Format Discussion Past Gens Random Battle Sets

pokeblade101

is a Community Contributor
RBTT Champion
mega blastoise set, should have water pulse over scald and never two water moves. dark pulse is probably better here
Double water is allowed on water types because it allows for specs/scarf sets with both options and it is actually viable. Blastoise just happens to be affected by this. As for Scald, I agree.

Double water is allowed on water types because it allows for specs/scarf sets with both options and it is actually viable. Blastoise just happens to be affected by this. As for Scald, I agree.
its mega blastoise which should never have two water moves, and you can tell it is a mega because the level is lower than normal blastoise

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
its mega blastoise which should never have two water moves, and you can tell it is a mega because the level is lower than normal blastoise
Pokémon cannot be coded as individually as this. The code allows for Water-Type Pokémon to receive a more reliable Water-Type STAB and Hydro Pump if they have both in their possible moves in random battles, usually to give them choice items and because the moves are better in different gamestates. Blastoise-Mega is a casualty of this due to the quirk of having both in its movepool, but it's unlikely to happen because Blastoise-Mega has a large movepool in gen6 rands (2/7 chance to get both moves).

I disagree with Water Pulse being better than Scald. A 10BP increase with a 20% chance of confusion is inferior to a 10BP weaker move with a 30% chance of burn imo. Blastoise-Mega is a tank, and Scald is great on tanks. Especially since it is able to get Hydro Pump, actually, since if you want to deal raw power then you can use Hydro Pump, while Scald is better otherwise than that and Water Pulse. Water Pulse is a weird inbetween that ends up inferior to both.

I suppose the argument that could be made is putting Water Pulse over Scald and then Toxic over Dragon Tail. It's extremely rare that Blastoise-Mega ever uses Dragon Tail to phase out a setup sweeper, which is the intention, because usually it has a lot of pressure to act as a defensive backbone earlier into the battle. Toxic is probably better than Dragon Tail for that early defensive presence, at which point Scald can be inhibiting in case you get an unlucky burn when something you'd rather poison switches in.

Clementine

one for the money, two for the show
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
UUPL Champion
klinklang should always have shift gear, sub 3 attacks shouldnt happen
not possible to do unless we give it a fixed set and remove either Wild Charge or Return, and enforcing Shift Gear messes with other Pokémon with the Shift Gear, namely Magearna and Genesect

not possible to do unless we give it a fixed set and remove either Wild Charge or Return, and enforcing Shift Gear messes with other Pokémon with the Shift Gear, namely Magearna and Genesect
return is not really needed here and sub 3 attacks is not as good as shift gear 3 attacks. I know exceptions are coded into the randbats sets and I think this is one of them

Clementine

one for the money, two for the show
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
UUPL Champion
return is not really needed here and sub 3 attacks is not as good as shift gear 3 attacks. I know exceptions are coded into the randbats sets and I think this is one of them
once again, there is no way to prevent sub 3 attacks without removing a move, no exception can be coded here
return is quite useful to make Klinklang's set not fixed, and help to deal with Electric types in general, as well as Steel-resistant Ground types like Camerupt, Swampert or Gastrodon.

we need to figure out a way to make shadow ball a staple on specs gengar in gen 4. i've played too many games where i roll some ass set like hp fire / sludge bomb / focus blast / trick. given how auto-win stuff like deo-d can be, no offensive ghost type should be without a ghost stab.

Xceloh

sommar
is a Tiering Contributor
This goes for a lot of generations and I encountered it in gen6. Accelgor should run Unburden instead of Sticky Hold if it's holding a Focus Sash. Unburden can have some use if it activates against a faster Mon. Sticky hold on the other hand is useless when holding a Focus Sash unless Accelgor takes a Knock Off and then heals itself up, which it can't even do on its own.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 2.39.02 PM.png

lol who did this. remove all of the physical moves, they're trash. make it judge / wisp / recover / calm mind / focus blast / refresh or something

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)