Project ORAS NU Theorymons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega-Audino with regenerator makes it basically the perfect cleric, able to wish pass much more reliably. And with Moonblast, it gets that extra little bit of oompf it might sometimes need. But out of the two, regen definitely makes much more huge of an impact. Being able to heal itself at the same time it heals others is very nice, and it doesnt have to risk wishing at low health time to time. And the offensive sets can heal themselves reliably! To be completely fair, it wouldn't probably stay in the tier if it gets Regenerator.

Poison touch Garbodor wouldn't make much of a difference. At the moment, Aftermath + Rocky Helmet is a really cool combo that whittles down physical attackers. All poison touch does is add a poisoning chance on moves that make contact. But it doesn't do much with it using moves like drain punch against steel types or even Focus Blast, which doesn't make contact at all. I suppose the best you could get out of it is getting a PSN on Regirock and Rhydon, but they already risk it switching into a Gunk Shot, and get poisoned by toxic spikes too if they are on the field.

Flash Fire Pyroar doesn't make sense to me personally, but it would make Pyroar able to pivot into other fire-types much easier, as it's quite frail to do it otherwise. Having a nice normal stab alongside with a boosted Fire Blast makes it a threat when gaining the position. There arent many things that safely switch into Pyroar after that.

Regirock with Solid rock sounds pretty insane. Given it's insanely bulky already, able to safely stay in on some super effective moves to Thunder Wave for example, it would be very tough to break down. It also avoids 2hko from Tauros, allowing it to go fully specially defensive, making it even more tough to bop with coverage moves by the mons it switches in on. It would also give it a needed niche over Rhydon and Steelix as a stealth rocker.

Guts Skuntank deals with ghosts. Done. And it gets a nice attack boost to justify the physical set, making it a bit more threatening to switch into.

Nominating Rotom-Fan + Hurricane. I know, I know, sounds very boring, and it is. But the point is to give it a stronger flying stab, and then there is the added fact that all the other Rotoms bar regular Rotom learn a high power high miss chance move. It would only be reasonable :D

Last edited:
Regen Mega-Audino's improvements are extremely obvious, allowing it to be a super centralizing defensive threat, as well as boosting the offensive capabilities of sets like offensive cm or resttalk. It no longers has worries about needing to keep its own wish, instead it can gain 33% back after wishing, in a tier where some common pokemon struggle to do more than 40 to it.

Poison touch Garb is dong, shouldn't have been put tbh.

Agreeing with plaessyn here, all fires have fighting coverage or can chew a hit and kill pyroar anyway, its nice for fblast dino i guess.

Solid Rock regi is probably tied for regen maud with levels of disgusting, it's able to chew so many super effective hits now, that if combined with something like regen maud, seems like something the tier won't break.

Guts skuntank nullifies like every ghost lmao

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
My opinion pretty much correlates with the others so i won't say too much about the slate.

Regenerator Mega-Audino: Regenerator would make Mega Audino even more annoying to deal with than it already is. Like the others said being able to heal others while healing itself would become Audinos main role. With Moonblast we can run more offensive sets like Calm Mind + 2/3 Attacks. As a consequence Audino would definitely become S-rank and potentially jumping to the next tier since it would outclass Alomomola who does the same job.

Poison Touch Garbodor: I completely agree with what Plaessynplaeae said

Flash Fire Pyroar: Again not a big improvement. I guess getting the boost is nice and all but we have so many Fire checks that it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Solid Rock Regirock: Would definitely make Regirock A-rank worthy. Avoiding 2HKOs, the choice of putting different EVs because of its new ability, setting rocks/sun, maybe even a Sliggoo-like set with Curse and max Spdef.

Lastly Guts Skuntank: As ChrystalFlachion said "The ultimate Ghost trapper".

As ChrystalFalchion previously mentioned these mons are already good with what they have, so next time let's try to work with more uncommon mons who need something different movepool- or ability-wise to make them more viable.

My own nom:

Switch Garbodors Attack and Special Attack stat! Garbodor has an amazing specialbased movepool and you won't have to worry about missing Gunk Shot. You can run Tbolt for Xatu, Giga Drain for the bulky Ground types and Dark Pulse for the Psychics.

Forgot to make a nomination with my post: Armaldo with Skill Link and Pin Missile. Excellent base 125 Attack and twin 125 (factoring in Skill Link) STABs would certainly give Armaldo a niche over Sandslash as a Rapid Spinner, and its STABs combined with Earthquake have great netural coverage.

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
You may submit theorymons any time you want, but please try to keep it at a maximum of 1-2 submissions per post. When submitting a theorymon, please don't make it mindless like Aerilate Swellow. Make it actually be logical, and give it an actual use.
please read the OP guys. Keep up the discussion :)

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mega Audino + Regenerator: This wouldn't be NU in a million years. One of Mega Audino's biggest weaknesses is how easy it is to wear down once it's Mega Evolved, giving it a conflict of interests between passing Wishes more effectively and tanking things in general more effectively. This completely circumvents that. This thing would mostly outclass Alomomola and the only reason you wouldn't use it on a defensive team would be if you needed Mega Steelix instead, but Escavalier / Bronzong / Registeel exist so this is somewhat of a moot point. EDIT: You're giving it Moonblast too? Blimey. ._.

