VGC RMT VGC 16

Hello!
So I was using a Gengar team that kinda sucked, so now I'm trying this new team that I hope to use. All reasoning in the new team.
The new team is;

Note: Not using it anymore

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 156 SpA / 100 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Perish Song
- Hypnosis
- Protect
- Sludge Bomb

Sableye @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Quash
- Confuse Ray
- Fake Out
- Gravity

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Calm Nature
- Skill Swap
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Toxic

Talonflame @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Natural Gift
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 156 Def / 252 SpA / 100 SpD
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

New and Improved

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Punch

Primal Groudon has a brilliant offensive presence. It is a very good counter to other Primals and Most other VGC powerhouses. For moves [1] Precipice Blades hits many bulky steel types for super effective damage and combined with STAB will most likely take out most that take neutral damage [2] Fire Punch is good as it compliments Groudons STAB, Sun and 180 Attack Stat. I chose it over Eruption since that can easily be checked with Wide Guard and other moves, plus this is slightly more powerful. Plus, there are more Specially defensive walls than defensive. [3] Rock Slide is a good counter to TalonFlame and hits a lot for flinches. Solid coverage. [4] Mainly a check to flying types and Primal Kyogre (does 45-55% depending on investment).

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic

I want to change psychic possibly, however for moves [1] Pretty self explanatory, get that sweep ready. [2] Also very self explanatory however it is also used for scouting and Stalling. Very useful. [3] Still very self explanatory, running over Moonblast to hit both. Combined with Fairy Aura and STAB, becomes a destructive force. [4] Want to change please!

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moody
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dark Void
- Wide Guard
- Spiky Shield
- Follow Me

Do not want to change, aside from Follow me possibly for Knock Off - which should I do? [1] Self explanatory - put it to sleep, send in your own monster, destroy them. Also good for stalling and works well with Sableye's Quash. [2] Since Eruption, Origin Pulse, Earthquake, Precipice Blades, etc are so common this is a good counter. Also stops Geo-Xerneas and both primals well. Essential. [3] Self Explanatory, a better protect, fantastic for scouting. Run over King's Shield for chip-damage. [4] should I run follow me or knock off? Edit: or a rock type move for thundurus

Sableye @ Sitrus Berry
Careful Nature
- Gravity
- Confuse Ray
- Quash
- Knock Off

[1] Gravity aids Primal Groudon (precipice blades), Smeargle (dark void), Gengar (hypnosis), etc. Also good for getting Flying types ready for Precipice Blades. [2] Kinda trolly, however useful. Combined with prankster and it shuts down physical attackers and some support sets. Gives more time as well. [3] Quash I've found essential for dealing with faster Pokemon. Stops Geo-Xerneas, Primals, Landorus and other quick sweepers to allow a free sleep from Smeargle or a free Precipice Blades or anything to demolish the opponent. DO NOT CHANGE NO MATTER WHAT! [4] Good for Taunt Thundurus, good against Mega Rayquaza too. Stops item reliant pokemon.

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect
- Perish Song

[1] Good for shutting down fast pokemon, works well with Sableye's gravity. Found it very useful. [2] to sure if I should replace with Shadow Ball, however there are a ton of Normal-types these days. [3] Good for scouting, pretty self explanatory. [4] Good for Perish-trapping, pretty much a free kill on 2 pokemon.

Thundurus
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Substitute
- Dark Pulse

[1] STAB and coverage for flying types. Hurts with its good SpAtk, even if it's neutral. [2] Shuts down Smeargle/Sableye leads and other supportive walls, very powerful. [3] Stops Status, especially sleep plus a good coat to hide under. [4] Coverage, also good for flinch stalling. If anything, change this.

So I want to improve the new team. I have found Smeargle, Sableye and Groudon are the power houses that are really good. All three compliment each other. The rest are also quite good (specifically Xerneas and Gengar) however they are not as good. The team itself I want to keep, however I simply want to change stuff like EV's, moves, items etc. Please help? Thanks in advance. Rcheez

Last edited:
Hey, the team looks fairly solid to me however there are some things that stand out to me. First off the team doesn't have any form of speed control (Quash could be considered a form of speed control, but it only affects its target and relys on the fact that a) Sableye is on the field and b) Sableye clicks Quash, which has an opportunity cost) and is overall fairly slow considering this. Some of the moveset choices don't really make sense either, which I'll get to now.

