Social Online Dating

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Man, y'alls just refuse to accept the possibility that I'm not really a psychotic I-word and maybe, just maybe, I'm actually a decent guy who's simply unlucky in love (as I am unlucky in everything else) and understandably pretty sad about it after an extended period of time.

Unlike in real life, Blazade, the impersonal nature of screen-to-screen interaction brings out the worst in a lot of people. Lack of conversation starters is but one reason to avoid swiping people who don't fill out their bio. Anyone who doesn't care enough to write a couple sentences down, as a courtesy to help others determine surface-level compatibility and spark initial conversation, probably won't care about you trying to engage them either, unless they find you especially physically attractive. Of course, if you do still match with these people and choose to attempt engaging them, all you can do is make an observation about something in one of their photos. Ask them where it was taken, tell them their graphic tee was a good choice if you like whatever it is that's on their shirt, comment on their ever-changing hair color. If you're swiping on people with both no bio and all identical selfies that you can't even find anything in their pics to comment on... stop doing that.

Stallion already recently covered the whole "okay how do I make a good profile myself" angle, though I'm against paying on principle.

Last edited:

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Man, y'alls just refuse to accept the possibility that I'm not really a psychotic I-word and maybe, just maybe, I'm actually a decent guy who's simply unlucky in love (as I am unlucky in everything else) and understandably pretty sad about it after an extended period of time.
what exactly does it mean to be "unlucky" in love?

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I went to therapy recently too. Tried everything else to that point (except moving), why not cover all my bases. She said I seemed very well-spoken and cut me off after three sessions because she felt like she couldn't actually help me, to which I didn't disagree. :blobshrug: So, like, just saying but the literal professional said there's nothing wrong with me. Maybe she was a bad therapist, I dunno.

Exactly, DTC. There are good people who can't find a relationship, there are bad people who have no trouble. Maybe my main problem is living in a rural shithole. It's hard to say because higher population means more competition as much as it means more choice, but at the least I, an educated liberal, would be in more compatible company which itself might lead to improved matching. I think people in big cities don't understand the pain of rural dating. When the number of new profiles you see online daily numbers in single digits, you necessarily have to expand your radius... to include all the people who will almost never see your profile back because they have 800 other options within a 10-mile radius. Nevermind lack of things to go out and do IRL.

Or maybe the algorithms just fuck you and don't bother to show you to anyone. Who knows there. One's love life being largely left up to the whims of proprietary technology designed first and foremost not to produce results but make money (which is, indeed, best done by intentionally not producing results such as to frustrate users enough to pay for premium features)... wew lad, kinda scary.
Why not move?

I wouldn't necessarily move FOR love, but if you live in such a small town and that's affecting your mental health as much as it has, why not try and find a job in a metropolitan area?

In 2017 I moved from a small city (400,000) to a huge one (5,000,000) for a job, and the byproduct of my move was a lot more success with dating women. Bigger city means more people and more people means more compatible people.

As I said in my long post a few pages ago, until you find your other half, dating is a numbers game. Why not stack the odds more in your favour?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Why not move? "Once my finances/savings are more secure..."

I have an assload of student loan debt not being paid off because I haven't managed to be offered the kind of job I should have long since had by now with my (Bachelor's in STEM) degree. That said I'm kinda poor and I'm not high enough up the education/experience ladder to be able to successfully apply to cross-country jobs, so I'd prefer to have some savings built up before I move somewhere in case I have trouble getting a job for a while in my new place. No company is waiting months for a new hire to start an entry-level or second-tier position, so I'm probably going to need to move somewhere first and then try finding work after I get there which will require at least a few months of savings to be safe. I've already researched my options and have a handy short list of the likely options based on cost-of-living, social opportunities, plus total population and gender ratio (of which by far my biggest considerations are Atlanta, GA or staying within Ohio).

My car is paid off in less than a year and my credit cards should be paid off roughly around the same time (built up and down over the years as I've struggled career-wise, not frivolous spending), so I'll be able to kick my savings into high gear then and be in a much more secure position to consider moving. Now, you might say I should just take a chance and do it ASAP but considering the shit I've been through in life, you're not going to convince me the risk is worth taking. It would almost surely end in disaster, as far more sure-things I've had before also did. I'm just going to have to grin and bear it for now, as I have for many years at this point, or hope I hit the proverbial jackpot in the meantime.

