SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet: The Teal Mask

be grateful—we got espeon with magic bounce in gen IV and this was much of the reason a whole ass move in baton pass has been outright and retroactively banned every single generation since

i'm much more excited about them giving espy draining kiss now (and only it as an eeveelution got it, aside from sylveon who's always had it). plus espy has recovery over munki

cm+draining kiss is near-broken on anything that gets it (spectrier, magearna, hatterene), espy doesn't need nasty plot, neither espy nor munki have quite the movepool to benefit from it (tera blast is a moot point)
that makes it worse its only viability is tied to a gimmick no one likes + that is banned in almost every gen

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey all!

We believe we are less than a few hours away from the release time of The Teal Mask part of the DLC for Scarlet and Violet! As many of you have seen from information elsewhere, it seems there are around 100 Pokémon being added to the game and a brand new location!

This thread is to discuss your findings and story related segments of The Teal Mask. If anyone finds out some interesting quirks of new abilities or mons post it here!

There will likely also be datamines before I wake up, so there might be a lot to discuss! I'll add these to the OP when I find them (unless an SS member wants to edit them in themselves).

This thread WILL contain spoilers! I look forward to meeting you all in Kitakami tomorrow!
Eek yeah I was looking at this thread hoping to find some interesting tidbits or experiences or ingame stuff in general but 95% of the posts seem to be “X has this move, HOW WILL THIS AFFECT COMPETITIVE” or just theorymoning competitive sets =/

What sets of teams do you guys have in mind because this new meta seems like it's going to be crazy and a lot of fun. I probably have like 7 teams that I want to try out with new and old mons so far and maybe more. I love mixing up returns mons and new mons. I believe the meta is going to be more enjoyable this time especially since now we have options to shut down set up sweepers. I'm so excited:)

somebody should put pillar men awaken over this

yea blitz is gonna be better than crash realistically, as for scale shot it's overhyped ngl. Like koraidon has had flame charge all gen... it's a good move sure but koraidon isn't being broken by it (it's natural traits already had that down)
Scale Shot is a STAB multihit move

Coronis

Impressively round
Oh and a question - just noticed on Serebii its listed all the new legends only at Level 70 for available capture - at least in my new file Ogerpon was Level 20. Are the others only available at Level 70? (guess would make sense since they’re technically post-game)

You know what Teal Mask does have? A hell of a lot of Rare Bones - I went and sold all mine after finishing the DLC and had like 200k
I sold every treasure i had a went from 1.2k to 1.2 mil

Oh and a question - just noticed on Serebii its listed all the new legends only at Level 70 for available capture - at least in my new file Ogerpon was Level 20. Are the others only available at Level 70? (guess would make sense since they’re technically post-game)
post game its level 70, pre post game its level 20
Gholdengo. It resists all their STABs or is flat out immune to them, can’t be Poisoned, and Make it Rain is super effective to the specially defensive one.
Okidogi with High Horsepower and Fire Punch

Last edited:
On the matter of story, having finished the plot, I need to find where Ogerpon is most useable and also what OU checks are best to bully the Loyal 3 if they show up there.

Coronis

Impressively round
Also last post before I go to bed - hope this wasn’t just me. Final battle vs Carmine I just chucked Ogerpon (MUST BE IN PARTY) in first spot with the 1 HP from catching and let her kill it. (dunno if a fainted one would’ve worked)

Eek yeah I was looking at this thread hoping to find some interesting tidbits or experiences or ingame stuff in general but 95% of the posts seem to be “X has this move, HOW WILL THIS AFFECT COMPETITIVE” or just theorymoning competitive sets =/
to be fair, there are a million new things with a million new moves, of course everyone's first reactions are going to be "holy shit, thing gets move"

Also last post before I go to bed - hope this wasn’t just me. Final battle vs Carmine I just chucked Ogerpon (MUST BE IN PARTY) in first spot with the 1 HP from catching and let her kill it. (dunno if a fainted one would’ve worked)
I probably will on the off hand chance I get the game and its dlc. Never liked restrictive final fights.

Yeah. And major kit buffs, as seen with the likes of Shiftry, Amamola, Empoleon, Torterra, and Gliscor are always exciting.
shiftry is actually a solid check to zapdos now because it's immune to heat wave and hurricane. imagine a world where zapdos has to start running u-turn because of fucking shiftry (and, for that matter, poltergeist brambleghast)

Last edited:
shiftry is actually a solid check to zapdos now because it's immune to heat wave and hurricane. imagine a world where zapdos has to start running u-turn because of fucking shiftry (and, for that matter, poltergeist brambleghast)
Zapdos already uses U-turn pretty often. Between using U-turn and Volt Switch, U-turn is almost always superior because nothing is immune to it.

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Zapdos already uses U-turn pretty often. Between using U-turn and Volt Switch, U-turn is almost always superior because nothing is immune to it.
On offensive Zapdos, Volt Switch is over thrice as strong, and doesn't proc Rocky Helmet damage & other contact effects. If you want to switch with certainty, it's plenty fair to do it normally rather than take up a whole move slot for that.
Not saying U-Turn is bad, of course, far from it, but Volt Switch is more appealing from my perspective.
(and yeah as the Smogon analysis from last page pointed, Volt Switch can also serve as coverage when you need it, pretty convenient for mons suffering from 4MSS - like Zapdos kinda does and really did when it had Defog :smogduck: )

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)