Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Mega Manectric fares well against offence and can be a pain to virtually any team lacking a mon to reliably sponge volt switches, however it struggles with fatter builds and is checked/countered by a few very common mons such as the lati's and clefable. Bandtar is able to capitalise on these shortcomings, while also handling bulkier balances and even stall to an extent. To be quick, ttar helps mane do its job of beating offence, while mane is able to clean up weakened bulky offences or balances. A quick note about clefable, a volt switch+stone edge kills the standard mg clef, while the same combo kills unaware after rocks.

There have been a few other mmane+ttar cores, however I think bandtar functions pretty differently from scarf to warrant its own post. Also, this is a 2 mon core which I think is probably a purer version of it, opposed to versions with keldeo or other partners.

Offensive Fight / Dark / Psychic Core
+
+

It's a very simple core, Lucario and Bisharp work well together, as each other can eliminate or make the opponent think 2 times before showing any counters or checkers (Lucario can eliminate / scary Bulky steel and fairy types like ferrothorn, bulky excadrill, heatran, clefable, gardevoir before mega evolving, while Bisharp can pursuit many psychic types), After seeing that many fighting types, specially keldeo, could easily break my core, Latios was chosen to complete my core, His type is perfect to cover the Fighting weakness and check many threats, thanks to its high speed and high damage output.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch / Ice Punch

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost / Calm Mind

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Last edited:
+
+

It's a very simple core, Lucario and Bisharp work well together, as each other can eliminate or make the opponent think 2 times before showing any counters or checkers (Lucario can eliminate / scary Bulky steel and fairy types like ferrothorn, bulky excadrill, heatran, clefable, gardevoir before mega evolving, while Bisharp can pursuit many psychic types), After seeing that many fighting types, specially keldeo, could easily break my core, Latios was chosen to complete my core, His type is perfect to cover the Fighting weakness and check many threats, thanks to its high speed and high damage output.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
Love the core, but definitely run SD Bisharp opposed to Pursuit, since that really dampers it's effectiveness and forms a nice dual SD core to pressure bulkier and offensive squads immensely. Also, Defog Latios is pretty useless with this core, so 3 Attacks + Roost or even a CM set would be nice here rather than Defog.

Love the core, but definitely run SD Bisharp opposed to Pursuit, since that really dampers it's effectiveness and forms a nice dual SD core to pressure bulkier and offensive squads immensely. Also, Defog Latios is pretty useless with this core, so 3 Attacks + Roost or even a CM set would be nice here rather than Defog.
I'll try it, thanks.

+
+

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
In addition to what Magic said, BP/Ice Punch>Iron Tail on Luc might also make sense on this core. With Bish to pressure Clef (the only relevant fairy as Gard and Diancie outspeed you and ideally in a game situation you'd weaken opposing Azu so you can pick them off with E Speed rather than getting hit with a Jet), as well as fat psychics (which Lati can do ok against as well, i.e. Slowbro), Iron Tail isn't super necessary imo. Changing would make you a bit weaker to M Sable I suppose, but is worth considering with this core.

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm gonna share two cores I've been working on that seem to work nicely.

Balance Core: Seismitoad + Talonflame

images-1.jpeg
+
images.jpeg

Sets
Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will O Wisp
- Roost
- Taunt

This is the classic SpDef Talon set, Roost is for added longevity, Taunt is to help against stall and setup sweepers, Will O Wisp is to hinder physical attackers and Brave Bird is to do damage obviously. 48 Speed is used to outspeed nuetral 100s

Seismitoad @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 20 SpD
Bold/Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power / Earthquake
- Toxic / Knock Off / Refresh

Scald is for damage against opposing mons and to hax burns. Earth Power is used over Earthquake to beat Bisharp if Seis is burnt, but it's your decision. Stealth Rock is for obvious reasons. For the last slot it's up to you, but I think Toxic is your best choice because it helps against CM MBro and other bulky CM mons that could threaten the core. Knock Off is a nice choice though and Refresh can be useful against stall.

This core is nice because Talonflame and Seismitoad cover each others weaknesses perfectly. Seismitoad is great at stopping the fast electrics (bar GK Thundy, which wrecks this core) the strong Rock types, and the bulky waters that Talonflame struggles with while Talonflame deals with Grass types and Charizard-Y, big threats to Seismitoad.

Partners:
Tangrowth-Tangrowth finishes this nicely to make a nice FGW core, and hells against strong attackers like MDiancie and Bisharp that Seismitoad might struggle with.
Mega Diancie-Mega Diancie adds some nice offensive presence to the team, and can block SR nicely.

Threats:
GK Thundurus-This just destroys everything lmao
Weavile-Weavile is a pretty threatening mon in general, but Seis can do ok against it and if Talon gets a burn on it it's done.
Terrakion-Banded set can somewhat be played around for a short amount of time, but SubSD destroys.

Offensive Core: Terrakion + CM Cresselia

images-2.jpeg
+
latest.gif

Sets
Terrakion @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake / Swords Dance
- X-Scissor / Substitute / Swords Dance

Banded Terrak is a pure beast, but if you want you can use SubSD or just SD, although honestly Cobalion would be better for SD.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 104 HP / 200 Def / 52 SpD / 152 Spe
Calm Nature
-Psyshock
-Calm Mind
-Moonlight
-HP Fire / Ice Beam / Moonblast / Toxic
This is an odd Cress spread, and probably isn't that efficient so if anyone has a better one shoot. Speed EVs are to hit 244 Spe, to outspace Ttar and tie with other outspacers. HP evs take 24% from Seismic Toss, making setting up on Chansey easier. Defense and SpDef EVs are honestly just dumped for easier setting up against a variety of attackers. As for the 4th slot, it's up to you. HP Fire is for Scizor, Ferrothorn, Skarmory and actually abig threat to this core, the underrated Doublade. Oce Beam helps you against SD Gliscor Garchomp and Sub SD Lando T. Moonblast is for dark types like Ttar and Weavile on the switch. Toxic beats Unaware mons and MBro

This core highlights two of my favorite Pokemon. The reason I chose Cresselia over Mega Slowbro Mega Latias Reuniclus or even Chansey is because it has two things: Levitate and a Pure Psychic typing. Mega Latias may be a great CM setter, but Cresselia doesn't lose out to Dragons and Faries like Lati does, some of which Terrak struggles with. Cresselia's biggest threats are strong Dark types and bulky steels, so I chose the ever threatening Terrakion, which can 2HKO Skarmory with its Banded set.

