SPL X DOU Discussion

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Y'all I'm not gonna lie that win against fespy was indisputably the best I've ever felt after a game, being able to clinch a win for the week after a pretty rough week irl was so nice. What were your week 5 highlights?

Week 6 matchups:
[CONG] EmbCPT vs SMB [CRYO]
[RUIN] Croven vs Human [WOLF]
[SHRK] fespy vs miltankmilk [SCTR]
[RAID] Biosci vs emforbes [TYRN]
[BIGS] Ezrael vs MajorBowman [TGRS]

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
Week 5 Highlights:
  • It was nice seeing Rain being featured in two matches. I’m actually surprised Human didn’t use his infamous Rain team, but, regardless, Ezrael and Croven did well in their matches.
  • The weather wars between Ezrael/EmbCPT and Croven/SMB were exhilarating. The whole back and forth thing was pretty cool.
  • Mega Gardevoir doing absolutely nothing is absurd and shocking, but I guess she just isn’t the Fairy Princess anymore.
  • Human isn’t a human at all.
  • MiltankMilk showed us that Volcarona should never be underestimated, and why he might actually be a god.
Week 6 Predicts:
  • EmbCPT vs SMB
  • Croven vs Human
  • Fespy vs MiltankMilk
  • Biosci vs Emforbes
  • Ezrael vs MajorBowman

Elise and I have joked a lot about how prediction posts don’t say anything at all. Well I’ll actually make a prediction post that’s honest (not my own game though sorry, that wouldn’t be a good read anyway)

EmbCPT vs SMB -I’ve been pretty impressed with SMB toeing the line between creative and bad and staying on the positive side. I think edu has come out on the wrong side of that too often. I also just think smb’s played a better more aggressive style of game than edu this spl and I think he’ll win.

Croven vs Human - I’m not here to bitch about my game vs human, but one player here has played well 5 times in a row and one has been pretty consistently bailed out by luck or slow kartanas. Pretty easy choice, qsns builds fire teams and croven doesnt fuck up that often.

Biosci vs emforbes - i think emforbes has played better in half his losses than he has in his wins, which is to say he should have a better record. Bio needs to rein in whoever is suggesting scarf zapdos and get closer to teams and sets that are “meta”, he isn’t playing poorly just starting at a disadvantage.

Ezrael vs MajorBowman - Both have winning recrods, but Jon’s reluctance to use a new team that isnt rain may bite him. I think Jake has a good feel for building in this meta, its the pace he likes to play in and maybe he wont keep using bad kart. Who knows, closest match of the week, i think jake wins because he’s better and more likely to win the teambuilder matchup.

Last edited:

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
lets see if we can start a trend of prediction posts that arent too bad

[CONG] EmbCPT vs SMB [CRYO] - Edu's teambuilding has left me a little confused this season. His teams are either extremely formulaic and similar to each other, or he seems to be going extremely out of his comfort zone to make up for that (his past 2 zard teams). Either way, I think that's whats been holding him back; it's easy to get a read on his typical fatstuffs builds, and he doesn't yet seem to be comfortable with branching out. SMB on the other hand has used a lot of different teams and has overall impressed me with his prep. Both of these dudes are great players and pretty even skill-wise, but SMB should win this via teambuilder advantage.

[SHRK] fespy vs miltankmilk [SCTR] - While fespy has bounced back from an 0-2 start, his playing abilities haven't really impressed me yet. He's good, but nothing I've seen has showed me that he is on par with everyone else in the field. Personally I think milk is one of the best in the field (given that he should be 4-1 without hax), and while his teams can be somewhat hit or miss, they're usually diverse and good enough to keep opponent's guessing. This is a more volatile prediction, since if milk's team flops (like in week 2) he could get stomped and if fespy brings a cheese strat (like he did vs Human) that milk is unprepared for, which personally is what I think he should shoot for, he could easily win. Barring those possibilities, I think milk will simply have a better team and play better than fespy.

