SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I have a thought nagging at me. It feels like wish listing or just a crazy fan theory but it's still something I want bring up, even if I'm shot down for it. I don't get why they would give Zacain and Zamazanta powered down forms unless they want to make them legal in tournaments and the Battle Tower variant. (The items that turn them into Hero Mode would probably be banned, of course.) If I'm not completely insane, then wouldn't that mean the powered down forms could have a 600 BST? Can someone tell me how crazy I am for thinking this? I'm crazy aren't I?

Oh well, while people (including myself) think I'm insane I might as well scream like I'm insane.
What does it take for a man to get a datamine around these parts
Around ten days of patience, I'd say.
No! It can't be ten days! The data miners know a guy! Right? Right! Even if we have to wait until release, we only have to wait for the earliest time zone's midnight, so that's... *does math* About eight an a half days from now! Hmm... can't wait that either... Data miners must know a guy, right? Right? RIGHT!

B-but that would mean *gasp* GF is trying to balance the meta like they have been saying for several months?!
Gf can say whatever they want. I want my fuckin Mega Charizard X and my Tapu Koko back.

Just because the power curve is lower doesnt necessarily mean the meta is balanced. Absolute power levels should never be conflated with balance. Who knows, we may see even more lop sided threats in this meta than we saw in the last. Maybe GF has good intentions, but that doesnt mean all these changes will lead to a better result.

I have a thought nagging at me. It feels like wish listing or just a crazy fan theory but it's still something I want bring up, even if I'm shot down for it. I don't get why they would give Zacain and Zamazanta powered down forms unless they want to make them legal in tournaments and the Battle Tower variant. (The items that turn them into Hero Mode would probably be banned, of course.) If I'm not completely insane, then wouldn't that mean the powered down forms could have a 600 BST? Can someone tell me how crazy I am for thinking this? I'm crazy aren't I?
That possibility had occurred to me, what with steel not always being a beneficial typing. It would be a bit lame if the standard form was actually better because of no item restriction.

They would need fairly weak stats to not be banished to Ubers. Zacian especially, with its super-Download and mono-Fairy typing -- assuming it gets that ability in powered down mode.

Oh well, while people (including myself) think I'm insane I might as well scream like I'm insane.
No! It can't be ten days! The data miners know a guy! Right? Right! Even if we have to wait until release, we only have to wait for the earliest time zone's midnight, so that's... *does math* About eight an a half days from now! Hmm... can't wait that either... Data miners must know a guy, right? Right? RIGHT!
I highly doubt it. For cartridge formats, its the status, not the stats that matter. Both Zacian and Zamazenta are Restricted Legendaries so they are banned. If it were stats, Zygarde, Cosmog, and Cosmoem would not be banned in VGC.

I highly doubt it. For cartridge formats, its the status, not the stats that matter. Both Zacian and Zamazenta are Restricted Legendaries so they are banned. If it were stats, Zygarde, Cosmog, and Cosmoem would not be banned in VGC.
There is precedent, sort of, in Soul Dew before the nerf. Though that was on the basis of it being event exclusive, with the singular exception of BW2, and for a good portion of that time it simply didn't function instead of being banned.

Gf can say whatever they want. I want my fuckin Mega Charizard X and my Tapu Koko back.

Just because the power curve is lower doesnt necessarily mean the meta is balanced. Absolute power levels should never be conflated with balance. Who knows, we may see even more lop sided threats in this meta than we saw in the last. Maybe GF has good intentions, but that doesnt mean all these changes will lead to a better result.
Fair enough. I for one am very excited to see what happens next. One of the funnest things about the lgpe meta was seeing how everyone operated in a much different meta, seeing old pokemon being viable and even being able to play with your favorites.