Partners:
Serperior-Serp provides a nice Speed tier and helps against offensive teams
Gengar-Same with Serp, it's fast, and can help with troublesome Faries
Keldeo-Checks some big threats the team and adds a fighting spam to the team
Threats:Tornadus-T-Just a great mon in general and can deal with a lot

Bisharp-Terrak can deal with it 1v1 but can't switch in
Weavile-Same as Bisharp, except it gives more trouble to Terrak if it runs Low Kick.
Gengar-If Focus Blast doesn't miss then rip
Serperior-Can set up on Terrak and stalls out Cress with SubSeed
MSlowbro-Can be a big issue if you don't run Toxic on Cress
Doublade-As mentioned before this is a major threat surprisingly. It's incredibly bulky and can Toxic stall Cress or setup SD on it if it's offensive
Clefable-Cress can out-CM it if Magic Guard but needs Toxic to beat Unaware
MScizor-Can't wall Terrak but SD destroys

These two cores are pretty decent and I encourage you to try and build with them!

Edit: I give up trying to do sprites on a galaxy s2 lol

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Not actually any mega pidgeot cores in the archive i could find, so i thought id post one ive used recently

Weather Core: Mega Pidgeot + Sand

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave / Refresh
- Work Up
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock / Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast / Crunch

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Return
- Swords Dance

Mega Pidgeot has a very good matchup against defensively oriented teams, breaking them down with its 100% accurate Work Up boosted Hurricanes. Sand has good matchup against more offensively inclined teams, with Excadrill's blazing speed and high attack in sand. Together, sand and Mega Pidgeot form a potent offensive duo, taking on the majority of the metagame. Aside from just this however, these pokemon have some interesting synergy together. Several sand checks such as Tangrowth, Celebi, Breloom, Slowbro, and Landorus-T are all either OHKOed or 2HKOed by Mega Pidgeot, while several Mega Pidgeot checks such as Tyranitar, Raikou, Slowking, Heatran, and Zapdos are all heavily pressured by Excadrill. These two share one major common check in the form of Rotom-W, which can get overwhelmed very quickly especially factoring in that the set here is Return Excadrill. Tyranitar sets sand for Excadrill, while also providing a check to Thundurus if it holds a Chople Berry, as well as a check to Raikou, Latios, Mega Manectric, and quite a few other Mega Pidgeot checks.

The sets for Excadrill and Mega Pidgeot are pretty self explanitory. Excadrill is running a standard sand sweeper set with Rock Slide swapped out for Return to lure Rotom-W, and a Jolly nature to outspeed Heatran outside sand and outspeed opposing Adamant Excadrill. Mega Pidgeot is running a slightly modified version of the Smogon stallbreaker set with Heat Wave added as an option over refresh. You could attempt to run the Roost + 3 Attacks set, but that set is not as effective against defensively oriented teams and is for the most part outclassed by Tornadus-T. With the Tyranitar set you have several options. You can choose the support set I have put here, but you also have the option of using a Choice Scarf or Choice Band set if that fits your team better. This is simply the set I put here as it provides the most support to Excadrill, which is its main role in this core.

One major threat to this core are Azumarill, due to its high powered Aqua Jets being able to OHKO Excadrill after one round of Life Orb recoil and put a major dent in Mega Pidgeot, while being able to OHKO Tyranitar with Play Rough. Weavile is another issue, outspeeding Mega Pidgeot and OHKOing it with Icicle Crash, while OHKOing Tyranitar with Low Kick and dealing masssive damage to Excadrill with any of its moves besides Ice Shard. This makes Chople Berry Ferrothorn a worthwhile partner, beating both of these pokemon and providing Spikes support as well. If youre going for a more balance-inclined build skarmory is another option. skarmory is also more solid against a variety of other miscelaneous other pokemon this core lacks a solid answer to like opposing Excadrill, Bisharp, and Scizor.

Balance core :Mega sableye + Talon flame + Latios
+
+

There inst really that much to say for this core it kind off obvious but any way al say what I can. Mega sab and latios prevent hazards from being on the field for two long which helps alot for talon since it is quad weak to rocks also talon resists the one type that mega sab is weak to also latios resist water and electric for talon and provides a keldeo counter which is a mon which both of these mons struggle with. Defog latios is very important for this core because it help versus things like clefable rocks which mega sab cant deal with very well theres really not that much to say im surprised this core wasn't all ready one there

set details: Impish nature sab because its paired with talon witch is spdef and theres no point running both of them spdef also 64 speed and jolly nature on talon is for max speed garchomp so you can burn it and for base 100's and excadrill ect.

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Foul Play

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 196 SpD / 64 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Recover

Weather Core : Sand + Clefable
+
+

Clefable works well with sand because it immune to the damage over time done by sand also it resists fighting type which is a type which the stardard dril t-tar is very weak to .Also clefable give the core speed control in thunder-wave meaning that drill can cause damage even out of sand if many of the members of their team are thunder-wave also since clefable inst weak to rocks and it provides it own sweeper potential with calm mind it mean you are not forced in to either SD or spin drill which as a massive strength of clefable with sand also sand work well with clefable becuase clefable doesn't like heatran or talon flame and the sand core deal with them very well also clefable cause tran to pop it balloon if it has one because tran is often the main check to clefable.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Defensive/Balance Core: Mega scizor + Rotom-wash
+

really fun momentum gaining core with zero weakness other than mold breaker earthquake and freeze dry .This core works really well because often it good to run rotom-w this another physically defensive mon because it can be overwhelmed and scizor works really well because it has not weakness like said before and scizor deal with knock off treats that rotom doesn't like also it deal with thing like azumarill which rotom can also have trouble with. On top of that the core also can give lot of momentum to what ever you want to pair with if for example somthing like keldeo would benefit alot. Also rotom help scizor deal with talon flame and fire types a like. Also you can pursuit trap latios for rotom-wash since latios is a common switch in.

set note: the 52 speed on rotom-w if for defensive lando-t and jolly b-drum azu

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Pursuit
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Offensive Core: Weavile + Latios
+

Really fun offensive core than can often do a number to teams . Weavile and latios work well together because one latios defogs for weavile since weavile is weak to rocks also latios counters keldeo which is a common switch in to weavile and every time it free switch in to it and a draco or defog also weavile help latios because it lures in many steel types that latios doesn't like and kills them with low kick for example ferro and heatran it can also lure tyranitar and low kick that too aswell as possibly even other weavile and bisharp .Weavile also provides a check for torn-t and scarf lando-t and provides a check for many other mons .it just a very fast core that deal with each other weakness very will and they both deal with each other main counters weavile lure t-tar and latios counters keldeo.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Recover

enjoy :)

Last edited:
Hello, I want to post a good balanced core with Volcanion on it.

