Metagame NP: NU (beta): Welcome to the NU Age (Combusken Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to playing it :). Cool to see some RU mons drop from last gen like Dusclops and Spiritomb, I bet they'll fit NU nicely.
dusclops was uu last gen you mean dusknoir but echoing the spritomb hype, its a good check to sawk (being a ghost that takes koffs well and burns with will-o-wisp) qwilphish (taunt albeit slow but its taunt)

xy nu! so juiced!! been playing ru a ton lately and this tier looks like it's going to be super fun. once the meta develops and a few op mons are bumped up i think it will be very balanced and reward creative teambuilding.

Offensive Support HYPE.
Offensive support is so necessary in the current metagame atm, with the need to maintain offensive pressure while helping to glue your team together against certain moves, they offer key utility to the rather offensive teams of the current metagame, but do not lose momentum to allow an opponent to set up.

Xatu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SAtk / 8 SDef / 216 Spd / 32 HP
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- Grass Knot
- Roost

Man this thing is awesome, I rarely use any other Xatu set. What sets it apart from Sigilyph is obviously Magic Bounce, and while it has no Magic Guard, it still functions as a really good Life Orb Attacker. This set rather than walling Stealth Rockers attempts to simply destroy them. Heat Wave for steels such as Metang or Steelix, while Grass Knot is reserved for other stealth rocking powerhouses such as Seismitoad, Golem, and Golurk. Psyshock is used for coverage, as well as to fuck physical walls, and roost allows you to recover Life Orb damage to allow you to come in and magic bounce more often.

Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 HP / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head / Iron Tail
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

LO SHEER FORCE STEELIX HYPEEEE. No but for real, this thing offers invaluable utility to many teams, being able to consistently check Fairies, Rocks, Flyings, etc. throughout the match with its sheer bulk, yet after tanking their hits can hit like any other attacker would with its sheer force, taking down at least 1-2 pokemon per match, being an incredible offensive lead to get past typical checks to Steelix.

Pangoro @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 156 Spd / 252 Atk / 100 HP
- Crunch
- Storm Throw / Hammer Arm
- Stone Edge
- Parting Shot

Pangoro is sick, I don't know what you people are talking about. The fact it baits out fairies such as Mr. Mime and just gives them -1 offenses with a pseudo memento is baller. This allows it to support offensive sweeping allies without giving a shit, unlike poor memento users who give their life doing so. It also has our favorite Sawk Combo, Mold Breaker Storm Throw to blits through defensive Sturdy and Solid Rock users early in the match to prevent rocks.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-118108181

Fought my first NU match just now vs Kavatika (we both used teams by Aladyyn thank u fren :o). Observations:

- Archeops seems to me like a very scary offensive lead, with its biggest downfall being that it's unable to set up rocks more than once or twice due to frailty/rocks weakness/defiant, making it possible deadweight after a while. Still a cool lead though, definitely something to look out for.
- Virizion is pretty beastly, as has been displayed in the replay. I used LO CM here, but it can just as well go straight for a SD set with CC, Leaf Blade and Stone Edge, getting the same kind of coverage while accumulating boosts faster and not having to rely on a 70% accurate STAB. It'll probably leave the tier soon though (Shaymin left RU, meaning there's more room for Virizion to shine), so profit from it while you can!
- Zangoose does big dommage to literally anything, I can see this thing running through unprepared teams without any trouble whatsoever.

These are the standouts to me in the match (even though Archeops didn't really pull through in this match, I think it should focus on just being a suicide lead, taunting shit and laying rocks while being very threatening in the meantime), I'll post later once I've done some more matches.

Quite Quiet

A tomahawk of honesty in the skull of lies
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Playing a few matches, trying some things out I figured another thing out. Gourgeist-Super is disgustingly bulky. Will-o-Wisp only help it tanking hits, even if it will take physical hits all day long for no trouble anyway. No reliable recovery is annoying, but with lefties and leech seed it get enough back.

And a note about trends that seems to be popping up: Watching a fair amount of battles, Pelipper seems to be everywhere.

Archeops could actually do more than just be a suicide lead, seeing as it can beat the 4 arguably most threatening pokemon in the tier right now.

252 Atk Archeops Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sigilyph: 416-492 (119.5 - 141.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Venomoth: 576-678 (167.4 - 197%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0- SpA Archeops Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Durant: 308-364 (119.3 - 141%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 996-1176 (307.4 - 362.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And it outspeeds all of them.

