Short but Sweet: An Uber Warstory

Ubers. The most frightening tier in the Pokemon DP. An anything goes, environment were only Arceus itself is banned (and that's only for technical reasons). These Ubers are not only obscenely powerful but are some of the hardest to obtain (in-game). For this reason, Ubers are scarce in the WiFi battling environment and why this metagame was mostly forgotten. However with the event of ShoddyBattle's release (Thank you Colin and the often-forgotten, Bearzly) and the subsequent addition of an Uber Ladder, this long, lost metagame has been rebuilt and reformed. The ShoddyBattle environment while emulating the nature of WiFi has become more 'legal' during times of late, regulating the IVs of Legendaries and banning Event moves to capture a better reflection of WiFi.

Now the point of this Warstory is not to discuss Shoddy Policy, but you'll see how the legality of Shoddy pokemon and certain moves play into this very fun, fast and furious game between myself and Ike123. Don't let the simplistic (Brawl-based?) name and the numbering following his name lead you into believing he's not a skilled opponent. Number 3 on the Uber Ladder and a full 45.8815 points ahead of me, puts Ike123 in the prestigious Top 3 occupied by both Vanz (Maniaclyracist) and Jeb (Sovereign). Just from the difference in points you can see a huge gap between me and him.

Well this is a battle where we both have had (some) prior knowledge of each other's teams having gone through a few battles with each other before the match showcased in this Warstory. As such prediction will be even more intense, and so hopefully, will be my commentary. Well enough of a build-up, I think i've gotten your attention and if you've just skimmed this and went straight in to the battle, good for you.

Train Man's TEAM:

Ike123's TEAM:

And as for Formatting,

---
Nicknames will be omitted.
Weather Effects will be included.
Leftovers will be omitted.
The following Pokemon have Leftovers -
Train Man's Kyogre, Groudon, Blissey and Lugia.
Ike123's Groudon.
Score will be presented after each KO (Train Man - Ike123)
Health (in percentages) will be presented after each turn.
Battle Chat will be in Italics.
Battle Text will be in Bold.
Commentary will be plainly written.
When two of the same pokemon are on-scene together, mine will be represented with a * (Star).
---

Well, what else can I say but: LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!
You knew it was coming, didn't you.

---
Ike123 sent out Dialga.
Train Man sent out Kyogre.
Kyogre's Drizzle caused a storm!
Rain began to fall!
Sc has entered the room.

Kyogre - 100% Health
Dialga - 100% Health
---

Dialga stares down my Kyogre, both trying to recall what each can do from matches, prior. Ike123 runs one of the strangest and most deceptive Dialga sets out there and i'm still not entirely sure what Item it's using, nor all it's moves. From what I saw last match, it had Flamethrower, Thunder, Dragon Pulse and something else. Obviously Dragon Pulse was there for STAB and the other two Special Attacks there to abuse either weather, Sun or Rain.

It doesn't have a Choice Item or Leftovers from prior encounters so while I believe it's an odd Mixed Dialga, I can't be certain. Either way, I know it's not a favourable match up as Dialga resists both my attacks (as i'm not carrying Ice Beam) and I make a switch to Blissey.

---
Train Man switched in Blissey.
Dialga used Dragon Pulse.
Blissey lost 17% of its health.
The rain continues to fall.

Blissey - 89% Health
Dialga - 100% Health
---

In the last few matches i'd been going to Groudon on a predicted Thunder to absorb the attack, and proceed to outspeed and OHKO with an Earthquake. It seems we're both predicting from the get-go, using our prior knowledge. What may seem like guesswork is actually mindgames on his part. As I haven't really changed my Team too much over the course of the last few months and especially not over the last few battles, he on the other hand has gone through a plethora of teams, all usually with an offensive playstyle. I do know and remember the basic mechanics of this team, but as alluded to earlier, I don't know the entirety of it's intricacies and nuances.

What I do know is that his Dialga can't touch my Blissey or at least has always run from it in previous games. Perhaps he's using Dragon Claw for the Lati Twins. I sure have. Anyway, I predict a switch to something that can throw around physical hits and respond by going to Groudon. Stealth Rocks and residual damage is very important when going against offensive teams like this due to the large amounts of switching going on.

---
Ike123 switched in Groudon.
Groudon's Drought intensified the sun's rays!
The rain stopped.
The sun began to shine!
Train Man switched in Groudon*.
The sun continues to shine.