+
+

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Well, a good working balanced core with 1 hardhitter, 1 SR setter and 1 bulky mega. Lando-T covers the electric, ground and rock weaks from Volcanion, Volcanion covers the ice and the water weaks from Lando-T. Volcanion is also good to sponge fire attack moves from faster Heatrans and Charizard Y.Grass type attacks from Celebi, Amoongoos and mVenu can also be sponged by Volcanion. Your main goal is to use the momentum that Lando-T give you with Intimitade+U-turn to bring Volcanion in safetly and then make dmg as much you can (Don't be affraid of using Steam Eruption spam in the first rounds). With a slower U-turn you make sure that Lando-T sponge the hit from other Landos. You also prevent Keldeo from spamming Scald in the first rounds, so you will get some funny mindgames against Keldeo with Lando-T. Mega-Venu is there because of Thundurus, Raikou, Rotom-W and Spore. Raikou, Rotom-W and the god of thunder Thundurus would kick this core out ( Rotom-W is not that big problem, but you would have many mindgames and maybe lose cause too much chip dmg from the rocks ). Mega-Venu is able to handle Azumarill, so you don't need to switch your Choice Specs Volcanion in and you don't have to fear Knock Off. With these Core you are able to take Keldeo out of game because you have a really good check against it with mVenu and Water Absorb Volcanion to absorb Scald. Lando-T helps mVenu out to handle Excadrill and Volcanion is able to sponge every ice and fire attack for mVenu. Latios, Kyurem-B, Mega-Diancie and a well played Thundurus or Thundy with Psychic are a bit nasty to handle. Hope you like these core.

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Cores added to the archive:
  • (link) by Qwanda ~ An effective core to have in the archive. CB Tar does a good job eliminating obstacles like Latios for Mega Manec. Further, it's able to apply a good deal of pressure on the bulkier teams Mega Manec tends to struggle with. Mega Manec's ability to provide free switch in opportunities with Volt Switch allows CB Tar to come in and apply pressure with its monstrous STAB combination. This is really nice because CB Tar does tons of damage to common Mega Manec switch ins like Clef. Once CB Tar softens things up, Mega Manec has the potential to clean up the remains. To round things off, Mega Manec helps CB Tar by checking Pokemon like Keld, Mega Sciz, and several other offensive threats in general.
  • (link) by kek123 ~ This core is another classic and has been used many times before. Tar + Exca is a standard duo, and Clefable fits on sand builds with them nicely because of its ability to check threats like Mega Lop, Rotom-W, and so on. This aside, there isn't much else to say given how long this core has seen use in standard play.
  • (link) by kek123 ~ This is a good and common offensive core to add. Latios helps Weav by providing hazard removal and checking threats like Keld. Weav adds to the cores speed and offenses, assisting Latios by threatening the likes of Torn-T and overwhelming Pokemon like Ferro, Tran, and Tar with its coverage. Because this wasn't mentioned in the core's original description, it's worth considering HP Fire over Defog on Latios. Teams with Weav don't always need or use hazard removal, and having fire coverage for threats like Mega Sciz can be helpful.
  • (link) by HailFall ~ The archive lacked a core with Mega Pidge, and while it's not the most effective Pokemon in OU, it's still worth giving it some representation. We think this core is a good option to add because the core makes good use of Mega Pidge's qualities and supports it well. For example, Mega Pidge does a good job helping sand builds deal with annoying grasses like Tangrowth and such. It's also able to give defensive builds a run for its money, which is appreciated because Exca sand teams can normally end up weak to fatter builds. Exca covers the offensive builds Mega Pidge can often struggle with, while Tar can trap Mega Pidge obstacles like Mega Manec. This wasn't mentioned in the core's original description, but one thing worth mentioning is how Exca can use Spin over Return to give the core a method of hazard removal.
Other cores:

There were a few other cores we said we would add after some edits. Here are the ones being added:
  • (link) by -Magic- ~ There is no question this is a good representation of the Volt Switch + U-turn strategy so many teams use nowadays. Simple idea here in general with little expansion needed.
  • (link) by AM ~ CM Latios doesn't have much representation in the archive and the core here addresses this. These two are self sufficient Pokemon with basic synergy: Clef helps Latios with things like Weav and Tar, while Latios helps Clef with things like Amoonguss, Nido, and so on. The CM core these two form is effective because Latios, for example, can break things like Tran down after some CMs and Clef obviously benefits. Likewise, Clef can choose to run Flamethrower over Wave to lure in Pokemon like Mega Sciz and Ferro to make life easier for Latios. The core is very flexible to build around and can be paired with a number of Pokemon, including various steels like Mega Sciz, Skarm, Ferro, and Tran.
  • (link) by -Magic- ~ Basic Fire + Grass core. Tang covers threats like Keld and Lando-T, while Tran covers Pokemon like Talon, Mega Sciz, and so on. The core is standard and effective, making good use of two great defensive Pokemon to cover a good number of prominent threats. Simple stuff overall.
  • (link) by Cheryl. ~ Nido's a great Pokemon gaining more attention lately, so we definitely wanted some more cores with it in the archive. These two Pokemon nicely cover some big weaknesses for one another. Nido threatens a good amount of the Pokemon Mega Latias dislikes, examples being Ferro, Tran, and Clef. Mega Latias covers Nido's weaknesses to types like water and ground well, which is useful versus threats like Keld. It's also providing a cool win condition with CM and can run sets with Thunder Wave to slow threats down for Nido. The core also works well with other good Pokemon like Rotom-W and is nice to build around overall.
The thread should now be fully updated with everything we wanted to cover from the cores posted so far. Keep them coming guys!

Last edited:
The core which i want to show u is... (Drumroll)

Manectric(Mega) + Hoopa-U
+

(Before starting sorry for the bad english) Okay, now that i get your attention i can show you the real core:

Porygon2 + Volcarona + Starmie
+
+

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Recover
- Magic Coat

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 16 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower / Fiery Dance

This core is really wonderful, This Porygon is a good teammate for Volca, it can use Magic Coat vs all the setter and against Heatran which is one of best volca check, infact after u use magic coat and then u gain the free rocks u can use HP Ground for damage it. Volca obviously need a spinner/defogger and i chose Starmie because has a great synergy with it, in Stamie's moveset there is Thunder Wave which gives to the insect a good support, in fact starmie can paralyze things like Tornadus and make them less dangerous.
That's all i hope u enjoy the core and also the little joke x).

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Considering that Pidge+Sand is the only Pidge core in the archive I'm just gonna post one which I genuinely thought was already in there.