This bird has huge potential and access to some great support moves as well - Stealth Rock, Defog, fast Taunt, U-Turn, Knock Off, Switcheroo, and even priority in Quick Attack if that's your jam.

Also CB Head Smash, which sounds incredibly funny.

I have found the most powerful core of Pokemon in all the land. MUH BULLS

Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
Just a nit-pit, but what KO'es does Earthquake score that Bulldoze does not? I'd use Bulldoze as an alternative so you won't wear down your Tauros with LO.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Support HYPE.
Offensive support is so necessary in the current metagame atm, with the need to maintain offensive pressure while helping to glue your team together against certain moves, they offer key utility to the rather offensive teams of the current metagame, but do not lose momentum to allow an opponent to set up.

Xatu @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- Grass Knot
- Roost

Man this thing is awesome, I rarely use any other Xatu set. What sets it apart from Sigilyph is obviously Magic Bounce, and while it has no Magic Guard, it still functions as a really good Life Orb Attacker. This set rather than walling Stealth Rockers attempts to simply destroy them. Heat Wave for steels such as Metang or Steelix, while Grass Knot is reserved for other stealth rocking powerhouses such as Seismitoad, Golem, and Golurk. Psyshock is used for coverage, as well as to fuck physical walls, and roost allows you to recover Life Orb damage to allow you to come in and magic bounce more often.
I really love this set, but I tweaked the EVs and use a spread of: 152 HP / 180 SpA / 176 Spe and it's imo a more efficient spread than a spread taken from BW UU. 180 SpA is just enough to KO what you need to; it always OHKOes Golurk, gives Xatu a good chance to OHKO Steelix after Sturdy, and obviously OHKOes all of Seismitoad, Rhydon, and Golem. In addition, it 2HKOes Doublade, Roselia, and Qwilfish. 176 Spe is enough to outrun Adamant Sawk and OHKO (YES XATU IS THAT FAST), and by extension every relevant entry hazard setter bar like Archeops and Accelgor. 152 HP is a Stealth Rock number and also Life Orb number so Xatu takes a lot less residual damage :)

Also, Psychic > Psyshock is equally viable but that just depends on weather you prefer to OHKO Qwilfish or OHKO Roselia (both are 2HKOed anyways, and with the 152 HP none of them can 2HKO Xatu before they die)

Use Xatu, guys, it's real fun using it!

Here are the calcs:
Heat Wave:

180+ SpA Life Orb Xatu Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 36 SpD Steelix: 320-377 (90.39 - 106.49%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (116 BP) vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Xatu: 147-174 (47.57 - 56.31%) -- 27.34% chance to 2HKO

180+ SpA Life Orb Xatu Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 278-328 (86.33 - 101.86%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Psyshock:

180+ SpA Life Orb Xatu Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Eviolite Roselia: 351-413 (115.84 - 136.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 152 HP / 0 SpD Xatu: 130-154 (42.07 - 49.83%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

180+ SpA Life Orb Xatu Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Qwilfish: 250-296 (74.85 - 88.62%)
0 Atk Qwilfish Waterfall vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Xatu: 111-132 (35.92 - 42.71%) -- 95% chance to 3HKO

Psychic:

180+ SpA Life Orb Xatu Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 174-211 (57.42 - 69.63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
180+ SpA Life Orb Xatu Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Qwilfish: 515-608 (154.19 - 182.03%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Grass Knot:

180+ SpA Life Orb Xatu Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Golurk: 341-403 (100.58 - 118.87%) -- guaranteed OHKO
180+ SpA Life Orb Xatu Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 200 HP / 56 SpD Seismitoad: 447-530 (111.47 - 132.16%) -- guaranteed OHKO

180+ SpA Life Orb Xatu Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 88 HP / 84 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 504-598 (135.12 - 160.32%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The nice thing about Xatu is that, apart from the fact that it kills almost every entry hazard setter there is, its mere presence also means the opponent will be more cautious about using entry hazards. In all my matches I've played, believe it or not, this guy allowed me to have a field free of entry hazards, which is amazing :)

------

Pyroar @ Charcoal
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Endeavor

Brawlfest is wrong when he said this set is not as good. I pair it up with a Typhlosion and it's really great... Endeavor is an amazing move because together with another Fire-type, Pyroar can easily lure in counters such as Ninetales, Lanturn, etc. and bring them down to easy KO range with Endeavor. Usually opponents only have one or two counters to Fire spam, so instead of using Magmortar I decided to try Pyroar and I'm really glad with its Speed and secondary STAB move + Endeavor. And to top it all off, Pyroar's typing makes it a perfect switch in to stuff like Mismagius and Doublade lacking Sacred Sword and set up a Substitute.