Groudon* - 100% Health
Groudon - 100% Health
---

Rock Titan VS Rock Titan. We're both running the Supporting Groudon set and know it. As I know his team and how weak one like it, is to a Dragon Dance'd Rayquaza, I know that poisoning his Groudon, the Defensive 'wall' of his team, will have a lasting effect that could ease a Rayquaza sweep. At the same time, those Stealth Rocks can could come in very handily breaking Deoxys' Sash, putting the hurt on Rayquaza and draining Kyogre's massive HP and thus the power of its Water Spout.

I could even Earthquake trying to get in as much damage as I can as Groudon lacks recovery outside of Leftovers and does not have Wish Support. However I stick with my convictions and select Toxic hoping that it would pay off in the long run.

---
Ike123 switched in Deoxys-f.
Groudon used Toxic.
Deoxys-f was badly poisoned!

Groudon - 100% Health
Deoxys-f - 94% Health. Badly Poisoned.
---

While that might seem like a risky move, Ike was trying to reserve Deoxys' Sash the best way he could. Had I gone with Stealth Rock, Deoxys would still have his Sash and begin to OHKO or 2HKO everything on my team. Had Earthquake come his way he would've at least survived (thanks to the Sash) and sweep as best it could. And if Ike had stayed in and gotten poisoned, then Groudon's survivability and recovery would be even worse than what it already is.

I remember his Deoxys' moveset clearly as one of its moves, surprising and just a tad overcentralising, changed the course of the last game. Hidden Power Fire. Scizor and Metagross are some of Deoxys' best counters due to the mindgames of Priority moves and Pursuit. I also know that it's carrying Grass Knot and Ice Beam with a very likely SuperPower for Blissey. I need to bring Scizor in as it's my best chance of killing that thing but switching it in directly is both, too obvious and too risky. I need to tread carefully around that thing and precict well.

If I switch to Kyogre, I can change the weather and Scizor WILL definitely be able to survive an HP Fire and come in on the Grass Knot aimed at Kyogre allowing me to practically eliminate it for free. If I stay in with Groudon, SuperPower and HP Fire will do quite little and a KO with Earthquake would be easy. Blissey can Toxi-Stall it with Protect but otherwise isn't really an option. However of the three attacks it would most likely use, Lugia resists or takes fairly little and thus is the best stepping stone to Scizor.

---
Train Man switched in Lugia.
Deoxys-f used Hidden Power.
Lugia lost 27% of its health.
Deoxys-f is hurt by poison!

Lugia - 79% Health
Deoxys-f - 82% Health. Badly Poisoned.
---

The pressure is mounting. The tension is rising and the stakes are ever-higher. I brought in Lugia hoping to then lure in an Ice Beam, then go to Scizor to counter that Deoxys. I'm quite certain that he won't overpredict and try for another HP Fire as a popular tactic he's seen me use is to Ice Beam his Deoxys killing it, though taking a hefty amount of damage (a 2HKO) in the proccess. But while Lugia can't handle his Supporting Groudon, I know it'll be more than necessary against his SD Rayquaza, especially considering how slow my team is.

I make the switch to Scizor as the Toxic builds in damage. It takes about five turns for Toxic to kill and that's just five turns too many. Not to mention that every time I make a prediction, it's a risk as Ike's a very adaptive and skilled player who will outpredict me, at least eventually.

---
Train Man switched in Scizor.
Deoxys-f used Ice Beam.
It's not very effective...
Scizor lost 23% of its health.

Scizor - 77% Health
Deoxys-f - 64% Health. Badly Poisoned.
---

Mission Complete. Having gotten in my Scizor in safely, I feel a sense of relief. Now it's his turn to be on the defensive. I've got control of the situation currently. I can OHKO that thing without losing a single hit-point (outside of Life Orb damage) with either Quick Attack or Pursuit. Having this control, however makes me a more conservative battler and from prior Warstories (if you follow them) you'd probably know that my offensive predictions are a little worse than my defensive ones. I opt for the reasonably riskless Quick Attack. If I do hit him, he's dead and if I don't I just lose 10% from LO. Whereas if I can go for Pursuit, I have a very high chance of fainting from a much faster HP Fire (under the Sun).

---
Ike123 switched in Dialga.
Scizor used Quick Attack.
It's not very effective...
Dialga lost 9% of its health.
Scizor lost 10% of its health.

Scizor - 67% Health.
Dialga - 91% Health.
---

I took more damage from my own attack than Ike did with his impressive switch to Dialga. Once again he's got the advantage as my Scizor is also, completely walled by Dialga who resists Normal, Bug and Dark and can threaten with a 4x Super Effective Flamethrower boosted by the Sunlight. Seems as good as time as any to bring in my Blissey to at least 'absorb' the incoming attack.