Offensive Core
Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Work Up
- Roost
- U-turn / Refresh

Dugtrio @ Custap Berry
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
Hasty Nature
- Endure
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge / Memento / Stealth Rock
Flying-type+Dugtrio is a tried and tested formula, and Mega Pidgeot is no exception. Dugtrio traps Pokémon which give Pidgeot a headache, most notably including Tyranitar but it also includes Heatran and a few others, and Pidgeot gets free rein as a result. Work Up is the only reason to use MPidge imo, and I have listed Work Up+U-turn because it has quite a bit of flexibility depending on whether it's put against an offensive or defensive team and because having U-turn helps you take advantage of the stuff that Pidgeot baits out to get Duggy on the field safely, popping Heatran's potential balloon in the process.

Edit: I just looked through the archive again and aparently this isn't in there either. Point me out if I missed it when looking:

Offensive Core
(
/
)
Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant / Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Hig Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch
--
Latias @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 152 HP / 104 SpA / 252 Spe (Life Orb only) OR 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe (Life Orb only) OR 76 HP / 180 SpA / 252 Spe (Leftovers only) OR 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor / Defog / Hidden Power Fire
- Roost
- Healing Wish

OR

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost / Defog
- Hidden Power Fire
This is a consistent FDP core that I have used a lot in the past to good success. Bisharp+Lopunny somehow isn't in the archive already, and it is a consistent core for it's Dark-/Fighting-type coverage with STABs alone, with Lop breaking Steels etc. for Bisharp while also baiting out TankChomp to eat an Ice Punch, and with Bisharp taking on Fairy-types like Clefable and Togekiss which give Lopunny a headache. The Lati twins make for good partners for a few reasons; Latias provides the core with Healing Wish support and a consistent check to Keldeo, who otherwise gives this core a headache. The listed spreads do as follows:
  1. Almost always avoid the 2HKO from Specs Keldeo's Icy Wind before rocks with Life Orb while also hitting an LO number.
  2. Analysis spread
  3. Almost always avoid the 2HKO from Specs Keldeo's Icy Wind before rocks with Leftovers while also hitting a Leftovers nunber
  4. Always avoiding the 2HKO from Specs Keldeo's Icy Wind after rocks with Leftovers
HP Fire is also a cool option on some variants to bait out Mega Scizor, who gives this core a headache in general. Latios, on the other hand, provides a less consistent Keldeo check without Healing Wish support in exchange for a lot more offensive presence, HP Fire is listed for the same reason as on Latias (to bait MegaZor) while also helping the Skarm matchup to a much lesser extent than Thunder would. Both also potentially provide Defog support, which helps 'cause they are both grounded--making them susceptible to Spikes.

Last edited:
Gonna drop a fun core I've been using on HO recently

Offensive Core: Mega-Pinsir + Talonflame (aka Birdspam)

pinsir-mega.png
talonflame (1).png

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Talonflame @ Sky Plate
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

====OR====

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Pinsir + Talon is a relic from the XY era that's still a threat to be reckoned with in the current ORAS meta, especially since Pinsir functions extremely well as a balance breaker nowadays. The basic premise of the core is to overload and pressure their shared checks until they no longer pose a threat to one or the other---a common theme with a lot of offensive cores. Stuff like Lando-T, Rotom-W, Hippowdon, and Garchomp can be worn down by Pinsir or Talonflame which opens doors for the other later on. While the two are similar in terms of weaknesses and their primary STAB, they have notable strength differences vs. different playstyles, with Pinsir excelling vs. fatter balances and some semi-stalls while Talonflame is an absolute terror for offensive builds that can sometimes overwhelm Pinsir. It's important to note that this core stacks weaknesses greatly and 100% requires hazard removal, so it's imperative one builds with those two things in mind when using this core.

Threats:
  • 645-s.png
    445.png
    450.png
    Fat Grounds: Pretty obvious weakness---Lando-T OHKOs both with Stone Edge, Chomp has enough physical bulk to force Pinsir and Talon to eat a ton of chip damage, and Hippowdon follows suit with Lando with Edge. They're relatively easy to wear down, though, as the more common two lack recovery and none innately resist flying.
  • 719-m.png
    142-m.png
    248.png
    Rock-types: All three resist flying and OHKO in retaliation with their rock STABs. Not much else to say. Note: Tyranitar has to be scarfed to pose a threat to Pinsir.
  • 310-m.png
    642.png
    243.png
    Fast Electrics: A resistance to the combo's STAB priority flying-type moves plus the ability to OHKO either with electric moves in return make the three of these 'mons a huge roadblock to sweeps for either member. Thundurus and Raikou can be dispatched by Flare Blitz Talon at +2 easily, however.
  • 479w.png
    Rotom-Wash: Wash-tom sports a resistance to flying and can KO either with Volt-Switch once they're chipped into range (or outright OHKO Talonflame with Pump). While it's a huge threat to the two, it's relatively easy to lure and dispatch as well as wear down in general.
  • 248.png
    /
    450.png
    530.png
    Sand: Excadrill in sand is another huge threat to the core, as it commonly carries Rock Slide, which nets a clean OHKO on both Pinsir and Talonflame. Its partners in crime of Tyranitar and Hippowdon are also annoyances to both Pinsir and Talonflame.
Partners:
  • 381.png
    380.png
    Lati@s (Defog):
    The Lati twins make for fantastic partners to birdspam, as they can help alleviate issues with electrics and remove Stealth Rock via Defog. It's worth noting that one can opt for Surf or EQ (preferably with Latios) to help eliminate Heatran and Tyranitar for Talonflame.
  • 184.png
    Azumarill (CB or Belly Drum): Azumarill helps the core greatly by providing a check to fat grounds, rock-types like Diancie, and sand offense. CB or BD works fine here and depends on your team build, with CB providing immediate wallbreaking power and BD turning Azu into an effective additional wincon.
  • 485.png
    Heatran (Power Herb + Solar Beam): Solar Beam Heatran is one of the most effective Rotom-W lures in the meta right now, so it partners quite well. Heatran additionally provides a Talonflame check which aids Pinsir sweeps greatly.

Last edited:
Offensive Core

Volcarona + Latios
Volcarona (M) @ Lum Berry/Passho Berry
Ability: Flame Body/Swarm
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty/Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

Pretty simple combo of sweeper+lure, volcarona is pretty sweet atm but struggles with tran if running bug buzz and has trouble with waters and obviously hazards are a major pain. Latios is a pretty fresh lure for tran, OHKOing it after rocks with a neutral nature, although you could op for timid and rely on a bit of prior damage (which really isn't that hard). It is also a pretty premier defoger and obv beats most waters. In this reguard passho berry could be forgone for lum, although it still prevents being revenged by azu and other Aqua jet users. I guess you could even run tbolt to lure azu too but tbh Psyshock is better and Draco kills most of the other waters.
Anyway thanks for the read.