First off, Thunder Punch on Groudon doesn't make an awful lot of sense here, especially considering you removed Protect for it (a staple in any doubles format). After taking in to account STAB, differences in base power and spread damage Thunder Punch and Precipice blades do similar amounts of damage to Primal Kyogre, and against any Flying types you might click Thunder Punch against you have Rock Slide, or under Gravity you have Precipice Blades. Considering the fact that you only have 1 form of speed control (0 originally), I suggest making your Groudon max speed. Here's a possible set:

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 228 Atk / 4 Def / 20 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide
- Fire Punch
- Protect

The EVs prevent Groudon from being 2HKO'd from max sp.atk Mega Mence's Hyper voice almost 100% of the time.

Next up Xerneas. I really don't see why you replaced Moonblast with Psychic. The only matchups I see that improving are against things like Amoonguss and I don't think it is worth losing on the OHKOs that Moonblast can provide for. I would also recommend running a Timid nature, just to outspeed max speed base 90s as well as speed tie with opposing max speed Xerneas, making the matchup slightly better. You could also try investing some of the EVs from sp.atk to your defences to hit important defensive benchmarks for the team or test a bulkier Xerneas spread.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast

Here's also an example of a more bulky Xerneas that is still max speed, which avoids the OHKO from LO Mega Ray's Dragon Ascent and Modest Eruption from Groudon.
Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 4 HP / 44 Def / 156 SpA / 52 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Your Smeargle set looks pretty good, though there are more options to consider for it. I would also recommend investing in def rather than sp.def since it allows it survive a LO Extremespeed from Mega Ray. As for the moveslot options you should consider replacing Wide Guard with Fake Out to make setting up with Xerneas easier or Crafty Shield to improve opposing Smeargle matchups.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Wide Guard/Fake Out/Crafty Shield
- Spiky Shield
- Follow Me

I feel having Knock Off on Sableye doesn't really help you much. There really aren't too many item reliant Pokemon in the tier, and those which are (Xerneas for example) outspeed and either set up in your face or KO you. Most times where you could click Knock Off, you'd be better off clicking Gravity for when Groudon comes in. Sableye also has a plethora of other great supporting moves, such as Fake Out, Swagger, Feint, Taunt, Role Play, Magic Coat, Foul Play, Will-o-wisp etc. which all have their uses. I would suggest playing around with some of these options. I would also recommend replacing Confuse Ray with Swagger (or one of the other supporting moves I mentioned) since Swagger is far more punishing to supporting Pokemon and Special Attackers and has 100% accuracy under Gravity. I also recommend changing the item to a Mental Herb, making Sableye less susceptible to Prankster Taunt and freeing up the Sitrus Berry for another Member.

Here's a potential set that you could use:
Sableye @ Mental Herb
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Atk / 148 Def / 116 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Feint
- Gravity
- Quash
- Swagger

The EVs allow Sableye to survive the combination of a Scrappy Fake Out from Mega Kangaskhan and a LO Brave Bird from Talonflame.

Your Gengar looks interesting, and I like the idea of using Perish song as a win con after knocking out 2 of your opponents mons, though I'm not sure how easy it will be to stall out the last few turns of perish song without Intimidate and against strong restricted Pokemon, but that might just be because I don't have any experience using Perish Trap in this format. I would say that there are some cool options for the last slot here, such as HP Ice to trap and KO opposing Mega Mence and Hex as a strong STAB that takes advantage of Hypnosis.

Now for Thundurus. I feel that Thundurus would benefit a lot from a Sitrus Berry (mostly because Focus Sash has already been taken). I'm not too sure why you have Substitute on here tbh. Thundurus doesn't really care about most forms of status and most sleep inducers get shut down by a Prankster Taunt (assuming their partner doesn't Quick Guard or they are running a Mental Herb). And Dark Pulse kind of just seems slapped on. You definitely want to replace Substitute for Thunder Wave as a form of speed control (as well as a nice full para chance, which was the main draw to you using Dark Pulse). For the last slot you have quite a few options which I will list below. You probably also want to mess around with the EV spread ot make sure it can live certain important hits.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect/Role Play/Swagger/HP Ice

Hopefully I've helped :)

Hey, the team looks fairly solid to me however there are some things that stand out to me. First off the team doesn't have any form of speed control (Quash could be considered a form of speed control, but it only affects its target and relys on the fact that a) Sableye is on the field and b) Sableye clicks Quash, which has an opportunity cost) and is overall fairly slow considering this. Some of the moveset choices don't really make sense either, which I'll get to now.