---
Ike123 switched in Kyogre.
The sun faded.

Blissey - 96% Health.
Kyogre - 100% Health.
---

I'm not sure whether this Kyogre switch-in was to counter my Scizor or my Blissey but I am sure that even though Kyogre is a special sweeper and Blissey, a special wall, his is a SpecsOgre, which is more than capable of 2HKOing with a fully-powered Water Spout. I use Protect to scout just in case, get back to 100% Health and waste that precious PP of which there is only 8.

---
Blissey used Protect.
Blissey protected itself!
Kyogre used Water Spout.
Blissey protected itself!

Blissey - 100% Health.
Kyogre - 100% Health.

---

Water Spout it is. The only thing that can take a fully-powered Water Spout on my team besides Blissey is my Kyogre and Rayquaza. Though as i'm unsure of the speed that thing is running, i'm quite wary on bringing either in. I stay and choose to spread some Paralysis in Thunder Wave knowing that I can softboiled-stall till it gets becomes fully paralzyed, at which i'd strike with a Seismic Toss to neuter its power.

---
Kyogre used Water Spout.
Blissey lost 70% of its health.
Blissey used Thunder Wave.
Kyogre is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

Blissey - 36% Health.
Kyogre - 100% Health. Paralyzed.
---

Oh God! Oh God! Oh God! That is some SpecsOgre. Modest Max SpAtk obviously as my Blissey is Calm with 252 EVs in SpDef. If anything though, she's not Calm at all right now. Luckily I can softboiled up hoping for that blubbering whale to be fully paralyzed. Even if it isn't I can go on for a little while longer as well as Protect to at least get free Lefties recovery as well as PP Stalling.

---
Sc has left the room.

Blissey used Softboiled.
Blissey restored 50% of its health.
Kyogre used Water Spout.
Blissey lost 69% of its health.

Blissey - 22% Health.
---

I softboiled quickly, in hopes that his Kyogre would fully paralyze. After registering the damage dealt, I realize that even with the speed drop his Kyogre can do more damage to my Blissey than I can heal in a turn. I can either continue to Softboiled-Stall and hope for a fully-paralysis giving me time to Seismic Toss and lessen Water Spout's massive power OR I could just give in now, Seismic Toss, sacrifice my Blissey and dampen Kyogre's sweeping powers. Now, even though I do run a Team that does supply a lot of paralysis support, in recent matches (especially against Ike and Fudestiny), the hax has been very much against me (which, is actually the opposite for when i'm playing Maniac or Jeb, whom I hax the hell out of). But seeing as how this isn't Jeb or Maniac, I decide to put in as much damage as I can so Water Spout won't be as obsenely powerful.

---
Ike123 switched in Rayquaza.
Blissey used Seismic Toss.
Rayquaza lost 28% of its health.

Blissey - 28% Health.
Rayquaza- 72% Health.
---

It seems Ike doesn't want to roll the dice either. Obviously he was predicting another Softboiled in order to bring his SD Rayquaza in for free. A risky move nonetheless and while hitting it with a Seismic Toss may not seem as beneficial as say, nailing with a Thunder Wave or recovering my HP at least I didn't use Protect. From what I do know of SD Rayquaza's, I know they CAN be slightly bulkier than your average Dragon Dancer, and can be EV'd to survive an Ice Beam from Lugia, (quite beneficial if they're not running a Life Orb). As my team is slow, a Swords Dancing Rayquaza is one of the most pertinent, but luckily not the most common, threat that can steamroll through my team. Predicting either an Extremespeed or a Dragon Claw (Ike's usually too aggressive to let my Blissey live), the switch to Lugia is fairly easy. However if he outpredicts me, uses Swords Dance AND is carrying Outrage, my chances are looking pretty slim.

---
Rayquaza used Dragon Claw.
Lugia lost 25% of its health.

Lugia - 60% Health.
Rayquaza - 72% Health.
---

Phew, luckily that went off without a hitch. Being in a very advantageous position, I literally have the choice to do whatever I want. I could use any of Lugia's move (relatively riskless) or try to predict a switch and counter with my own switch-in. Weighing my options, I decide that overpredicting a switch-in is too much for now and I do not want my Lugia to be worn down, by constantly switching in and switching out. And as such, I choose to Roost, so that Lugia will be able to come in on Rayquaza many more times.

---
Ike123 switched in Kyogre.
Lugia used Roost.
Lugia restored 40% of its health.