Last edited:
+
+

Offensive core : dugtrio+ superior+ Mega scizor

This is a really cool core because many of the counters to scizor and serp are killed and trapped by dugtrio for example heatran, magnezone, manectric, volcanion etc also dugtrio suplies a memento giving the core an easier time setting up after it killed its target . Also another reason why this core is pretty cool is that since these two set up sweeper are two of the best in the current meta usually if one of them does not fair to well against a certain team they other mon may put in major work against it for example a team with rotom and keldeo scizor would hate but superior would love to face it. Also having two set up sweeper means you can sack one of them to get an easy trap so that the other set up sweeper can get an easy sweep.

Over all the core is really fun because it causes fast game and the core all ways ensures a strong late game and a good late game sweeper.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Reversal
- Memento

Edit: Thanks to Martin serp now has contrary over overgrow nice spot! I copletly missed it xD

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
+
+

Offensive core : dugtrio+ superior+ Mega scizor

This is a really cool core because many of the counters to scizor and serp are killed and trapped by dugtrio for example heatran, magnezone, manectric, volcanion etc also dugtrio suplies a memento giving the core an easier time setting up after it killed its target . Also another reason why this core is pretty cool is that since these two set up sweeper are two of the best in the current meta usually if one of them does not fair to well against a certain team they other mon may put in major work against it for example a team with rotom and keldeo scizor would hate but superior would love to face it. Also having two set up sweeper means you can sack one of them to get an easy trap so that the other set up sweeper can get an easy sweep.

Over all the core is really fun because it causes fast game and the core all ways ensures a strong late game and a good late game sweeper.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Reversal
- Memento
Just a knitpick 'cause it was obviously a typo from C/Ping the core over, but Serp has Overgrow.

Offensive Core

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

These two cover each other really well. Since Hydreigon struggles with fairy types, Scizor gets rid of them effectively with a swords dance+ bullet punch combo. Hydeigon also covers Scizor's fire weakness with a fire blast. Draco meteor puts dents in most mons. The two can switch for one another when the other is in trouble

Plusle and Minun

This core helped me to go up to 3000 Elo, just abuse thunderbolt and you're going to defeat newbs

---------//\\ The Bird Bird core //\\ --------
Pidgeot mega is kinda forgotten in the OU meta, so i decided to make a core with it:
This mon can acutally give some problem to your opponent if he's not ready, considering that pidgeot is generally left behind when team build. I'm using the standart set, Hurricane as main stab, Heat wave for iron mons, Roost for recovery and U-turn for momentum. This mon will need some back up before being able to hurt your opponent, and for this reason Talonflame and Dugtrio are here.

Talonflame was chosen because it works very well with Pidgeot, it can take care of many mons, or at least weaken or make him think 2 times before showing his face, making Pidgeot's life easier. Talonflame can also work as the shining star, as Pidgeot can hurt the opposite team, Talonflame can easily sweep with swords dance in the late game after Pidgeot weaken threats and Dugtrio killing some certain menaces*.

After my Birds arrive, i needed a mon to do two things: 1) Absorb electric attacks 2) A pokemon to get rid of certain threats*. So, Dugtrio appeared from the very own earth to bless me. Dugtrio can take on many threats such as *Thundurus, Manectric, Heatran, Zapdos, that can destroy my core. Nothing much to say about its set, EQ for stab, Reversal for taking bulky pokemons after sash, Stealth rock for helping Pidgeot / Talonflame sweeping. I'm using Stone edge over Memento so I can kill Thundurus and hurt Zapdos.

Threats:

Electric types: Can resist most of attacks and kill both of my birds. Zapdos specially can kill and resist my pidgeot and talonflame, and if Dugtrio has no way to use sash, it can break my core.

Heatran: My Birds literally can't do nothing against it, if your dugtrio is down for some reason, You pretty much gonna suffer to take this down depending on your team.

or
or

Sand Teams: Sand mons can easily break my pokemons and destroy my core, Hippowdon can deal with talonflame, Tyranitar can deal with my birds and Mega Scizor or Garchomp can pressure Dugtrio before entering on the battlefield.

Fat Waters: Water mons can take on all my pokemons while absorbing the hits.

Importable
imma firin mah lazor (Pidgeot) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- U-turn

Brave Bird (Talonflame) @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Yo, sup? (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Infernal

Banned deucer.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe OR 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Protect

Volcarona @ Lum Berry / Passho Berry
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz / Hidden Power [Ground]
This core was reserved a while back and never ended up being written. It's a trademark core with Volcarona and would be great to feature in the archive, so I am doing a quick write up for this purpose. With Magic Bounce, Mega Diancie aids Volc by deflecting SR against setters like Tran and making other users of rocks more cautious to lay down hazards. Mega Diancie's ability to check Pokemon like Talon and Mega Pinsir is also appreciated given Volc's hate for these flying types. In return for the help, Volc is able to take advantage of several things Mega Diancie is threatened by. These namely include grass and steel types like Mega Sciz, Jira, Skarm, Mega Venu, and Amoonguss. All in all, this is a relatively straightforward offensive core with two very threatening Pokemon. The core is commonly found on teams with Volc, and as far as partners go, Latios and Starmie are good options to provide further hazard control and checks to threats like Keld. Standard glues like Lando-T and Rotom-W are also common partners due to how well they can help the core deal with threats like Exca, Talon, and Azu.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake / Roost

Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

OR

Serperior @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ground
- Glare
This was posted by Jojobobo here and the sets have been edited to what's in the hide tags above. It's another well known and effective core we'd like to add, so here's a quick run down. The cool thing with this core is how these two Pokemon can use certain moves to lure/weaken/eliminate one major shared check: Tran. For example, Zard-X can use EQ to kill Tran and pave the way for a Serp sweep. Similarly, Serp can either use HP Ground to accomplish the same goal or run Leech Seed to systematically wear Tran down into Zard-X range when it's lacking EQ. This aside, the core has your typical Fire + Grass synergy. DD Zard-X is mainly annoyed by Pokemon like Lando-T, Hippo, Slowbro, and Azu. This is where Serp comes in, pressuring these Pokemon well. In return, Zard-X threatens Pokemon like Mega Venu and Amoonguss. When Serp is packing HP Ground over HP Fire, Zard-X's ability to handle Pokemon like Mega Sciz and Ferro also becomes useful. The core is relatively flexible overall and the sets can be tailored towards your preferences or team's needs.

Once a few more cores are posted by others, we'll go through them all and decide which ones to add. Until then, keep them coming!

