OU ORAS OU Good Cores (Outdated)

Charizard X + Focus Sash Serperior

So this core assumes you already have some sort of decent hazard control - which any Zard team should do. Serperior provides great pressure on things Zard doesn't like (Rotom-W, TTar, Mega Diancie, Latios after a boost, defensive Lando-T to an extent), it can switch into Rock and Ground attacks aimed at Zard and use them as set up, and most crucially is more or less a lure for Heatran with HP Ground as the most common Serp sets running HP Fire - which you don't really need here as Zard readily threatens Scizor and Ferrothorn, freeing Zard to run the desirable Roost over EQ. Sash capitalises on your hazard control, and with Glare you have a surprise one time check to any non-electric type late game (particularly things like Sand Rush Excadrill) - allowing Zard to come in and easily revenge with a meaty Flare Blitz. Further, a Sash somewhat negates the need to run LO, as in situations where you need LO (SpDef bulky Heatran for example), it gives you that extra hit and also can be used to get through common checks (Weavile for example).

Zard X in turn as mentioned handles those x4 Fire-weak types and non-Ground weak steels like Skarmory, can set up on things like Mega Mannectric which out-speeds Serp once mega evolved, and is just a general power house that is incredibly hard to switch into. I think what surprised me the most is learning that after a single Dragon Dance Flare Blitz OHKOes Scarf Lando-T after rocks, if that's not a testament to its face melting power I don't know what is. I much prefer Roost to EQ, you don't get any mind games with Bisharp and Sucker Punch and given a slight chance by the opponent it's not hard to squeak a Roost in. After switching into rocks enough, many of the mentioned checks/counters will also fall with not much trouble.

Things to watch are for are priority T-Wavers and Mega Lopunny, who will break Serp's sash with Fake Out. Strong priority is an issue, but at the very least Serp can Glare users in the first place. The IVs on Serp are for HP Ground. I heard that Hidden Power needs a remainder of 2 or 3 when divided by 4 to have one of the elements contributing to base power equation active, for some reason Showdown now auto sets this at 0 or 1 if you're not running an physical move depending on the Hidden Power. If I'm being crazy here, correct me, but otherwise it's best to set it manually.

Serperior @ Focus Sash
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Glare

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Balance Core: Gliscor + Mega Latias

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse / Ice Beam
- Psyshock / Thunderbolt / Surf

Don't know if you guys have noticed but Gliscor is a pretty fresh partner with CMers in general for balance squads. Anyway the idea of this core is 2 setup sweepers that have stronger matchups against different playstyles; Gliscor is annoying for stall and strong against balance where Mega Latias shines more against offense but against certain balance teams as well. These are kind of generalizations since it usually just depends on teams but as you'll see these two support each other well.

Gliscor counters Clefable, Heatran, Excadrill, most Gengar, and checks other annoyances to Latias like Tyranitar (Scarf) and Bisharp. Standard spread and set you know what it does but man having a switch-in to Mega Diancie is lordly, and it can come into Mega Alakazam too. Underrated glue mon for balance teams that allows you a switch-in to a lot of things and becomes threatening pretty quickly after a single Swords Dance. As a status absorber, Gliscor also supports Latias by being able to switch into typical status mons that were previously mentioned like Clefable and Heatran.

Latias helps Gliscor out with Water-types that threaten it, primarily Keldeo, Volcanion, and Manaphy, but also CM bulky waters like Slowbro. It also checks Kyurem-Black if you run Dragon STAB which is cool but not a switchin whatsoever haha. It's also fast which is important and a big reason it's popular on balance teams.

Having answers to LO Torn on balance is really great which is part of why this core is cool. It's also not weak to Spike stacking at all which is really dope for a balance core.

Obviously you need some real answers to mons like Weavile, Kyurem-Black and Mega Scizor. Mega Gardevoir is also an issue and other offensive breakers like Ice Punch Lopunny so keep those in mind.

Ferrothorn is a nice partner since you can use hazards to pressure your opponent and it checks Kyurem-Black as well as Azumarill and gives you another Manaphy answer. Keldeo is helpful for Weavile, Bisharp and Mega Scizor and provides more speed and offensive pressure.

Offensive Core: Sand Offense + Mega Pinsir

tyranitar.gif
excadrill.gif
pinsir-mega.gif

Sets:
Tyranitar (M) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill (F) @ Life Orb / Air Balloon (I recommend Balloon with SD and LO with 4 attacks)
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide / Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Pinsir-Mega (M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Quick Attack / Feint
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

So here's a fun core I've been using recently. Pinsir is an excellent balance breaker in today's meta that can floor entire teams if given the chance, but it needs a decent bit of support to function---namely hazard removal. Electrics and Talonflame are also a huge pain for Pinsir, as both don't mind Quick Attacks and can KO Pinsir relatively easily regardless of its boosts. That's why sand offense partners nicely with Pinsir; sand covers electrics magnificently, provides two answers to Talonflame (assuming Exca is running Rock Slide and is in sand vs. Talonflame), spins away hazards, and can weaken key shared checks easily enough to open up windows for sweeping.

Lando, Garchomp, Gliscor, Hippowdon, Rotom, Slowbro, and a handful of other physically bulky 'mons that are commonly relegated to checking sand can be overloaded to the point of uselessness by this core, which allows Pinsir to do its job of balance breaking and Excadrill's as a wincon vs. offense far better. Pinsir also checks common threats to sand offense like bulky grasses (Celebi, Tang), Keldeo, and Breloom, supporting Exca and TTar.

Threats:
080-m.png
Slowbro-Mega (Defensive): Mega-Bro's insane bulk and Scald burns are more than enough to ward off the core's offensive pressure, so a consistent and powerful answer is really needed to support the core.

227.png
Skarmory (Defensive): Skarm's ability to wall Pinsir and Excadrill to no end and roost off any damage necessitates some sort of special wallbreaker or electric to deal with it.