My gut says they have a "powered down" form for story reasons, giving them a "wow!" moment when they find the magic McGuffin and power up at the climax. There's no real reason why every box legendary since Kyurem (and Giratina kinda) has had a "meh" form that becomes the actual form: Kyurem -> Kyurem B/W, blue Xerneas -> rainbow Xerneas, cocoon Yveltal -> birdy Yveltal, Zygarde cell -> Zygarde 100%, Kyogre/Groudon -> Primal Kyogre/Groudon, Rayquaza -> Mega Rayquaza, Cosmog -> Solgaleo/Lunala, Necrozma -> Ultra Necrozma... and now injured Zacian/Zamazenta -> weapon-wielding Zacian/Zamazenta. And Eternatus -> G-Eternatus.

Pokémon is nothing if not incapable of designing a plot that doesn't climax with the box legendary changing forms into what it actually looks like on the cover.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Leaker is detailing story leaks on 4chan atm. If anyone wants to compile those, go right ahead.

Zamazenta's ability gives defense boost on battle start

Zacian's ability gives attack boost on battle start

Zamazenta's pure typed form is named Hero of Many Battles normally, and the added Steel-typed form is named Crowned Shield when holding the Rusted Shield item.
Those sound like pretty potent Abilities, at least for Zacian. Though is it a +1 (or hopefully more) to their preferred stat or does the Ability itself just give like a 25/50% increase?

Hero of Many Battles sounds like what what Zacian would be called, or rather both of them.

They do need to hold an item to transform. Hopefully the items themselves give an additional effect aside the form change.

Oh, wow, if that dark green are is what encompasses the Wild Area it's much smaller then I thought it would be. That's very disappointing, I don't get why the entire area between Motostoke and the Dragon Castle City isn't all Wild Area.

Also it looks like the Wild Area may be split into smaller sections indicated by the white dotted lines?

If we follow the Route numbers they tell an interesting story: after Motostoke we actually go the other way around to the left (and this is actually where that gem mine location is), go to Milo's Gym, then across the bridge to Nessa's, and then back to Motostoke where I guess we'll then be allowed to go into the upper section of the Wild Area.
We then enter Dragon Castle City where we go left first to face Bea/Allister's Gym, probably further up to Mushroom City, then we backtrack to Dragon Castle City.
We then take care of the right side, going through ruins up to the Frozen Palace and its Gym where we then go back down through the ice flows to loop back around and back to Dragon Palace City.
We finally take the train up to Wyndon.

Now I'm hoping I'm wrong and they let you decide whether (1) to face Milo or Nessa after Motostoke and (2) what side to knock out when you reach the Dragon Castle City.

I wonder if any of the new 'mons will have weather abilities or even the auto-terrains. Will terrains still be useful without auto-setters?
Well we got the Max Moves.

Copperajah: Eh, not so sure about this one. If it's supposed to be based on something it's loss on me. Though does show a problem with Gigantamax that unless the Pokemon is tall they need to radically change the Pokemon's design. A quadruped that Copperajah was originally is now made a biped and honestly just looks dumb. Why is it all rectangular now? And the bigger trunk just makes it look ridiculous.

Duraludon: It... becomes a building? Can... can you enter inside of it? If not, WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE A BUILDING!? Like at the very least make it a tower/viewing platform which you could theoretically stand on top of, but this makes it look like you can go inside it. GF, THIS is why people say you're running out of ideas, because of stupid designs like this.

wait, can we choose our own number?
Yeah, it's one of the customization features they proudly touted.

Oh, so that blurry image was a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl... then why make the image blurry? I don't get leakers...

Eitherway, it's just a tall Grimmsnarl with hair not covering its entire body except its face, not really that interesting.

Stats are kind of what I expected something that looked like Grimmsnarl to be. And its Ability is always a good Ability to have.

WOOT! A decent Physical Fairy-type move! Man won't Xerneas, Tapu Koko, and Tapu Bulu be happy... oh, wait... Well, there's other Physical Fairy-types like Snubbul family and Marill family... oh, wait...