It should be stated that I am otherwise not unhappy with where I live. I don't need a whole lot of outside things going on around me, I'm good with just a nearby grocery store and an Internet connection at home. I like being able to actually navigate my hometown and enjoy a low cost-of-living. However, it's kinda hard to meet anyone when there's nothing to go out and do -- though COVID has kinda made that hard most places right now anyway -- and the number of new profiles I see online daily within a 50-mile radius can be counted on one hand. Nevermind that most of those are also country music-loving, camping-fanatic Trumpers who I want nothing to do with even if I found them attractive (and I usually don't).

I feel like location plays a much larger role than a lot of people realize, because "a lot of people" are statistically likely to live in large metros and don't consider the difficulty of rural dating. You have few local options and the people you can swipe at distance will rarely encounter your profile, because big city folks already have nigh-infinite options within 10-30 miles and have no reason to look farther away. And going out? Gee, I can go to dive bar #1 or dive bar #2. Big cities have random things to find on every other street corner and so many more entertainment options, nevermind Meetup groups and conferences and conventions to bring together a more substantial group of niche interests. If dating is a numbers game, vastly increasing the potential numbers available to you is obviously going to be a huge boon.

Last edited:

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
I've met potentially the love of my life through Tinder. We've been talking for roughly a month and half now. I haven't ever felt the way I feel right now so I think that's pretty good. Shes plays volleyball for a neighboring University and we mesh really well together. We hang out usually twice a week and things are great so far.

Roy

streetpkmn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've been in the online dating scene for a longgg time (2 serious relationships, "dating" a handful, and lots of dates in general), have also dealt with anxiety/depression - which absolutely impact getting into the dating scene - and have some insights that might be helpful. It's been some serious trial and error to the point where through all of it, I've learned a tremendous amount about myself, how to approach dating, and ultimately what steps would put me in the best position to find genuine, healthy love.

Again, I truly believe what I'm writing is "the correct" advice after years of therapy, obsessive analysis, and failing so many times. I don't want you guys to keep spinning your wheels like I did for the last at least 7 years (I'm 30).

What a large portion of this thread is missing that has taken me years and years to figure out is how important it is for you to be happy with yourself. If you truly think you're not good enough (you are good enough btw), how can you expect someone else to? My most serious and intense relationship started off because I was depressed and she made me feel worthwhile and happy - for the first time in a long time. Hell, on our first date I got extremely drunk at karaoke and asked for a bartender's number - that's where my mind was! Though the relationship "felt right" and it was extremely passionate, loving, etc., in the end it simply wasn't right. Relationships fail for 2 reasons: bad fit, or bad timing. Neither of us were "wrong," neither of us were "right," it just wasn't a good fit, and certainly not good timing given my mental state.

So we've established it's imperative to love yourself and feel confident in who you are before dating. How do you do that?

You do soul searching. You figure out what makes you, you, and why you're proud of it. Go to therapy if you can - if your parents have insurance, you're covered until 26 years old. Being able to speak out loud, have someone genuinely listen, and offer professional, personally tailored advice to help you improve yourself has been - quite literally - a lifesaver for me. I went from someone who would pop drugs/alcohol on dates in attempts to make myself as desirable as possible, to not doing that and being able to shrug off denial (to an extent, of course). I'm extremely proud of how far I've come, and really just urge you guys to take that step if you find yourself unhappy. To relate back to this thread directly, again, this is paramount before even thinking of the nuances/quirks/merits of dating apps, meeting at bars, or anything else. You got this.

A lot of you struggle with image issues, as I have many times myself. Here's what I've realized: notwithstanding the common view of "I'm just ugly, there's nothing I can do about it," here's the truth: if physical attractiveness matters to you in a partner, you should absolutely hold yourself to a standard that YOU'RE proud of. You don't have to go HAM on starting to workout every day, etc., but it is absolutely shocking how much more physically attractive someone can become from slowly getting in shape, eating decently, buying some cheap clothes that look good on you, spending $20 on teeth whitening - not to mention confidence in and of itself is attractive! You can absolutely be more attractive with much less effort than you think. Shoot me a DM if you want to talk about it.

Alright cool: so life is kind of annoying, but you're feeling fairly happy. You're starting to value yourself more, maybe you hit up therapy, and just timing wise with everything else you're in a good spot to start trying to date. Fasten up, your boy with over 100 dates in his belt who has been in fulfilling relationships, not so fulfilling relationships, seen many successful dating app marriages, and lived in multiple places - is here to give you the 100% objective truth on how dating apps should be approached to maximize success and efficiency for finding a great fit.