Lugia - 60% Health.
Kyogre- 100% Health. Paralyzed.
---

Kyogre comes in, as it could on any of Lugia's moves. Luckily, my Lugia is at least at 100% health, but so is that Kyogre and he has the benefit of a 150BP move in Water Spout. Knowing that my Blissey is far too crippled to come in (though it could weather a Thunder of Ice Beam), I fear that it will simply unleash it's Water Spout and OHKO or 2HKO anything it can (that Lugia included). I switch into my Kyogre who can take such a Spouting, as I run HP and SpDef EVs, after which i'll threaten right back with a Thunder or recover off any damage with a Rest. A fully paralysis would be nice, but i'm quite sure I could survive anything it could throw at me (including a Thunder).

---
Train Man switched in Kyogre*.
Kyogre is paralysed! It can't move!

Kyogre* - 100% Health.
---

That was nice. Now thanks to that paralysis, even if he had chosen Water Spout, he doesn't have to worry about the restricting nature of his Choice Specs and reselect Thunder. I select my own Thunder hoping for another fully paralysis, and striking back with a 2HKO. Again, at 100% Health, I know that my Kyogre can survive his Thunder, regardless of his boosting item.

---
Kyogre* used Thunder.
It's super effective!
Kyogre lost 58% of its health.
Kyogre used Thunder.
It's super effective!
Kyogre* lost 96% of its health.

Kyogre* - 10% Health.
Kyogre - 42% Health. Paralyzed.
---

Woah. I thought it'd be close but not that close. With a meagre 10% Health, left the choice is simple to stay in and Thunder. I could take the risk and Rest up but his Thunder's could keep coming and I could Sleep Talk Rest. As a player who tries to minimise my own Risks and maximise the amount of "Hax" afflicted to the other side (through paralysis, mostly) I take the safe and steady of finishing it off with Thunder.

---
Kyogre used Thunder.
It's super effective!
Kyogre lost 42% of its health.
Ike123's Kyogre fainted.

Kyogre* - 16% Health.
Kyogre - 0% Health. Fainted.

6-5
---
Ike123 switched in Deoxys-f.
Deoxys-f used Grass Knot.
It's super effective!
Kyogre lost 17% of its health.
Train Man's Kyogre fainted.

Kyogre - 0% Health. Fainted.
Deoxys-f - 58% Health. Badly Poisoned.

5-5
---

While the death of his bloated Whale goes off without a hitch, my own is sent off to Davy Jones' Locker through the Grass Knot of his Deoxys-F. With a Kyogre at such little Health, and his offensive team not really letting up at all, I felt the safest move was to simply sacrifice now and allow a free switch-in to Scizor. While my Scizor would've easily scoffed at that 4x resisted Grass attack, I was unsure of whether Grass Knot or Thunder was on its way, or even something like an Ice Beam or Superpower as either would finish off my Kyogre. However, as his Deoxys-F is slowly sapped by the Poison from its bout with Groudon, I take the oppurtunity to bring in my perfect Deoxys-F killer (though, Prediction is required.)

---
Scizor used Quick Attack.
Deoxys-f lost 58% of its health.
Ike123's Deoxys-f fainted.
Scizor lost 10% of its health.

Scizor - 57% Health.
Deoxys-f - 0% Health. Fainted.

5-4
---

Pursuit or Quick Attack, I can see Ike123 asking himself as he stares down the sprite of Scizor... Am I feeling lucky? The answer, in short. No. Before I selected Quick Attack, I think back to Scizor's previous meeting with Deoxys-F and recall a sense of Deja vu'. While I went on the offensive for the straight-out Quick Attack, only to be met by Dialga's cold, hard exterior, Pursuit may be the better option. Especially as I could take an HP Fire due to the rain's effect on such attacks. Fortunately, I realize that everything I had just thought of, was resonating through Ike's mind. His Deoxys-F would better go down swinging than in to be clipped by Scizor's claws as it flees and thus, decides to stay in, contrary to his former defensive use Deoxys-F.

As a quick recap, as this Game has been moving very quickly recently, the Score is 5-4. Both Kyogres are out of the picture as well as his Deoxys-F. While my only special sweeper (Kyogre) is no more, I'm confident in taking down either Giratina or Lugia but as his Team is offensive in nature, his Groudon does seem a little troubling. I am aware that he is running a Supporting Groudon set, similiar if not exactly the same as my own and thus makes a strong counter to my Blissey, Lugia, Scizor and Rayquaza. I hastily make the decision that the fastest and most reliable way of taking out his Groudon is to hit it with a pair of Outrages from my Rayquaza. Even without the Boosts it is a 2HKO.

---
JohnR has entered the room.