479w.png
Rotom-W (Pivot): The only unresisted moves Pinsir and Excadrill are able to hit Rotom-W with are non-STAB Close Combat and Rock Slide, which both deal underwhelming damage. In return, Rotom can hit both for supereffective damage.

Partners:
381.png
380.png
Lati@s (LO w/ Tbolt): These two handle all three of the listed threats very well, and have the added bonus of dealing with most misc. waters that trouble sand well (namely Keldeo). If running Latias, Healing Wish can restore Pinsir and Exca to give them another shot at denting the opposition.

479w.png
Rotom-W (Pivot): Rotom can help alleviate the core's weakness to bulky grounds and Azumarill, while providing slow Volt Switch support.

Last edited:
Face of Bulky Offense
Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
This is another core that is pretty standard nowadays that I was pretty surprised to not see on this list. Rotom-W and Lando form a potent volturn core that can really gain momentum for your team while checking extremely important threats for your team. These two have pretty solid type synnergy, and they don't really stack weaknesses at all, which is really nice. Lando's main issues are ice type attacks and waters in general since both hit lando really hard. Rotom can come into those attacks pretty comfortably and threaten to burn ice types (since weavile hates burns) or just volt switch out vs most waters and take a chunk out of their HP so that they have a harder time switching into lando in the future. Rotom's main issues stem from powerful special attackers, mainly offensive electrics. This is where yache berry landot comes in, luring out hp ices from elecs and eliminating them with ground stab (also has stone edge for thundy). This core should be paired with powerful wallbreakers like medicham since they give so many switch in opportunities and can really put the pressure on the opposing team to make touch plays like sending ground types in vs rotom in order to sap your momentum and stop your wallbreaker from getting in easily. This core struggles with strong special attackers; namely offensive elecs and offensive grasses. Heatran can cover offensive grasses for the team (bar loom) as well as the lati twins, and it can help with elecs (although it can get worn down easily and thundy slaps its dong across tran). If you add tran, include to add a backup elec check like roost 3 attacks or roost defog latios to better check elecs. Overall, this core is a staple for bulky offenses and is really solid overall and is most certainly a decent core to use as glue for bulky offense.
IDK if I'm allowed to ask, but what is sitrus berry for. I'm just curious and maybe it can provide some insight for the people who want to use your core.

fast sitrus rotom is to take on volcanion better since obviously max speed volc is a mon that breaks lando and sitrus generally is preferred when you don't have split on rotom for the fast recovery. Volc does more than half, so sitrus activates and you become fairly healthy.
And then what after you become "fairly healthy"? You Volt out into your real Volcanion check I bet. Please don't use Sitrus, this isn't VGC. Just use lefties if you really need the recovery, or drop Twave unless you lose to Zard X.

I mean you can't say that the core is a standard one when you bring out these wacko sets like Yache max HP/Def Lando or fast Wave Sitrus Rotom lol.

Edit: the set makes more sense in the context given by AM, undeniably

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
And then what after you become "fairly healthy"? You Volt out into your real Volcanion check I bet. Please don't use Sitrus, this isn't VGC. Just use lefties if you really need the recovery, or drop Twave unless you lose to Zard X.

I mean you can't say that the core is a standard one when you bring out these wacko sets like Yache max HP/Def Lando or fast Wave Sitrus Rotom lol.
On fast WashTom sets then Sitrus' immediate recovery is much more useful than Leftovers' passive recovery imho. Because Rotom isn't going to be sponging lots of hits like bulkier variants are, the ability to turn a 2HKO into a 3HKO is extremely useful for Rotom-W's role in a battle as it exchanges survivability for the ability to much more reliably cripple stuff like Bisharp, and having Sitrus to act as a two-time switch-in to Volcanion (courtesy of being 3HKOed after Sitrus and outpacing it) is handy because it allows you to grab momentum with Volt Switch on BO (where you'll be using this set) as Volcanion is forced out, because it 2HKOs it while outpacing (meaning that having enough health for that second hit is extremely useful when it stays in as you can then come in on it again to KO it) and because you'd have to be incredibly ballzy to switch any Ground-types into Rotom-W--making it basically a free Volt Switch.

On fast WashTom sets then Sitrus' immediate recovery is much more useful than Leftovers' passive recovery imho. Because Rotom isn't going to be sponging lots of hits like bulkier variants are, the ability to turn a 2HKO into a 3HKO is extremely useful for Rotom-W's role in a battle as it exchanges survivability for the ability to much more reliably cripple stuff like Bisharp, and having Sitrus to act as a two-time switch-in to Volcanion (courtesy of being 3HKOed after Sitrus and outpacing it) is handy because it allows you to grab momentum with Volt Switch on BO (where you'll be using this set) as Volcanion is forced out, because it 2HKOs it while outpacing (meaning that having enough health for that second hit is extremely useful when it stays in as you can then come in on it again to KO it) and because you'd have to be incredibly ballzy to switch any Ground-types into Rotom-W--making it basically a free Volt Switch.
The bulk sacrifice isn't that substantial and fast Rotom still beats all the regular shit you use Rotom to beat like sand and Talon. The whole idea of turning 2HKOs into 3HKOs works so well in VGC (I'm speaking mainly 14/15) because of the incredible power of the shit there, and the fact that games are quick. The latter cannot be said for OU the majority of the time, allowing time for Rotom to accrue more than 25% (the majority of the time Rotom is staying alive for more than 5 turns).

I don't really care whether or not you use Sitrus, if I'm honest. My gripe is this: the very idea of Volt Switching out on a Volcanion requires you to also have a secondary Volcanion answer, so, why not just go to that in the first place? Furthermore, what if your opponent does switch out, and more than once? Yes, they will give away momentum, but where's your Volcanion switchin now? A 70-ish% Rotom that can't even OHKO Volc? I also don't like the idea of making a defensive pivot (especially Rotom and Lando) with the intentions of actively letting it be worn down by big hits. Considering the amount of cores that function based on wearing down Lando/Rotom in the first place, letting your Rotom take what is still a substantial hit+potential burn+potential rocks, and letting your Lando take a weakened HP Ice both seem counter-intuitive to me.

bludz

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Generally think it's silly to question cores too much but there's a pretty decent reason for it this time. The core in question is standard but the most standard sets are not the ones being supplied. Given that this is a resource, it is usually best to supply the most standard version of your core, and explain variations in your description. Obviously some cores work based on not being standard and that's fine (in these cases, explain why being non standard is helpful), but this isn't that case.

