Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

so I understand the basics of competetive pokemon, I think... But how do you git gud? (without having to join the tutoring program since, I don't have time and only play in weekends.
Practice.

Also watch some replays of top-rated players to see their thought processes, follow discussions on Smogon and elsewhere, feel free to ask questions, stuff like that. But most importantly, practice.

so I understand the basics of competetive pokemon, I think... But how do you git gud? (without having to join the. tutoring program since, I don't have time and only play in weekends.
Practice, and maybe reading the OU viability rankings. It helps to understand what you're facing, or what the pokemon you're using does really well. Sometimes, it's a good place to look for a team member replacement too.

so I understand the basics of competetive pokemon, I think... But how do you git gud? (without having to join the tutoring program since, I don't have time and only play in weekends.
The thing that helped me the most (apart from Albacore helping me build teams, shoutouts at this point), was to just go full Zombie-mode on the usage stats. Learn which Pokemon are used a lot, which movesets are used the most on those pokemon, and which Pokemon check/are checked by those pokemon. Until you memorize it, it might be helpful to have this thread open while battling: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-checks-compendium.3565962/

Best way to get good is to simply practice, ask for advice and watch games until your comfortable. It's also as much about team building as it is about battling so check the viability rankings. Sure there's a lot to check in just a few slots but team structure is very important and while you don't have to be able to beat everything if your losing every time heatran, talon and lopunny appear, clefable clicks t-wave or sableye megas then you probably need to redo the team. Anyway welcome to smogon

I have 2 questions about Sand for the more experienced team builders in here. Afaik the general formula for Sand teams seems to be TTar, Drill, Bulky Water, Bulky Grass, Additional Glue, Mega (before people get triggered: I know this is just a rough guideline and not NECESSARY roles. Just simplifying it for the sake of it here). Now,

a) how do you decide on your mega? Do you prefer to fill the spot with a pokemon that compliments your offense, breaking pokemon not dealt with by Exca + Latios (or w/e is in his spot)? Do you try to fill potential gaps left open in your defensive core? Do you just try to use a mega that checks top threats?

Obviously you ideally want all 3 of those aspects as perfect as possible, but if you had to choose, which one would you give the highest priority? And,

b) Ignoring Venusaur-M for now, the most common bulky grass types on Sand are Tangrowth and Amoonguss. How do you choose between THOSE two? Since they both basically fill the role of a physical defensive pivot (unless you wanna give up sleep for AV, but not sure how I feel about that), but one checks setup sweepers (most prominently CM Clef, because you don't always want to switch your excadrill into that), and the other gives Knock Off Support and more offensive presence... It's giving me a major headache ^^

Already thanks for you guys' answers!

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have 2 questions about Sand for the more experienced team builders in here. Afaik the general formula for Sand teams seems to be TTar, Drill, Bulky Water, Bulky Grass, Additional Glue, Mega (before people get triggered: I know this is just a rough guideline and not NECESSARY roles. Just simplifying it for the sake of it here). Now,

a) how do you decide on your mega? Do you prefer to fill the spot with a pokemon that compliments your offense, breaking pokemon not dealt with by Exca + Latios (or w/e is in his spot)? Do you try to fill potential gaps left open in your defensive core? Do you just try to use a mega that checks top threats?

Obviously you ideally want all 3 of those aspects as perfect as possible, but if you had to choose, which one would you give the highest priority? And,

b) Ignoring Venusaur-M for now, the most common bulky grass types on Sand are Tangrowth and Amoonguss. How do you choose between THOSE two? Since they both basically fill the role of a physical defensive pivot (unless you wanna give up sleep for AV, but not sure how I feel about that), but one checks setup sweepers (most prominently CM Clef, because you don't always want to switch your excadrill into that), and the other gives Knock Off Support and more offensive presence... It's giving me a major headache ^^

Already thanks for you guys' answers!
a) I don't know, sorry
b) You sort of answered your own question here. If your team appreciates the Knock Off support, choose Tangrowth, and if your team is weak to setup sweepers choose Amoonguss. That being said I think Tangrowth is generally better on sand because it's not passive and because it actually resists eq, meaning that it can beat stuff like Scarf Drill (which threatens everything on sand and is usually only checked by its own drill).

a) I don't know, sorry
b) You sort of answered your own question here. If your team appreciates the Knock Off support, choose Tangrowth, and if your team is weak to setup sweepers choose Amoonguss. That being said I think Tangrowth is generally better on sand because it's not passive and because it actually resists eq, meaning that it can beat stuff like Scarf Drill (which threatens everything on sand and is usually only checked by its own drill).
I... don't know what I expected about b x) Now that I re-read it, it's kinda obvious. Thanks anyways for the reply :) And if someone could help me with the mega-problem, I'd appreciate it!

