Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I am running a 4 attacks HDB Volcanion and Choice Specs Tapu Lele core, are there any good teammates that anyone would recommend?
:Zeraora: can give you nice speed control and it works pretty well as a win condition with bulk up alongside volcanion and specs lele that can break down its checks. :Kartana: with choice scarf is also quite threatening as a speed control wincon.
:Landorus-therian: + :ferrothorn: unsurprisingly fit very well as a spikes core since you have two boots mons.
:Melmetal: with assault vest can also work over ferrothorn for a more offensively threatening bulky steel type.
:Tornadus-therian: is notoriously good alongside specs lele because it checks many faster threats like shifu and kart and can provide knockturn support for lele and volc to break better, as well as defog although it's not as needed here.
These are the main and most viable ones
that came to mind, hopefully it helped.

Is Weezing-Galar viable? If so, on what teams, and with what partners? I've been thinking about using this thing lately and it seems extremely useful as a hard-counter to weather, terrain, and pretty much any ability-reliant Pokemon like Magic Guard Clef, Speed Boost Blaziken, and Regenerator Pokemon.

Last edited:

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Is Weezing-Galar viable? If so, on what teams, and with what partners? I've been thinking about using this thing lately and it seems extremely useful as a hard-counter to weather, terrain, and ability-reliant Pokemon like Magic Guard Clef and Regenerator Pokemon.
Galarian Weezing's main issue is that it struggles to switch into most offensive Pokemon in the tier (Lele, Pult, Urshi, Kart with Smart Strike, Weavile with Triple Axel, Melmetal, Garchomp... can all 2HKO it or threaten it enough, you can maybe annoy Weavile and Urshi with a Rocky Helmet tho, but this means even less recovery and Weavile can Koff anyway), giving it a poor defensive utility for a defensive Pokemon and thus making it super hard to fit in a team. Add to this that its only recovery is Pain Split which is not reliable at all.

Its ability can be useful to prevent some Regenerator recovery, but that's pretty much all. Weather and terrain can be set before Weezing comes in, and as it doesn't apply much pressure, you don't really mind not being able to set your terrain/weather when it's in and can just pivot around it. Also, one of the main Regenerator mon in Toxapex doesn't mind coming in on Galarian Weezing and can just heal with Recover to compensate for the lack of Regenerator, which means that you need to predict Toxapex switching out to punish it. Last Galarian Weezing issue is that you let some Pokemon like Heatran in for free, cause even if you negate Flash Fire Heatran will take no damage from Flamethrower anyway.

Due to all this I would say that Galarian Weezing is not really viable, and that's not a defensive Pokemon you want to fit in a team (that's only my opinion tho, didn’t test the mon ingame). The only time I saw one (post the Urshifu-S era) was as a Suicide lead with Tspikes + Memento, but even in this role it seems pretty bad.

airfare

is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OUPL Champion
weezing is fire: spreads status, walls grasses and grounds, defogs vs most things not named heatran, resists moonblast
its flaws are pretty apparent tho: letting tran in for free, pretty bad vs any fat build because of its inability to harm pex/bliss etc besides burn, and unreliable recovery in split
try this out, i tried to address most of these flaws as well as possible and think it resulted in a decently solid team where it has an actual use rather than just being slapped on

weezing is fire: spreads status, walls grasses and grounds, defogs vs most things not named heatran, resists moonblast
its flaws are pretty apparent tho: letting tran in for free, pretty bad vs any fat build because of its inability to harm pex/bliss etc besides burn, and unreliable recovery in split
try this out, i tried to address most of these flaws as well as possible and think it resulted in a decently solid team where it has an actual use rather than just being slapped on
looks interesting, gonna have to check the teams out. thanks man

Is Weezing-Galar viable? If so, on what teams, and with what partners? I've been thinking about using this thing lately and it seems extremely useful as a hard-counter to weather, terrain, and pretty much any ability-reliant Pokemon like Magic Guard Clef, Speed Boost Blaziken, and Regenerator Pokemon.
Galarian Weezing is that type of heat that can actually work but needs very specific team support because it has many flaws.
First of all, I would discourage you from trying to use Neutralising Gas. Levitate on a Poison Fairy type is with no recovery is huge in a metagame where Ferrothorn sets Spikes up consistently and you got Pokémon like Garchomp and Landorus-T that you can completely blank. Use Levitate to turn G-Weez in an annoying physical wall to stop Ground and Grass offense as well as being a decent pivot into Dark STABs Knock Off and the newly abused Beat Up. Tap into its support movepool which holds Will-O-Wisp, Defog, Aromatherapy, Pain Split and even Corrosive Gas to remove items from everything, even Heatran and Toxapex. You almost always want Flamethrower to not be sitting duck against Ferrothorns, Kartanas and Steel types in general. For STAB I'd actually use Sludge Bomb to spread even more status as well as hitting fairies.

The team shared by airfare is a good example of a structure that can host G-Weez unique and wierd support kit. You generally want a bulky team with a slow, chip damage oriented approach as G-Weez thrives in extended defensive cores and crippling opposing Pokémon.

I've seen some people recommend that new players not copy teams and instead go through the trial and error of building their own.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/teambuilding-guide.3552468/
but I've also seen people say you should cop and use notable teams for the tier (such as sample teams) before trying to build teams of their own.

The real answer seems to be a mix of both of these two approaches, but I'm curious
Sample teams are for those players who want to have a taste of the metagame but don't know with which team to start because they can't build a team for whatever reason. Use them on ladder to have a feel of how SS OU plays and the trends you encounter. With this experience you should then be able to start creating your own craft after a while.