Ike123 switched in Groudon.
Groudon used Stealth Rock.

Lugia - 100% Health.
Groudon - 100% Health.
---
JohnR has left the room.

Train Man switched in Rayquaza.
Pointed stones dug into Rayquaza.
Rayquaza lost 25% of its health.
Groudon used Toxic.
Groudon's attack missed!

Rayquaza - 75% Health.
Groudon - 100% Health.
---

As JohnR enters and exits the room at a very fast pace, I manage to get in my Rayquaza for free (albeit with a little Hax) and can enact my plan of 2HKOing his Groudon. Now I hope he has Fire Punch instead of Dragon Claw, knowing that there's very little that can switch directly into an Outrage. That Toxic missing, in hindsight was actually a very lucky break on my part, but in no way really affects the end-game of this match. With Stealth Rock up, my switches, no matter how well planned and played will never be quite as 'free' as i'll be taking 12% on top of a resisted or weakend attack.

---
Rayquaza used Outrage.
Groudon lost 62% of its health.
Rayquaza lost 10% of its health.
Groudon used Dragon Claw.
It's super effective!
Rayquaza lost 65% of its health.

Rayquaza - 1% Health.
Groudon - 38% Health.
---
Rayquaza used Outrage.
Groudon lost 45% of its health.
Ike123's Groudon fainted.
Rayquaza lost 0% of its health.
Train Man's Rayquaza fainted.

Rayquaza - 0% Health.
Groudon - 0% Health.

4-3
---

Another two-turn, Double knockout. Visibly shocked at his Groudon not being able to OHKO a Rayquaza who had already suffered at the weight of Stealth Rocks digging into its body as well as the suicidal effects of its Life Orb, I sit and have to decide on what to bring in now. We both have a free switch-in, though mine will be hampered by Stealth Rocks which will really injure everything. I switch to Blissey, half-knowing that it will serve as Death Fodder with it's low amount of remaining Hit Points compounded with the Swords Dance Rayquaza, Ike still has in his back pocket.

---
Ike123 switched in Dialga.
Pointed stones dug into Blissey.
Blissey used Protect.
Dialga used Aura Sphere.
Dialga's attack missed!

Blissey - 23% Health.
Dialga - 91% Health.
---

That very odd Dialga comes back in as I protect to scout his move as well as regaining some increasingly valuable Leftovers support. I realize that my chance for survival is very unlikely but as such, I take my chances and Softboiled hoping that he might predict a switch to Lugia and attempt to nail me with something like a soft, un-STAB'd and un-Super Effective Thunderbolt. Well, one can wish...

---
Dialga used Aura Sphere.
It's super effective!
Blissey lost 23% of its health.
Train Man's Blissey fainted.

Blissey - 0% Health. Fainted
Dialga - 91% Health.

3-3
---

Blissey bites the dust, as I finally find out that thing's entire moveset. Flamethrower, Aura Sphere, Thunder and Dragon Pulse. It's like a Special Dialga without the 'roid rage missing out on the Choice Specs and Draco Meteor. Viable, I guess. What else I know is that without the Steroids it's usually packing it will be reasonably weak and reasonably slow, two traits that my Groudon loves to prey on.

---
Train Man switched in Groudon.
Pointed stones dug into Groudon.
Groudon used Dragon Claw.
Dialga lost 25% of its health.
Dialga used Flamethrower.
Groudon lost 64% of its health.

Groudon - 36% Health.
Dialga - 55% Health.
---

Now before you all call me out on that ridiculously huge blunder, I overpredicted Ike thinking that he'd dodge the obvious Earthquake and go straight for his Rayquaza. Obviously he didn't and my Groudon gets burnt to a crisp for my mistake. I continue onwards with my poor judgement skills as he displays more reasons why he is ranked several spots ahead of me as well as our dominating difference in raw points.

---
Ike123 switched in Rayquaza.
Groudon used Earthquake.
It doesn't affect Rayquaza...

Groudon - 40% Health.
Rayquaza- 78% Health.
---

He's playing me for the fool that I am. From the frustration of letting that Dialga live the turn earlier, I select Earthquake, only to be met by his Rayquaza. I prefer to look upon these mistakes as not misplays by myself but as excellent predictions on his part. Yeah, that sorta stuff makes me feel better. I still don't really want my Groudon to die as it my fastest and most reliable way in killing that damned Dialga as I now certainly know that I can outspeed it. As such, I bring in my Lugia again, knowing that this time his attack will hurt a helluva lot more due to Stealth Rock eating away at my Lugia's Hit Points.

---
Lugia lost 26% of its health.