But we first have to address the notion "dating apps are complete shit because of x y z." Well yeah, if you're using them incorrectly - otherwise they are an incredible way to effectively play the "law of large numbers" game for finding a girlfriend.

I will walk through with you what to do step by step:

1) Download Hinge, Bumble, and Tinder

2) On each, make a profile.

Here's something fundamental with dating apps guys: every little thing you put in needs to be both representative of yourself and concisely sums up some cool things about you other people might like. Swiping left/right is making as educated of a guess as possible if you'd be a good fit for someone, so put your best foot forward! Big fan of the outdoors? Find a cool pic of yourself in nature, or just a cool picture you took. Love your family? Put a pic of them in. In your profile bio, be concise and write about some of your interests. It doesn't need to be dramatic, over the top, or anything else.

For example:

Aggie. Soccer fan. Music Enthusiast. Adventurer.

I drink and I know things.

---

In doing so - while it's obviously not perfect (which seems to be a big complaint of everyone), you are showing sides of you that can invite conversation. Maybe they went to my college, - or hate the Aggies. Maybe we can talk about music, or traveling. Maybe they're a fan of Game of Thrones and we can bitch about how bad the last few seasons were!

3) Start swiping - but do so intelligently.

You will match with people. You won't match with people. You'll match and you'll decide you don't want to message them. They'll match you and decide they don't want to message you. You'll be ghosted.

There's no rules to dating apps and you cannot be upset if someone doesn't feel like responding. That will happen a lot, and you'll have to learn to shrug it off.

4) You match someone and message first (Tinder, Hinge)

There is one rule to pickup lines: don't try to hard. Be yourself; aka if you start off with a joke, don't make it to impress them for validation. In fact, it's completely ok to say something as simple as "Hey xyz - how's your week been?"

I've made a lot of "this is the most important thing so listen carefully" points, but what I'm about to say is the most important thing, so listen carefully.

Your goal is not to give your life story, play 20 questions, or anything crazy - bullshit small talk is a necessity for what I personally believe is the most important function of dating apps: to get you to go on a legit date with someone where you can ACTUALLY quickly move past the often awkward, impersonal texts back and forth on a dating app. Think of it as an investment.

5) Message back and forth for a few days. Don't be clingy, respond in two seconds (whether true or not, it does give the impression that you are desperate, and that is 1) a turn off and 2) incorrect)

On the 3rd day of some back and forth, ask her (or him) on a date. This is where people struggle the most. If it's early during the week, say something like: Wanna grab drinks either on Wednesday or Thurs? xyz bar has a really chill vibe and would be fun.

Easy. You were direct (attractive), gave me them options/didn't appear too desperate (attractive) and offered a place you genuinely like going to that would be fun. That already says a lot about you. Also - while I do think bars are the premier place for first dates, coffee shops are also really good. Both safe and effective bets for a first date.

She responds. Cool, get her number, text her the next morning and say what's up. Again, you've already scheduled to meet in person, so why risk the downside of incorrectly displaying who you are over text? Play it cool, be yourself, and be confident on the date!

Was the date fun, and you want to see her again (would be dinner next time btw), text her the next morning you had a fun time and should hang out again! If she felt the same way, cool! If not, or you were ghosted, no big deal! It wasn't going to be a good fit anyway. Also - on the topic of ghosting: remember how I said there weren't really any rules to dating apps? Ghosting is extremely common, can be hurtful, but honestly guys: if you get ghosted, that's literally the same thing as being told they don't want to hang out again. It will happen a lot, but who cares.

6) Do it again at a rate you that is reasonable to you!

Does 1 date a month feel like enough? If you are actively trying to find a partner, that isn't enough - from a mathematical standpoint. If you are matching with some people, are having good conversation, etc., what's so bad about going on even 1 date a week - if everything else in your life feels somewhat in order? There is absolutely nothing wrong with it and is in fact a great way to eventually finding a great fit. Still, ease into it, but adjust expectations accordingly. Also: I absolutely understand how the nuances to one's, for example, location that would make this not feasible; i.e., living in a rural area. That's really annoying, and I'll think more about what I would personally do if isolated but willing to do a long distance relationship.