Garbodor + Poison Point: This would be decent but probably less useful than Aftermath overall. The main niche would be combining this with a powerful Hex user like Spell Tag Rotom or LO Haunter to block Rapid Spins and take advantage of the random poisons. Even then you might poison something by accident that you want to burn instead if you run a bulkier spinblocker like Mismagius or Gourgeist so overall I think this would remain a niche option. Garb would stay at A+ rank because it mostly wouldn't use it.

Pyroar + Flash Fire: This would improve Pyroar a lot and would probably be close in terms of tipping it over to RU. Pyroar already likes switching into Mismagius and other Will-O-Wisp users; getting a 50% more powerful Fire Blast for doing so is insane. It also gives Pyroar another useful immunity to help it get into battle (although it still loses vs AV Magmortar, Combusken, Bulky Zard, etc if it can't KO them with Hyper Voice) and gives Pyroar some more defensive merit on a team. I think this might push Pyroar up to S rank but its Speed tier probably isn't good enough for that.

Regirock + Solid Rock: This is a pretty cool change, basically makes this the ultimate Fire-type check with T-wave, also makes it very difficult to beat with even STAB Earthquakes (DD Rhydon barely 3HKOes with unboosted Earthquake for crying out loud). I think a SpD Curse set would probably become its best set: very little is going to OHKO it other than Eggy Leaf Storm or a critical hit. Fwiw, this set would be able to 1v1 Steelix with Rock Slide (even without flinches); it happened to me once and Solid Rock makes it much more likely. I think the Curse set would bring it up to B+ rank tbh.

Skuntank + Guts: This is hilarious in how well it would screw over Ghost-types that try to Burn it. Doesn't really help trap Psychics but it makes Skuntank a good switch-in to Mesprit's Thunder Wave I guess. A Flame Orb set with Sucker Punch / Play Rough / Poison Jab / Pursuit could be a decent gimmick, no Gunk Shot or Switcheroo sucks though. I think the main outcome would be an increase in Spike stack as Ghost-types suddenly become a lot easier to deal with. I'd move this up to A rank imo.

Some pretty cool ideas, although I think Mega Audino starts to fall into the brainless category tbh... anyways here's my suggestion!

Archeops + Dragon Dance: Okay I know what you're thinking but listen. Sure Archeops would be able to sweep through unprepared teams easily with a set like Dragon Dance / Acrobatics / Earthquake / Stone Edge... but when does it actually get the opportunity to set up? The opponent can just stay in with a fair few mons and knock it into Defeatist range if it tries to set up prematurely, and any priority attack will send it reeling. Maybe it would use Substitute to block Sucker Punch etc... but if it comes on Stealth Rock and Substitutes you're literally 1 HP from Defeatist which is pretty amusing. I think this would probably push Archeops up to A+ but it'd still be manageable unless you sacrificed all your checks and it came in on something like... erm... bulky Scyther I guess? This would basically be the definition of high risk / high reward and a pretty cool threat for NU to centralise around maybe?!?!

Last edited:

Shadestep

volition immanent
Gonna post this a bit earlier than usual because exams are in the way. Thanks for the discussion guys, keep up the good work!
+ Regenerator & Moonblast
+ Poison Point
+ Flash Fire
+ Solid Rock
+ Guts

Vote for your two favourites! I'll probably let this run this from now through Monday, or Sunday.

I'm voting only for Flash Fire Pyroar, the rest is broken (megadino/regirock) or makes no sense (skuntank) or it's just bad/outclassed by current ability (garbodor).

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Not as interesting as the previous slate but i'll go with
+ Solid Rock
+ Regenerator & Moonblast

Skuntank
Regirock

I'll agree with Falchion for the most though. (There is one theorymon idea for an A-rank mon that I would like, and that's primarily because flavor wise it makes sense, but it doesn't get the move in the actual games (I'm talking about Rapid Spin Ludicolo BTW))

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pyroar and Skuntank. I think most of the submissions were reasonable apart from Mega Audino. More low-rank mons would be cool though.

Shadestep

volition immanent
alright alright ALRIGHT! I get the hint, no more stupidly broken Mons. n_n

1. Skuntank + Guts (12 Votes)

2. Regirock + Solid Rock (10 Votes)

3. Mega-Audino + Regenerator & Moonblast (5 Votes)

4. Pyroar + Flash Fire (4 Votes)

5. Garbodor + Poison Point (0 Votes)

Thanks to everyone in the NU room, especially Orphic for picking cool slates for this week!
New slates!!!
+ Roost
+ Earth Power
+ Adaptability
+ Fighting-type & Close Combat
+ Close Combat & Drain Punch
Happy Posting! Discuss what impact these changes would have on the metagame, what it would change for the Pokemon, what VR Rank they would have, potential movesets, etc!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)