for under love react for over

Level 51

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Highlights of Week 9:
  • Not really a "highlight" per se, but Biosci finishes negative—in fact, he was negative at any given point of time in the season—indicating that he has been loosed from the blood contract he previously signed with abyssal beings, meaning there's still hope for his eternal soul
  • Almost adding "each week, 5 players won and 5 players lost" to interesting stats before realising that's just how tournaments work
  • Human's Rain/Perish team spreading, like an infection, to the BIGs' teambuilder
  • Is miltankmilk the only person who gets noticeably haxed in SPL games, or do we just not notice the rest? Discuss.
  • In terms of price paid for DOU assets to win count ratio, the Wolfpack was best off, getting 1.33 wins for every 1000 credits (WpK) spent on their lone DOU pick of Human (3000; 4-5).
    • Second and third were the Ruiners' Croven/qsns (6000; 7-2; 1.17 WpK) and the Cryonicles' SMB (5500; 6-3; 1.09 WpK).
    • All other teams' DOU picks finished the regular season under 1.00 WpK.
  • In the regular season, the only teams not to lose two DOU matches in a row were the Ruiners (Croven/qsns, 7-2) and the Cryonicles (SMB, 6-3).
  • MajorBowman and miltankmilk had almost identical W/L profiles, with their Week 2 and Week 4 results being switched but otherwise going WLWWLLL in the other 7 weeks.
    • The same is true of the BIGs (Ezrael/Lunar) and the Tyrants (emforbes), who swapped their Week 4 and 5 results but otherwise went LWLLWWW.
  • In constrast to the upwards trend of Toxic users in SPL DOU battles I detailed in my last weekly roundup, just one Toxic was fired off this week. I personally blame the observer effect.
  • Biosci joins EmbCPT, Croven and SMB as the fourth person to achieve a win with more than 1 UR Pokemon on their team (Primarina, Meloetta).
  • Week 9 has been the most diverse week in SPL Mega-wise, probably due to the results of some matches not mattering; out of the 10 teams, we saw 9 distinct Megas, the only repeat being Mega Metagross (Biosci, qsns).
Semifinals Predictions:
  • For some inexplicable reason unknown to all but the great mystics of the heavens, only two games of DOU are played for SPL this week
  • Now that Primarina and Incineroar have been used (to somewhat varying degrees), we get to see Decidueye round out the Alolan starter trio!
  • Now that Mega Sceptile and Mega Swampert have been used (to somewhat varying degrees), we get to see Mega Blaziken round out the Hoenn Mega starter trio!
  • In what appears to be a recurring theme this SPL, miltankmilk gets haxed again
  • Everyone is happy and cheerful and manages to keep their playing as a whole in perspective :)
P.S. [RUIN] Croven vs. [SCTR] miltankmilk

Level 51

Real late but here's my post ahead of Finals! Hope you like this post, I really put a lot of effort into it

Highlights of Semis Tiebreaker:
  • [RUIN] Croven vs. [SCTR] miltankmilk
  • [RUIN] Croven vs. [SCTR] miltankmilk
Finals Predictions:
  • [TYRN] emforbes vs. [RUIN] Croven
P.S. [TYRN] emforbes vs. [RUIN] Croven

Q3JvdmVuIGJyaW5ncyBzdW4sIGVtZm9yYmVzIGJyaW5ncyByYWluLCBlbWZvcmJlcyBzb21laG93IHN0aWxsIHdpbnMgYnkgYSB3aWRlIG1hcmdpbiBieSBvdXRwbGF5aW5nLCBlc3BlY2lhbGx5IG9uIGEgcGFydGljdWxhciB0dXJuIHdoZXJlIENyb3ZlbiBzZW5kcyBhIFBva2Vtb24gc3RyYWlnaHQgaW50byBhIExPIEtva28gVGh1bmRlciBhbmQgZ2V0cyBpdCBPSEtPZWQgZm9yIGZyZWUuIEFsc28gZW1mb3JiZXMgYnJpbmdzIHNvbWUgd2VpcmQgbmljaGUgbWVnYSBmb3Igc29tZSByZWFzb24=

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Q3JvdmVuIGJyaW5ncyBzdW4sIGVtZm9yYmVzIGJyaW5ncyByYWluLCBlbWZvcmJlcyBzb21laG93IHN0aWxsIHdpbnMgYnkgYSB3aWRlIG1hcmdpbiBieSBvdXRwbGF5aW5nLCBlc3BlY2lhbGx5IG9uIGEgcGFydGljdWxhciB0dXJuIHdoZXJlIENyb3ZlbiBzZW5kcyBhIFBva2Vtb24gc3RyYWlnaHQgaW50byBhIExPIEtva28gVGh1bmRlciBhbmQgZ2V0cyBpdCBPSEtPZWQgZm9yIGZyZWUuIEFsc28gZW1mb3JiZXMgYnJpbmdzIHNvbWUgd2VpcmQgbmljaGUgbWVnYSBmb3Igc29tZSByZWFzb24=
fuck you i actually put this through base64 expecting something interesting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)