That's it, y'all. If you can't already tell, I love talking about this kind of stuff. If you have any questions or want some advice, would love to help out - either post them in this thread or shoot me a DM.

I've been on a grand total of 1 online date in my life, and I can describe it with a resounding meh. It didn't feel any worse or better than a more "conventional" date, at least in regards to the date itself. We had some fun, but mutually decided the chemistry wasn't there.

The myth about online dating being desperate or not classy just seems ridiculous when it's an objectively better method of getting a date compared to looking for one locally. Sure, the people you meet can vary, but it's no more random than bumping into John/Jane Doe at Starbucks and getting a date there. Either way, you'll see the worst in someone soon enough, assuming they're that kind of person.

In other words, online dating isn't something that I'm personally interested in doing again (I've been single for about 3 years since then, and I just don't feel the need to force myself into a relationship for the sake of it), but I think it's a perfectly fine avenue if one needs to broaden their range.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
What a large portion of this thread is missing that has taken me years and years to figure out is how important it is for you to be happy with yourself.

-snip-
I pretty much just gave up and started putting absolute minimal investment in. Two+ years of solid effort on the self-improvement treadmill has rather cemented confidence into me because I've learned to stop being results-oriented. I've run out of ways to stop blaming myself for my failures and I'm still not getting anywhere with this garbage, it's pretty clear to me at this point that I'm not the problem (or at least it's nothing I can fix such as my height). Why waste 10 hours a week swiping and searching through profiles for literally zero return on investment when I can spend an hour for the same results?

Also: I absolutely understand how the nuances to one's, for example, location that would make this not feasible; i.e., living in a rural area. That's really annoying, and I'll think more about what I would personally do if isolated but willing to do a long distance relationship.
I think location plays a much bigger factor than many people realize. I live in a rural pocket of Ohio. The population here is roughly ~100k and the nearest major metro is an hour away. Do you know how many local profiles I see daily online? I'm lucky if I see more than one. All those women I'm swiping and liking and messaging that live an hour away, how many of them do you think are even seeing my profile let alone eager to match if they do? Virtually zero, probably. People who live in big cities don't need to extend their radius to look for matches because they already have nigh-infinite in their little urban bubble, especially women (as a heterosexual male). Anecdotal experience browsing dating shit online has revealed that most people don't bother setting their distance filters past even 30 miles, let alone 50+.

Alright then, what about offline? Even ignoring COVID, there ain't shit to go out and do here anyway! Bar hop or join a gym, and I don't drink. (The latter has actually born friendly fruit for me in the form of a yoga studio but I digress.) And whatever you do find to do, the population is still much smaller. Your options are often thin, if not entirely nonexistent. Nevermind the fact that I'm an educated liberal in a rural-conversative area, so the few women that might otherwise be an option for me are rarely a good match anyway. I don't like hunting and camping and Trump.

I need to move, man.

Last edited:
I pretty much just gave up and started putting absolute minimal investment in. Two+ years of solid effort on the self-improvement treadmill has rather cemented confidence into me because I've learned to stop being results-oriented. I've run out of ways to stop blaming myself for my failures and I'm still not getting anywhere with this garbage, it's pretty clear to me at this point that I'm not the problem (or at least it's nothing I can fix such as my height). Why waste 10 hours a week swiping and searching through profiles for literally zero return on investment when I can spend an hour for the same results?

I think location plays a much bigger factor than many people realize. I live in a rural pocket of Ohio. The population here is roughly ~100k and the nearest major metro is an hour away. Do you know how many local profiles I see daily online? I'm lucky if I see more than one. All those women I'm swiping and liking and messaging that live an hour away, how many of them do you think are even seeing my profile let alone eager to match if they do? Virtually zero, probably. People who live in big cities don't need to extend their radius to look for matches because they already have nigh-infinite in their little urban bubble, especially women (as a heterosexual male). Anecdotal experience browsing dating shit online has revealed that most people don't bother setting their distance filters past even 30 miles, let alone 50+.

Alright then, what about offline? Even ignoring COVID, there ain't shit to go out and do here anyway! Bar hop or join a gym, and I don't drink. (The latter has actually born friendly fruit for me in the form of a yoga studio but I digress.) And whatever you do find to do, the population is still much smaller. Your options are often thin, if not entirely nonexistent. Nevermind the fact that I'm an educated liberal in a rural-conversative area, so the few women that might otherwise be an option for me are rarely a good match anyway. I don't like hunting and camping and Trump.