So yeah Lando should be Rocky Helmet, no Yache slash (mention in description), Rotom should be slow with Leftovers and the standard moveset. This makes the post the most useful to anyone using this thread as a resource especially if their metagame knowledge is still developing

Please move on.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I know bludz said to move on but I cant sit here and see littlelucario use my rotom w variant (sitrus) and give the wrong reason as to why it has sitrus since it hurts and is need of actual clarification. Its a variant used on more hyper offensive teams for teams I mostly make specifically. Over the course of a match with a typical offense the immediate recovery will prove to be more useful where leftovers recovery wont be used to full effect, specific builds I make not everyone. Bludz is right, tiger jaws is mostly right in a general sense, but I think I had to come in and say that cause that volcanion point by littlelucario is extremely false and if rotomw is your volcanion switch in / way you beat volcanion I sincerely hope the next match you play you get haxed to hell 3 times over, preferably by clefable.

Edit: for this post to have more of a legitimate point sash serp up above is super silly. Just provide a regular sub serp set like leech seed with mention of subglare and it would be golden.

Edit2: Instead of being an ass with a double post I'll just edit this post.

M-Diancie + Garchomp

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Earth Power
- Protect

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance
Uh I'm gonna make these descriptions short cause I think the thread team is way better at making descriptions that doesn't sound like fluff. I put this as an offensive core but I think the concept of M-Diancie + Garchomp has been strong for so long in ORAS and I didn't see it in the OP which is a shocker. The team can change the sets to whatever they would like as this core changes a lot depending on the team it's on. Like the Cosine Sash Offense with sash rocker Garchomp, this variant with using them as the offensive core. I guess if you want you can put like M-Diancie + SR SD Chomp with Lum that seems pretty straight forward but again, the team I have confidence in.

M-Gyarados + Latios

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost
Classic combo. Latios for Keld, M-Gyarados to break down fatter builds Latios isn't able to cover. M-Gyarados is pretty linear, Latios not so much but figured this common variant would do as a baseline.

Calm Mind Clefable + Calm Mind Latios

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Calm Mind
Honestly I'll let you guys decide sets and EVs for this thread cause I change them all the time on different teams like going bulkier on Latios for stuff like M-Kazams Shadow Ball or the Calm Clef variant when I don't feel like clicking X on Kyurem-B. I don't like two mon cores too much but this core is stupidly strong with Skarmory or Ferrothorn as a Spiker. I thought about including Skarmory alongside Clef since I didn't see that either, but meh again cores team has a better grasp on things.

Kyurem + Gliscor

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost
Similar function to the core bludz posted except more akin to a wall-breaker + stall-breaker combo. A lot of conventional checks to Kyurem are annoyed by Gliscor, and vice versa. You would need something for offense or some speed control. I like pairing this core up with Starmie just to give people an idea.

LO Alakazam + CB Azumarill

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Encore

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Knock Off / Superpower
- Aqua Jet
By extension I suppose this can also translate to M-Alakazam + Azu although it may or may not be a core in the OP. Alakazam is kind of a dark horse balance breaker who has garbage matchups against your normal offensive archetypes. Azumarill is a pain for these archetypes due to lack of good switch-ins. If Azumarill isn't able to break it, there's a good chance Alakazam will. This is a core I use paired with Spikes Ferrothorn and SR Lando-T. Ala slot is customizable the Mcmeghan stallbreaker set of Psychic, Dazzling Gleam, Focus Blast, Knock Off is sweet with Azumarill to.

Crawdaunt + Victini
Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
Modest Nature
- Blue Flare
- Psychic
- Glaciate
- Focus Blast
Sets are placeholders change to whatever. I'd probably just put mixed Victini + SD Crawdaunt as the core when you standardize the sets. Can mention other variants such as Lum Crawdaunt, Specs Tini, Ebelt, etc. Whatever you guys feel is best. Duo wall-breaker core that I use with Specs tini + Lum Craw.

Other things I would put that I didn't see but don't have sets on me for.

Thundurus + SD Bisharp
LO Hydreigon + M-Lopunny (M-Scizor + Hydreigon to is a good one)
Something with Lucario
Volcarona cores....effective ones. Those ones right now aren't good :/. Even something like Dugtrio + Volcarona would be an upgrade to what you guys have. Garchomp / Ground + Volcarona is good as well.

Last edited:
Mega Slowbro + GastroDON:

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock / Thunder Wave
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Curse
- Recover
- Earthquake

This core is legit FLAMES not only because it has 2 scald users but ALSO because this core walls like half of the meta. Not to mention these two right here are very SOLID wincons. CM M-Slowbro with heavy investment in SpD is pretty standard, but it's as solid as ever. This shit weak to dark yet it STILL counters Weavile, and pretty much every single attacker in the game. I put the EVs the same as the standard so nobody cries about my EVs. Anyways, Thunder Wave can be used over Psyshock to help deal with stuff like Lati@s, Tornadus-T, Manaphy, etc. but you lose out on hitting on the physical side. As for Gastrodon, this thing is golden right now. Not only does this thing CLEAN counter all Electrics for Slowbro (Except GK Thundurus, but fuq that) but also is one of the few counters to Specs Volcanion (except the dweebs who run HP Grass). With almost a balanced investment in Defenses this thing can take on a plethora of things, especially after a curse. It's EV'd to live 2 Secret Swords from LO Keldeo (not specs) w/o any boost, but still have a very good SpD investment. After 2-3 Curses this thing can legit sweep teams, especially late games. If the opponent's Lati or Rotom-W is weakened or gone, then prepare for a clean sweep.