Lugia - 65% Health.
Rayquaza - 72% Health.
---

I try not to overpredict as much over the next few turns to a brilliant success. Much like the tides, Prediction in games against good players (I believe at least), wane and wax. As the game begins, the prediction is fast and furious as both sides try to outplay the either through unexpected moves and switching. However as the match goes on, to gain the Upper hand, one side will 'not' predict and will simply do an obvious and 'newby' move while the other person will overpredict and fall flat on his face. I feel that it is that point in the game and that it is his turn to trip up and for me to regain the upper hand.

---
Lugia lost 28% of its health.
Lugia used Roost.
Lugia restored 50% of its health.

Lugia - 93% Health.
Rayquaza - 72% Health.
---

Half-expecting another switch, I decide to take the 'obvious' route, not overpredict and send my Groudon back in, and simply Roost up to allow myself to fight another day. However to my surprise and chagrin, he too, stays in but he Dragon Claws hoping, as it seems to me, to wear down my Lugia for something important and something fearsome. As such, I follow my next turn with a Reflect, not knowing exactly what's going on.

---
Rayquaza used Swords Dance.
Rayquaza's attack was sharply raised.
Lugia used Reflect.
A barrier was formed!

Lugia - 99% Health.
Rayquaza - 72% Health.
---
Lugia lost 26% of its health.
Lugia used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Rayquaza lost 72% of its health.
Ike123's Rayquaza fainted.

Lugia - 79% Health.
Rayquaza - 0% Health. Fainted.

3-2
---

Despite his the extravagant Attack boost from Swords Dance, my Reflect negates the increase in damage and I finish him off with an (uneccessary) Critical Hit Ice Beam. Despite my Lugia's lack of SpAtk EVs and even with SpDef EVs on his part, that chunk of damage dealt by Blissey's Seismic Toss made sure that Lugia would have it within itself to finish off that Rayquaza. I'm not quite sure what he was predicting or thinking in that series of moves, as it seems to me at least he threw away his Rayquaza for nearly nothing.

Furthermore, I start to believe that his Team can no longer break Lugia or finds it very difficult to do so and thus was attempting to weaken it for his final sweeper. Due to the Sun's shining rays, Dialga's Thunders won't be nearly enough to take out Lugia and without the support of Leftovers, Lugia will be able to Ice Beam him to death (though Pressure and Bulky Defenses can be a bitch). And, remarkably, that's exactly what happens.

The following has been condensed for the sake of the viewing audience.

---
Lugia used Ice Beam.
Dialga lost 18% of its health.
Lugia lost 33% of its health.
---
Lugia used Roost.
Lugia restored 50% of its health.
Lugia lost 34% of its health.
---

Repeat these for 5-7 Turns, no Hax is done though Critical Hits (on either side), Burns or Freezes. Lugia alternates between Roosting off damage from Flamethrower (a 3HKO under the Sun) and Ice Beam (a 5-6HKO) until Dialga finally goes down.

---
Lugia - 46% Health.
Dialga - 0% Health. Fainted.

3-1
---

Now back to your schedueled (and desired) awesome match. I wonder in awe and hope that this Lugia with less than 50% Health can pull a win, without the aid of a Reflect. On its side, a Groudon and Scizor also below 50% Health, of the slow and bulky variety. I am fairly shocked as he reveals his last, a pokemon I have not seen much of in Ubers at all actually, as well as a Pokemon who's moveset is unknown to me as Ike has an fairly odd style of play. The Pokemon in question,

---
Ike123 switched in Latios.
---

From this point, I am fairly ecstatic. Knowing that unless that Lati twins carry Thunder, the two are basically bait for and Steels such as Metagross and Scizor and knowing that the Sun is shining down practically eliminating the chances for a Thunder to break through, I believe that with Scizor on my hands (as weakened as it is) it can certainly take a Thunderbolt or Dragon Pulse while still delivering an OHKO with U-Turn.

---
Latios used Dragon Pulse.
Lugia lost 42% of its health.
Lugia used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Latios lost 30% of its health.
Lugia's leftovers restored its health a little!
Lugia restored 6% of its health.

Lugia - 10% Health.
Latios - 70% Health.
---
Latios used Dragon Pulse.
Lugia lost 10% of its health.
Train Man's Lugia fainted.

Lugia - 0% Health. Fainted
Latios - 70% Health.

2-1
---

"Yes!" I say to myself as I continue to prematurely congratulate myself and celebrate. As it didn't take the time to Calm Mind up, my Scizor, despite being on 45% Health (from the Stealth Rocks) should easily be able to survive a neutral Thunderbolt (Latios' best chance against Steels) due to it's hefty investment in SpDef and HP. I bring in my Scizor to end the game. "GG" I type in the chat window, as I prepare to tie this game...