Alright, not to be entirely negative we still got Mawile and Mimikyu plus any of the new Fairy-types. And who knows what other non-Fairy-types may also get it to provide not only some coverage but also a rather handy effect... it's only going to a handful of Fairy-type Pokemon, isn't it?
[/QUOTE]

... GF, did you forget that these Fossil Pokemon aren't the actual fossil Pokemon but monstrosity mash-ups made by people combining two together? Arctozolt can't have lived on prehistoric seashores or gone extinct because it moved slowly, and Arctovish can't have gone extinct due to breathing differences.

"Go, Dracovish!
*Dracovish has fainted due to being unable to breathe*
Welp, GG."

these dex entires are wack lol. does this confirm yet that dex entries dont correlate to gameplay?
To be fair this should be the case for most of the fish Pokemon, they shouldn't even be able to do more than flop around on land.

Dracozolt:
HP: 85-89
Atk:95-99
Def: 90-94
Sp.Atk: 80-84
Sp.Def 70-74
Speed: 60-64

Arctozolt:
HP:90-94
Atk: 100-104
Def: 75-79
Sp.Atk:80-84
Spdef: 80-84
Speed: 50-54

Dracovish:
HP: 90-94
Atk: 95-99
Def: 100-104
Sp.Atk: 55-59
Sp.Def 70-74
Speed: 75-79

Arctovish:
HP: 85-89
Atk: 90-94
Def: 100-104
Sp.Atk 75-79
Sp.Def: 90-94
Speed: 45-49
Out of all of them it feels like Dracovish got the best one followed by Dracozolt. Arctozolt really would have preferred its Special Attack stat to be high instead of its Attack. Not sure who Arctovish was supposed to please.

Page 54:
Hey guys, when discussing teams for major trainers could we please spoiler tag those too? I wanna try going in the game not knowing any major teams prior :(
Honestly we should have made a new thread for story spoilers, keep this thread just for the Pokemon themselves.

Page 55:
I can see Hattarene as a fairytale princess or "good fairy" with Grimmsnarl being a villanous counterpart. Being both 3-stage lines, next to each other in the Pokedex, and having their middle forms both ending in -"rem" (Mogrem/Hattrem) makes me think there might be a relationship there.
Huh, didn't think of it that way but you make good point.

Page 56:
The leakers who posted some of dynamaxxed forms, fossils and other mentioned Allister uses G-Gengar.
Why would Allister use a Gigantamax when all the other Gym Leaders we've seen so far use a Dynamax?

Also, really GF? Allister's ace is Gengar and not Runerigus?

So these 4 count as four separate fully evolved forms?
Yes, all the fossils are separate Pokemon.

Page 57:
When the game’s out? This is so sad
You also have to remember the leaker has to have the know-how to datamine. It's not exactly something you can look up to do online, you need the proper equipment and have the equipment setup.

Blessed or cursed, laugh or cry, this is pretty amazing.
Ah, my favorite Pokemon: Fuck You.

Page 58:
B-but that would mean *gasp* GF is trying to balance the meta like they have been saying for several months?!
I think "Trying" is the key word here. I'm curious if GF actually knows enough about the meta of their own franchise to have made the right calls on which Pokemon to have included and removed or had they left in a Pokemon that'll dominate certain metas/took out a Pokemon that could have provided useful counters.

I have a thought nagging at me.
I also had something nagging me but it's something different from yours'. It has to do with Dexit and a possible bigger PR nightmare once the datamines are done: what if the datamines revealed functional models of Pokemon who aren't in the Galar Dex? And obviously the more there are the bigger this controversy would be, being at its biggest if it turns out that every single Pokemon has their model in the game. Sounds ridiculous? Remember that in both SM and USUM that all Pokemon were given walking and running animations. Also, if I remember correctly, all games have Key Items from past generations because they copy & paste code all the time.

Last edited:
I mean, one of the best ways to balance the meta would be to take the sacred cow of BSTs and balance those better with pokemon having a more clear defined role in line with their movepools.

Or make a change to the type chart.

