Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Okay, I have some Sun-related questions:
  1. How hot is the sun?
  2. How far exactly is the sun from the Earth?
Okay, in all seriousness:
  1. Is Sun viable?
  2. Is Exeggutor-A viable on Sun?
  3. If yeah, I'm imagining it's a Harvest set. What berry would be run?
  4. What other niche chad Pokemon benefit from Sun?
  1. Pretty hot.
  2. Not that far.

1. Yes.
  2. Viable, yes, but thoroughly obsolete.
  3. Starf, Kee or Lum Berry would be the most beneficial.
  4. Cloyster can OHKO non-Assault Vest Melmetal with Weather Ball.

Okay, I have some Sun-related questions:
  1. How hot is the sun?
  2. How far exactly is the sun from the Earth?
Okay, in all seriousness:
  1. Is Sun viable?
  2. Is Exeggutor-A viable on Sun?
  3. If yeah, I'm imagining it's a Harvest set. What berry would be run?
  4. What other niche chad Pokemon benefit from Sun?
Sun is very niche, although I think also pretty unexplored, there are some interesting techs that can be used in sun.

One for example is scarf or life orb synthesis :kartana: with solar blade. kart itself is obviously not niche, but people do forget solar blade is a thing.
:Choice scarf::Kartana: solar blade:

vs -1 Def :garchomp:
Leaf Blade 83.1 - 98.3%
Solar Blade 115.4 - 136.1%

vs :Dragapult:
Leaf Blade 37.5 - 44.4%
Solar Blade 52 - 61.5%

vs uninvested :zapdos: (rain)
Leaf Blade 33.6 - 39.5%
Solar Blade 46.4 - 54.8%

vs :Weavile:
Leaf Blade 95.3 - 112.4%
Solar Blade 132.7 - 156.2%

Pretty ridiculous imo and also eases prediction a lot. ofc you don't need to drop leaf blade for it, you can run solar blade instead of smart strike

This also forms a decent grass spam core with venusaur with ep+wball to smack every steel type around.
Speaking of Venu, the only other chlorophyll user id consider is :shiftry: because it's great against pult between knock and potentially sucker punch, which also helps against opposing mons in rain like skewda or toad. It also has wball and heat wave for consistent fire coverage outside of sun. Venu is better in every other aspect though, 99.9% of the time just use Venu.

:landorus-therian: has weather ball, base 105 spatk and earth power, which means you can use lando as a slow pivot that can lure some steel types and chip opposing lando with sun boosted wballs while still retaining damage with its ground stab.

Chad :Darmanitan: is pretty busted as a sun abuser with choice band it 2hkos everything that isn't immune and it dies not caring about the lives he takes.

Other than these things, I got nothing.

Okay, first of all, when I woke up this morning, I was not expecting so many answers. Thank you, I really appreciate it.
1. Surface temperature of the Sun is 5778K

2. The Sun is 147.5 km from the Earth

Afaik

1. Yes, sun is viable but very... volatile, I guess is the right word for it

2-3. Absolutely not. The only reason to ever use sun teams is Venusaur. If you're not using Venusaur, don't use sun teams. Simple as that. Even if you use Exeggutor, it's not a particularly good idea because Venusaur exists and if you're not using chlorophyll, then you're only making your team more vulnerable. Not only that, Eggy is a psychic type while its Alolan form is dragon, both types which are destroyed by Dragapult, a pokemon who is notorious from ripping sun teams apart

4. Sun doesn't really have too many options for its team. Most sun teams would consist of Torkoal, Venusaur, Mandibuzz and a sun abuser like specs Heatran, Charizard or Volcanion, band Victini, Entei or Darmanitan. The last two would usually consist of a ground type and the last is just whatever as long as there is a guaranteed method of breaking past Heatran especially the air balloon variants
Did you google that? Petele obviously was too lazy to, I can relate.
By volatile, I'm guessing you mean wild and unpredictable? Yeah. Exeggutor-A being unviable is pretty sad, to me at least, since Harvest does sound pretty good on paper, but I guess you're right. It's incredibly gimmicky and destroyed by Pult. Speaking of Pult, I've never heard of Pult ripping Sun teams apart before, since Sun isn't talked about/used much, but that's good to know.

Mandi is cool. Probably my go-to Dark on my teams, considering 2 of OU's Darks have been falling in usage lately (you know which 2) and all 3 of OU's Darks are super-weak to Fighting. As for sun abusers, they look pretty cool. I'm particularly excited to try Specs Volc and Band Darm. Thanks!

1. Pretty hot.
  2. Not that far.

1. Yes.
  2. Viable, yes, but thoroughly obsolete.
  3. Starf, Kee or Lum Berry would be the most beneficial.
  4. Cloyster can OHKO non-Assault Vest Melmetal with Weather Ball.
Cloyster can OHKO Melm? That's pretty cool, I didn't know that, thanks!
Sorry I didn't say much, Red Raven already explained more in-depth about the matter, but of course, I still greatly appreciate the help :blobuwu:

Sun is very niche, although I think also pretty unexplored, there are some interesting techs that can be used in sun.

One for example is scarf or life orb synthesis :kartana: with solar blade. kart itself is obviously not niche, but people do forget solar blade is a thing.
:Choice scarf::Kartana: solar blade:

vs -1 Def :garchomp:
Leaf Blade 83.1 - 98.3%
Solar Blade 115.4 - 136.1%

vs :Dragapult:
Leaf Blade 37.5 - 44.4%
Solar Blade 52 - 61.5%

vs uninvested :zapdos: (rain)
Leaf Blade 33.6 - 39.5%
Solar Blade 46.4 - 54.8%

vs :Weavile:
Leaf Blade 95.3 - 112.4%
Solar Blade 132.7 - 156.2%

Pretty ridiculous imo and also eases prediction a lot. ofc you don't need to drop leaf blade for it, you can run solar blade instead of smart strike

This also forms a decent grass spam core with venusaur with ep+wball to smack every steel type around.
Speaking of Venu, the only other chlorophyll user id consider is :shiftry: because it's great against pult between knock and potentially sucker punch, which also helps against opposing mons in rain like skewda or toad. It also has wball and heat wave for consistent fire coverage outside of sun. Venu is better in every other aspect though, 99.9% of the time just use Venu.