I need to move, man.
I feel you bro, on these apps, even if you are good looking and/or slightly defined, you need to take really good photos to stand out. A friend of mine made two accounts, one with average photos and one with him shirtless and showing his well defined physique and he got alot of matches with the latter. Obviously not saying that you aren't doing this but it might be that you are not putting yourself out there as best as you can.

The sad truth on these apps is if you aren't a 9/10 in terms of looks then most girls won't really bother with you. Tons of posts on this on various forums and on YouTube videos but the disproportionate amount of likes girls get compared to guys means that even a 4/5 girl wouldnt go for someone who might be above average in terms of looks.

obviously it's way different once you pass a certain age and there are now other factors to consider

Keep up the good fight man

Good on you anyways for getting into shape for YOURSELF.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
More like I either win by getting the ladies or I "win" by proving all the self-improvement bullshit is just that. Well, turns out it's the latter so I have to keep doing it indefinitely to prove the haters wrong. I'm no quitter. :blobshrug:

I was never in especially bad shape anyway, I just went from good to great. Self-improvement is more than just working out, though. Unfortunately, I haven't grown any taller.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
can we get a guide for the gays
its different
How is it different?

More like I either win by getting the ladies or I "win" by proving all the self-improvement bullshit is just that. Well, turns out it's the latter so I have to keep doing it indefinitely to prove the haters wrong. I'm no quitter. :blobshrug:

I was never in especially bad shape anyway, I just went from good to great. Self-improvement is more than just working out, though. Unfortunately, I haven't grown any taller.
Self-improvement isn't only being physically fit. Dress sense, skin, hair, facial hair, etc etc. There's also the non-physical stuff like being funny, an interesting person, not being obnoxious, being kind, etc etc.

Good luck, Mr.E

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
I mean, I know I need to move. I've done basic research and narrowed my options down to a best few cities a long time ago. It's just a matter of financial stability/savings/risk because it's not like I'm really high enough up the education/experience latter to secure a job before moving. I have a Bachelor's and I've been floundering for a fucking decade because nobody wants to offer me the kind of job I fucking deserve. Anyway, companies don't hire out-of-towners and wait months for them to be able to start for entry- or second-level positions. Moving isn't as easy as some people make it out to be, even for someone relatively unattached like me. Well maybe it is for other people, what do I know.

To stay on-topic, I had a potential date lined up last Saturday. She didn't realize how far away I was at first and ultimately ended up cancelling and unmatching, however, even though I was planning to make the full commute. I just wanted to meet someone new, plus I wanted an excuse to go to Columbus anyway for other reasons. Oh well. Good effort, ol' chap. I tried. I think the distance being non-obvious is exactly why Hinge has been far more successful for me in terms of raw matches than all other platforms combined, but at the end of the day I still haven't gotten a single actual date out of it in the nine months I've had my phone and been using it. :blobshrug:

Reactions: BP

Annika

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
I've never used a dating app, so I can't speak to that experience, but I think one of the strengths of going on dates virtually, rather than in person, is that you have a lot more flexibility.

At the end of the day, on a virtual date, you're really just spending time with someone (whom you hopefully like!) on a video call. You don't have to restrict yourself to traditional date activities, and the other person won't expect you to do so. You can do something traditional virtually, like watching a movie or eating dinner, but you can also just sit around and talk, play an online game, send each other memes, show each other things you've made/are working on, etc. The possibilities are limitless!

I'm not one for traditions and customs, so I'm pretty happy about this; I hope people forced to go on virtual dates in the pandemic come to appreciate it. You can defy traditions on in-person dates, too, but I think people are more likely to do so earlier on in relationships if they're not doing things in person.

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
I'm not one for traditions and customs, so I'm pretty happy about this; I hope people forced to go on virtual dates in the pandemic come to appreciate it. You can defy traditions on in-person dates, too, but I think people are more likely to do so earlier on in relationships if they're not doing things in person.
Regarding Virtual dating, I personally have a distaste for the idea of it. I do not like the idea of sitting online and trying to gauge a person's personality. This might be from the countless advertisements I've seen for them during the pandemic. While I'm definitely open to try it I definitely have a negative opinion on how they turn out.

