Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Various Pokémon which are not OU by usage are viable in the OU metagame. A good resource to use if you're stuck is the ORAS OU Viability Rankings which is regularly updated and it is good to use while you are still learning the meta. That said, having a strict team structure of "3 OU+3 non-OU" is very limiting, and typically most good teams will consist of mostly OU Pokémon. Usage=/=viability, but in most cases (not all) there is a good reason why something is in the tier that it is.
Alright, thanks. I don't force myself to strictly adhere to that limit, sometimes I have four OU Pokemon or two OU Pokemon. I just enjoy experimenting with sets that Smogon doesn't suggest and I've found some Pokemon that I think would work and test against more OU Pokemon to see if they are actually viable.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, thanks. I don't force myself to strictly adhere to that limit, sometimes I have four OU Pokemon or two OU Pokemon. I just enjoy experimenting with sets that Smogon doesn't suggest and I've found some Pokemon that I think would work and test against more OU Pokemon to see if they are actually viable.
While you are still learning the tier I wouldn't suggest this. Experimentation in Pokémon is a concept that is built upon the assumption of the person having a solid background in the tier. As such, experimenting before you form that understanding is like trying to jump into the deep end of a swimming pool before you know how to swim or keep yourself afloat: it just doesn't work. Standard sets are standard for a reason, so you're best off sticking to them for the most part until you understand the tier and building within it better.

This isn't to say non-standard sets can't work, but for now it's better to play it safe so that you have a better understanding of what makes a good non-standard set.

While you are still learning the tier I wouldn't suggest this. Experimentation in Pokémon is a concept that is built upon the assumption of the person having a solid background in the tier. As such, experimenting before you form that understanding is like trying to jump into the deep end of a swimming pool before you know how to swim or keep yourself afloat: it just doesn't work. Standard sets are standard for a reason, so you're best off sticking to them for the most part until you understand the tier and building within it better.

This isn't to say non-standard sets can't work, but for now it's better to play it safe so that you have a better understanding of what makes a good non-standard set.
Hmm, yeah, I should probably look at different sets first, since all I did before was look at stats and most used moves for a given Pokemon to decide my sets. Though is there a thing as being too reliant on standard sets, and is it best to do variations on said sets once you understand how a Pokemon works in competitive?

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, yeah, I should probably look at different sets first, since all I did before was look at stats and most used moves for a given Pokemon to decide my sets. Though is there a thing as being too reliant on standard sets, and is it best to do variations on said sets once you understand how a Pokemon works in competitive?
Yup that's pretty much the gist. It's good to stick to standard sets for the most part, but there is surprise value that comes from breaking from the mold and it can also improve teams if it fills a specific niche. However, in order to understand the best way to do so you need to understand what you're doing first--and as such it's best to just stick to what is tried and tested first.

You need to understand this:

While there can (!) be an advantage in using non-standard pokemon, archetypes, EV spreads and movesets (surprise effect, low-key overpowered, opponent not prepared for, etc.); the ones that are considered standard, are considered Standard because in MOST situations, they are the MOST consistent and MOST useful. After such a long time that ORAS has been out, if you think you have some secretly insane and meta-defining Pokemon/Spread/Set, you can be 99,9% sure there was already a top player who tried that exact combination and deemed it NOT actually gamechanging.

These are thoughts that should be saved for the day that you play with the top of the top. When you have to prepare for tournaments and adjust to opponent's known favorite playstyles, etc. But for laddering, and for starting out from... let's say 1000 to 1800... don't.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm all for creativity, because I get aids and cancer when I see the 40th exact Importable copy of XtraShine's Birdspam... but you can be creative without using bad Pokemon/spreads/sets on purpose

Martin

Thanks a lot guys. I will give it a look.
There's also a lot in the Preliminary Pokedex if you can't find what you're looking for. It's in roughly the same place but if you can't find it just type it into google and its either the first or second result.

There's also a lot in the Preliminary Pokedex if you can't find what you're looking for. It's in roughly the same place but if you can't find it just type it into google and its either the first or second result.
Yeah i actually took a look but didnt find anything (Just 1 Greninja set that i saw in a smogon video long ago). Will try that one. Thanks.

PD: I was trying to use this website that shows old website pages and i tought that i could see some olds OU sets in there, but for some reason i dosnt work with smogon after XY

Last edited:

Martin

is heatran the best clefable counter available in OU??
The only way to actually counter Clefable is with something which is immune to T-wave and resistant to Moonblast, but the issue with those is that they are all team specific and/or bad aside from Nidoking (which loses to CM+Ice Beam or CM+BoltBeam variants with minimal prior damage and as such is not a counter) and Magnezone (loses to Fire Blast/Focus Blast variants with minimal prior damage and can only 2HKO +1 Clef with a boost from Choice Specs (RIP resist berry Mag)), and with the exception of SpD Mega Steelix and maybe Nidoqueen they all drop to its coverage or, in the case of SpD Driller, involve using suboptimal sets.

Clef is so fucking versatile it's stupid lmao. Anything that doesn't meet the T-wave criteria is just a check by textbook definition, although obviously different variants get countered by different things so I guess you can call some stuff situational counters.

is heatran the best clefable counter available in OU??
Nidoking and Magnezone are more stable counters since they can't be paralyzed. In Nidoking's case, it only takes significant damage from the uncommon Ice Beam. Heatran can be paralyzed, while non-Heatran Steels can be lured with Flamethrower.

I know ORAS is basically almost over, but this is a general question; How do I get better? (teambuilding, battling, etc)

I watch some high-level tour replays (wcop, olt), I use some of the OU resources (vrs, good cores, role comp, etc.), and i play fairly often, but I can't seem to improve no matter what I'm doing. I'm not really new to comp (been playing since January of this year) and highest peak was mid 1600s. Maybe im doing something wrong? Idk. Help is appreciated.

I know ORAS is basically almost over, but this is a general question; How do I get better? (teambuilding, battling, etc)

I watch some high-level tour replays (wcop, olt), I use some of the OU resources (vrs, good cores, role comp, etc.), and i play fairly often, but I can't seem to improve no matter what I'm doing. I'm not really new to comp (been playing since January of this year) and highest peak was mid 1600s. Maybe im doing something wrong? Idk. Help is appreciated.
Honestly, I know you say you play a lot, but practice and experience are two of the best tools at your expense for really anything in life, and the same goes for competitive Pokemon. Sometimes finding the play style your most comfortable with and playing with that can help you find how you play at your best. Additionally, building with frens is always nice too, as seeing teambuilding from a different perspective can make you realize some flaws in your own. However, I cannot stress enough how important practice and thus through playing a lot experience is.

Tutoring, although B101 rounds are wrapping up soon. Competitive Tutoring on PS is also a helpful place to learn in real time.

Does anyone have the EVs and moveset ABR uses on his M-Altaria in the OLT stall team? I know the first 3 slots are Facade, Cotton Guard & Roost; and that it is supposed to be specially defensive to beat Keldeo and Char-Y, but yeah, exact EVs and the 4th move... I'd need help with that

Edit: If you/ABR don't want that made public (yet), I'd appreciate a PM too :P Or at least a breakpoint to hit

Last edited:

Martin

christ we still need to put up with two more months of pictures

but yeah Clef's set is super team dependent; sometimes you want Heal Bell, sometimes you want Calm Mind, sometimes you want T-wave, sometimes KOff etc. It just depends on your team really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)