---
Pointed stones dug into Scizor.
Scizor lost 12% of its health.
Latios used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Scizor lost 45% of its health.
Train Man's Scizor fainted.

Scizor - 0% Health. Fainted
Latios - 70% Health.

1-1
---

Only for my hopes of winning to go down the drain. Now I knew his Deoxys-F was packing Hidden Power Fire for Steels such as Jirachi, Scizor and Metagross, so I made the safe assumption that his Latios wouldn't as the coverage would be largely redundent, especially on two reasonably similiar sweepers (I guess in the lone manners of their typing and the fact that attack on the Special side of the spectrum). However for it to all come crumbling down on the basis of Hidden Powers, a feat only possible on ShoddyBattle. I click 'Send' as my 'GG' flashes on screen, although with a tone far more sombre than what it originally meant.

---
Ike123: gg
Train Man: GG

Train Man switched in Groudon.
Groudon lost 6% of its health.

Ike123: damn that was close

Latios used Grass Knot.
It's super effective!
Groudon lost 36% of its health.
Train Man's Groudon fainted.
Ike123 wins!

Groudon - 0% Health. Fainted.
Latios - 70% Health.

0-1
---

And with that, the Game ends. The game was truly excellent with both sides going at it, prediction wars, mindgames with little Hax interspersed between the two of us (though, admittedly I think I had the majority of the good luck in that game). Anyway congratulations to Ike123 on being the current No. 1 on the Leaderboard.

PROPS:
* Every Pokemon played an important role. There was not one that was 'expendable' that entire match.
* Both Teams were using fairy non-standard sets and spreads from my RestTalking Kyogre (Which has a Spread, even I fail to comprehend) to his placement of HP Fire on nearly everything and everyone.
* Defensive Predictions, we both got what we wanted in, usually safely to boot.
* His offensive Multi-Weather Team squared off against my Defensive Multi-Weather Team allowing for a constant shift in battling conditions.
* Supporting Groudon, Trapping Scizor and Swords Dance Rayquaza! All sets, fairly exclusive to the Diamond/Pearl Generation.
* Down to the wire, a 1-0 Loss was the best I could've hoped for.

SLOPS:
* I'm quite certain that I had Roost/Ice Beam stalled with Latios, Like I did with Dialga, I might've had a chance at winning as I'm not entirely sure it was carrying Recover or Calm Mind. However I do think I was running low on Ice Beams PP due to Pressure so this may've been a non-issue entirely.
* Nothing else, really.

THANKS for reading all the way through and as such a special prize for those that love Ubers as well as the visuals of WiFi. Links to recent battles against Lyfsaho, featuring myself. I decided to not write Warstories about them due to a combination of sheer laziness and one being too slow and other the other too fast paced.

The First Match.
The Rematch.

And as even more of a treat, here's a Video of a rematch I had against TehWestStatMtl, whom I wrote my first archived Warstory against.

Comment on this Battle, either of the battles against Lfysaho, my rematch against TehWestStatMtl, my new Avatar or the fact that this is the first Warstory i've written in a long time without including (Train Man VS YadaYadaYada, a "Tier" Warstory).

Now with a plethora of things to comment on, you've got to pick at least one of them. Thanks again!

another great warstory, uber tier is really woderful since few viable pokes makes prediction shine so much the HP fire from ike's latios was really a surprise turn of event thanks to your writing skill.
Cant' wait for the next one, btw i would like to ask you something since i don't have any experience in uber metagame, i'll send you a pm soon if it's not a bother for you.

Wow. Just wow. The commentary was very insightful and kept me asorbed in the match. The videos top it off as well (even though I haven't watched them yet ;D). Great stuff.

Great story. Loved your writing and how you gave insight into what your thoughts were as the battle went on.

Great Warstory, very well written - I was also expecting you to take it 2-0 at the end there, surprising finish indeed.
And don't worry, I know both of our battles just didn't have the right fit for a warstory, that's what the videos are for.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Awesome story Train Man. Makes me want to get back into ubers. Your commentary was great, and seeing Hidden Power Fire against Scizor was a real surprise

Commentary like this makes me feel like warstories are so valuable to learning and developing better understanding of all levels of competitive play. Thanks for the story. Also, I've gotta say that Ike's team is pretty brilliant. I totally expected you to finish him off at the end but he held that final Ace close to his chest until the very end for the win. Good stuff on both sides.