Also, fire spam + Xatu set above is really damn effective... because in all my matches I've played I've never had SR up on my side, my fire mons could run wild :)

Other really fun stuff so far include:

- Doublade: counters Virizion, Jynx, Durant, Kangaskhan, and like half of the tier, seriously it's so damn good, everyone give it a shot! I posted calcs about it in the old thread in BW NU, so if you're not convinced of its power + bulk just take a look
- Vivillon (Hurricane from this really hurts)
- Sand - Zebraiken used it and it was pretty good especially with little competition for auto weather (Snover sucks)

Last edited:
Archeops could actually do more than just be a suicide lead, seeing as it can beat the 4 arguably most threatening pokemon in the tier right now.

252 Atk Archeops Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sigilyph: 416-492 (119.5 - 141.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Venomoth: 576-678 (167.4 - 197%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0- SpA Archeops Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Durant: 308-364 (119.3 - 141%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 996-1176 (307.4 - 362.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And it outspeeds all of them.

This bird has huge potential and access to some great support moves as well - Stealth Rock, Defog, fast Taunt, U-Turn, Knock Off, Switcheroo, and even priority in Quick Attack if that's your jam.

Also CB Head Smash, which sounds incredibly funny.
Archeops gets Heat Wave.

Thanks, I didn't realize that :x. Though you really only want to nail Durant, so not missing 10% is pretty beneficial when you ohko every time anyway.

Might as well run Heat Wave, it's a potential KO even at defeatist. (Guarenteed KO with a neutral nature.)
0- SpA Defeatist Archeops Heat Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Durant: 244-288 (94.5 - 111.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Defeatist Archeops Heat Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Durant: 272-320 (105.4 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Offensive Support HYPE.

Xatu @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- Grass Knot
- Roost

Steelix @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 HP / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head / Iron Tail
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

LO SHEER FORCE STEELIX HYPEEEE. No but for real, this thing offers invaluable utility to many teams, being able to consistently check Fairies, Rocks, Flyings, etc. throughout the match with its sheer bulk, yet after tanking their hits can hit like any other attacker would with its sheer force, taking down at least 1-2 pokemon per match, being an incredible offensive lead to get past typical checks to Steelix.

Pangoro @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 156 Spd / 252 Atk / 100 HP
- Crunch
- Storm Throw / Hammer Arm
- Stone Edge
- Parting Shot

Pangoro is sick, I don't know what you people are talking about. The fact it baits out fairies such as Mr. Mime and just gives them -1 offenses with a pseudo memento is baller. This allows it to support offensive sweeping allies without giving a shit, unlike poor memento users who give their life doing so. It also has our favorite Sawk Combo, Mold Breaker Storm Throw to blits through defensive Sturdy and Solid Rock users early in the match to prevent rocks.
Just saying Parting Shot is a sound-based move, Mime is immune to it .-. But yeah, the panda is still an amazing mon

Last edited:

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm surprised to see eelektross get ru usage. What happened to it this gen?
Its main role was to check tornadus but it also did well enough in the meta for it not to be dead weight, taking on highly used pokes such as rhyperior, milotic, shaymin and a few others. With these pokes moving out of ru i wouldn't be surprised if its usage drops very quickly.

Quite Quiet

A tomahawk of honesty in the skull of lies
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Do you know how bad you have messed up?
Liligant got hurt badly by the nerfs and Virizion didn't like Tornadus in RU. And who messed up anyway?
We're not the ones who are making the Nu list, you have to blame RU, UU and OU for that. But mostly RU

On the note of Lilligant though, Vivillon also came along and right now it's looking to be a big threat who also happens to Quiver Dance. They're not exactly the same, but it's not the only QD'er who have an easy time setting up anymore. It doesn't help Sleep Powder got nerfed, which was a big help for it to set up in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)