First off, Thunder Punch on Groudon doesn't make an awful lot of sense here, especially considering you removed Protect for it (a staple in any doubles format). After taking in to account STAB, differences in base power and spread damage Thunder Punch and Precipice blades do similar amounts of damage to Primal Kyogre, and against any Flying types you might click Thunder Punch against you have Rock Slide, or under Gravity you have Precipice Blades. Considering the fact that you only have 1 form of speed control (0 originally), I suggest making your Groudon max speed. Here's a possible set:

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 228 Atk / 4 Def / 20 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide
- Fire Punch
- Protect

The EVs prevent Groudon from being 2HKO'd from max sp.atk Mega Mence's Hyper voice almost 100% of the time.

Next up Xerneas. I really don't see why you replaced Moonblast with Psychic. The only matchups I see that improving are against things like Amoonguss and I don't think it is worth losing on the OHKOs that Moonblast can provide for. I would also recommend running a Timid nature, just to outspeed max speed base 90s as well as speed tie with opposing max speed Xerneas, making the matchup slightly better. You could also try investing some of the EVs from sp.atk to your defences to hit important defensive benchmarks for the team or test a bulkier Xerneas spread.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast

Here's also an example of a more bulky Xerneas that is still max speed, which avoids the OHKO from LO Mega Ray's Dragon Ascent and Modest Eruption from Groudon.
Xerneas @ Power Herb
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Your Smeargle set looks pretty good, though there are more options to consider for it. I would also recommend investing in def rather than sp.def since it allows it survive a LO Extremespeed from Mega Ray. As for the moveslot options you should consider replacing Wide Guard with Fake Out to make setting up with Xerneas easier or Crafty Shield to improve opposing Smeargle matchups.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Wide Guard/Fake Out/Crafty Shield
- Spiky Shield
- Follow Me

I feel having Knock Off on Sableye doesn't really help you much. There really aren't too many item reliant Pokemon in the tier, and those which are (Xerneas for example) outspeed and either set up in your face or KO you. Most times where you could click Knock Off, you'd be better off clicking Gravity for when Groudon comes in. Sableye also has a plethora of other great supporting moves, such as Fake Out, Swagger, Feint, Taunt, Role Play, Magic Coat, Foul Play, Will-o-wisp etc. which all have their uses. I would suggest playing around with some of these options. I would also recommend replacing Confuse Ray with Swagger (or one of the other supporting moves I mentioned) since Swagger is far more punishing to supporting Pokemon and Special Attackers and has 100% accuracy under Gravity. I also recommend changing the item to a Mental Herb, making Sableye less susceptible to Prankster Taunt and freeing up the Sitrus Berry for another Member.

Here's a potential set that you could use:
Sableye @ Mental Herb
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Atk / 148 Def / 116 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Feint
- Gravity
- Quash
- Swagger

The EVs allow Sableye to survive the combination of a Scrappy Fake Out from Mega Kangaskhan and a LO Brave Bird from Talonflame.

Your Gengar looks interesting, and I like the idea of using Perish song as a win con after knocking out 2 of your opponents mons, though I'm not sure how easy it will be to stall out the last few turns of perish song without Intimidate and against strong restricted Pokemon, but that might just be because I don't have any experience using Perish Trap in this format. I would say that there are some cool options for the last slot here, such as HP Ice to trap and KO opposing Mega Mence and Hex as a strong STAB that takes advantage of Hypnosis.