If you like really bulky offense or semi-stall, this core is for you ;)

EDIT:

Here are a couple of replays from a WHILE ago I still had:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-293155878 - mega slowbro eating this man up
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-293269668 - late gastro sweep
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-293157478 - gastro putting in WORK

H.M.N.I.P

https://youtu.be/pIr6TjG7Rko
is a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Balance Core
(SubCoil Zygarde + Buky Swords Dance Mega Scizor)

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
which is
, so it struggles a lot against
and even
: so, to cover all those weaknesses, we complete these core with
's help. It is able to take on
's weaknesses really well thanks to his natural bulkyness and spectacular typing. Furthermore,
struggles a bit against
types so
can check them and help
to sweep or to pivot into it.
Why this core: Zygarde has always been a nice Pokémon to play with in OU, so I was really surprised when I've noticed that this topic lacks of cores with it. Mega Scizor was perfect in this case since it forms with Zygarde a powerful Bulky Offense core with a perfect synergy.

Explanation of sets: I opted for both Bulky Offense variants: when I started thinking this simple core, I thought that the 252/252 EVs's spread of Zygarde was simply outplayed by other Ground Pokémons, in particular the one used in sand. This EVs spread is simply amazing! 56 in Speed is needed to outspeed threat such as Adamant Breloom or Bisharp and Modest Volcanion. 200 HP are there to form a 101 HP Substitute so Seismic Toss won't be able to break it in one hit. The rest is in Special Defense with a Careful nature because it can help to take threats like Zard Y in a really nice way. Mega Scizor has the classic BO spread: 248 HP and 16 in Defense let it take 2 Earthquakes from max Attack Adamant Landorus, so that it can easily set up on him. 200 EVs in Special Defense are there to take on Clefable's Fire Blasts and Diancie's HP Fires. Last EVs are in Attack since its main role is to sweep opponent's team.

Partners: Both Zygarde and Scizor really appreciate Hazard Stacking, as they can help them to do cheap damage on every switchin, and, in particular, they can help Zygarde to do massive damage thanks to his Dragon Tail + Coil combination. In this case Heatran is a really good partner for this duo, as it can also soft-check Electric types which are pretty annoying. Thundurus is also a nice member thanks to the access of Volt Switch, which gives us momentum, and Prankster Thunder Wave, which helps Zygarde in his job.

Threats: Mainly fast Electric types with a decent coverage such as Mega-Manectric. Also bulky waters are pretty annoying: Slowbro and Crocune can pressure a lot this base core. Even Keldeo and Volcanion are a threat since these two aren't switchin and can't take their main STABs. Finally Tornadus is a bit annoying thank to his deadly movepool and the Heat Wave + HP Ice.

[(for now that's all, hope you like this core, see ya.) also, thanks -Lone for the titles in the hides :)].

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
(reposting bc of clarifications needed with sets)
Face of Bulky Offense
Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
Main Description: This is another core that is pretty standard nowadays that I was pretty surprised to not see on this list. Rotom-W and Lando form a potent volturn core that can really gain momentum for your team while checking extremely important threats for your team. These two have pretty solid type synnergy, and they don't really stack weaknesses at all, which is really nice. Lando's main issues are ice type attacks and waters in general since both hit lando really hard. Rotom can come into those attacks pretty comfortably and threaten to burn ice types (since weavile hates burns) or just volt switch out vs most waters and take a chunk out of their HP so that they have a harder time switching into lando in the future. Rotom's main issues stem from powerful special attackers, mainly offensive electrics. This is where landot comes in, threatening elecs with eq and possibly eliminating them with ground stab (also has stone edge for lefties thundy). This core should be paired with powerful wallbreakers like medicham since they give so many switch in opportunities and can really put the pressure on the opposing team to make touch plays like sending ground types in vs rotom in order to sap your momentum and stop your wallbreaker from getting in easily.

Threats to the Core:
- Offensive Electrics can really take their toll on the core since they can volt switch out on rotom and do a lot with STAB attacks while hp ice does a shitton to lando, OHKOing it if a choiced or life orb electric uses it.
- Dragons are a huge threat to the core since they can kinda just click draco twice and can ohko both members of the core after each of them literally takes a round of rocks damage, which kinda sucks and you really don't have any way of dancing around that as the core lacks a draco resist. Also LO kyub can click ice beam vs lando and epower vs rotom to ohko it after rocks most of the time, which sucks since it doesn't even have to switch out vs the core.
- Serperior can set up on rotom with leaf storm and OHKO lando at +2, so there is basically no wiggle room when facing this thing and you need a really solid check for it to pair with these mons

Other Options: Personally, I prefer using fast sitrus berry Rotom-W to support Lando-T over the current set, and I'm going to explain why. To start off, Lando really struggles with many sd sweepers like bisharp and scizor (most scizor dont run max speed anymore and offensive sd cant set up vs lando since it lacks roost). For this reason, having a mon that can outspeed base 70s and burn them in fast rotom is really nice since it takes some pressure off of lando to check these mons. Additionally, lando is outsped and OHKO'd by pretty much any volcanion set, which really sucks for him. For this reason, a rotom set that can outspeed most volcs and put pressure on it is really helpful. Fast sitrus rotom can outspeed and volt out vs most volcanions after switching in since the 3 most common volc sets at 1695 on usage right now are all modest and outsped by this set. Running fast rotom+a lati twin and a faster mon or two that can pressure it or two is pretty much the best that you will be accounting for volcanion in offensive builds these days, so it's not really that big a deal having rotomw as your best volc switch (aside from lati@s, who can get pursuit trapped) since volcanion wont be pressuring those builds anytime soon unless your opponent out predicts you, and that's just your opponent's skill level moreso than the team that is the issue in that scenario. Also, Sitrus berry is more of a personal preference for Rotom since I use my rotom pretty cavalier unless I see a mon that I need it to check 100% like mega pinsir or something like that, and I find the sudden recovery after taking strong hits like steam eruption from volcanion. Also, the slash for yache berry on landot was just there since offense tends to struggle with offensive electrics and the core literally gets pressured insanely by them, so a mon to lure and kill them is really valuable. The attack evs with lando ensure a guarenteed OHKO on mega manectric after living an HP ice post-yache berry and post-intimidate. Obviously this core will usually be paired up with a lati twin and maybe even another elec check, so rocky helm is still the preferred item, but yache is most certainly worth a mention. These may not be the most standard sets that you can use, but they are variations on the original core that can be considered based on what the particular weaknesses of your build are.