Also jesus f***ing christ, dude, that baby is horrific

Last edited:
i have a question regarding the exclusive moves in pokemon XD, gale of darkness. recently i have been going back to that game to get the mons there with good natures. however, i know a lot of the moves pokemon got in that game are particularly useful. however i do know a few of them can be incredibly useful, but i am unsure which ones fall under that category. would anyone know of any of the XD mons that could be considered for compeditive play in this current generation? or maybe a general idea of which ones could have the potential to be made useful under a special circumstance?

does anybody have the pastebin of the msab/duggy stall team that doesnt use zapdos?
This one?

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Defog
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 20 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost

This one?

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Defog
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 20 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Sableye @ Sablenite
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost
I was looking for this one that had skarm and cune but it may have all been a bad dream...

I was looking for this one that had skarm and cune but it may have all been a bad dream...

Hmm... the most common stall team on ladder right now, apart from the shedinja one, is Dugtrio + double defog, and that team uses skarm, suicune AND zapdos though :o if there's one without Zapdos, I'm not aware of it, but I guess you can replace it with any defensive defogger if you can handle it's coverage otherwise

Edit: This is the one I'm talking about, has both skarm and cune, but well, also Zapdos ^^ maybe it still helps you:

Sableye @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Fake Out

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Roar
- Calm Mind

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
There is a team with Mega Sableye / Dugtrio / Talonflame / Gastrodon / Skarmory / Clefable. I don't know if that's the one you're talking about lightninging but that's the only Sab+Duggy - Zapdos team I can think of. Unfortunately, I don't have the pastebin for that team but maybe someone else does (the moves I know for sure that are being used on the team are wishtect clef, counter rocks defog skarm, fake out knock off sab, tauntwisp tflame and screech duggy)

Hey hey, it's me again, sorry :P Is there a site/twitch/youtube channel where I can watch all (or at least the top x) of the latest official Smogon ORAS OU tournament? (The one with the Tele/Abr fun)

Thanks already for the help :)

Hey hey, it's me again, sorry :P Is there a site/twitch/youtube channel where I can watch all (or at least the top x) of the latest official Smogon ORAS OU tournament? (The one with the Tele/Abr fun)

Thanks already for the help :)
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...logs-and-replays-thread.3582785/#post-7026630
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spl-7-logs-replays.3560692/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/world-cup-of-pokemon-xi-logs-replays.3574596/

What does the 240 attack EVs for m-diancie do specifically? Does it achieve any critical OHKO or 2HKOs?

Also, what's the best offensive Garchomp set in the current meta, SD or Chain Chomp?

What does the 240 attack EVs for m-diancie do specifically? Does it achieve any critical OHKO or 2HKOs?

Also, what's the best offensive Garchomp set in the current meta, SD or Chain Chomp?
IDK about the first question, but the best offensive Chomper set by far is SD LO Chomp.

Garchomp (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance

idk what 240 evs do but phys diancie can 2hko tran w/ dstorm and moonblast and hp fire slaughter everything else.

Dunno if it's the exact reason but 240 Att guarantees the 2HKO on the standard 252/172/84 Clefable with Diamond Storm. Also gives you a chance to 2HKO Chansey after rocks

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The benchmark isn't the Clef one, cause that's attained with 228. It is probably just max attack with a SpA benchmark like is the case with 8 Atk / 248 SpA variants (although I'm not sure what this is and don't have the patience to calc a third of the tier)

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
What's a good MegaZor / Ferro lure to pair with CM + TWave Clefable? I thought Amoonguss might do well but it seems a bit too common to actually "lure" stuff.

Is practicing the only thing for becoming a good player ? I feel like I am stuck where I am and do not progress at all. My question is whether or not talent plays a role to become a good player ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)