Now for Thundurus. I feel that Thundurus would benefit a lot from a Sitrus Berry (mostly because Focus Sash has already been taken). I'm not too sure why you have Substitute on here tbh. Thundurus doesn't really care about most forms of status and most sleep inducers get shut down by a Prankster Taunt (assuming their partner doesn't Quick Guard or they are running a Mental Herb). And Dark Pulse kind of just seems slapped on. You definitely want to replace Substitute for Thunder Wave as a form of speed control (as well as a nice full para chance, which was the main draw to you using Dark Pulse). For the last slot you have quite a few options which I will list below. You probably also want to mess around with the EV spread ot make sure it can live certain important hits.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect/Role Play/Swagger/HP Ice

Hopefully I've helped :)
Thanks mate, I'm gonna try it out soon :) A question, my friend runs Focus Blast on Xerneas, would that also be a decent option? Also I deliberately ran min-speed on Groudon so that any Kyogre with speed investment (which is 99% of the time) does not get their primordial sea to work. Your thoughts? Finally, and I'm probably completely dumb for asking this, although isn't Safeguard a better crafty shield?

Last edited:
Edit: Hi RebornFX! This is the new team. I took the advice. Now Primal Groudon is not max-speed for a new Smeargle strategy I'm using with magic coat. Don't have time to explain it, however it works, and works well. Also I learnt that either Safeguard or Magic Coat is better than Crafty Shield. I decided Magic Coat as it bounces back Dark Void (hence Primal Groudon is slower by 1 exactly , so that the sleep hits smeargle first and bounces back to him so that the opponent will fall asleep, meaning it won't affect Groudon... if that terrible explanation makes sense. It works, okay. Trust me. ). Thanks for the advice again, works great. I found Taunt was best for Sableye however since I pretty much always use sleep I think Thunder Wave is a bit pointless on Thundurus. Ideas?
Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 228 Atk / 29 Def / 20 SpD / 227 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dark Void
- Wide Guard
- Spiky Shield
- Magic Coat

Sableye @ Mental Herb
Careful Nature
- Gravity
- Confuse Ray
- Quash
- Taunt

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect
- Perish Song

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Just to answer each point in order:
1. I'm really not sure about Focus Blast Xerneas. It really is too unreliable (having a 30% chance to deal no damage and die just isn't worth the risk when Moonblast would KO most of its targets) and similar to Psychic only hits harder on certain Pokemon (the only one that comes to mind is Ferrothorn), since a resisted Fairy Aura Boosted STAB Moonblast does very similar damage to a neutral Focus Blast. So basically I still think Moonblast is your best bet.
2. For teams that aren't running trick room, you're generally better off running a faster Groudon. While Kyogre requires its weather to be up to be able to reliably KO Groudon, Groudon doesn't necessarily and because of this I feel that having the speed and being able to potentially outspeed opposing Primals and other base 90s is worth more than guaranteeing your weather in a potential mirror match. As for the speed stat that you hit, it doesn't need to be below Smeargle's. Magic Coat has +4 priority, meaning (I believe) it goes before Fake Out so you are essentially guaranteed to move first.
3. As for Safeguard vs Magic Coat vs Crafty Shield, they all have their benefits and drawbacks. Safeguard is never run on Smeargle and I believe is only ever run on certain Prankster Pokemon. This is because Safeguard does not have priority, meaning if your opponent has something like Prankster T wave or wins a speed tie with their Smeargle and lands the Dark Void Safeguard won't have done anything. But Safeguard lasts multiple turns allowing your Pokemon to use other moves in the mean time. Magic Coat is interesting but it does have its downsides. First off it doesn't protect your partner Pokemon if Smeargle isn't targeted, meaning if you are trying to set up with Xerneas against a Pokemon with Prankster T wave Smeargle doesn't have any options to prevent it. However, Magic Coat does allow you to prevent Smeargle from being taunted while your partner deals with the opposing taunt user. So in general Crafty Shield is the more reliable option for preventing all forms of status for both of your Pokemon for that turn, but Magic Coat can be used if you find reflecting Dark Void more important. As for he moveset, I feel like dropping Follow Me was a big mistake. It removes any ability for Smeargle to help Xerneas set up other than relying on Dark Void hitting. Wide Guard is a much more niche move that, while can be nice in certain situations, provides less overall utility.
4. As for dropping T wave on thundy, honestly I don't think there's a better alternative. Thunder Wave is great for neutering a Pokemon permanently while Sleep is temporary and less reliable. You won't always have gravity up making Hypnosis a shaky move often times and sleep turns can be difficult to predict and play around at times.