Potential Partners:
-
Offensive Latios is a really good partner for this core for a few reasons. First of all, roost latios really helps out with offensive electrics that annoy the core like mega mane, thundy, specs raik, etc. since it resists their elec moves and can heal off ice coverage enough to be able to kill them with draco. Additionally, latios can clear away hazards with defog so that rotom and lando don't continuously take damage from rocks when pivoting around and gaining momentum for your team. However, if you choose to omit defog from your set and run roost 3 attacks Latios, you can run HP Fire to lure in ferro, who really annoys both members of the core and can sap momentum from you as well as giving another mon to pressure volcanion in conjunction with rotom.
- The other main non-mega partner that I want to focus on is Heatran for this core. Foremost, the core really struggles with offensive grass types, namely serperior as well as fairies like clefable and mega gardevoir. Heatran takes on every single serp variant bar random hp ground sets, which are seldom used and frankly not very relevant when discussing a core, so it can really help to take. Moreover, tran can check faries by virtue of its steel typing resisting them and when paired with 2 twave-immune mons, can have one of them pivot it into clef without fearing twave. Likewise, mega garde relies on prediction to beat tran and can straight up die to the thing when it comes in. Furthermore, tran can take pressure off of lando to check dd zardx as well as setting up rocks, allowing lando to run a more offensive set and allow him to beat mons that it otherwise wouldn't be able to. Ultimately, tran can stallbreak with taunt/toxic/magma storm/epower for the core so that the team isn't as weak to stall as it would otherwise be. Also, it gives the core a lati twin switch in, which is really nice.
- Mega Medicham pairs up with this core pretty well since it really appreciates the volturn support that it supplpies. Medicham can come in when rotom and lando let it pivot in and fire off attacks to break down the opposing team. The core really struggles to break fatter mons and necessitates powerful wallbreakers to support it, and medicham is arguably the strongest wallbreaker in the entire team. The boltbeam set can lure in cm bro, who can be really annoying for the core to deal with given a few boosts while also having ice punch to deal with fat grounds that annoy the fuck out of lando. Additionally, bullet punch lets medi rkill diancie who can clean up both members of the core after really little chip damage and offers priority for the team. Finally, HJK is really spammable vs fatter teams that lack a ghost type and can really threaten teams, and ice punch allows medi to also lure in the lati twins and kill them, which is really nice since the lati twins smash this core in half. Medicham is a cool partner to the core for these reasons, but you can insert pretty much any wallbreaker in the tier here since these two mons have such good synnergy with so much shit that it doesn't really matter who you stick on your team. Hope you liked the core! :]

Last edited:
Infernal and i looked through the cores posted since the last update, and we decided to add the following cores to the archive:
  • (link) by Icing On Da Cake: not much to explain here; mega medi + fairy type has been a thing for a long while now. basically, clef is capable of handling mega sableye, making medi's life easier. unlike sylveon, clefable is actually good ;3c.
  • (link) by Infernal: nice cune balance core. premise here is that cune appreciates spike support, and both cune and skarm can spike shuffle with roar and whirlwind.
  • (link) by bludz: these two cover quite a few of each other's weaknesses with gliscor handling clefable, gengar, tyranitar, bisharp, etc. for lati & mega latias handling keldeo, volcanion, etc. for gliscor. additionally, both are nice setup wincons that can tackle different things: SD gliscor does great against stall / bulkier builds, and CM mega lati does better against offensive builds.
  • (link) by daddy's kisses: sand + mega pinsir has been a thing for awhile... not much to say here. tyranitar handles annoying things for pinsir like electrics and talonflame, and pinsir handles annoying things for sand like bulky grasses.
  • (link) by AM: this has been a thing for awhile. you can change up the chomp set to support diancie in a variety of ways, checking annoyances like heatran, mega scizor, magnezone, etc.. additionally, they can overwhelm shared checks to one another like hippowdon and skarmory.
  • (link) by AM: latios handles things like keldeo and mega venusaur for mega gyarados, and mega gyarados has the power to break down fatter builds latios can't (break down).
  • (link) by AM: both are good breakers with nice synergy; alakazam can handle mega venusuar for azumarill, and azu can apply a lot of pressure on offensive builds that can't really switch into it at all.
  • (link) by littlelucario: pretty standard volt-turn core for bulky offensive teams. both are solid glue mons for these types of teams that are capable of checking major threats. when paired with strong breakers, this core really shines.
there were some other cores we were looking at that have clarifications needed to be made:
  • (link) by -Magic-: we like this core, but we don't think that the rotom-w spread currently used is necessary... a standard spread would probably be more optimal.
  • (link) by Jojobobo: this is a pretty standard and proven core, but we think it'd be better with a more standard serperior set.
  • (link) by AM: you mentioned thinking about adding ferrothorn / skarmory to this, and we think that the core would probably be a bit better with one of them attached. the core itself is pretty solid, but even though 3 mon cores are annoying, having one of those would probably make this better.
  • (link) by H.M.N.I.P: not really the same type of thing as the ones above, but we just wanted to let you know that we were still gonna review this one when Nedor isn't busy in order to evaluate whether it should be added or not.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Re: Clarification.

You can change / add whatever to my cores for the thread idc.