:landorus-therian: has weather ball, base 105 spatk and earth power, which means you can use lando as a slow pivot that can lure some steel types and chip opposing lando with sun boosted wballs while still retaining damage with its ground stab.

Chad :Darmanitan: is pretty busted as a sun abuser with choice band it 2hkos everything that isn't immune and it dies not caring about the lives he takes.

Other than these things, I got nothing.
SB Kart looks broken lmao. Venusaur is definitely better (albeit Shiftry is cool, one of the first ever mons I caught)
SpA Lando is weird, even though it has a higher base SpA than Pult, but yeah I mean considering Sun is already off-meta why not just go all the way?
Chad :darmanitan: :blobwizard:

Thanks!

i might even consider putting exeggutor-a on trick room before sun if you really want to use it. I tried a specs set earlier in the gen, and it was ok... i guess, but i feel like its job could be done better by a lot of things

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Can Galarian Moltres fit on bulky offense or balance teams or is it strictly on screens hyper offense? If it can, then what are some good teammates for it aside from the ones who can reliably get Blissey out of the way?

Can Galarian Moltres fit on bulky offense or balance teams or is it strictly on screens hyper offense? If it can, then what are some good teammates for it aside from the ones who can reliably get Blissey out of the way?
I'm no expert at Showdown, but Pinkacross used Goltres on a Psyspam team that is definitely not a HO, so that answers your first question. I'll let some OU experts answer the rest

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
generally speaking, it fits on HO teams best by far

I think it technically can, but only theoretically. it has some good defensive utility against grasses and ghosts and has under-utilized tools such as U-turn, which is very valuable for balance teams. However, it is heavily crippled by a lack of Roost: if moltres-g had roost it could potentially fullfill a defensive niche akin to what mandibuzz used to do, but with more offensive prowess and without defog. without roost, moltres is forced to play on more offensive teams due to its defensive utility being effectively usable once or twice at best. due to this, you are much better off using gmolt with all-out, almost all or nothing boosting sets on heavily offensive oriented teams. it's sad, really. I wish we could use an actually threatening version of mandibuzz as a ghost resist. why gf decided not to give roost to the galar birds is beyond my comprehension.
the best i can think of for moltres galar on balance teams is some hdb set with fiery dance, uturn and two out of hurricane, nasty plot and taunt, but that's highly suboptimal. np taunt sets have no longevity to be used successfully without some kind of wish support, which isn't very usable in this generation

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Does your elo go down when not playing? I have had an alt where it reached 1600 elo and I didn't play on it since I wanted to see if I could surpass that but when I checked, it now only has 1400

What are good partners for Specs Volcanion? Landorus-T seems like a great partner, but I'm struggling to think of partners beyond defensive type synergy––I know volc appreciates being brought in safely, too...

What are good partners for Specs Volcanion? Landorus-T seems like a great partner, but I'm struggling to think of partners beyond defensive type synergy––I know volc appreciates being brought in safely, too...
I sort of already touched on this topic on an earlier reply so I'll just quote it to you. I briefly explained the main forms of support that specs volc needs, with some examples.
Hopefully it answers your question

Depending on the set, you will have different possible teammates, but there are a few things you want either way to support Volcanion
- Pivots that give Volcanion entry against bulky Steel and/or bulky Ground types
- Speed control / cleaners that appreciates pressure being put on special walls and/or bulky waters
- Stealth Rock to help it wallbreak / pick up kos
- Reliable defensive counterplay for fast Electric and Ground types

mons that fit one or more of these criteria are lando-t, torn-t, tapu koko, weavile, ferrothorn, garchomp, clefable, zapdos,...
also specs volcanion can be a good rain abuser since it spams powerful water stabs without fearing ferrothorn, tapu fini and toxapex thanks to flamethrower, sludge wave and earth power, respectively

:choice specs::volcanion:
Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest or Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

choice specs volcanion has nuclear power by itself but needs a good Defogger by its side to do its job properly, without getting worn down quickly by rocks
You may also find some inspiration here:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...nion-submissions.3660737/page-37#post-9112105

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Anything that can get rid of Blissey and Galarian Slowking would make for great partners since they can scout out what moves you lock yourself into. Mons like Corviknight, Tornadus and Zapdos are also great partners since they can remove stealth rock and have a switch move to bring you in

However, I personally think Pelipper is Volcanion's best partner. With rain up, its rain boosted stab specs steam eruption two shots even Blissey. Torkoal is also another great partner since it does the same but this time on fire blast.. You do have to be careful about fire blast accuracy which is why I think Pelipper is the superior choice

Definitely. I'm not much of an HO player, but having a suicide lead like Excadrill or Mew to set up hazards before dying fainting is extremely useful and helps to pick up some KOs. But personally, I like a Screens/Taunt lead like Koko better.
Yes and just about every hyper offense teams have a suicide lead. Atm, I think that the best one is Mew since it can learn both rocks and spikes and is almost impossible to kill in one shot
Is there a particular spread?

Is there a particular spread?
:Red Card: :ss/Mew: :Red Card:
Mew @ Red Card
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Flare Blitz

:Focus Sash: :ss/Excadrill: :Focus Sash:
Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

:Light Clay: :ss/Tapu-Koko: :Light Clay:
Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Taunt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)