On to the overall team, just looking at the Groudon spread I'm not too sure you understand how EVs work. You could achieve the same exact stats using this investment EVs: 4 HP / 228 Atk / 28 Def / 20 SpD / 220 Spe while having 8 EVs left over. All of the values should be divisible by 4 and Showdown does this automatically for you. I'm also not sure what benchmarks you're trying to hit with this spread, if any at all. Running a Groudon that underspeeds Smeargle by one point seems strange since it allows opposing Smeargle to put Groudon to sleep before it moves and as I said above Magic Coat has priority. As I've also said above, I feel Follow Me is more valuable than Wide Guard and is a staple on Sash Smeargle. I'm not really sure what benchmarks your Sableye set hits either, and as I said before I would recommend trying to EV to hit important benchmarks on Thundurus.

Just to answer each point in order:
1. I'm really not sure about Focus Blast Xerneas. It really is too unreliable (having a 30% chance to deal no damage and die just isn't worth the risk when Moonblast would KO most of its targets) and similar to Psychic only hits harder on certain Pokemon (the only one that comes to mind is Ferrothorn), since a resisted Fairy Aura Boosted STAB Moonblast does very similar damage to a neutral Focus Blast. So basically I still think Moonblast is your best bet.
2. For teams that aren't running trick room, you're generally better off running a faster Groudon. While Kyogre requires its weather to be up to be able to reliably KO Groudon, Groudon doesn't necessarily and because of this I feel that having the speed and being able to potentially outspeed opposing Primals and other base 90s is worth more than guaranteeing your weather in a potential mirror match. As for the speed stat that you hit, it doesn't need to be below Smeargle's. Magic Coat has +4 priority, meaning (I believe) it goes before Fake Out so you are essentially guaranteed to move first.
3. As for Safeguard vs Magic Coat vs Crafty Shield, they all have their benefits and drawbacks. Safeguard is never run on Smeargle and I believe is only ever run on certain Prankster Pokemon. This is because Safeguard does not have priority, meaning if your opponent has something like Prankster T wave or wins a speed tie with their Smeargle and lands the Dark Void Safeguard won't have done anything. But Safeguard lasts multiple turns allowing your Pokemon to use other moves in the mean time. Magic Coat is interesting but it does have its downsides. First off it doesn't protect your partner Pokemon if Smeargle isn't targeted, meaning if you are trying to set up with Xerneas against a Pokemon with Prankster T wave Smeargle doesn't have any options to prevent it. However, Magic Coat does allow you to prevent Smeargle from being taunted while your partner deals with the opposing taunt user. So in general Crafty Shield is the more reliable option for preventing all forms of status for both of your Pokemon for that turn, but Magic Coat can be used if you find reflecting Dark Void more important. As for he moveset, I feel like dropping Follow Me was a big mistake. It removes any ability for Smeargle to help Xerneas set up other than relying on Dark Void hitting. Wide Guard is a much more niche move that, while can be nice in certain situations, provides less overall utility.
4. As for dropping T wave on thundy, honestly I don't think there's a better alternative. Thunder Wave is great for neutering a Pokemon permanently while Sleep is temporary and less reliable. You won't always have gravity up making Hypnosis a shaky move often times and sleep turns can be difficult to predict and play around at times.

On to the overall team, just looking at the Groudon spread I'm not too sure you understand how EVs work. You could achieve the same exact stats using this investment EVs: 4 HP / 228 Atk / 28 Def / 20 SpD / 220 Spe while having 8 EVs left over. All of the values should be divisible by 4 and Showdown does this automatically for you. I'm also not sure what benchmarks you're trying to hit with this spread, if any at all. Running a Groudon that underspeeds Smeargle by one point seems strange since it allows opposing Smeargle to put Groudon to sleep before it moves and as I said above Magic Coat has priority. As I've also said above, I feel Follow Me is more valuable than Wide Guard and is a staple on Sash Smeargle. I'm not really sure what benchmarks your Sableye set hits either, and as I said before I would recommend trying to EV to hit important benchmarks on Thundurus.
The thought behind the magic coat smeargle is that dark void hits the faster pokemon, therefore it will hit the smeargle first with magic coat that then bounces back and puts itself to sleep. Since it is now asleep, it cannot put Groudon or whoever else to sleep, meaning I avoid the sleep and essentially deflect it back at him