Last edited:
Offensive Core: Mega pinsir + Lucario-Ice punch lure
+

The general idea behind this core is that lucario will SD against a steel mon like ferro or heatran on the switch to lando-t or garchomp and then ice punch and it dies and then mega pinsir will just destroy the rest of the team since lando-t and garchomp are not only two of the most common wall but also really the two wall that its the hardest to play against with pinsir also lucario does well against rotom-w and a +2 CC is a garented HOKO with out rocks +2 252 Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 309-367 (101.6 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO which is good for pinsir since it really struggles with rotom-w .Also thay work well together because it two SD mons with strong priority so it means there a good chance one of them will have strong mach up versus the team they play against.

edit: Lucario has been chanced to Adamant as suggested by ericaroselia!
reasoning: it get more kill with ada when +2 espeed also it doest out speed many relevant treats other than excadrill with jolly.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Offensive Core : Keldeo + Tyranitar
+

I checked like 5 times I was the certain that some body would of already made this core , I say this yet some body probably has and i missed it all 5 times lol . On to the core well this core works really well because keldeo doesnt like to face latios and latias because this counter it and tyranitar pursuit traps latios/as and so then leaving keldeo the destroy the rest of the team this may happen with other mons that it trap for keldeo but the lati twins are the most common also keldeo counter/checks both weavile and bisharp which t-tat doesnt like also t-tat switch in versus talon flame two which is good for keldeo since the general idea of core is simple il leave it at that.

set details:
In my opinion I think when running keldeo with a pursuit trapper you should run spec becasue it keldeo best set an it best takes advantage of the lati twins being gone .Also on t-tar all three set could work with keldeo it just depends on the rest of you team you will most like not use band because to choice spec/band user on the same team is hard to get away with but if you can get away with it it well worth it. scarf is generally best because it bring speed control and it means you can out speed the lati twins and couple berry can work if you need a zam gengar or thunderus answer . hidden power bug keldeo to help with celbi starmie slowbro etc and it force the lati twins to roost so there a free switch to t-tar.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch

OR

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

OR

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Core: Volcanion + Aerodactyl

Volcanion @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Solar Beam

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Pursuit
- Ice Fang / Aqua Tail

I posted a team with this core in OU Bazaar. This core is based on both luring and trapping, which are two of the best ways to KO specific targets on the opposing team. Simply having type synergy does not mean that your core will necessarily break past the mons that each member needs - so while their counters are different, opposing cores can switch in and out of each. These two pokemon together attempt to break past such cores with some smart switches and well timed plays.

Power Herb Volcanion may not be as good as Specs, but it is quite strong at luring opposing Water-types, given that these are its primary switch-ins. A Modest Nature gives the best possible rolls on Solar Beam against the bulkier waters like Suicune and Slowking, so that you need less chip damage to take them out. The other primary switch-ins to Volcanion are the Lati twins, which can be trapped by Aerodactyl after they've taken some chip damage (maybe a burn from Steam Eruption will help achieve this).

If Latis can be removed by Aerodactyl, then Volcanion obtains a strong opportunity to clear out some bulky Waters. These are some of the best answers to Aerodactyl since they can take any hit and threaten back with super effective Scald. If Volcanion can successfully remove a pokemon like Slowbro or Gastrodon, or even weaken one like Suicune, Aerodactyl's matchup against the opposing team will be much better.

Beyond the premise of this core, these two also sport some pretty solid type synergy. Volcanion can check Steel-types like Jirachi, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Mega Scizor, and threaten Ground-types like Landorus-T and Hippowdon, and Aerodactyl does not appreciate any of these mons. Aero in return can check faster threats to Volcanion like Thundurus, Tornadus-T, Mega Medicham, Mega Heracross, and Terrakion among a variety of other fast offensive threats if they've been weakened a bit. What's cool is that Volcanion can also switch into both Bullet Punch and Aqua Jet - the super effective priority moves against Aerodactyl, and Aero helps cover up Volcanion's Ground-type weakness which is often stacked when paired with other good synergy mons like Tyranitar or Mega Diancie.

As an alternative option I think a Toxic Volcanion can also be effective in this core but does lack the immediate power of Solar Beam.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Roar

Ability: Solar Power
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

OR

EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpD / 60 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Dragon Claw

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect

In recent times, suicune has recevied a long overdue bit of notice. With hoopa-u's banning the meta shifted to be a bit more balanced. This suited suicune, who enjoys a place on balance team or semi stall/stall archtypes, but the main change for suicune was the realisation of the strength of his calm mind + roar set. Not only is suicune the win condition the crocune set was once famous for, this suicune can forfill that role and that of a great water tanky like role role + late game cleaner all at once. While a lack of sleep talk means suicune can't set up calm mind sweeps early in the match. He can however thanks to roar + great defences + scald, utilise his great water typing, to provide an early to mid game tanky wall that can deal with difficult threats such as weavile and tyranitar, with the potential threat of burns from from scald to cripple or threaten, and shun off would be set up sweepers, thank to roar.

The core makes up a very classic fire/grass/water defensive core, that utilises the complimentary ressistances of each to cover the others weaknesses.

Suicune

Suicune set, as mentioned prievously, is the now popular calm mind + roar set. Suicunes main role in a nut shell is, to lead off the match and fire of a few scalds, to either spread burns or soften up threats with a bit of damage to put thing's in the ko range for the rest of the team to finnish off, or if using charizard's dragon dance set, to help him net more ko's. The second role is to tank hits, while spreading burns with scald and roaring out potential pokemon that use suicune as setup fodder, like mega charizard-x, who suicune cannot hope to hurt without a few calm minds under his belt. The finnal role is to sweep late game with a few calm minds under his belt and win the match.

Suicune helps his core mates in a few ways. With Charizard, suicune can help him set up a dd by crippling or weakening his counters, pokemon such as garchomp are unable to set up against suicune, thanks to roar. In turn turn many of these pokemon such as azumaril are crippled by a potential scald burn. In turn mega charizard is able to set up, in the face of many would be counters such as scarf tyranitar. For an example of the pokemon suicune can handle, charizard can have trouble with, the following pokemon from clefable, and A+ to A- are stoped by suicune in some way

Clefable- can't set up unless last pokemon
Diancie mega -countered by suicune
Lando-t - countered by suicune
Tyranitar- countered by suicune
Azumaril -checked by suicune
Excadrill (during sand) countered by suicune
Garchomp - countered by suicune if charizard has not set up first
loppbunny mega - hard checked
medicamp-mega - checked by suicune
Slowbro - checked by suicune (threat of burn hurts it alot)
Talonflame- countered by suicune
Gliscor- counterd by suicune
terrakion -counterd by suicune

notables from b+ include hippowdon. This assumes that rest deals with stats and scald burn threat forces pokemon out as they would be redered useless while burned. Topic of supports for the core aspect of suicune mentioned later.