[RAID] Biosci vs emforbes [TYRN] - This is a weird one. While everyone knows these two are fantastic players, I can't say I've particularly liked either player's teams a ton. Hard for me to say too much, I'm just going with Biosci because he's undeserving of that low record. Everyone knows Bio can play, so if he can get the team situation under control he can easily pull out a win here. Meanwhile, I have yet to be impressed by playing or building from post-gar ban emi, so yeah I'll just go with Bio.

[BIGS] Ezrael vs MajorBowman [TGRS] - Another hard one to call. Predicting what I consider a bit of an upset because normally I'd choose Bowman, but I haven't liked his recent teams while Ezrael's have been decent. Ezrael came back last week with an odd team that worked, while Bowman used a team 6-0'd by Zard Y followed up with Azumarill in 2019. I still consider Bowman as one of the best in the field this year, so this can really go either way if his team doesn't hold him back too much. Close one.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
lets see if we can start a trend of prediction posts that arent too bad
no we can't nice try fucker

(oh hey im late posting this week, but rest assured all of these were thought up well in advance and I only just had the time to post them!)

=====

Highlights of Week 5:
  • Hitmontop shows its true worth (or lack thereof) as a Tier 20 Pokemon
  • SMB fulfills my prediction of the completion of the "trifecta of Decent Pokemon You Only Use For Defiant" by bringing Tornadus
  • Collapsing into a seizure when Croven's Psycho Boost missed on Turn 14, but realising that the power of enough people predicting against him was enough to let him win anyway
  • Persian-A doing what Persian-A does best: a Fake Out here and there, a mostly inconsequential Taunt / Parting Shot, and getting 2HKOd by a kinda-strong neutrally effective move
    (except it didn't actually get KOd this time)
Week 6 Predictions:
  • With Excadrill's appearance last week, we have 3 out of 4 weathers' speed-boosting abilities represented. Could n1n1's Sandslash reveal be a portent of things to come?
  • MajorBowman's slow Kartana gets even slower; a Knock Off reveals that it's an Iron Ball set
  • Once again, the only matchup that really matters—the battle of Left Hand Side-listed players vs Right Hand Side-listed players—ends in either a 1-4 or a 4-1
  • miltankmilk brings a team including a Chansey and an Icy Wind Mega Latias, and wins 3-0 against fespy's team, which features Mega Manectric, Tapu Bulu, Grassy Seed Milotic and SubDD Zygarde
edit: P.S. [RUIN] Croven vs Human [WOLF]

Last edited:

MajorBowman

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly it's kinda funny that the same* group of 6 mons has been brought against Edu 3 times in SPL now, if someone venmos me $50 I'll make it 4. Also who keeps letting Croven win smh

Week 7
[SHRK] fespy vs emforbes [TYRN]
[WOLF] Human vs Ezrael [BIGS]
[RAID] Biosci vs Croven [RUIN]
[CONG] EmbCPT vs MajorBowman [TGRS]
[SCTR] miltankmilk vs SMB [CRYO]

honest predictions round 2
[SHRK] fespy vs emforbes [TYRN] -Fespys in a rough patch, and emforbes hasn't exactly been playing great this tournament either. Emforbes has a much higher skill floor imo though. My prediction is this game goes 30 turns, emforbes clicks U-turn 16 times and ends up winning a decent game.
[WOLF] Human vs Ezrael [BIGS] - Jon is actually playing a decent game these days and human gets bailed out every week that he wins. I don't feel confident in this pick but who cares, going with Jon because luck runs out eventually.
[RAID] Biosci vs Croven [RUIN] - Croven is big fire, maybe qsns will even build him a team this week. While perhaps the techs on biosci's teams are getting closer to landing properly, we could see another abomination at any point. Going with the reliable croven this game.
[CONG] EmbCPT vs MajorBowman [TGRS] - OMFG CHEESE PLAY A REAL GAME OF POKEMON YOU MEANIES. Jake wins because he has no shame and will cheese the fuck out of edu, who will jerk with his tourbros and use broken incineroar cores.