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Def EVs aren't particularly useful on Primal Groudon since it already has a great Def stat; they're better put into somewhere else. Outspeed other Primal Groudons is very important, so I changed the Groudon to maximum Speed. I do want to note that Speed ties occur quite frequently with max Speed Primal Groudon so you'll ideally want Speed control of some kind in order to move first. Thunder Punch is not a very good move on Primal Groudon because both it and Precipice Blades 2HKO Primal Kyogres (generally speaking) and since Precipice Blades is also hitting the other Pokemon, generally you'll want to use Precipice Blades. You also have Rock Slide or even Fire Punch (if you didn't run Rock Slide, which many don't) for reliable damage onto various Flying Types. I ran Protect on it because it is vital in keeping Primal Groudon alive since it will do a big chunk of your damage. In VGC (and I think Doubles in general?) Protect is widely use much more than in Singles for scenarios such as eliminating the threat to the Protecting Pokemon so it can proceed to do its role without needing to switch (which in VGC is harder to do with less Pokemon available to switch to in a battle).

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast

I changed the nature to Timid so that you'd be outspeed/speed tying other Xerneas. You could also look for a bulky Xerneas spread and it would work too, but I chose a max speed variant for simplicity's sake here. I find max speed Xerneas more useful when I'm facing another Xerneas so that I can hit it first. Moonblast seems redundant with Dazzling Gleam also on the moveset, but it deals more damage even to things that resist it than Psychic. For example:
252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 48-57 (31.3 - 37.2%) -- 86.3% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Xerneas Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 46-55 (30 - 35.9%) -- 38.6% chance to 3HKO
These calculations are not relevant to the metagame, I just chose a Pokemon that resisted Fairy but not Psychic to use as an example.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dark Void
- Wide Guard
- Spiky Shield
- Follow Me

These EVs allow it to survive Jolly Mega Kangaskhan's Power-Up-Punch 100% of the time.
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Power-Up Punch vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Smeargle: 108-130 (82.4 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-->
/

Honestly I would advise you to drop Sableye all together. Gravity seems like it could lose you as many games as it wins. Instead I would put on another Mega Pokemon in case you run into a team that gives Mega Gengar a hard time. For example, Yveltal teams; even with a Xerneas on the team people may still bring Yveltal teams as a lot of them have answers to deal with opposing Xerneas. The Pokemon I'd recommend is Mega Kangaskhan for Fake Out support and strong consistent damage or Mega Salamence for its Intimidate, being immune to Ground type attacks (which this team has issues with), and having an access to Tailwind for speed control.

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite

EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect
- Disable

Icy Wind provides very valuable Speed control that this team lacks. I put it over Hypnosis because I took off Sableye. A problem I see surfacing is that in order for Hypnosis Mega Gengar to work you'd have to bring Sableye + Mega Gengar which are both very frail and easily knocked out. I'm aware that you could turn 1 Protect and Gravity with Sableye then Hypnosis the next turn, though that leaves up opportunities for the other mon to knock out Mega Gengar even with Quash ready on Sableye when Mega Gengar goes to Hypnosis the first Pokemon. Plus there are a lot of Taunt users and Lum Berry users that would become very problematic. I put Disable over Perish Song because like I mentioned, the Mega Sableye is very frail and easily knocked out. As a result it could be knocked out when the Perish Song is active and the opponent's Pokemon could just switch out to prevent being knocked out. Finally I want to say that the EV spread can probably be optimized to include a little bulk into it though I've had very little experience with Mega Gengar and wouldn't be too familiar with what I'm doing on its spreads.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 4 SpA / 156 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

The spread is one that a friend of mine gave me. The Def EVs make Double-Edge a 3HKO from Mega Salamence. 68 Spe EVs were invested to hit 140 Speed, which is one above Smeargle's max Speed of 139. The remaining EVs were put into SpD for bulk, with a remainder of 4 being left over for SpA. You don't need Subsitute to prevent Status because that's what Taunt does for you essentially. Thunder Wave provides more Speed control that the team lacks, and Protect is important to help keep Thundurus alive.

Bright Size to answer your question about a bulkier gengar spread, 12 HP / 96 Def / 172 SpA / 228 Spe works.

it basically outspeeds weavile and jolly talonflame so that it can't taunt you. (it also lives adamant talonflame's brave bird)

252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 12 HP / 96 Def Gengar: 114-136 (83.2 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)