SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

It is important to note that Grimmsnarl is a fully evolved Pokemon, hence is bound to have EVs in several stats. Base stats therefore might be lower.
Based on prior Pokémon I would expect Grimmsnarl and Hatterene to hover around 490-520 BST. Barring early-game mons (the bugs, birds, and Jumpluff/Ludicolo/Shiftry), the lowest BST for a 3-stage line introduced in the same generation is 490: Vileplume + Victreebel as well Gothitelle + Reuniclus. I'm excluding cross-generation lines since Pokémon that received babies tend to have lower stats for their final evolution. Pokémon like Chandelure, Klinklang, and Luxray hover around the 520 end, and beyond that are Pokémon that recieved a cross-generational evolution and tend to be higher-statted.

How do you all feel about the potential place of Dragon-types in the SWSH meta? Do you think that we may see Gen 4/Gen 5 levels of dominance from the type?

For reference, the returning Dragons are: Noivern, Flygon, Haxorus, Drampa, Turtonator, Hydreigon, Goodra, Kommo-o, and Silvally-Dragon

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
How do you all feel about the potential place of Dragon-types in the SWSH meta? Do you think that we may see Gen 4/Gen 5 levels of dominance from the type?

For reference, the returning Dragons are: Noivern, Flygon, Haxorus, Drampa, Turtonator, Hydreigon, Goodra, Kommo-o, and Silvally-Dragon
SWSH Speculatory player here! Dragons have found a decent foothold in the SWSH meta as of now. Kommo-o's the best overall with high set versatility between Mixed Life Orb, Dragon Dance and Stealth Rock sets. Close behind is Hydreigon who can run some scary Scarf sets. There are also several niche dragons, like TR abuser Drampa, AV Goodra and Haxorus. Overall, they're pretty good, albeit not quite Gen 5 level of dominance.

SWSH Speculatory player here! Dragons have found a decent foothold in the SWSH meta as of now. Kommo-o's the best overall with high set versatility between Mixed Life Orb, Dragon Dance and Stealth Rock sets. Close behind is Hydreigon who can run some scary Scarf sets. There are also several niche dragons, like TR abuser Drampa, AV Goodra and Haxorus. Overall, they're pretty good, albeit not quite Gen 5 level of dominance.
I've read on reddit that LO Hydregion may be one of the dominant sets to break stall and if so then hail hydra

Where can I play this meta?

I really do fear for the New mons' role in the National OU meta. With all Pokemon available there they may get completely washed if their stats/abilities/movepools aren't up to par

EDIT: I can't imagine any of these new mons being as polarizing as the Tapus/UBs when they debuted

I really do fear for the New mons' role in the National OU meta. With all Pokemon available there they may get completely washed if their stats/abilities/movepools aren't up to par
So basically exactly what happen to almost every single non-legendary pokemon from last 2 gens? ;)
With "national" OU being dominated so much by legendaries and megas, "normal" pokemons have more and more issues finding place in it.
And with UU always tending to resemble previous gen OU, by this point it shouldn't surprise you that non-legendary new pokemon don't find place in high tiers.

(and yes, even though they might not be defined as such, UBs share large amount of the traits legendaryes do)

I'm hoping Dragapault will see competitive play.

One thing I'm worried about: This generation of competetive play is marked by a massive power sink. If Pokemon ever approaches former levels of power again, the new mons introduced in Gen 8 (who were balanced with this power sink in mind) may not adapt the old power curves.
Yeah, I feel like because Nintendo has created this game as a lot more battling based then the previous games, then a majority of the Pokémon won’t be as “powerful” but all practically equal with a few differences. They (I think) would have practically the same damage ratio as two basic route one Pokémon fighting. I’m not sure if I was able to convey my thoughts appropriately for anyone to understand. But... :psywoke:

Yeah, I feel like because Nintendo has created this game as a lot more battling based then the previous games, then a majority of the Pokémon won’t be as “powerful” but all practically equal with a few differences. They (I think) would have practically the same damage ratio as two basic route one Pokémon fighting. I’m not sure if I was able to convey my thoughts appropriately for anyone to understand. But... :psywoke:
Yeah, you're saying the overall power level is scaled back to the point that the battling is more back and forth in nature. NOT like the hyper-fast threat managment in USUM where you're at risk of OHKO's and 2HKO's all the time.

So basically exactly what happen to almost every single non-legendary pokemon from last 2 gens? ;)
With "national" OU being dominated so much by legendaries and megas, "normal" pokemons have more and more issues finding place in it.
And with UU always tending to resemble previous gen OU, by this point it shouldn't surprise you that non-legendary new pokemon don't find place in high tiers.

(and yes, even though they might not be defined as such, UBs share large amount of the traits legendaryes do)
This is a big reason why I'm partly glad most of the existing legendaries are gone. I'd have liked a couple more uber tier ones (particularly ones which were overshadowed in their generation of introduction, like Reshiram) to create my favourite, but in general I'm looking forward to less legendaries that are clearly designed to be best-in-niche at what they do dominating OU. Somehow it annoys me more when they're supposed to be balanced.

As the two posts above me pointed out, it'll also be nice to have a meta that isn't full of threats which have to be dealt with *before* they appear.

With Dexit, tons of niches have suddenly found themselves without their principal representatives. While some have a successor of known viability able to take up the reins (e.g. Hippowdon for bulky ground, Hydreigon for wallbreaker), others have been effectively removed (the Fire type in general).

As such, which roles will everybody be keeping in mind when evaluating the new pokemon after datamining? What roles will we be looking to the Gen 8s to fill the most?

For my money, I'd say we need new rain abusers. Every commonly seen Swift Swim, Hurricane, and Thunder pokemon has been removed- but Pelipper has not. This keeps the door open for Rain as an archetype, but we need pokemon who can make the most of it. Gyarados is a good start, but we need more.

Also, offensive Fairies/Dark counters. Dark type has been relatively untouched in the snap, and is therefore likely to be exceedingly common in the early meta as people default to the remaining pokemon of known strength and role. Bisharp, Weavile, Mandibuzz, Hydreigon, and of course Tyranitar have all made it. Remaining common resists/checks: Kommo-o and... Sylveon, maybe? Again, it's a start, but it's going to be needing help. There are plenty of Fighting and Fairy types this gen, so hopefully some of them will have what it takes.

I know that there is this thing in Japan where the three numbers form a word. Does anyone here know enough Japanese to know what the numbers of everyone here mean?
For a lot of it, you have to know the context and back-infer because without context there are literally hundreds of ways to read the numbers
Kabu (187) = hibana (spark)
Opal (910) = Most likely ones are kiju (a respectful/celebrative way to refer to someone of 77 y/o) or kijo (woman of high status)
Melony (361) = samui (cold)
Piers (061) = Doesn't pronounce like it, but from his signature of 061, I think this one is おし (oshi). He seems to be a singer and oshi often refers to support of singers/idols
Raihan (241) = tsuyoi (strong)
Bede (908) = impossible to tell because no context of the character, possibly kureba (why not just give to me? (rhetorical)) since he's sponsored, or kiriha which is another way you can pronounce seppa (切羽), a part of a sword.
Marnie (960) = kuromaru (black circle), kumori (cloudy)
Hop (189) = hiyaku (leap)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)