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
p r e d i x

[SHRK] fespy vs emforbes [TYRN] - both aint doin too hot but emilio's play is much better than fespy's in my opinion. since fespy does not seem to be taking my Expert Advice™ of cheesing every game, i predict both of them to have mediocre teams and emilio to win by outplaying (also 100% agree w everything milk said)

[WOLF] Human vs Ezrael [BIGS] - tough one. i personally think human's prep has actually been decent as long as he covers for fullroom, and he probably(? not too sure) should've won against me without the paras. ezrael's good too and his teams have been decent as well so like this isn't an easy prediction to make. just gonna go w human since i think they're fairly similar on terms of playing but i think human'll win the prep game if he goes for it

[CONG] EmbCPT vs MajorBowman [TGRS] - not too much to say, edu's in a rut w teams and play, bowmans brought fire resists his last game. always been a fan of bowman's teams and play so i think he'll just win via better team that matches up well vs edu's typical builds and outplaying.
edit: fuck bowman for being a dweeb. i've liked his teams throughout all his past team tours, and the only ones i've disliked were in the 3ish weeks prior to me writing my first post. his team this week was cool so i think he's back on track, thus me predicting him to continue bringing the good teams ive come to expect from him

[SCTR] miltankmilk vs SMB [CRYO] - my personal highlight of the week, and one of my favorite matches of the season overall. really liked both of these players' teams (even milk's week 2 was decent) and their playing. my game v smb was one of my favorites too. close but milk should be 5-1 w/o luck and smb got a couple donations w his games against biosci and emilio, and while he's a great player he hasnt been earning all his wins quite like miltank has. not really sure who's going to win the prep game if they both go for it, but based on the past weeks milk has been more dominant. cant wait to watch this, and going to predict the milk dude

Last edited:

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
Week 6 Highlights:
  • Almost all of my predictions were correct, proving I’m actually a half Psychic-type Pokémon.
  • Croven winning back-to-back matches, and holding his weight.
  • SMB 6-0’ing EmbCPT, and officially becoming SMG.
Week 7 Predictions:
  • Fespy vs Emforbes
  • Human vs Ezrael
  • Biosci vs Croven
  • EmbCPT vs MajorBowman
  • MiltankMilk vs SMB

Last edited:

Level 51

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Highlights of Week 6:
  • The power of predicting against Croven rears its head in the form of Static
  • Human's Discord avatar is now, appropriately, a Human! (...maybe "appropriately" is the wrong word to use there.)
  • Missing the SMB - Edu match, despite it being the match most squarely within my normal waking hours, because no one tagged Matches
  • [This highlight redacted due to potentially offensive content]
  • Realising that most of the stuff that I post each week isn't actually highlights, just "mildly interesting stats"
Mildly interesting stats:
  • The last time a team with both Landorus-T and Incineroar won a game was in Week 4; it's gone 3-6 overall (if my counting is correct)
  • If we count Biosci's Week 1 game as a win for him (as it would have been, had he clicked his move about half a second earlier), Edu is now 0-4 against Gothitelle
  • The competition has begun to heat up: for the first time this season, all 10 teams brought this week contain at least one Fire-type
    • (One specific Mega Metagross begins to heat up, too, apparently)
Week 7 Predictions:
  • With Sun gradually increasing in popularity over the past few weeks, someone takes the natural next step and brings Mega Houndoom as part of #TeamUnderdog
  • Croven finds that, given his current record, playing at home has been too easy, so he moves to playing in more challenging structures such as a local police office or construction site to prove he's the #BuildingMaster
  • Halfway through a match a player is informed that he's become a father because he decided, once, to say #FuckProtect
  • After their faith and fervent prayer fails to reward them with a win in this week, someone feels that they've had enough of their own religion and decides it's time to #SwitchGod
P.S. [RAID] Biosci vs Croven [RUIN]

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Since no one else has.... heres week 8 pairings. qsns gets his shot at his old teammate, guess we'll see whos the real brains behind Croven's success

Week 8
[BIGS] Ezrael vs Biosci [RAID]
[TGRS] MajorBowman vs qsns [RUIN]
[TYRN] emforbes vs miltankmilk [SCTR]
[CRYO] SMB vs fespy [SHRK]
[WOLF] Human vs EmbCPT [CONG]