They design so many "bulky" slow ice types that can never take advantage of it because they're usually stuck with a 4x weakness to overcome. Imagine a world where Ice wasn't weak to fighting types for example.

But just hitting the [REDACTED] button is kicking the can down the road where we could end up in a situation where your favorite Flygon counter is in the next game but hey, Garchomp's back and now that niche isn't filled any more.

There is precedent, sort of, in Soul Dew before the nerf. Though that was on the basis of it being event exclusive, with the singular exception of BW2, and for a good portion of that time it simply didn't function instead of being banned.
Mostly because event exclusive stuff is almost always banned from VGC. (Soul Dew in BW2 and Dusk Lycanroc are the two execptions I can think of)

Pikachu315111 I think it’s more of Galarian Scientists going “Well these Pokemon are alive so I guess we got the fossils right” and making the dex entries based on their observation.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Is this a Pokémon Quest design? What is this? Why couldn't elephant be quadrupedal???

I want to call attention that this Pokémon learns Steel Beam. Thanks, localization team. Nothing else to comment, except the double battle of two Duraludon vs one Dragapult

It's weird. At first I found it to be very lame and ugly, but the in-game pic is weirdly cute. After the memeworthy Chewtle or whatever it's called, and this huggable goofy evolution, now Drednaw is competing for a slot in my team.

For a lot of it, you have to know the context and back-infer because without context there are literally hundreds of ways to read the numbers
Kabu (187) = hibana (spark)
Opal (910) = Most likely ones are kiju (a respectful/celebrative way to refer to someone of 77 y/o) or kijo (woman of high status)
Melony (361) = samui (cold)
Piers (061) = Doesn't pronounce like it, but from his signature of 061, I think this one is おし (oshi). He seems to be a singer and oshi often refers to support of singers/idols
Raihan (241) = tsuyoi (strong)
Bede (908) = impossible to tell because no context of the character, possibly kureba (why not just give to me? (rhetorical)) since he's sponsored, or kiriha which is another way you can pronounce seppa (切羽), a part of a sword.
Marnie (960) = kuromaru (black circle), kumori (cloudy)
Hop (189) = hiyaku (leap)
"kuromaru"aso means "to blacken or make black" and might be more likely than black circle (I posted my own suggestions a bit back).

I didn't have it earlier think 908 Bede is "koriya" (perfectionist / zealot)

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
If the Pokémon are coded into the game, but are just not allowed to be used, that would be funny. Funny indeed. Ha Ha Ha.
I miss when I thought the leaks being fake was the biggest potential storm of chaos... I... I... I'm very disturbed by what that would mean... On the bright side, which has only the light of a new moon, that would force Game Freak into two choices, give patches or receive pitchforks.

Browsing through the thread and came across a mention of Electox, but it doesn't seem to show up much elsewhere. Is this an alternate form of Toxtricity or was it confirmed to be a fake? Seems like the leakers aren't counting it as a separate Pokemon.

As for Falinks was that confirmed to have multiple forms to?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Browsing through the thread and came across a mention of Electox, but it doesn't seem to show up much elsewhere. Is this an alternate form of Toxtricity or was it confirmed to be a fake? Seems like the leakers aren't counting it as a separate Pokemon.

As for Falinks was that confirmed to have multiple forms to?
We won't have much info on it as we only have one leaker now, and it seems those two are version-exclusive.

"kuromaru"aso means "to blacken or make black" and might be more likely than black circle (I posted my own suggestions a bit back).

I didn't have it earlier think 908 Bede is "koriya" (perfectionist / zealot)
Koriya does indeed make sense. Wasn't thinking of that because all I saw about him was one sentence on Bulbapedia.
As for kuromaru, I'd say both interpretations probably make sense. Black circle is a punctuation mark of sorts.
But then again, the interpretation for the rivals are definitely the hardest to tell because we don't really know their personality traits before actually playing the game through.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Leaker is back. Let's get right to it.

No Gigantamaxes have Pokedex entries.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)