Infernal

Banned deucer.
There was interest in seeing the cores at the end of AM's post here, so I sought input from a few people regarding the sets and had them written up.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire / Thunderbolt
- Roost
There are no cores with Luke in the archive, so here is one with one of its better partners: Latios. Latios does a nice job of offensively covering Luke's typing weaknesses, checking Pokemon like Keld, Terrak, and Mega Manec nicely. Latios' ability to threaten/pressure bulky grounds like Hippo, Chomp, and Lando-T is also appreciated by Luke. Having ways to pressure Slowbro is key on teams with Luke because it's a hard wall to it. Latios fulfills this role as a partner well by doing a number to Slowbro with Draco or Thunderbolt. Aside from this all, another way Latios functions as a partner is by drawing in trappers like Tar and Weavile to come in. After Latios is trapped by these Pokemon, Luke has the chance to come in and freely SD on them, possibly sweeping afterwards. Iron Tail is the preferred final move on Luke to stop Clef from being too annoying. The offensive synergy between these two is great overall and makes them a good duo for the reasons mentioned.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon / Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
Another offensive core with a simple premise. Mega Lop has a tough time breaking through several defensive Pokemon like Skarm, Hippo, Tangrowth, Slowbro, Mew, etc. These are all things Hydreigon can pressure heavily. With Flash Cannon, it's also able to possibly lure in Clef, further demonstrating how Hydreigon breaks down many of Mega Lop's answers. In general, Hydreigon does a nice job pressuring the fatter builds Mega Lop doesn't fare too hot against. In return, Mega Lop does what it does best by threatening offensive builds well. This is appreciated by Hydreigon because its match up versus these archetypes isn't as strong compared to when it's up against more balanced builds. When picking partners, covering the weakness these two share to fairy and fighting is important. Pokemon like Jira and Lando-T can make for good partners for this reason and more.

Volcarona @ Lum Berry / Passho Berry
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Dugtrio @ Custap Berry
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Endure
- Stone Edge
The idea behind this core is simple: use Dug to trap many of Volc's checks. Tran is the main one. Other Pokemon like Zard-X, Sand Rush Exca, and Scarf Terrak are also things Custap Dugtrio can trap. Once these threats are eliminated, Volc has a much easier time sweeping. Volc also benefits from being able to QD up on some of the Pokemon Dugtrio is walled by, like Tangrowth and Mega Venu. This isn't too significant of a point though, and the take away message here is that Dugtrio paves the way for a Volc sweep well. Custap Berry Dug is preferred over Sash because it isn't as reliant on having hazards off to trap what's needed. It's a newer set and hasn't ever been in the archive either, so that's a good thing to have representation for. Hazard removal from partners like Latios and Starmie is obviously necessary for this core if Volc is to function maximally.

Bisharp @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice / Grass Knot
- Focus Blast / Grass Knot
Straightforward core that's been used on many HO teams before. Both apply a lot of offensive pressure on various types of teams and can threaten several threats for each other. For instance, Thund-I threatens Bisharp checks like Keld and Loom well. Depending on its coverage, it's also able to threaten or lure bulky grounds like Chomp and Hippo for Bisharp. Thund-I benefits from Bisharp's ability to threaten things like Clef. Non-GK Thund-I also likes having Hippo weakened by a +2 Bisharp. Fairly standard core overall with ways to threaten most playstyles through sheer offensive power and even priority paralysis to stop certain offensive threats from ravaging through the HO builds this core is primarily seen on. The core is flexible in terms of partners, with Pokemon like Keld, Chomp, Mega Diancie, and many others being options.

Last edited:
You can change my core as needed for the thread, I still think that HP Ground > HP Fire on Serp when paired with Zard X. I'm sure the more standard Serp LO Giga Drain set is generally more applicable.

bludz

Well personally I'd rather just run EQ > Roost on Zard it doesn't get enough chances to set up these days. LO Serp is not really standard at all (neither is Giga) but I dont see Sash as that beneficial tbh, regardless this has been a good core for a while now and sets can change based on partners and whatnot

i got bored, so here's a core dump due since last month n_n

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch / Hammer Arm

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance

This is a pretty effective and standard core overall with the basic premise of Mega Metagross being able to eliminate a few obstacles to a Garchomp sweep such as Landorus-T with Ice Punch, Latios with Pursuit, and more obvious threats such as Mega Diancie and Clefable through it's natural STAB. Bullet Punch is a nice move on this core to eliminate Weavile before it can do too much or to simply pick off weakened faster threats. Otherwise, Hammer Arm is an overall decent move weaken Ferrothorn and net super effective damage on Bisharp. Life Orb Garchomp is a nice set that can give slower teams a run for their money with ease. Fire Fang is really nice for luring in Skarmory who otherwise walls these two to hell and back. Overall this is a nice core with a common goal in mind.

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Fire Fang
- Pursuit

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Psychic
- Rain Dance
- Scald

This is probably the more unorthodox core, but effective nonetheless and one of my favorites. The premise of the core is for Mega Aerodactyl to remove checks to Manaphy through virtue of it's STAB combination and coverage, with the goal of Mega Aerodactyl cleaning up offense and Manaphy taking down slower and bulkier teams. Despite Manaphy not being very ommon anymore, it's still a massive threat. Mega Aerodactyl's access to Pursuit and Fire Fang is very important to it, as Pursuit eliminates a slew of offensive threats like Latios, Starmie, and nets over 50% on fleeing Mega Latias. Fire Fang leaves a major dent in Ferrothorn, a huge nuisance to Manaphy, which helps in breaking past it. The Manaphy set is very flexible, but a simple Rain Dance + Tail Glow set is probably the most effective set in the current metagame to break past full stall easier. TG + 3 Attacks is fine too though, except is doesn't realistically break full stall.