For the charizard-x bulky set, which is inclined more to support suicune, much remains true, but with no support specifically to set up.

Suicune supports ferrothorn by dealing with one of ferothorns biggest thorns primarily -heatran. Suicune dislikes being taunted by stall breaker heatran, but without solar beam it fairs poorly with a well supported suicune as a scald easily wears the set down. Specially defensive tran, suicune fairs more poorly and won't go far on taunt or roar variatnts, but will otherwise destory offensive sets. In addition suicune checks or counters more threats to ferrothorn such as terrakion, keldeo, hp fire diance, fire blast gachomps, talonflame and so on. Suicune can take advantage of ferrothorns hazards and roar it's heart out, to rack up some hefty residual damage for the team.

I have listed two potential sets for charizard in the core, but I will go over the DD set first, which I see as better, but overall, it's team preference.

Dragon dance charizard-x brings to the table, a potent fast + strong sweeper to the core, and it's team. With dragon dance, charizard can up it's great attack and pretty meh speed to new hieghts, allowing charizard to plow away with it's stab coverage, most opposing threats with the reset dealt with by suicune, ferro or a supporting team member outside the core. The set is simple, all out dragon dancer with max speed and attack + a jolly nature, which allows chaizard to reach nearly all choice scarfg users and any basically any that pose a threat to him, mainly landorus-t. Roost allows charizard to heal off any damage (vital as charizard is very weak to hazards and is worn down by recoil), flare blitz hurts like a truck, dragon claw is very reliable dragon stab, and dragon danc eof course allows the set up.This threating set can be used mid to late game to cripple the enemy team, a point in which suicune takes his chance to come in, and set up. Charizard deals with pesky steel types such as ferrothron and anoying grass types like again ferrothorn, which suicune hates, in addition to the coverage provided by his very dependable dragon stab.

The other set is a much more suited one to stallish stype teams and supportive of suicune and the set corrosponds to being able to deal with threats such as thunderus-i with it's special defence investment, and cripple the ushall counters to charizard with wil-o-wisp. Jolly + 60 Spe evs allows charizard to out speed the likes of Adamant Excadrill, Jolly Mega Scizor, and Jolly Bisharp.

Charizard dd suports suicune, by mainly leaving him a late game clan up oppertunity. Ontop of this, suicune is very vurenable to bulky grass types, however they are for charizard a set up oppertunity or a dragons lunch. Bulky steels suicune has no love for either, and while suicune can help cripple them for charizard, unless it can set up cm it's going no where and this is where charizard comes in to again use them as set up fodder. Charizard can also set up and check electric types such as mega manectridcf, through volt switch greatly diminishes this. Some other notable pokemon charizard checks for suicune include his twin mega, who won't be able to muscle past so easily due to a double ressitance to grass and fire.

Bulky Wil-o-wisp is much more direct supporting role of suicune. Increasing his effrective bulk by burning physical attacker, so he can freely deal with special attackers, with calm mind boosts. The specially defensive spread allows charizard to support suicune in a way ferrothorn cannot, counter thundrus-i with fighting coverage. Among checking the ushall susspects of charz dd, this set is more placed to deal with electrics and many of those pokemon much more reiably in general, providing a counter, not just a check.

ferrothorn can be a passive pokemon at the best of times, due to his poor stab coverage. Charizard is here to help, some what....., but no seriously on the things not left for suicune such as fighting types like terrakion or tyrantar CB, charizard deals with bulky grass types like before, again yummy set up fodder for charizard or simply lunch. Althrough foul play is painful due to charizards high attack, charizard can deal with the pesky mega-sablye as a check or simple flat out ko weakned ones, the immunity to wil-o-wisp help alot. Charizard can threaten counters such as zapdos, volcanion, charizard-y, mega scizor ect. as a soft/check.

The bulky wil-o-wisp set supports against ferrothorns counters, more affirmly. Dealing with fire types like heatran with ease, thanks to a specially baised spread, as well the like of mega manectric, even more so mega sablye than dd, grass and steel types.

Ferrothron is here as the hearty support of the core, he provides entry harzards, namely spikes. Spikes is listed as it's better if other team mates deal with setting up Sr, as both a dd charizard and suicune really love that residual damage provided. Leech seed allows ferrothorn to hit would be switch ins and drain them with protect before switching into an apropriate counter or check, which will be healed a bit from leech seed, or switch out in the event of imminent set up.
Power whip allows ferrothorn to avoid being passive, while hitting the bulky water types, namely azumaril for super effective damage. The eves and nature are standard for mixed wall ferrothron.

Ferrothron is a pretty big asset for suicune. Not only can he handle the electric types that give suicune hastle, and like charizard, just use bulk grass types as set up fodder for entry hazards, but the hazards he supplises wearts down the enemy team, quickly making a suicune sweep an eventuality, as suicune finds it's self needing less CM's to sweep, thus avoid taking damage and lowering the need to rest and just flat out sweep.

Ferrothorn for charizard, sets up hazards, making it much easier to sweep away opposing teams, first and foremost. After this ferrothorn walls alot of counters to charizard, the biggest, azumaril w/o super power, even with it it ferrothorn poses a problem for azumaril if it's koed by power whip, or worn down by leech seed, iron barbs, and protect combination, meaning the rest of the rest of theam finds an easier oppertuinity to handle it, if they are not already in a possition to do so.

The core together allows for the countering of dangerous threats such as tyranitar, weavile and azumaril. While racking up redidual damage via roar from suicune spikes from ferrothron and then to proceed to sweep with charizard or suicune and then clean up if need be by the latter.

Thing's to consider to add to the core

Cleric's
Clerics greatly help the core and the team it's on. Suicune like like to play the wall game early on, forcing him to often rest. Having a cleric means that this is issuse is migtigated entirely. Not only does this apply to suicune, but can rid any other pokemon of satus, which charizard in particular hits, while ferrothorn despises burns. Clefable presents it's self as rippe canidate, as it creates a new fairy/dragon/steel core and the ressitances fairy entails.

Stealth Rock

Stealth Rock is very important to any team, and with the ideal situation that the core is supported by a user of SR, makes users of this move very handy to add ontop of the core. Hippowdon can help deal with thunderus-i, great if charizard is running dd.

Hazard Control

Essential, vital, and manitory, all words used to describe the importance of this being on the same team as the core. Charizard needs hazard control, there cannont be any disscusions or debates about it, it is essential period. Good canidates include zapdos, mew and excadrill, as examples.

