Relicanth (QC 3/3)

Well he never shows up as my designated "lead", but more often than not that's what I use him for. And his main role is to set up SR and then do as much damage as possible before being taken out. As is evidenced by the battle, he can do a lot of damage to unprepared teams with 309 atk and STAB Head Smashes running rampant. People still want a Pokemon that they can lead with most of the time and set up SR reliably. He does both well. I'm just giving my two cents :)
The set works well, but I am not convinced it deserves a write up over the other sets. I stay away from focus sashes in general and dedicated lead pokemon with a notable exception to Smeargle. Saying that it doesn't have to lead given it has a focus sash is another issue I have.

In other thoughts I have slightly updated the analysis skeleton and am awaiting the new year =).

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
From my experience, Relicanth makes a pretty damn good Rain-setup pokemon. Unlike its competition in Lanturn, Lapras etc, it's VERY physically defensive and can hit nuisances like Shedinja with Stone Edge, whilst also providing Stealth Rock support. I've used something like a 252 Atk / 252 Spe Adamant spread with Stealth Rock / Rain Dance / Waterfall / Stone Edge and Swift Swim. If you'd prefer to use Head Smash and are willing to sacrifice utility against offensive pokemon, use Rock Head and more defensive EVs.

From my experience, Relicanth makes a pretty damn good Rain-setup pokemon. Unlike its competition in Lanturn, Lapras etc, it's VERY physically defensive and can hit nuisances like Shedinja with Stone Edge, whilst also providing Stealth Rock support. I've used something like a 252 Atk / 252 Spe Adamant spread with Stealth Rock / Rain Dance / Waterfall / Stone Edge and Swift Swim. If you'd prefer to use Head Smash and are willing to sacrifice utility against offensive pokemon, use Rock Head and more defensive EVs.
I like the set you provided, but I personally find that Relicanth doesn't hit hard enough for the *usually* offensive nature of Swift Swim without at least a Life Orb and optionally Head Smash.

On the set up aspect, Water typing and a 4 times Grass weakness isn't good for a rain setter. Rain Dance teams often rely upon the setters for their ability to tank certain types of moves such as Grass and Electric attacks. The fact that Relicanth doesn't have access to U-turn or Volt Switch is not helpful either.

I have been testing a Rain Dance set-up / sweeper combination set lately:

name: Rain Dance
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Head Smash
move 4: Earthquake
item: Life Orb
ability: Swift swim
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

It works by breaking down the counters a team has to water type attacks. When the opponent switches in the bulky water type or whatever you demolish it with Head Smash. Not many NU pokemon can take a combined Rain Dance boosted Life Orb STAB Waterfall and STAB Head Smash (or many pokemon at all for that matter).

I also find that even after two attacks worth of Life Orb recoil and the Head Smash recoil you still usually have enough HP and speed to hit one more pokemon. Jolly 2+ Relicanth outspeeds 1+ Rotom-A and below too so there is not much that can revenge kill it in NU either.

Having said that you can easily combine the two sets:

name: Rain Dance
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Head Smash / Stone Edge
move 4: Earthquake / Stealth Rock
item: Life Orb / Damp Rock / Leftovers
ability: Swift swim
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

But the Slashitis is bad =0.

Perhaps I could just mention Rain Dance over Rock Polish in the AC of that set.

I'd put Zen Headbutt over Double Edge on the Choice Band set.

It gives super effective coverage on Fighting types who resist the Head Smash and can force him out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)