Landorus-T @ Yache Berry
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

This is the classic Double Genie core that's still very effective to this very day. Double Dance Landorus-T is simply put a monster against a slew of teams, but regardless it still has it's fair share of checks and counters. Looking at a sample of them, it includes bulky Water-types such as Quagsire and Suicune, and opposing bulky Ground-types such as opposing Landorus-T or the rare Hippowdon you'll come across every once in a while. Thundurus can pretty much eliminate each and every aforementioned check, and slow down faster threats like Mega Lopunny and Serperior. However this core has it's fair share of weaknesses such as Mega Manectric and Weavile, so partners like Latios, Azumarill, Mega Scizor, or even Klefki for Spikes Stack all make pretty nice partners with this core.

p.s: i fixed the rotom-w set from my previous core

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock / Surf

OR

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

This is a really fun core to use on bulky offense and balance teams, made to support a Calm Mind Mega Latias sweep late-game. Nidoking helps CM Mega Latias in the following ways: checking some threats to Mega Latias, such as Clefable and Toxic Heatran, and can soften up walls for Mega Latias to take out later. It also can take out Ferrothorn, a major annoyance to Mega Latias, with Flamethrower, which is really nice. Mega Latias helps Nidoking with faster Pokemon like Keldeo and Tornadus-Therian that could revenge Nidoking, a rather easy task given Nidoking's medicore 85 base Speed stat and frailty. Mega Latias overall gives a nice bulky backbone for Nidoking by checking a ton of threats in the metagame that could prey on Nidoking's bad bulk, which really helps Nidoking out and can help make a bigger defensive backbone with Pokemon such as Rotom-Wash. This core still has problems with threats like Weavile, Kyurem-Black, and Excadrill, so partners like Rotom-Wash, which checks Excadrill and Weavile to an extent (I would still pack a better Weavile check because fuck that mon), are useful. Pokemon that can get Nidoking in safely like Rotom-Wash and Scizor are also useful to help Nidoking wallbreak for Mega Latias. Overall, this is a really fun core that can have a really nice matchup against those common balance or stall-ish teams you see nowadays due to Nidoking's awesome matchup against these teams and how Mega Latias can help against various offensive mons and wallbreakers like Zard-Y and Keldeo. The utility TWave set for Mega Latias can also work for the core as TWave helps Nidoking against faster opponents, but it does lack the win condition status that the CM set has.

Last edited:
Balanced Core: Slowking + Tangrowth

Classic Regenerator core. SpDef SLowking + PhysDef Talgrowth are able to eat up hits from a good portion of the metagame. Slowking handles things such as Heatran, Zard Y, Latis, Tornadus, Keldeo (reliably), while Talgrowth handles physical attackers, such as Azumarill, Excadrill, Mega Lopunny, Tyranitar (kinda), Terrakion (kinda) + others. I use CM on Slowking to make it a bulky wincon, and the Tangrowth is standard PhysDef (av is bad imo). The Slowking EVs eat 2 Hurricanes from LO TornT, but you can add more EVs into Def if you want. The core dislikes things like Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, and Kyurem-Black, things like TTar, Skarmory, and Clefable work with this core well.

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 132 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Tangrowth @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed / Hidden Power Fire / Earthquake / Rock Slide

Offensive Core: Mega Diancie + Volcanion

In short, Volcarona eliminates grasses, steels, weaken waters with burns, and it can soft check things like azumarill and Mega scizor, which diancie likes. In return, Mega Diancie can beat Garchomp, Lat@as, weaken bulky waters, and lure in Chansey with a Phys biased set.
Shit like LandoT is cool to check Excadrill, Lati@s to check electrics, and Bisharp to spam Knock Off, getting rid of annoying items and weakening the opps team in general.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Protect
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Volcanion @ Choice Specs / Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Modest / Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA (can be just 0 atk ivs if not running hp grass)
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb / Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Earth Power

Last edited:
Balance core: Clefable + Mega medicham
+

This core works really well because mega medi destroys all balance team and the combination of clefable and medicham does pretty well versus most HO as well and this clefable set does really well versus Mega Sab stall which is the only stall the mega medicham struggles to deal with stored power help to deal with amoogus and chansey as plus 6 stored power two shot chansey +6 0 SpA Clefable Stored Power (260 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 363-428 (56.5 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO btw stored power is 260 Base power at plus 6 spa plus 6 spdef which CM gives you after 6 CM's and moon blast at plus 6 does 1/3 average to chansey +6 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 199-235 (30.9 - 36.6%) -- 68% chance to 3HKO .Also mega medicham is adamant because I think it is more beneficial to have the extra power than the speed especially give that I am running Fake out and bullet punch .Ice punch over other coverage because lando-t and psychic isnt good type coverage and HJK does enough to mons zen headbutt would hit.

Potential partners for the core:
this core does struggle with HO although fake out plus BP does like 60% to most HO mon and HJK HOKO's most of them this core can tend to struggle with HO so mons to go with core that could work with it are fast priorty use like weavile or talon flame or some sort of scarfer

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Stored Power
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Defensive Core: Mega Scizor + Heatran

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Swords Dance / Pursuit
- Roost

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

This is an incredible defensive core and I'm surprised it wasn't already here. You see this one all the time, and for good reason. Physdef Mscizor is one of if not the best blanket check in the tier, checking Mega Lopunny, Landorus-T lacking Swords Dance, Mega Gardevoir, Kyurem-B, most Mega Altaria, Clefable, Latios, and Mega Diancie to name a few. The Special Defense EVs in tandem with 248 EVs in HP let Mega Scizor avoid the OHKO from special Mega Altaria's Fire Blast, as well as the 2HKO from Mega Alakazam's Focus Blast after Stealth Rock. The rest of the EVs are dumped into defense to make Mega Scizor incredibly physically bulky. Heatran is a great partner for Scizor, roasting Magnezone, possibly its biggest enemy, while also providing a check to Talonflame, Heat Wave Tornadus-T, Mega Charizard X lacking earthquake, and several variants of mons that carry Hidden Power Fire rather than coverage that hits Heatran (Mega Diancie being a prime example).