Level 51

Highlights of Week 7:
  • Biosci vs Croven:
  • Biosci leaking his own team, 4 posts above this one (here). Definitely a bold strategy, bet Croven never saw that coming
  • fespy showing he's earned the title of "sleeper pick" by succumbing to emforbes' Bronzong
  • MajorBowman's nicknames
Mildly interesting stats:
  • Stakataka is now 0-4.
    • miltankmilk brought Stakataka in Week 3 and Week 7; each game featured at least one significant instance of hax against miltankmilk
    • Biosci brought Stakataka in Week 1 and lost to timer
    • Lunar brought Stakataka in Week 3 and lost to Croven an arguably poor matchup, and a Sing miss that probably didn't matter
      • In three of these cases (Biosci W1, Lunar W3, miltankmilk W7), the game loss contributed to a week (loss/loss/tie) that was one point away from being a (tie/tie/win)
        • tl;dr Stakataka is cursed, stop using it.
  • Volcarona has now won 1 game a week for the last 3 weeks!
    • It's been brought a total of 4 times; apart from Biosci's, which was a support variant, it's had Bug Buzz as its secondary attacking move in each of the other 3 appearances
  • EmbCPT is the only player to have won with Zeraora. This week was the first time Zeraora won against a team without Zeraora.
  • The last time a Zygarde used Dragon Dance and then went on to win the match was Week 3, in fespy vs EmbCPT.
Week 8 Predictions:
  • qsns shows Croven how to really use Crabominable
  • With teams becoming increasingly certain of their playoffs / elimination status, the Nosepass family epidemic begins to spread to DOU
  • Much to everyone's disappointment, MajorBowman goes back to using song titles as nicknames
  • miltankmilk gets haxed again
P.S. (there's nothing to put here since Croven isn't playing)

[BIGS] Ezrael vs Biosci [RAID]- this prediction is not based on skill or any other real playing metric, but the raiders being eliminated and biosci having already used a mega slowbro. I am scared for our usage stats for what will come out this week.
[TGRS] MajorBowman vs qsns [RUIN] - qsns is flames, last time we saw this matchup we had z fight deo and like a 6 turn game. If the game takes longer than 12 turns, bowman wins but im expecting some CREATIVITY from the rooners.
[CRYO] SMB vs fespy [SHRK] - both teams are out, fespy got 6-0d last week. I think this game will be pretty lopsided.
[WOLF] Human vs EmbCPT [CONG]- we saw a decent team from edu last week which means this week will likely be some really jank shit. I predict humans team will lose to fullroom again but he will not encounter it and win an ugly game

Last edited:

MajorBowman

Last week of the regular season, Week 9!

[TGRS] MajorBowman vs Human [WOLF]
[CONG] EmbCPT vs emforbes [TYRN]
[RAID] Biosci vs fespy [SHRK]
[SCTR] miltankmilk vs qsns [RUIN]
[BIGS] Ezrael vs SMB [CRYO]

[TGRS] MajorBowman vs Human [WOLF] - Jake has played better throughout this season, even if some of his teams have been a litte jank imo. No speed koko and karts a sin but he makes it work most of the time, human brought electric resist offensive kyub last week and still almost beat koko so maybe he can win? He’s almost always at a teambuilding disadvantage tho, goin with jake.
[CONG] EmbCPT vs emforbes [TYRN]- emforbes played a really solid game vs me last week, pretty much mistake free and took advantage of his matchup well. Meanwhile edu almost lost what looked like a pretty unlosable matchup both having koko and trick room vs no ground type/no terrain webs.
[RAID] Biosci vs fespy [SHRK]- fespy’s been declining hard this tournament, bio will win and finish within one game of .500 using something cool this week.
[SCTR] miltankmilk vs qsns [RUIN] - thursday 7pm est
[BIGS] Ezrael vs SMB [CRYO] - big IF here, does smb bring something worse than dugtrio, he will probably lose to the same chansey teams jon brings most weeks. If smb brings something better than dug, he wins because he’s the better player in a setting like spl that favors creativity

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)