Another great warstory from TrainMan, congrats and it's too bad that you lost but think of it as a learning experience:)

Crap, I hate Ubers. However, I like Train Man :). So I read it. Good writing, as we forever expect from you. Keep them coming dude. Perhaps a UU warstory? Hehe.

Wow, another awesome warstory - great comments, interesting teams, and a surprising finish. It was a really entertaining read, great job!

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Great warstory Train Man. I have faced both your team and Ike's team many times (the times I play the uber ladder it seems you are the only two on) so I know what a surprise both of your teams can be at times. Great battle, great commentary. Not to much else to say really.

Cant' wait for the next one, btw i would like to ask you something since i don't have any experience in uber metagame, i'll send you a pm soon if it's not a bother for you.
Thanks and feel free to PM me anytime.

Wow. Just wow. The commentary was very insightful and kept me asorbed in the match. The videos top it off as well (even though I haven't watched them yet ;D). Great stuff.
Thanks Puggy!

Great story. Loved your writing and how you gave insight into what your thoughts were as the battle went on.
Thanks Kumar!

Great Warstory, very well written - I was also expecting you to take it 2-0 at the end there, surprising finish indeed.
And don't worry, I know both of our battles just didn't have the right fit for a warstory, that's what the videos are for.
Thanks Lyf! I wanted to sneakily advertise our matches somewhere and I figured a Warstory would be the best place.
Awesome story Train Man. Makes me want to get back into ubers. Your commentary was great, and seeing Hidden Power Fire against Scizor was a real surprise
Thanks John, you definitely should get back into Ubers.

Very well written, I always enjoy reading your warstories. Keep up the good work!:toast:
Thanks, IamtheWalrus! I enjoy the Beatles as well as comments like those, haha.

Very entertaining, very easy to get into, and lots of surprises to keep things interesting. Excellent job.
Thanks, Age of Kings. By the way, when are you going to get around to writing another Warstory. I loved those.

Commentary like this makes me feel like warstories are so valuable to learning and developing better understanding of all levels of competitive play. Thanks for the story. Also, I've gotta say that Ike's team is pretty brilliant. I totally expected you to finish him off at the end but he held that final Ace close to his chest until the very end for the win. Good stuff on both sides.
Thanks. Yeah, I tried to build up in a twist-ending kind of way. Ike's been packing HP Fire on everything recently due to Scizor/Jirachi/Forry's growing popularity.

Another great warstory from TrainMan, congrats and it's too bad that you lost but think of it as a learning experience:)
Thanks Shelcario! And I treat every loss as a learning experience, haha.

Crap, I hate Ubers. However, I like Train Man :). So I read it. Good writing, as we forever expect from you. Keep them coming dude. Perhaps a UU warstory? Hehe.
Barely play UU, but I do have a Team setup on Shoddy. The Team and my knowledge of UU is pretty horrible though. Thanks for reading, da big blast!

Wow, another awesome warstory - great comments, interesting teams, and a surprising finish. It was a really entertaining read, great job!
Thanks Danyul!

Great warstory Train Man. I have faced both your team and Ike's team many times (the times I play the uber ladder it seems you are the only two on) so I know what a surprise both of your teams can be at times. Great battle, great commentary. Not to much else to say really.
Thanks Caelum! What's your Shoddy nick again? I should really remember things like that.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
You know Train Man, with all these comments, you should've five starred this thread.

But I'll do it for you

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I say the same thing every time but great warstory. another 5 star rating, also the videos were nice.

Awesome warstory, gives me an example to base my next one off of. I'm not familiar with ubers but this definitely revives my interest in learning the metagame...not to mention create and uber doubles team so we can rematch some time.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ahh, the man who inspires me to write warstories of my own. None other than the Train Man! This was awesome, I've never seen a match with such a surprise ending before! Heh, your commentary always makes mediocre battles look awesome, and awesome battles (such as this one) look outrageously cool. You're definitely a great author of these warstories, and hell, it wouldn't surprise me to see you write an actual short story someday.

I wonder, do you actually realize that you're pulling these mindgames during battle, or do you realize that after the battle when you're making the warstory?

That was awesome. Your writing was really good; it immersed me into the story deep enough that I could imagine how you must have felt when Scizor fainted. Good job!

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
That was a great warstory! I have to see if I can find my uber team again because our battles have always been good. Anyway that HP Fire was a pretty cool twist at the end, props to Ike for that and props to both of you for such an engaging match.

Wow, that was amazing. Thanks for such a great warstory, I really enjoyed it =D.

(Liked the youtube battles too, saw them recently ^^ )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)