This core isn't invincible though. Offensive Water-types such as Volcanion, Keldeo, and Azumarill all pose huge issues. Electric-types such as Mega Manectric and Rotom-W can wear this core down very quickly as well just by spamming volt switch. Mega Medicham is another exceptionally threatening mon to slower cores like this, OHKO or 2HKOing both members.

Roost Latios or Latias work exceptionally well with this core, handling a good number of the threats previously mentioned. Mew is also a decent choice for taking special hits and discouraging the opponent from using Scald with Synchronize, with the added bonus of countering Mega Medicham. Offensive mons in general appreciate this core giving them a solid defensive backbone to fall back on, while beating some of the wallbreakers this core cannot handle.

Nedor

thiccc
hello! it is time to update the archive yet again, thank you to all of those putting in cores, it is definitely appreciated :3c

======

(cores by AM / post by Infernal | post)

this is an offensive core based on creating setup opportunities for lucario in a practical sense as it can struggle to take advantage of many pokemon in the tier. latios also softens up some of lucario's checks or immediately threatens them out which is beneficial. its a solid core abusing a pretty underrated sweeper if built with properly.

m-lopunny is known to be an extreme annoyance for more offensively based teams but gets its momentum cut by fatter pkmn already listed in the post, which hydreigon easily takes advantage of to earn free opportunities to soften up the opponent's defensive backbone.

sd bisharp + thundurus; a core found on more offensively based teams. thundurus does a solid job at forcing out / luring in essentially every bisharp check to either be removed or severely weakened for a late game sweep. both of these pkmn are extremely annoying for opposing offensive teams with priority & strong attacks on both ends, while defensive teams even getting troubled by their constant pressure.

(by -Magic- | post)

(note: that is m-metagross) this is an offensive core based around giving sd 3 attacks garchomp the best opportunity at cleaning late game, especially when paired with a secondary physical wallbreaker like metagross to overwhelm & even lure in common switchins to both. sd garchomp is really tough for slower teams to check / beat without taking hefty chunks in your main physical walls, while pursuit m-metagross eases up the offense matchup slightly.

(by Icing On Da Cake & TURBODERP | post 1 / post 2)

despite there already having cm slowbro + av tangrowth in the archive, the core of cm slowking + phys. def tangrowth functions slightly different. this regenerator core is extremely hard to wear down & beat throughout the match especially when they have excellent synergy as well as check the majority of pkmn in each spectrum. it is essentially reversing the backbone to make up for some metagame trends; a more phys. def oriented tangrowth to blanket check a ton of the tier, with the opposite going for cm slowking in this case.

(by HailFall | post)

(note: mega scizor) this is an extremely sturdy defensive backbone that has excellent synergy despite being two steel types. it has been acknowledged on many prominent tournament builds & it provides immense role compression to any team utilizing this core.

======

before i conclude this & you guys could go on to posting more cores, i'd just like to get some stuff straight with a few of the cores not posted to the archive. Cheryl., we found your core to be archive worthy, but at the same time we would like a mention of the utility set with t-wave as well due to the fact that cm may not be optimal on every build including it. kek123, m-medicham + clefable is fine, just one problem in that it is already in the archive; before posting, please make sure to check whether or not your post is already there! if your core has not been added & you're unsure of the reasoning, feel free to pm one of us (myself, starry blanket, & Infernal), we will answer as soon as we can!

Defensive Core: Skarmory + Clefable + Landorus-Therian
+
+

This core is a standard steel fairy ground core very effective since they cover each others weakness very well although water types can cause a problem some of the reason why the core works very well is it has spikes and works with whirlwind so that you can cause extra hazard damage and clefable provides some late game and speed control with CM and thunder-wave
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Edit: removed secound core was al ready suggested again (sorry)

Last edited:
STALL CORE

Jirachi + Tentacruel + Mega-Sableye

This is a very old stall core that I am reviving, I think it's around a year old now. I have been using it quite frequently because I think it has some decent merit over the standard variation of Skarmory/Amoonguss/Sableye. It's not so much a core that sponges hits, but is more useful for the utility and the unique resistances it has. The niches it has over the standard skarmory amoonguss variation are that it doesn't autolose to magnezone as jirachi can stall it out, it handles fire types like tran far better, it can beat togekiss a little easier with jirachi and beats gardevoir very reliably. Overall it is far better hazard control than the standard skarm sab amoong core. I do recommend you try it out over that core, as it works a lot nicer for stall and even for balance with the perfect hazard control it provides. Unfortunately this core alone wont handle hard hitters like landorus, azumarill, garchomp, manaphy or what have you, so pairing it with tangrowth or chansey is essential.

Tentacruel is chosen because it is a lot more comfortable at removing hazards. Heatran and Clefable are the most common rock setters that pressure sableye, and tentacruel beats them both quite comfortably. You also have the added benefit of toxic spikes, which is useful but not essential, you could probably replace it with something else. Acid spray is useful for checking clefable, suicune and non-psychic manaphy, and psychic manaphies usually lose to chansey so this is good. Scald and rapid spin don't need an explanation.

Jirachi; wish spdef is great. You check gardevoir very reliably. You also have the benfits of a strong, flinching iron head which can beat clefable in a pinch. Being able to wish heal tentacruel is essential and very helpful, especially to keep checking keldeo. You could certainly replace stealth rocks on this set for toxic or something like that, up to you really. Rocks are just good because of how well this core keeps them up.

Sableye is the standard set that lets you beat medicham and tornadus and what have you. I think fake out is a pretty lame option because you lose to a lot of setup mons if you do it, gliscor being a big example. I run a bit more speed for a better sableye matchup, but ultimately i dont think it matters. You can just run 4 speed.

This is a decent core, not perfect, but to think that it lasted this long and is still reliable is quite remarkable. You absolutely have to pair it with some sponge mons.

Sableye @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 144 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Foul Play

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Protect

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)