Sample teams are for those players who want to have a taste of the metagame but don't know with which team to start because they can't build a team for whatever reason. Use them on ladder to have a feel of how SS OU plays and the trends you encounter. With this experience you should then be able to start creating your own craft after a while.
I figured, but the advice seemed polarizing for some reason. What do you think of frameworks? I've seen people say these guides are a bit outdated, and frameworks hinders your teambuilding unless you are building a type of team with very specific needs, like weather, namely rain
https://www.smogon.com/smog/issue28/teambuilding

https://www.smogon.com/articles/getting-started

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I figured, but the advice seemed polarizing for some reason. What do you think of frameworks? I've seen people say these guides are a bit outdated, and frameworks hinders your teambuilding unless you are building a type of team with very specific needs, like weather, namely rain
https://www.smogon.com/smog/issue28/teambuilding

https://www.smogon.com/articles/getting-started
Frameworks are nice for the most basic understanding of the game in theory but it's better to just grab some teams and play. The understanding of building comes from how things work and you won't understand it if you don't play/involve yourself in format as well as analyze games and your own. While those articles are informative for general purposes they don't really teach you how to apply stuff in practice.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Hail, Sand, and Rain are all plenty viable. Hail can simply be Veil HO with five sweepers or teams with Arctozolt, both of which have seen respectable levels of usage in recent months. Sand has seen better days, but we have seen it intermittently across 2022 and it is decently viable. Rain is arguably more ladder focused, but it can be potent and appreciates Kyurem being gone.

Rain is dominating right now, but the other weathers are also good.
Hail, Sand, and Rain are all plenty viable. Hail can simply be Veil HO with five sweepers or teams with Arctozolt, both of which have seen respectable levels of usage in recent months. Sand has seen better days, but we have seen it intermittently across 2022 and it is decently viable. Rain is arguably more ladder focused, but it can be potent and appreciates Kyurem being gone.
As shown in the discussion initiated two pages back, I think Sun is really viable too as lots of good abusers like Volcorona, Blaziken, Darminitan, and Heatran as partners to Venusaur.

I'm curious about what's holding back Sand atm as an equal to Rain as it was in previous generations as you maybe can run something like ice fang Hippo to lure the omnipresent Lando to help Dracozolt and Excadrill, the former of which beats the metal birds and most bulky waters with it's electric stab for Excadrill which in turn can help with checking fairies for Dracozolt. And Rillabloom doesn't seem to be as popular nowadays.

Why do people run Ancient Power on offensive Regieleki? Is it really to do a bit more to Volcarona and Arctozolt, and hit niche mons like shedinja and thundurus-t? I would imagine using Swift or Round as your final move to do more to oncoming Garchomp would be more useful in most games, since 9/10 times if Garchomp is their ground type they'll be bringing it in.

Why do people run Ancient Power on offensive Regieleki? Is it really to do a bit more to Volcarona and Arctozolt, and hit niche mons like shedinja and thundurus-t? I would imagine using Swift or Round as your final move to do more to oncoming Garchomp would be more useful in most games, since 9/10 times if Garchomp is their ground type they'll be bringing it in.
plus you can cheese with the occasional boosts. Lost a game to regieleki because of that lol.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
I'm curious about what's holding back Sand atm as an equal to Rain as it was in previous generations as you maybe can run something like ice fang Hippo to lure the omnipresent Lando to help Dracozolt and Excadrill, the former of which beats the metal birds and most bulky waters with it's electric stab for Excadrill which in turn can help with checking fairies for Dracozolt. And Rillabloom doesn't seem to be as popular nowadays.
Because both Excadrill and Dracozolt sucks. On paper, Zolt may be similar to Nidoking in which it is a massive pain in the ass to switch into but in practice, you need to have godlike predictions to make significant progress. Not only that, Zolt commonly runs life orb so combined with hazard damage, Zolt kills itself very fast. Spdef Lando also hurts its presence a lot since it can't easily draco it into oblivion, unlike before where physdef Lando was the thing. Oh, and if you run into Hippowdon then Dracozolt really isn't gonna be doing anything at all. Excadrill on the other hand, also sucks but not as much as Dracozolt. The problem is metal birbs and again, Landorus. Flying lion isn't as big an issue now as before due to the spdef but metal birbs are the biggest issue. Not to mention the presence of Buzzwall, Zapdos and Slowbro holds it back a lot. Above all, Excadrill just faces too much competition as an offensive ground type from Garchomp, probably one of the top ten mons rn and it's really hard to compete when the competition is that good of a pokemon

Now, while Dracozolt does suck, that doesn't mean it has to be the one used. One of sand's best qualities is that it doesn't really need that many abusers. In fact, you can even make a sand team that has a Hippowdon, Excadrill + any breaker like Blacephalon or Lele in Dracozolt's place but at that point, why not just use Garchomp in Excadrill's place? Sand veil may be banned but that didn't change anything about Chomp at all and having a move that boosts speed is usually more reliable than having to rely on sand since, well, you run out of sand pretty fast especially if you're not using that weather rock

airfare

is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OUPL Champion
yes, that extra damage can help secure a KO on the boosted threats or some of the more niche answers that you mentioned. for reference, ancient power min roll ≈ tbolt max roll vs volcarona, kyurem, and arctozolt, which makes a pretty big difference. even if swift hits garchomp you'll usually gain more (and risk less) by switching than by predictively hitting the incoming garchomp for 17%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)