I mean, I know I need to move.
I live at a University that is known for its engineering program. There are a ton of jokes about how low the female population is here and while some are just based on stereotypes there is some truth to it. I ended up matching with my current girlfriend when I visited a much larger neighboring city. It does increase your options to live in a much more dense area.

obviously it's way different once you pass a certain age and there are now other factors to consider
This is 100% true. How you look does play a factor in how many matches you'll receive from a certain age/personality range of the opposite sex. This changes, later on, depending on what age group you are pooling from. I was fortunate enough to match with someone who wasn't looking for 1-night stands or a fwb sort of deal and our personalities blend well together. This isn't to say we're made for each other because we definitely are sorting through some issues right now but there will always be someone else if it doesn't work out.

The best advice I can give is to try to be interesting but not too interesting, try to care but don't care too much, be honest but not an asshole, and finally be "chill" but not too "chill"

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
A video "date" is better than a static profile, but ultimately it's no substitute for an in-person meeting. Seeing someone in three dimensions is just different than seeing them in two, hearing their voice directly is different from the digital recreation piped through their microphone and your speakers. You don't get to gauge how your date interacts around others. You don't get to take in their scent or grasp the full extent of their body language and other mannerisms. Physical chemistry does matter. The point of online dating should simply be to facilitate in-person interactions with people you aren't otherwise fortunate enough to cross paths with during your normal daily business.

I met my current SO on Craigslist back when they had personals haha. Throughout my decade plus of online dating I have loads of experience and can say that you can find almost anything on the internet. No matter what you are into, what you look like, etc you will find what you are looking for if you don't give up. Your mindset is the most important thing. Just be yourself and be confident. Don't get caught up in self doubt and negative thoughts and know there is no one out of your league.

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
ok i'll bite, i need the story time bestie... how the fuck!!!
I second this also nui ily.

Also I'll share my experiences with online dating. As a 20 year old the options are Bumble or Tinder. Usually I'd go outside but pandemic and dat ya know... So I had my fun on those apps being reasonably attractive. I didn't get that many likes or matches but just enough to schedule a few dates. For me it was weird dating complete strangers. I had never gone out with anyone I didn't know or has seen around and has a crush on. Long story short not for me. No relationship really worked out. It felt awkward and we didn't really do much other than hang out inside. It just didn't feel natural. I am forever going to stick to meeting people through school or work and allowing a wonderful relationship to blossom. I will not encourage people to do the same because different things work for different people. The advice I will give is do not rush into a relationship. Another person may be able to fix your loneliness but they don't necessarily fix your happiness. Live your life day by day and hopefully your soul mate will knock over your water bottle at lunch or tell you your phone's flashlight was on in your backpack during an exam like my first non online gf did (true story). I am single now but I am excited to get back into the real non socially distanced world being vaccinated and nearly post pandemic. Maybe if I'm single at 30 I will try Match(dot)com. But until then, life awaits. Signing off for now, Drew aka Jammy A Grip.

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Hey Drew! I get where you're coming from - meeting complete strangers through apps can feel pretty weird, especially if you're used to meeting people through school or work.
LMAO I’m in a relationship now and met her off Tinder… so turns out I was wrong. We’ve been dating since September and she’s awesome. What the hell do I know about anything ngl!

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
LMAO I’m in a relationship now and met her off Tinder… so turns out I was wrong. We’ve been dating since September and she’s awesome. What the hell do I know about anything ngl!
Yeah ngl, before I met my fiancé I was pretty heavy into dating apps. I personally think after the first couple of dates (1-2) it stops being awkward completely unless that's the other persons vibe. I'm not gonna lie I've had some success with online dating but you pretty much in a pool with everybody (completely unfiltered aside from age and gender pref) including people who are truly weird but hey it's an experience nevertheless.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Online dating is something I have a really, really big problem with. In theory, online dating is a great way for people to interact from a greater distance apart from one another, presumably also able to converse about topics that one side and/or the other may not feel comfortable talking about in person or over the phone or voice call.

In practice, however, the social instability of an unpredictable world means people can never truly be safe unless they have hard, concrete evidence that who they're talking to is who they say they are. And even then, time and time again we see people manipulate others into doing terrible things with promises of lust, love, and good fortunes. Committing to an online relationship is a big risk that a person like myself doesn't think is worth taking. In the age of the Internet, I think a lot of younger people, myself included, are slowly forgetting the important ethical and moral values gained from in-person conversations. The advent of the Internet means people have access to a greater variety of information than ever before... sometimes a little too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)