Last edited:

Infernal

Banned deucer.
  • by kek123 (link)~ This core is ancient and I am surprised it's not in our archive already! Everyone knows how this core works and how often it's used. The general idea is Tar traps a large amount of Keld's answers and can use several sets to do so. Once they are trapped, Keld becomes much more threatening. Iconic cover overall with various partners to choose from.
  • by Martin. (link)~ A very well known HO core, seen on builds like the top one listed in the sample teams thread. Bisharp does a very good job weakening various checks to Mega Lop, examples being Hippo, Skarm, and Tank Chomp. Other obstacles to Mega Lop, like Slowbro and Clefable, are also threatened by Bisharp. Once many of these Pokemon have been broken down, Mega Lop has an easier time doing its thing. Similarly, Mega Lop can use Ice Punch to place Pokemon like Tank Chomp in range for Bisharp's +2 Sucker.
  • by daddy's kisses (link) ~ Classic bird spam core that's been around forever. Both of these Pokemon share similar checks and can overwhelm many of them for one another. For example, Rotom-W is often used to handle both core members. After eating a +2 CC from Mega Pinsir, Rotom-W will no longer be healthy enough to handle Talon. Straightforward core overall with a long history in OU.
  • by Martin. (link) ~ Another well known and classic core lacking from the archive. Dug is a commonly associated partner with Mega Pidge. This is because it's able to trap many of the threats Mega Pidge has issues with, such as Tar, Tran, Mega Diancie, Electric types like Mega Manec, and so on. Other than this, there isn't much else to say. The core has been around for a long time and is one of the more effective ways to use Mega Pidge.
  • by bludz (link) ~ I found this to be surprisingly effective after watching bludz use the core over the past few days. With Power Herb and Solar Beam, Volc often finds itself luring in and either heavily weakening/eliminating Pokemon like Rotom-W, Slowbro, Cune, and Gastro. After they are gone, Mega Aero has an easier time doing its thing. Other nuisances to Mega Aero (Skarm, Hippo, Mega Sciz, and so on) are also threatened by Volc. In return, Mega Aero gives back by being able to trap threats like Latios. Nice core overall with some interesting synergy.
There are one or two other cores we will probably add. However, there are some minor things we'd like to see mentioned with the cores and I'll message the users who posted them to discuss this. Anyway, I noticed there are 0 cores with Crawdaunt in the archive. It's a really cool Pokemon and we'd like to have some added, so I am posting one below. We encourage anyone else who has effective cores in mind with Crawdaunt to mention them, as we are looking to include more than one!

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
I've used this several times to good effect. Mega Lop has a tough time breaking through several defensive threats, examples being Hippo, Skarm, Tang, Slowbro, etc. Craw can break them easily (especially after +2) and does a good job beating up the defensive teams Mega Lop struggles with in general. Once things have been broken down and softened up by Craw, Mega Lop usually does a nice job cleaning up the scraps. Although Craw is really strong and threatens fatter builds well, its speed is lacking. This makes Craw's match up versus offensive builds trickier. Because of this, Mega Lop's high speed is useful to pick up the slack in this regard. One more thing worth mentioning is how both core members can overwhelm Pokemon like Tank Chomp for each other. For example, Tank Chomp won't be able to annoy Mega Lop as much after eating a Knock from Craw. Similarly, after eating an Ice Punch, Tank Chomp won't be as bothersome for Craw. Even Pokemon like Clefable can be heavily weakened by Craw and revenged by Mega Lop after, further showing how these two work together. From experience, main threats to the teams with this core are Talon, Loom, Keldeo, and Fairy types. Pokemon like Jirachi, Lando-T, Thund-I, and Latios work well with the core for this reason.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Most of Crawdaunts partners are based on cores that overload each others checks. Crawdaunt + Bisharp / Weavile / M-Gyarados to overload Keldeo is one, the one you posted is another to overload grass types. It's sort of dependent on the team, sometimes the area you're actually battling in to, if there's a lot of sand Crawdaunt can have some appeal. Only thing I don't like about implementing cores with Crawdaunt, at least too many, is none of them are actually concrete. Like I posted the Victini + Crawdaunt one but nobody would really go out of there way to use that on a regular basis and Crawdaunt is more supplemental than it is a focal point of a team / core to myself. It's also a mon that is known for its SD set but if you're playing in an area or an opponent who is known to use Heavy Heavy Stall (as in below even Zapdos speed tiers) you can throw Band for some hit and run do more than 50+ each hit (minimum as in sometimes you're probably just ohkoing something) and break those kind of teams apart to since Band will run Crunch and normally Adamant.

Infernal asked me earlier so I guess I'll put it here for clarity but the Char-X / Special Water / Spiker cores usually have a lot of issues against balance breakers, think Terrakion and Medicham, and you're delegating the other half of your team to cover this a lot. They form a pretty basic backbone but it's kind of hard to make a core that's relatively unique in this aspect. Like Char-X, Slowbro, Ferro is a really old school XY one people still use but it hates Spikes and it hates some grounds like certain variants of Lando-T, which is why you see these a lot of times have Gliscor / Lando-T besides them. I was never a big fan of showcasing three mon cores since you limit your options a good amount and sometimes even forcing your hand entirely of what the build would be.

Edit: I know there's a core for Tyranitar / Excadrill but I think there should be a core solely for Mega Tyranitar / Excadrill alone. Standard sets will be fine.

Edit 2: At below, M-TTar should always be running Crunch.

Last edited:

Martin

Edit: I know there's a core for Tyranitar / Excadrill but I think there should be a core solely for Mega Tyranitar / Excadrill alone. Standard sets will be fine.
On it

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Punch / Ice Punch

Excadrill @ Life Orb / Air Balloon
Jolly / Adamant Nature
(IVs: 29 HP (Life Orb only))
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide / Return
- Swords Dance / Rapid Spin
This core works similarly to Tyranitar+Excadrill but it utilises Mega Tyranitar's attributes over it's base form. Namely, it has a higher speed tier for an offensive Tyranitar variant as well as better bulk, allowing it to set sand repeatedly with a little more ease than things like ScarfTar or BandTar. The fact that they share switch-ins is nice because it means that they can weaken them for one another nicely. Crunch is there for a consistent STAB for cleaning with, whereas Fire Punch and Ice Punch are listed for their ability to nail Lando-T and Skarmory reliably, easing the matchup for Excadrill. Jolly is listed first on Excadrill 'cause it is generally better in the current meta for it's ability to aid the matchup vs. opposing sand, and your choice between Rock Slide and Return is kinda dependent on how well your team deals with Rotom-W and also whether you carry Swords Dance (don't run Return alongside Rapid Spin).

Edit: AM done

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)